• Conservatives
    • Labour
    • Liberals
    • Brexit
    • SNP/Plaid
    • Green
    • Independant

I think that's part of the problem.

“Part of the problem” is people like you and Duckie who profess to not like who Johnson is but will vote for him to lead the country anyway. You also both happily relate anything that promotes your agendas but when someone else does, funnily enough, you criticise them.

“Part of the problem” is people like you and Duckie who profess to not like who Johnson is but will vote for him to lead the country anyway. You also both happily relate anything that promotes your agendas but when someone else does, funnily enough, you criticise them.
Since when does voting for someone to lead the country mean you have to like them? I dislike Johnson the least out of the available options that doesn't mean I'm a fan of his. We don't get to choose someone to run the country from a pool of everyone, we have an extremely narrow choice based on the leaders of the party and given we have first past the post, it's effectively Labour or Conservative leaders who will be in charge. I know nuance is a tough thing for you to get your head around. Edited by hypochondriac

Wrong thread! :mcinnes:

Outsourcing work to private companies? You have not been paying attention about the NHS then?

So, just so I understand your anecdote. HMRC have dealt with complex VAT cases, literally for ever. They have now decided to outsource some of their work realising that money can be saved when people work efficiently, but are starting with the more simple cases in order to build up the experience of the private company. Your mate, though, is sceptical that this private company, the employees of which have probably not gained the experience of HMRC where complex cases are concerned, may struggle to complete the work should it be given to them by HMRC.

Might I suggest that when the time comes for them to take on the complex cases, they may just poach the staff from HMRC to increase their knowledge base?

How many years does a try take to grow from a seed?? When people say plant a tree I always assume that it is a sapling. In theory I must plant 100,000s a year as the frigging great big copper beech I have in my garden shifts seeds every year

I was in the ale house earlier & some chick was trying to chat me up. When she found out I was a Saints fan, she said “that soggy doesn’t half write a load of pony”, before adding “you should have seen the nonsense he wrote today”.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So, just so I understand your anecdote. HMRC have dealt with complex VAT cases, literally for ever. They have now decided to outsource some of their work realising that money can be saved when people work efficiently, but are starting with the more simple cases in order to build up the experience of the private company. Your mate, though, is sceptical that this private company, the employees of which have probably not gained the experience of HMRC where complex cases are concerned, may struggle to complete the work should it be given to them by HMRC.

Might I suggest that when the time comes for them to take on the complex cases, they may just poach the staff from HMRC to increase their knowledge base?

I made the point about poaching staff. Apparently they are being spread around the rest of HMRC and have all worked there for years and have decent pensions lined up so aren’t bothered about jumping ship.

Jess Phillips would do even worse than Corbyn. A loud, shrill, foul mouthed, aggressive feminist extremist who laughs at the idea of talking about men's issues and male suicide. No thanks.

Did you find a link to anything where this actually happens? You're last one showed something quite different.She may indeed be an awful woman. I've never heard of her before, but it's a big accusation if you can't back it up.

She may indeed be an awful woman. I've never heard of her before,

She is awful. She’s the one who said she wouldn’t stab Corbyn in the back, she’d stab him in the front, and then went on to complain about violent language used by politicians.

She is however a world record holder in door knocking.

http://

If she spent the entire six week period solely knocking on doors, she’d have to average one door every 2.4 minutes. That’s without sleeping, eating or resting. That would include travel between each house and conversations with the voters. In other words, she’s a liar.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Which, as Batman would tell you, perfectly qualifies her to be an MP. After all, it's worked wonders for Boris.

I am just wondering when one of them is going to say “He might be a liar, but he is our liar.”

Apart from Trump I have never known anyone lie or waffle or bluff on such a scale. The defence is everybody does it. No they don’t. Mostly he gets away with it but his team have realised that he is toast if Andrew Neil gets at him so that clearly isn’t going to happen. After May you’d think that they would have to go some to find a worse leader. Fair play, they have done it. If there is any justice he will lose his seat. To use Duckie’s phrase, if the swamp is going to be drained, let’s start with the biggest, most useless toad in it. It also appears that Jennifer is finally admitting that her relationship with him was sexual. Well there is a surprise. So much for “no impropriety.” Another problem awaits when the election is over as he clearly broke the rules and used public money to fund the business interests of his latest squeeze. It goes without saying but I will say it anyway, if Corbyn was doing any of these things they would be front page news on the majority of our “news” papers. If people are serious about getting our country back, perhaps they could start by insisting that the leader of the Conservative Party be removed and replaced by someone worthy of becoming PM. If they can find one now they have kicked out most people with a moral backbone. Not long to go now, will Johnson actually grow a pair and face Neil?

