Man City 3-1 Saints - Reaction

Lighthouse

Could have been worse.

Marked improvement, not that it could have been worse than Friday. Second half, I thought we played very well. I don't even think it was because Man City slowed down because they don't tend to do that.

Positives for sure.

That scoreline flattered us and may deceive some into thinking we played okay. We were absolutely awful again and if it wasn't for City's profligacy in front of goal, it could have easily been six or seven. The last 20 minutes proved that City are vulnerable at the back. If only the manager had tried to win the game .....

Positives: McCarthy is much better than Gunn, he actually makes saves. Thought danso had something about him too. Hojberg did a ok job as fill in left back but i’d Rather him in midfield.

Negative

Ralph. Against man city reserves, the conclusion I came away with is that Ralph wanted to lose. That’s the only logic for sitting inside your box, not getting close to opposition etc. embarrassing in a different sort of way from Friday. I think a league one side would have been more ambitious.

Valery shouldnt be in the first team squad again

Romeu shouldnt either but not a lot of choice there

Danso should be CB for at least until New Year

McCarthy should keep his place on Saturday

Still think it will be 6 or 7 on Saturday because of Stirling and DeBruyne!

Give Adams a run in the team!

Make sure Redmond is fit for the Everton game!

Armstrong was anonymous but that may have been because of tactics

Boufal the same but he did carve out a good chance - so keep in team

Ralph. Against man city reserves,.

How would you have set up a team so low in confidence, ( let alone ability ), when playing a team including Aguero, Walker, Gabriel Jesus, Bernardo Silva, Otamendi, Foden, and Mahrez ?

If that's their reserve line up I fear for Saturday's match.

That scoreline flattered us and may deceive some into thinking we played okay. We were absolutely awful again and if it wasn't for City's profligacy in front of goal, it could have easily been six or seven. The last 20 minutes proved that City are vulnerable at the back. If only the manager had tried to win the game .....

Leicester 73% | 27% Southampton

Man City 77% | 23% Southampton

---

Leicester 25(15) | 6(3) Southampton

Man City 19(9) | 5(2) Southampton

i didnt get to see the match, but i can i assume they took their foot off the gas - point diff meaningless in the Cup.

Danso can be exciting player. Just having someone with a genuinely long throw turns a bunch of throw-ins into corners. And yes, let's give Che Adams another run. I think he's going to deliver sooner rather than later. I think they got just enough from this to come out fighting a little harder Sat.

It was a throw away match. We're coming off a battering, I'm not at all surprised that the first half was all about damage control. The confidence of the team was at zero. Now it'll be slightly higher.

I agree. And the defense of MC was not so good, we can score a goal or another on Saturday. LB of us is an issue, easy to pass by, similar on the right side, but Danso could help out there.

Decent recruitment requires funding. That means the owner needs to make funds available.

It doesn’t actually / we have wasted just south of 100m on crap so money doesn’t buy you success. Look at Shef Utd for instance etc etc ... It’s about how you select who you buy and how you select the under 23 team etc and below...

It’s about a complete lack of coaching of what you have already too.

Valery shouldnt be in the first team squad again

Romeu shouldnt either but not a lot of choice there

Danso should be CB for at least until New Year

McCarthy should keep his place on Saturday

Still think it will be 6 or 7 on Saturday because of Stirling and DeBruyne!

Give Adams a run in the team!

Make sure Redmond is fit for the Everton game!

Armstrong was anonymous but that may have been because of tactics

Boufal the same but he did carve out a good chance - so keep in team

Agree on valery, actually starting to wonder if jwp would be a better option at left back if Cedric isn’t fit,, plus would save him taking up one of the more advanced roles since Ralph is gonna play him anyway

Awful reaction from the drubbing the other night. The first 45 minutes especially was dire. We are a bad side, being badly coached. Sideways, backwards passing, no pace, no passion. We never remotely looked like we believed we could get a result there and Saturday will be much of the same.

I put that down to Ralph attempting to avoid another slaughter. He achieved that at least...and a goal.

Damage limitation.

It was a throw away match. We're coming off a battering, I'm not at all surprised that the first half was all about damage control. The confidence of the team was at zero. Now it'll be slightly higher.

Exactly. There was more cohesion today. We scored. There's at least something to start to build on.

Those fans moaning about RH and his selection and gameplan? What else was he supposed to do today?

It doesn’t actually / we have wasted just south of 100m on crap so money doesn’t buy you success. Look at Shef Utd for instance etc etc ... It’s about how you select who you buy and how you select the under 23 team etc and below...

It’s about a complete lack of coaching of what you have already too.

Are you trying to deny that decent recruitment requires funding?? You can have all the black boxes and recruiters in the world, but if you don't have the funding, it's irrelevant. I'm not denying we've wasted a huge amount of money, but that's not the topic in question.

Show a bit more intent like the last 20 minutes on Saturday please and no Ward Prowse, Couldn’t care less if you’re giving him an assist for the corner.

