Saints 0-9 Leicester - Reaction

Lighthouse

Once the bewilderment of Friday died down it started to hurt a lot, and still does. That kind of result can be enough to put people off for good.

I’m tied by my Season Ticket, but I’ve literally fallen out of love with the match day experience. I’ve never felt such disconnect to a Saints team in my life, I genuinely wouldn’t give a **** if any of the players in our squad never featured again. We need about 5 or 6 new signings AT LEAST to get anywhere near a midtable side, and need to stop patching up the starting XI with half decent players when there team around them is so ****.

Heard Adam Blackmore saying how Jonny Evans had only cost Leicester £3.5 million, and what a stark contrast it was to the £17 million paid for Hoedt. We need to get smarter in the transfer market as there’s players out there that could turn us around, we just need to focus on bringing in players that will keep us strong for few years without worrying about how much money we can sell them on for.

We need backroom staff with at least some football knowledge and nous,I doubt there is anyone there with that.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2019/10/26/ralph-hasenhuttl-given-southampton-backing-board-decide-players/

I thought these comments were pretty spot on plus it looks like Nelly has a “golden visa” if she lives in London. Strange she isn’t a regular in the box in Southampton. Is this their level of commitment?

We are ****ed

One days wages? Whoop-de-f**king-do you bunch of heroes.

They should donate a weeks wages as clearly the training they did was an absolute waste of time and they’d have been as well prepared spending the week playing FIFA and doing their nails. They should give the whole stadium an open bar for the rest of the season and pay the tab at the end of the season.

I still haven't seen one interview with a player where they are pressed on what happened out on the pitch, ok offer apologies and donate wages but i want to hear them honestly admit they stopped trying and then explain why. There's more to it than this one performance.

They should donate a weeks wages as clearly the training they did was an absolute waste of time and they’d have been as well prepared spending the week playing FIFA and doing their nails. They should give the whole stadium an open bar for the rest of the season and pay the tab at the end of the season.

They were all getting yet another tattoo........well except Redmond who would be getting a thick ear off his Mum if he came home with one of them.

Blimey, I had to re read the article to realise it was 1 day not 1 week. That’s possibly worse, at least from one view (obviously for charity any money is better than nothing), because it’s like they are acknowledging they should do something but don’t want it to actually affect them in anyway. They basically want to be SEEN to have done something.

Blimey, I had to re read the article to realise it was 1 day not 1 week. That’s possibly worse, at least from one view (obviously for charity any money is better than nothing), because it’s like they are acknowledging they should do something but don’t want it to actually affect them in anyway. They basically want to be SEEN to have done something.
I agree, it seems to be a token 'what can we do to make us look decent' without actually feeling any pain. Ok a lot of the backroom staff dont deserve to lose a weeks wage but the players??

I'm still in shock at the result. It's a very odd feeling, ultimately it's just a game of football. But *my* team is the one in the record books for having lost 9-0 at home. And it could easily have been double figures.

I honestly don't know where they go from here. Hopefully we will get a response and form picks up, but I just don't know if that will ever be enough for this group of players now. I think they will need to win some silverware in the short to medium term to make up for this game.

This put a different slant on things in my head.

The chap next door is a Leicester fan has been since a nipper. I found out this morning he had been to see them in Cup games but never in his 60 odd years been to a league game, Friday night was the first league game he had been to! He went along with a friend who has been a Saints ST holder for years and took him along as a bit of a treat and boy what a treat it was for him, especially as sadly he doesn't have long left with us, as he has terminal bowel cancer and is trying whatever he can to see out this Christmas!

Whilst this doesnt alter the frustration of the result as a Saints fan, the fact that my neighbour was there to see "such a surreal match" just took the edge off, as this top bloke had a bit of the sparkle thats been missing from him recently.

incredble that Vestergaard is getting more stick than Yoshida for Friday, Yoshida always has and always will be a championship defender

From my point of view the whole team needs stick, this wasn't the fault of just one player and just because Vest is getting stick it doesn't mean the Yoshi gets away without criticism. Our defence was a complete mess, but midfield wasn't much better...

