Saints will buy at CB and FB, new DoF in a month, says Telegraph

DuncanRG

It says quite a few things! Not read these details anywhere else:

We're going to try to sign at centre half and full back in January

A director of football has been identified and will be in place by the next international break (ie a month from now)

"The Saints training ground, staff and players have been left in no doubt that the backing for Hasenhuttl is not simply cosmetic while a replacement has been found"

"The club are reassessing their approach to approving transfer targets with no single individual in charge of that process."

While Saints believe in their scouting system

This is exactly the reason why we are ****ing ****e now. We sign from a pool of players that cost around £10m-£20m and the majority in that are not good enough to be in the Premier League. You may occasionally get lucky but you'll have more misses than hits. We have not moved with the transfer market, the Premier League money went up - the transfer fees went up. The players we signed in under Pochettino and Koeman were very good players in good European Leagues, this caliber of player is now out of our budget.

To give us any chance, we need a CB (probably two), two midfielders, and a couple of full backs.

Get shot of Hoj, get the money in for JWP, get rid of Vesterguard and Bertrand. That's a start.

Will that happen though? Nah, we've heard it all before. We wanted a CB in the summer and ended up with a loan quickie job. We simply will not pay the money that is required to get the standard of player we need; thus we will continue to fall further behind.

Look at the mid-table clubs in this league - Everton, West Ham, Watford, Wolves etc - paying upwards of £30m for players. We don't even seem to be prepared to go there, so nothing will change if that remains the case. Even Bournemouth have a higher transfer record than us, it's not right.

To give us any chance, we need a CB (probably two), two midfielders, and a couple of full backs.

Get shot of Hoj, get the money in for JWP, get rid of Vesterguard and Bertrand. That's a start.

Will that happen though? Nah, we've heard it all before. We wanted a CB in the summer and ended up with a loan quickie job. We simply will not pay the money that is required to get the standard of player we need; thus we will continue to fall further behind.

Look at the mid-table clubs in this league - Everton, West Ham, Watford, Wolves etc - paying upwards of £30m for players. We don't even seem to be prepared to go there, so nothing will change if that remains the case. Even Bournemouth have a higher transfer record than us, it's not right.

Remember when reed stated we won’t be shopping in the £30m+ market. And some praised him for it

That will be a huge factor in our relegation

Remember when reed stated we won’t be shopping in the £30m+ market. And some praised him for it

That will be a huge factor in our relegation

To a degree you are correct but there must be some good players around who dont cost 30m.I think you can look at other clubs where they have found decent players. Sheff Utds back 4 cost 5mapparently.

To a degree you are correct but there must be some good players around who dont cost 30m.I think you can look at other clubs where they have found decent players. Sheff Utds back 4 cost 5mapparently.

Sheff u will not last long unless they add quality to their team.

Same for Norwich.

Bournemouth have comfortably outspent us since 2015 in terms of net spend. As have Wolves, Newcastle, West Ham, Everton, Crystal Palace and a few others. We got super arrogant with the Koeman success when the model actually worked.

A telegraph piece that is all well & good but reminds me of the Walcott & Shaw article they put out months ago.

We haven't got any cash & struggle to get rid of players we don’t want (unless David Copperfield is the new DoF).

Considering that Danso was meant to be the answer at cb I have no faith that the club will actually sort the issue anyway. If we don't sort cm also it won't make a huge amount of difference.

All the person in charge of transfers has to do is answer the question, are they better than what we have?

We should only buy players who start in the first team immediately.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

Agree with you here. Well I wonder who this new DOF will be? Shame we cant be told yet. Something drastic has to happen if we are going to get out of this dire situation. Still so numb after last night, couldn't believe what I was watching. Time for actions not words.

If true it's a gamble. Doing nothing will mean relegation though, and who knows what Gao would do then. Not difficult to see a scenario where we're all but dissolved within a year.

Throw money at it and fail? Also not difficult to see a scenario where we're all but dissolved within a year.

So we are going to back the manager. With what exactly, he hasn't invested anything since he bought in. We can't shift the rubbish that we have already accumulated, nobody would be stupid enough to take them off our hands. So how are we going to fund these new players. This article is nothing more than 'pacification paperwork' as fast as I'm concerned, I'll believe it when i see it.

Sent from my SM-T590 using Tapatalk

So we are going to back the manager. With what exactly, he hasn't invested anything since he bought in. We can't shift the rubbish that we have already accumulated, nobody would be stupid enough to take them off our hands. So how are we going to fund these new players. This article is nothing more than 'pacification paperwork' as fast as I'm concerned, I'll believe it when i see it.

We will get a couple of meh players either on loan or for 7-10 million.

If true it's a gamble. Doing nothing will mean relegation though, and who knows what Gao would do then. Not difficult to see a scenario where we're all but dissolved within a year.

Throw money at it and fail? Also not difficult to see a scenario where we're all but dissolved within a year.

Doubt it with parachute payments. It's normally a slow decline.

Having a policy of only buying younger players is the problem. Cahill was available on a free in the Summer and is looking like Palaces player of the season so far. Laurie Mac built his success of mixing cheap old players with young. We dont need to spend a fortune.

Having a policy of only buying younger players is the problem. Cahill was available on a free in the Summer and is looking like Palaces player of the season so far. Laurie Mac built his success of mixing cheap old players with young. We dont need to spend a fortune.

£75k p/w for a 33 year old is a fortune

This. Absolutely this.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

He has no future value or room for improvement. I have no problem with Saints signing young players as a policy, the problem is if they aren't any good! Something Saints have got wrong in recent years.

What has resale value got to do with wages?

This, we shouldn’t restrict ourselves in the transfer market.