I am just wondering when one of them is going to say “He might be a liar, but he is our liar.”

Apart from Trump I have never known anyone lie or waffle or bluff on such a scale. The defence is everybody does it. No they don’t. Mostly he gets away with it but his team have realised that he is toast if Andrew Neil gets at him so that clearly isn’t going to happen. After May you’d think that they would have to go some to find a worse leader. Fair play, they have done it. If there is any justice he will lose his seat. To use Duckie’s phrase, if the swamp is going to be drained, let’s start with the biggest, most useless toad in it. It also appears that Jennifer is finally admitting that her relationship with him was sexual. Well there is a surprise. So much for “no impropriety.” Another problem awaits when the election is over as he clearly broke the rules and used public money to fund the business interests of his latest squeeze. It goes without saying but I will say it anyway, if Corbyn was doing any of these things they would be front page news on the majority of our “news” papers. If people are serious about getting our country back, perhaps they could start by insisting that the leader of the Conservative Party be removed and replaced by someone worthy of becoming PM. If they can find one now they have kicked out most people with a moral backbone. Not long to go now, will Johnson actually grow a pair and face Neil?

I suppose when you own up to Corbyns lies, 'only those earning over 80k will pay more tax'

I suppose when you own up to Corbyns lies, 'only those earning over 80k will pay more tax'

I have not denied that he got that wrong. The issue here is the monumental number of lies that Johnson tells but they are always mitigated by the “ah buts.” It is exactly the same with Trump. We are told it is ok because everybody does it. The whole point is nobody does it on the scale of Trump and Johnson.

I think most labour voters agree that there are problems with Corbyn, at least the ones I know or have seen on here. Conservative voters are much less critical of Johnson though, despite him being as dodgy as Corbyn. It's a much more united stance, which is good for them, but I also wish they had less insecurity and were able to be more genuinely critical. I honestly have no idea which way I would vote, but probably not for either of those two. Voting libdem on the basis that Johnson and Corbyn appear to be more **** than Swinson is pretty weak grounds. It's mainly just because I haven't seem enough of her to dislike her yet. The worse the bigger parties become, the more I wish there could be PR, so that no vote were wasted.

I think most labour voters agree that there are problems with Corbyn, at least the ones I know or have seen on here. Conservative voters are much less critical of Johnson though, despite him being as dodgy as Corbyn. It's a much more united stance, which is good for them, but I also wish they had less insecurity and were able to be more genuinely critical. I honestly have no idea which way I would vote, but probably not for either of those two. Voting libdem on the basis that Johnson and Corbyn appear to be more **** than Swinson is pretty weak grounds. It's mainly just because I haven't seem enough of her to dislike her yet. The worse the bigger parties become, the more I wish there could be PR, so that no vote were wasted.

PR is long overdue. Every vote should count. If it did perhaps more people would make the effort. I have moved 13 times and in each new constituency the MP has been a nailed on Tory. If I wasn’t so keen to get the Tories out I might not have bothered this time. Last time round the Labour vote increased here by 16% but the Tory still got twice as many votes as Labour. It is a strong Leave area so I can’t see things changing much where ever I cast my vote. First passed the post is no longer a proper way of determining the make up of Parliament given the huge divisions with the country. Time for change.

Yet you constantly post if you think you have caught someone else out in a lie but don’t say a word when Johnson deliveries his daily stream of lies to the nation. Why is that?

I post on the subject as whilst you go on and on about lies provided by one side, you brush off the absolute whoppers from Labour - and there a fair few.

Let’s be honest, hardly anyone is going to change their mind now are they. Even In the remote chance I wanted to, I can’t as I have posted my vote for Johnny Mercer - who is an excellent MP BTW

The need for PR and a change to the FPTP system is highlighted today with the news that since the second world war there are a number of constituencies which have never changed hands. Apparently 14 million voters live in these seats (more Labour than Tory) . The vote of anybody who lives in one of these constituencies yet does not like their party of the current incumbent in effect has a worthless vote.