The chap next door is a Leicester fan has been since a nipper. I found out this morning he had been to see them in Cup games but never in his 60 odd years been to a league game, Friday night was the first league game he had been to! He went along with a friend who has been a Saints ST holder for years and took him along as a bit of a treat and boy what a treat it was for him, especially as sadly he doesn't have long left with us, as he has terminal bowel cancer and is trying whatever he can to see out this Christmas!

Whilst this doesnt alter the frustration of the result as a Saints fan, the fact that my neighbour was there to see "such a surreal match" just took the edge off, as this top bloke had a bit of the sparkle thats been missing from him recently.

Yep, at the end of the day it's just a game of football but to that chap it means a whole lot more.

Good luck to him and I hope he gets his wish and then some.

My thoughts also, in fact, intentionally or not, the headline over this story was misleading because it gave the impression of a meaningful financial gesture. If all they are donating is 1/365th of a players annual wage, for a lot of fans that would be less than £100 and for many people, a lot less.

More important is the report that the club plan changes in the playing staff in the short-term as well as the long term. Limited by the inability to make signings until January, the short-term doesn't seem to offer many opportunities unless there is an unnoticed star or two in the Academy. Maybe it's time for Christian Klarer and Callum Slattery to be given their chances but surely, the truth is, some significant January spending is needed if FFP and the budget will allow it.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2019/10/26/ralph-hasenhuttl-given-southampton-backing-board-decide-players/

I thought these comments were pretty spot on plus it looks like Nelly has a “golden visa” if she lives in London. Strange she isn’t a regular in the box in Southampton. Is this their level of commitment?

This sounds like a genius strategy. The players are to blame and the aim is to replace the players before the manager. Oh, but we have no money to buy players. This is not going to end well.

Hey he saw history in top flight english football

A few random notes:

1. We were 2nd in the Prem at this time 5 yrs ago under Koeman and a more suitable way of scouting players.

2. I dont believe the players were not trying. However they were totally inept and the Manager got his tactics wrong.

3. If Leicester had been reduced to 10 men I reckon they would still have won at they were superior to us in every way.

4. Did we win the toss and decide to defend the Northam end, as I recollect Leicester kicked off the first half?

If so, that went well!!!

5. Credit to those of us who suffered the full 90 mins especially those who got behind the team.

6. Our midfield is poor (but not as poor as the back line). That said, what back up do we have if Romeu and Hojborg are out?

7. Around £95m of 'talent' (discounting injured players) were not involved in the game on Friday and I reckon the club would do well to recoup £20m of this outlay in the open market.

8. I have had to apologise to my lad for encouraging him to support Saints!!!

My thoughts also, in fact, intentionally or not, the headline over this story was misleading because it gave the impression of a meaningful financial gesture. If all they are donating is 1/365th of a players annual wage, for a lot of fans that would be less than £100 and for many people, a lot less.

More important is the report that the club plan changes in the playing staff in the short-term as well as the long term. Limited by the inability to make signings until January, the short-term doesn't seem to offer many opportunities unless there is an unnoticed star or two in the Academy. Maybe it's time for Christian Klarer and Callum Slattery to be given their chances but surely, the truth is, some significant January spending is needed if FFP and the budget will allow it.

You're right, the players will hardly notice 1/365th of their pay, especially if the club do one of those tax deductable schemes where the donation is deducted from their pay before tax.

Hope Saints foundation are able to invest it into some good community schemes but nowhere near enough to make up for the shame of Friday night, the players still have a huge debt to repay.

I don't think Klarer and Slattery are the answer but might as well play them, couldn't do any worse than the other jokers masquerading as professionals.

• 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...
On 10/25/2019 at 10:12 PM, S-Clarke said:

I think we're gone. If you lose like that, then you're pretty much condemned in any season.

We're dead on our feet with the most dislikeable and meek group of players we’ve ever, ever had. I do believe we’ve got a good manager there, but ultimately; he’s come in at the wrong time and has had absolutely zero backing.

I'm not going to bother going through the match, as I left at HT so there's no point. But to lose 9-0 at any level suggests you are not good enough for said level, so I think that's the crux of it.