It says quite a few things! Not read these details anywhere else:

We're going to try to sign at centre half and full back in January

A director of football has been identified and will be in place by the next international break (ie a month from now)

"The Saints training ground, staff and players have been left in no doubt that the backing for Hasenhuttl is not simply cosmetic while a replacement has been found"

"The club are reassessing their approach to approving transfer targets with no single individual in charge of that process."

A bit harsh, thought the training ground was one of our high spots, nice facilities and pitches

Come on seriously, signing Cahill on a free for those sort of wages is West Ham, old Pompey levels of signing.

He could get injured next week and be out for the rest of the season and never come back. We are already stuck with flops, at least they have some re-sale value.

There is nothing wrong with signing younger developing players, I mean look at Leicester FFS, but its about signing the right players.

The issue we have is clearly the senior players in our dressing room are not leading the team very well and not setting great examples.

Come on seriously, signing Cahill on a free for those sort of wages is West Ham, old Pompey levels of signing.

He could get injured next week and be out for the rest of the season and never come back. We are already stuck with flops, at least they have some re-sale value.

There is nothing wrong with signing younger developing players, I mean look at Leicester FFS, but its about signing the right players.

The issue we have is clearly the senior players in our dressing room are not leading the team very well and not setting great examples.

What difference does age make if the player is good enough? More so when there is no transfer fee

Then you go on to say we have no senior leaders. WTF?!

Leicester also signed Jonny Evans...... at CB

He has no future value or room for improvement. I have no problem with Saints signing young players as a policy, the problem is if they aren't any good! Something Saints have got wrong in recent years.

We are probably spending £250k a week of 5 centre backs who aren’t fit to wipe Cahills arse and we can’t sell.

Who would you rather have in your back 4 alongside Bednarek, Cahill, Vestergaard, Stephens, Yoshida, Danso or Hoedt?

West Ham who are comfortably better than us?

Here's the club's readout, including a Wenger-esque mention of us almost signing Maddison.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2019/10/26/ralph-hasenhuttl-given-southampton-backing-board-decide-players/

Usual PR appeasement piece we get after a bad spell. We’ll no doubt have a few decent names linked between now and the January sign none of them, then a couple of articles by the clubs favoured journalists talking about how hard the January transfer market is and we’ll do our business in the summer. We’ve seen it all before haven’t we.

West Ham who are comfortably better than us?

Always amuses me how as soon as any experienced player is mentioned, it’s always dismissed a West Ham type signing, like our model has been so Much more successful or if we sign them we are going to do a Pompey. It’s laughable.

What we actually need is players with heart and a bit of grit. Not ones who just roll over at the first sign of adversity. Can’t see this happening.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Absolutely this. That is what hurt so much about last night, no fight, no passion, no grit. Whilst us fans are left stunned, the players just don't seem to care. And why would they?? Their guaranteed weekly wage will suffer the blow, meanwhile, in the real world, normal fans are taking unpaid leave to finish work early and battle into the city on a ****ty night only to be served up with that load of crap. NONE of them are fit to wear the shirt

Why is that a bad thing? The alternative is having players no club bigger than us would want... which we are moving towards!

Sometimes you come across as incredibly pedantic or incredibly argumentative. Is it a good message to announce to the world that when we buy a player it is with the main purpose of making a profit on him? We might as well go into banking or real estate if all we want is to make money. Yes I know modern football means it is hard to hold on to your Manes and van Dijks but let’s not hitch our skirt up too high and then boast about it. If you don’t understand the negative vibes that statement elicited then you need to get your head out of the sand.

Exactly. I wish our actual defence was as quick to respond as the spin doctors in our media management unit.

Why is that a bad thing? The alternative is having players no club bigger than us would want... which we are moving towards!

Ask yourself how Leicester kept Vardy, Bournemouth keep Ake or Villa keep Grealish. If any one of those players were at Saints, we would have cashed in on them and bought the sub-standard sh*te we have to replace them.

I fear it may be too late. The revolution was needed in the summer.

Indeed it was and I got shot down for mentioning it as we apparently have a top 10 team. Clearly not. The defence has been abysmal for ages and ignoring the full back situation was nothing short or negligence. Danso should have been bought to be an improvement to the squad & therefore walked straight into the starting lineup not sit behind Vestergaard. Otherwise, what was the point of buying him?

We need a box to box midfielder and two new full backs (Targett should not have been sold with no replacement) and a new centre back which will cost. Can’t see Gao spending that but maybe he will when faced with what he will lose. As mentioned, this was obvious already if he had done his homework. Talking about it now it’s ludicrous as many of us saw this at the start of the season but nothing was done which was after negligent and we deserve all we get, quite frankly. Our board are clueless. Ralph definitely needs a solid number 2 as it appears Röhl was the brains tactically. We need to stop losing quality staff and not replacing them. If we lose someone key, buy in someone equally good. Slowly but surely, all the good work Markus & Cortese our in place has been washed away through underinvestment and negligence. This is the result.

Ask yourself how Leicester kept Vardy, Bournemouth keep Ake or Villa keep Grealish. If any one of those players were at Saints, we would have cashed in on them and bought the sub-standard sh*te we have to replace them.

Is this the same Leicester that sold Kante, Mahrez and Maguire? It's not that they haven't sold, they've just bought better. Winning the title helps.

Bournemouth and their spending is more worthy of comparison. They've generally had a smaller squad than us, and though the top earners make a fair amount more than ours I wonder how their median wage compares.

Our recruitment problems started around the time we had to bulk up the squad for Europe. Once we dropped out of it we had a lot of players on good wages and long contracts who couldn't get a game, which is a recipe for trouble even if they're good.

Edited by DuncanRG