Chris Grayling proved to be one of the most incompetent ministers ever ( as an aside it would be interesting to know what part his "reforms" to the probation service played in the London Bridge atrocity). He is MP for Epsom and Ewell yet that seat has been Conservative since 1874!! There is a fat chance of him receiving the treatment from the electors that his record deserves.

PR , according to its detractors, leads to the growth of extremists. They say that we would see more right and left wing extremists in Parliament with PR. I think , however, that we are already seeing extremists what with the left wing Momentum group dominating Labour and the Tories falling under the "drain the swamp " mentality of the likes of our own Duckie. Could it lead to anything much worse than we see now??

The need for PR and a change to the FPTP system is highlighted today with the news that since the second world war there are a number of constituencies which have never changed hands. Apparently 14 million voters live in these seats (more Labour than Tory) . The vote of anybody who lives in one of these constituencies yet does not like their party of the current incumbent in effect has a worthless vote.

Chris Grayling proved to be one of the most incompetent ministers ever ( as an aside it would be interesting to know what part his "reforms" to the probation service played in the London Bridge atrocity). He is MP for Epsom and Ewell yet that seat has been Conservative since 1874!! There is a fat chance of him receiving the treatment from the electors that his record deserves.

PR , according to its detractors, leads to the growth of extremists. They say that we would see more right and left wing extremists in Parliament with PR. I think , however, that we are already seeing extremists what with the left wing Momentum group dominating Labour and the Tories falling under the "drain the swamp " mentality of the likes of our own Duckie. Could it lead to anything much worse than we see now??

This is exactly the case here in Fareham West and voting out here is a waste of time unless you support that absolutely cretinous Tory woman, Suella Braverman.

You do tend to get a few more extremists, after all PR is about ensuring all voices are heard - but the Governments are overwhelmingly made up of coalitions, which favours centre left or centre right politics. That would be a huge improvement on the two doctrinaire twonks we have to choose from ATM.

Edited by buctootim

I post on the subject as whilst you go on and on about lies provided by one side, you brush off the absolute whoppers from Labour - and there a fair few.

Let’s be honest, hardly anyone is going to change their mind now are they. Even In the remote chance I wanted to, I can’t as I have posted my vote for Johnny Mercer - who is an excellent MP BTW

I think we all accept that most politicians are disingenuous when it comes to answering questions. My problem with Johnson (and Trump) is the share volume of lies and the fact that they don’t understand it when called out. It is a trait you find in narcissists. I was married to one. I asked her once why she never apologised. She said that she did apologise but only when she had done something wrong and that she never did anything wrong so no need to apologise! Johnson was asked point blank if he always told the truth. He said yes (but sometimes he got things wrong). A mistake is a mistake. A lie is a deliberate attempt to cover up the truth. He is a congenital liar. He does it frequently,everyday. His previous editor, also a Tory, says he is not a fit person to be PM. Many in his own party do not think he is a fit person to be PM. We are not talking about policies here, we are talking about his qualities, or lack of, as a human being. If we elect him as PM we are just as guilty of electing a dangerous fool as the Americans have been. The retort you often hear from Americans is that there were two poor choices. No there weren’t. There was one poor choice in Clinton. The other should not have even been considered as an option. Whatever you think of Corbyn or Swinson, at least they are both relatively decent, normal human beings who are capable of empathy and believe in what they tell us they stand for.

You do tend to get a few more extremists, after all PR is about ensuring all voices are heard - but the Governments are overwhelmingly made up of coalitions, which favours centre left or centre right politics. That would be a huge improvement on the two doctrinaire twonks we have to choose from ATM.
Think we can all agree with that.

I think we all accept that most politicians are disingenuous when it comes to answering questions. My problem with Johnson (and Trump) is the share volume of lies and the fact that they don’t understand it when called out. It is a trait you find in narcissists. I was married to one. I asked her once why she never apologised. She said that she did apologise but only when she had done something wrong and that she never did anything wrong so no need to apologise! Johnson was asked point blank if he always told the truth. He said yes (but sometimes he got things wrong). A mistake is a mistake. A lie is a deliberate attempt to cover up the truth. He is a congenital liar. He does it frequently,everyday. His previous editor, also a Tory, says he is not a fit person to be PM. Many in his own party do not think he is a fit person to be PM. We are not talking about policies here, we are talking about his qualities, or lack of, as a human being. If we elect him as PM we are just as guilty of electing a dangerous fool as the Americans have been. The retort you often hear from Americans is that there were two poor choices. No there weren’t. There was one poor choice in Clinton. The other should not have even been considered as an option. Whatever you think of Corbyn or Swinson, at least they are both relatively decent, normal human beings who are capable of empathy and believe in what they tell us they stand for.
You aren't voting for an individual, you are voting for a party and their policies. I don't care what Johnson is like, no sane person could vote for the extremism that Labour is selling.