The inevitable has been brewing for the last 3-4 years, and it will probably finally come to roost this year. I maybe naively felt as Ralph kept us up last year, the club would genuinely back someone who is a good manager – but alas, I was wrong.

Underinvestment, uninterested owners and horrific scouting have put this club back 10+ years, and to think 4 years ago we were playing in the Europa League. That's a long way from us, and there's a long road back.

First thing is to get rid of that utterly pathetic little man from our club, who is supposed to be our owner. Just get him out, by hook or crook. Get someone in who can sort out the utter mess he's created and then we may have something to move towards, but whilst he’s here the club is dying week by week.

But as for this season, I think it's done. Hopefully this post is bounced at the end of the season and we can have a good old laugh, but somehow I doubt it.

I'll bounce my own post and I can now have a good old laugh at it!

I didn't imagine us turning it around from that, but credit to Ralph for sorting that out and getting us re-focused. My support for Ralph never waivered, I think he's top draw, so I genuinely hope at some point he is given some backing as he could make us a proper team - up there with the Wolves and Leicester's.

• Like 1

What bright spark dug this up from the dark corner where it should have remained accumulating dust and cobwebs - there is nothing cathartic in a revisitation.

Reminded me of waking up in China to turn off my alarm and seeing a message from a mate about shipping so many goals at home - wow I was instantly awake. So thanks for that reminder and thanks for making me wonder when I can go back to China again.

Big credit for the club hierarchy for getting everyone together and publically declaring they wrre backing the manager and if it came to it they would back the manager over the players. Since then there was a clear change of power and we saw an upturn in form. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, hypochondriac said:

Big credit for the club hierarchy for getting everyone together and publically declaring they wrre backing the manager and if it came to it they would back the manager over the players. Since then there was a clear change of power and we saw an upturn in form. 

True dat.

6 hours ago, striker said:

Today it was 7 minutes into match when it was mentioned, that is longer than normal. Usual its mentioned in warm ups.

yep, but once he mentioned it that was it, no stopping them....although Watford's 8-0 at City got dragged into it as well just to even things up.

If anyone had told me with six matches left we would be on 40 points and safe I would have phoned the men in white coats. Its one hell of a turnaround.

• Like 1

On 6/28/2020 at 11:58 PM, hypochondriac said:

I agree credit is due for board who didn’t immediately fire RH in a knee jerk reaction. However, looking back through this thread surprisingly not that many really did call for his head and Most level headed fans recognised the manager was probably worth persisting with. So if the fans can see it then surely the management team should be able to see it.

of course anyone outside the saints family I spoke with said they were gobsmacked that he hadn’t been fired.

1 minute ago, wild-saint said:

I agree credit is due for board who didn’t immediately fire RH in a knee jerk reaction. However, looking back through this thread surprisingly not that many really did call for his head and Most level headed fans recognised the manager was probably worth persisting with. So if the fans can see it then surely the management team should be able to see it.

of course anyone outside the saints family I spoke with said they were gobsmacked that he hadn’t been fired.

I was told that Ralph offered his resignation and it was turned down. Then shortly after that there was the pivotal meeting with everyone where the club hierarchy publically said that they were staying with Ralph and would back him over the players. Semmens is an impressive figure and made the right call. 

I had Ralph one game from the sack after that - it was a performance lacking....well, everything.

My second favourite moment of the season was going up there and beating them.

They took the mick, tried to wind us up before the game and came spectacularly unstuck.

It will be interesting at the end of the season to see if those three lost points cost Leicester anything, because we've shrugged off both the loss and goal difference, and turned it round.

• Like 1

On 10/26/2019 at 11:04 AM, Crab Lungs said:

The fans. Aside from the delusional pocket of optimists who think we've got a good squad and that we could be 'the best of the rest' every season, we've allowed this to happen

As a self-confessed delusional optimist, I'm guilty as charged m'lud.... ;)

Edited by trousers

We went to City twice afterwards & did ok, but Everton the next home game we were woeful. I did think Ralph was on borrowed time after that. Arsenal away and the 2 relegation home games after that turned it round (although Watford first half wasn’t great). Everyone has come out of this well and deserves credit. The club, Ralph & the players. Remarkable turn round. 

• Like 1