1. 1. SWF Exit Poll

• Conservatives
    • Labour
    • Liberals
    • Brexit
    • SNP/Plaid
    • Green
    • Independant

The BBC are calling it a score draw. I thought Corbyn came across better. The BBC also described Johnson as a coming across like a “door to door vacuum salesman” which sums him up perfectly. Sadly for the Labour Party, although their leader clearly wants a fairer society for all, he just doesn’t appeal to the blue rinse brigade who are happy to buy a new vacuum cleaner even though they have a perfectly good one already.

The BBC are calling it a score draw. I thought Corbyn came across better. The BBC also described Johnson as a coming across like a “door to door vacuum salesman” which sums him up perfectly. Sadly for the Labour Party, although their leader clearly wants a fairer society for all, he just doesn’t appeal to the blue rinse brigade who are happy to buy a new vacuum cleaner even though they have a perfectly good one already.
Of course you did Mr floating voter.

These debates ultimately make little difference. You can probably car crash in them -hence why Johnson has been straightbatting it; but they won’t move the dial if you’re trying to make up political ground. Just think of Nick Clegg in 2010 when everybody agreed he had stormed the leadership debates, was lauded as a breath of fresh air, some commentators even calling his performances Churchillian. This was at a time when the role of televised debates was new in British politics, so the electorate was less cynical about their value and more likely to put weight on them.

Where did Cleggy’s “Churchillian performances” get him? Five fewer seats than in 2005 (and a measly 1% increase in the vote share).

Edited by shurlock

You've called me a Tory time and time again, as you do again here so you've got a terrible memory as well as being thick s pigs hit.

I think your memory might be getting pretty muddled with age old boy as, unlike you, I've never called you anything.

I am fascinated to know, from your spittle-filled response, who will you actually be voting for next week?

These debates ultimately make little difference. You can probably car crash in them -hence why Johnson has been straightbatting it; but they won’t move the dial if you’re trying to make up political ground. Just think of Nick Clegg in 2010 when everybody agreed he had stormed the leadership debates, was lauded as a breath of fresh air, some commentators even calling his performances Churchillian. This was at a time when the role of televised debates was new in British politics, so the electorate was less cynical about their value and more likely to put weight on them.

Where did Cleggy’s “Churchillian performances” get him? Five fewer seats than in 2005 (and a measly 1% increase in the vote share).

I am sure you are right but what do you do? Rely on social media and memes? We are living in an age where you can reach more people than ever before and target voters more efficiently than before but a lot of time and effort goes into these televised debates. If they don’t make much difference what is the point of doing them? We all have a belief system. We all have a wish list of things we want a Government to deliver. We all know that politicians will say (in general) what they need to in order to get your vote. Perhaps we should have a system where the manifesto you put forward is a legally binding contract, so if you are voting in you have to deliver on your promise? At least it would prevent parties from making outlandish claims that were undeliverable.

What has bothered me throughout this campaign is the “get Brexit done” mantra. It actually means nothing in terms of substance because it really is not going to be “done” in a short time frame, but a lot of people get sucked in by it.

The concept of democracy sounds great in theory, but when you listen to the way that people make their decisions (and I do not exclude myself in this before the usual suspects kick off) you do wonder if it is the best way to manage our world in the 21st century. I would image that we would all like to live in Utopia. Can we say that mankind has ever lived in anything other than various versions of purgatory?

Yes that came up. The seed money is there, but as we know that is just the start and doesn’t mean that the projects will go forward. Boris was Boris. The more you see of him the more he is like candy floss and just melts away with no substance. What he has done, as has Trump, is to turn accountability into something that doesn’t apply to them. When questioned about telling the truth he managed to turn that into a joke. Sadly people lap that **** up it seems. It can’t get my head around how people voted for a car crash president like Trump and yet they did. Next week hundreds of thousands of people in this country will put a cross by the candidate that could mean that we get our own version of Trump as PM. Turkeys voting for Christmas.

After saying that I hadn’t received a lot of right wing junk mail to date, tonight I have received a raft of right wing propaganda. If someone is monitoring my social media they ought to know that I am not a prospective Tory voter, so why all the ****? I receive nothing at all from Labour, Libdems, Greens. Right wing conspiracy?

Just seen the BBC report about the debate. They say Johnson used the phrase “get Brexit done” 10 times. My wife counted 13 times. If you add in “get it done” that would add another two or three by my reckoning. Not a big deal in the scheme of things but if you are going to fact check, get it right.