Ralph's playing of Ward-Prowse for every minute of every game - where essentially it deprives us of an attacking player is the thing I cannot understand. Furthermore, having JWP bang in a hundred or so corners and free kicks and eventually having one of them headed in does not make an assist laden midfielder. Our predicament isn't all down to Ward-Prowse of course, but his "automatic selection and retention each game, irrespective of performance, really highlights how threadbare the squad is.

I thought Danso did well; as did an out-of-position Hojbjerg - McCarthy should be our first choice keeper. Felt sorry for Boufal - he needs a chance to play among Redmond, Djenpo, Ings, Adams etc.....not being limited to 45 minutes with Long for company when the Manager has 8 behind the ball and is trying for damage limitation.

Are you trying to deny that decent recruitment requires funding?? You can have all the black boxes and recruiters in the world, but if you don't have the funding, it's irrelevant. I'm not denying we've wasted a huge amount of money, but that's not the topic in question.

I disagree our **** poor recruitment is to blame here not lack of money....

Add non existent coaching and Ralph’s wish for a small squad and bingo...

I hope for the next game he chooses more than 2 fwd thinking players. If he's going to play with 3 CB's drop Romeu and Jwp, place Hoj as the anchor midfield man and play 4 fwd thinking players, Boufal, Adams/Armstrong, Redmond and Ings, just try something new instead of this ultra defensive formation which invites teams to attack us. I'd hope Cedric will be RB and Vokins for LB.

Well Stephens’s consolation goal won me £37 so it wasn’t all bad!

I still think our best chance of getting anything from games is to attack teams. Maybe not City, but neither are we good enough to defend for 90 minutes in the hope we don’t concede.

Anyone know what's happened to Obefemi and N'Lundulu? Both on the fringes of the first team earlier in the season yet neither in either squad for tonight's games (first team and u23s)
N'Lundulu is injured. Not for the first time in his career.

To be fair I think Ralph was stuck between a rock & a hard place tonight.

He obviously knew that going out & playing expansive football would open us up to another Leicester score so tried to to contain City & keep us in the game for as long as possible.

Yes I know stats dont look good but it was so clear that confidence was shot to pieces - so many misplaced passes but....

No one expected a result .... an improved second half .... on to the next game

First half was a very negative performance, and while I didn’t enjoy watching it any more than everyone else it would be naive to imagine that a 9-0 drubbing dies anything other than move a team back into their shell.

However second half was much better, not just the last twenty mins as some have said. Positives were Alex, Danso (defensively, but not great distribution), Stephens and Redmond as sub. When you are under such pressure you need someone to hold the ball up and Long and Boufal struggled to do that.

Is what it is damage limitation this Saturday more of the same..... Do you really think we are going to go full attacking against City with our bottlers for players.... They would destroy us on the counter.... You can't blame Ralph for trying to shut up shop....

We drew the second half one all!!

Not much of a consolation I know and man city had their foot off the gas and had their reserves playing but be grateful for small mercies. I think that most people would have accepted a 3 1 defeat before the kick off.

We need to beat Everton a week on Saturday. Everything between friday's final whistle and then has to be designed to ensure that we can beat Everton. If tonight has restored a bit of confidence and self belief which will help on Saturday week then I am content.

I put that down to Ralph attempting to avoid another slaughter. He achieved that at least...and a goal.

Damage limitation.

very much so. Look at from the managers point of view your players have just taken the worst drubbing in PL history, their confidence is shot, and your next opponents are Man ****ing City, away....twice. You find out they've made 10 changes for the game, your relief is short lived when you see their entire second 11 is superior to any player you have at your disposal are you really going to send your players out to try an go toe to toe with them or are you going to try an avoid another huge battering?

It wasn't a great performance but we scored a goal, kept the score respectable and maybe gained a little confidence in a game that, lets face it, most of would have down as a loss when the draw was made.

We drew the second half one all!!

Not much of a consolation I know and man city had their foot off the gas and had their reserves playing but be grateful for small mercies. I think that most people would have accepted a 3 1 defeat before the kick off.

We need to beat Everton a week on Saturday. Everything between friday's final whistle and then has to be designed to ensure that we can beat Everton. If tonight has restored a bit of confidence and self belief which will help on Saturday week then I am content.

that's one hell of a second string though anyone of them would waltz into our matchday 11

Is what it is damage limitation this Saturday more of the same..... Do you really think we are going to go full attacking against City with our bottlers for players.... They would destroy us on the counter.... You can't blame Ralph for trying to shut up shop....

its worth remembering they smashed 6-1 up there last season, in the league, after Hughes decided to play 4-4-2 and go for it..

1McCarthy

2Cédric Soares

5Stephens

6Hoedt

21Bertrand

16Ward-Prowse

Booked at 10mins

Substituted for

Obafemi

at

73'

minutes