Yes that came up. The seed money is there, but as we know that is just the start and doesn’t mean that the projects will go forward. Boris was Boris. The more you see of him the more he is like candy floss and just melts away with no substance. What he has done, as has Trump, is to turn accountability into something that doesn’t apply to them. When questioned about telling the truth he managed to turn that into a joke. Sadly people lap that **** up it seems. It can’t get my head around how people voted for a car crash president like Trump and yet they did. Next week hundreds of thousands of people in this country will put a cross by the candidate that could mean that we get our own version of Trump as PM. Turkeys voting for Christmas.

It's so frustrating when the general public don't vote the correct way. It must be some mind trick these politicians do to hypnotise the public or something.

Yeah, just like those 17.4 million thick racists who voted leave.

I confess I didn't pay a great deal of attention to the debate. It was always going to be about Johnson trying to say nothing on policy beyond Get Brexit Done for fear of saying something even more stupid than usual and using personal attacks and lying about the opposition.

But I would say Corbyn missed an opportunity. He did obviously decide on presenting himself as the rational, reasonable and yes, more statesman-like option but was too passive and defensive, especially on Brexit and the topics where figures are clearly distorted.

Of course Johnson brought out his standard attack that Corbyn isn't clear on Brexit. In fact Corbyn does have a clear position but it's not dogmatically insisting that the whole party follows a Leave or Remain position.

Why wasn't Johnson reminded that he was preparing to support Remain on the day before the referendum? Only the possibility of personal advancement directed his stance. And he has in no way been consistent since then. He voted against May's deal but is desperate to push through his own which is worse. He's evicted his MPs who won't back him, but you can be sure than many remain who are keeping quiet to protect their candidature. Pretending he's united the party is a farce. He may be closer to that in the Commons, but across the country millions of moderate (and mostly Remain) Tories are divided. Many will vote tactically. The opinion polls are not telling the whole story.

Johnson is relying on party loyalty, ignorance of the real state of Brexit negotiation and weariness to get people buying into the simplistic idea that he'll make Brexit go away. He'll probably get away with it, but at what cost to the country?

And on another tack, why on Earth was there no challenge to the small print in the Tory manifesto that alludes to sweeping changes, including taking away the judiciary's ability to hold government to account when they break the rules?

The Tories, as expected, are fighting a lying, smearing, dirty campaign, hugely helped by their friends in the MSM. It needed to be met far more aggressively, but Corbyn has failed.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

The Tories, as expected, are fighting a lying, smearing, dirty campaign, hugely helped by their friends in the MSM. It needed to be met far more aggressively, but Corbyn has failed.

as you type, it is emerging that the set-piece of Labours election push (the dodgy document about the NHS being sold off) is in fact 'fake news'

More lies from Labour it seems

as you type, it is emerging that the set-piece of Labours election push (the dodgy document about the NHS being sold off) is in fact 'fake news'

The document was real and published so not sure how it could be called fake news or lies. It shows there were discussions about the NHS and the interest on the US side, it’s out there for people to draw their own conclusions as to where that will lead.

Bit different to “there is no press here”.

The document may have been leaked to / hacked by the Russians, but that doesn't make it false.

Being that you keep telling us all that they all lie all the time at the same level of lying why are you specifically calling out Labour lies?

(Also, it's not a lie anyway, it's a leak caused by a Russian hack).

Wrong. Not a lie. The document is very real. The Tories have attempted to spin it as unimportant.

I confess I didn't pay a great deal of attention

Why wasn't Johnson reminded that he was preparing to support Remain on the day before the referendum?

Not sure I understand this bit, surely on the day before the referendum, Boris was still playing around with his bus, hardly a ringing endorsement of the remain campaign....

Brexit-news-929225.jpg

Following on from that non-debate last night, anyone fooled by the childish mantra Get Brexit Done deserves what's heading their way.

Like The Daily Mail, McBusted and soap operas, it's aimed at the hard of thinking.

Absolutely this.

Not sure I understand this bit, surely on the day before the referendum, Boris was still playing around with his bus, hardly a ringing endorsement of the remain campaign....

Brexit-news-929225.jpg

Yeah, sorry. Predictive text playing up. And of course I meant the day before the referendum was announced.

I note that the British Brexit envoy to the US has resigned, saying she could not trust this government and would no longer peddle half truths on their behalf.

Now I'd say a senior member of the diplomatic service saying they have no confidence in their lying political bosses was a pretty big story, but I see it's already been buried as the MSM are too busy trying to convert the damning US/NHS report into a ludicrous attack on Corbyn.

She may have a cracking pair of jugs, but Swinson would make a pretty useless wife. Doesn’t seem to understand simple instructions like “put this in microwave”. It’s not hard, even a Leaver could understand.

ff311593d211821260395904841de54d.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

It would help if you actually read things. Tupperware melts in the microwave.

But Johnson's ready meal is an out-of-date turkey that he's already tried reheating twice. Unfit for human consumption, will badly affect your health (and wealth when the NHS is sold).

It would help if you actually read things. Tupperware melts in the microwave.

Having a 'mare today Shroppie :)

The plastic used in tupperware has (almost) no intrinsic dipole, the plastic itself doesn't absorb energy. The plastic is heated only by heat transfer/convection within the microwave oven / closed tupperware box. So you just need to have a plastic with high melting point.

Sally-Ann Hart with a very slim majority is having a mare after only just been ripped apart for saying mentally impaired people should earn less and now this. The Tories could well be waving goodbye to Hastings & Rye.

Is she the one who was suspended for using the n-word?

Sorry that’s Anne-Marie Morris, candidate for Newton Abbot. All much of a muchness :lol:

More from the "caring party";

A Tory candidate has been filmed telling a hustings event that people with learning disabilities should be paid less than minimum wage as ‘they don’t understand money’.

Read more: https://metro.co.uk/2019/12/06/tory-candidate-says-disabled-people-paid-less-dont-understand-money-11280594/?ito=cbshare

Same person now being investigated for alleged anti semitism along with two other Conservatives. What a class act, the people of Hastings and Rye are so lucky. Irrespective of party alignment, please tell me that people have enough common sense to not vote for someone with vile views on disability like that?

Johnson’s answer to the trust question last night was telling. Make a joke, bumble, stutter, ruffle hair, say some Latin and the gullible think what a character.

Isn't that his stock answer to any question, followed by 'Get Brexit done', more bluster and waffle

I know that he writes for a "left wing rag" but Andrew Rawnsley is a smashing political commentator. To my mind this perfectly sums up this election.

If Boris Johnson gets back to No 10 he will have Jeremy Corbyn to thank

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2019/dec/08/if-boris-johnson-gets-back-to-number-10-he-will-have-jeremy-corbyn-to-thank?

Edited by Tamesaint

I

I know that he writes for a "left wing rag" but Andrew Rawnsley is a smashing political commentator. To my mind this perfectly sums up this election.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2019/dec/08/if-boris-johnson-gets-back-to-number-10-he-will-have-jeremy-corbyn-to-thank?

obviously.

if you took away Labour's big 4 and toned down their spending pledges just a little, you would have a stonking majority for Labour next weekend.

a Labour MP was on Marr this morning talking about what is going to happen when Labour lose on friday. McDonnell is set to become leader (interim at least).

the YouGov chap reckons it looks highly likely Tories will get 340+ seats

I

Indeed. Certain people on here don't realise that when they continually slag off Johnson or the Tories and say how horrendous they are, it makes it even more humiliating that Labour can't beat them.

obviously.

if you took away Labour's big 4 and toned down their spending pledges just a little, you would have a stonking majority for Labour next weekend.

a Labour MP was on Marr this morning talking about what is going to happen when Labour lose on friday. McDonnell is set to become leader (interim at least).

the YouGov chap reckons it looks highly likely Tories will get 340+ seats

It will be Rebecca Long Bailey as leader eventually and I reckon that would win them an election.

Indeed. Certain people on here don't realise that when they continually slag off Johnson or the Tories and say how horrendous they are, it makes it even more humiliating that Labour can't beat them.

Which doesn't alter the facts of the assessment of the tories.

Which doesn't alter the facts of the assessment of the tories.
But it says a lot that the Tories are seemingly so awful and yet Labpur can't get close to beating them. What an utter failure for them of historic proportions that the absolute best they can possibly hope for is a minority government propped up by the SNP.

But it says a lot that the Tories are seemingly so awful and yet Labpur can't get close to beating them. What an utter failure for them of historic proportions that the absolute best they can possibly hope for is a minority government propped up by the SNP.
I agee!