I have not denied that he got that wrong. The issue here is the monumental number of lies that Johnson tells but they are always mitigated by the “ah buts.” It is exactly the same with Trump. We are told it is ok because everybody does it. The whole point is nobody does it on the scale of Trump and Johnson.
Politicians lie or are economical with the truth , it has been so since the dawn of time it seems. Frankly, I am guilty of just scratching the surface of quotes and not delving in too deep to the small print. Most politicians use this knowing that the majority do the same, hence soundbites are so effective.

We all have different pressures of life and so dont always have the time or interest to research (some on here do) I did research about Brexit and put on here early on how it would be impossible to get away with a decent deal as the Treaty was so stacked against us. Anyway it fell on deaf ears even on here and we are still having the fall out which will go on for decades.

Basically lies work for politicians as in most things in life people dont like to hear the truth. So lying smooths it over and once they are in power a lot gets slipped through without notice, eg Blairs 'on a bad news day' some other nasty stuff was put through that the press were too busy to notice

Politicians lie or are economical with the truth , it has been so since the dawn of time it seems. Frankly, I am guilty of just scratching the surface of quotes and not delving in too deep to the small print. Most politicians use this knowing that the majority do the same, hence soundbites are so effective.

We all have different pressures of life and so dont always have the time or interest to research (some on here do) I did research about Brexit and put on here early on how it would be impossible to get away with a decent deal as the Treaty was so stacked against us. Anyway it fell on deaf ears even on here and we are still having the fall out which will go on for decades.

Basically lies work for politicians as in most things in life people dont like to hear the truth. So lying smooths it over and once they are in power a lot gets slipped through without notice, eg Blairs 'on a bad news day' some other nasty stuff was put through that the press were too busy to notice

Wasn't there some financial information on the day 9/11 happened? I may have remembered that wrong.

FPTP ensures all areas of the country are heard. If you think politics is skewed towards London & the big metropolitan areas , you wait until PR has been running for a couple of generations.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You aren't voting for an individual, you are voting for a party and their policies. I don't care what Johnson is like, no sane person could vote for the extremism that Labour is selling.

Leaving all personalities aside, what aspects of the Labour manifesto do you consider to be extremist?

As I have said, I accept that all politicians are economical with the truth. It is the sheer volume of lies told by Johnson (and Trump) which is remarkable.

Leaving all personalities aside, what aspects of the Labour manifesto do you consider to be extremist?
The bit which will cause enough rich people to leave the country which makes all the huge spending cost projections unworkable, levels of spending that concern he IFS, "free" government controlled Internet, "free" early years childcare for 2, 3 and 4 year olds that is totally uncosted and will lead to childcare providers closing. That's off the top of my head but I can't be bothered to look in greater detail to find more.

I love this myth that all of the rich people will leave the country if Labour get in. Maybe Phil Collins will bugger off again but unless you are super rich and don’t need a job, if you are working here your job is here. Good luck finding a job abroad paying mega bucks after Brexit. As for extremism, you haven’t really managed to come up with anything extreme hypo. If you want an example of extremism perhaps look at what has been done to public services and the NHS over the last 9 years. Mind you, the rich people will have been fine because they all have private health insurance so don’t need the NHS, they will not even have heard of Universal Credit or food banks. They will not have had to worry about getting a mortgage whilst having a pension. If they have needed to use the CJS they wouldn’t have to worry about trying to get legal aid. I could go on....

I love this myth that all of the rich people will leave the country if Labour get in. Maybe Phil Collins will bugger off again but unless you are super rich and don’t need a job, if you are working here your job is here. Good luck finding a job abroad paying mega bucks after Brexit. As for extremism, you haven’t really managed to come up with anything extreme hypo. If you want an example of extremism perhaps look at what has been done to public services and the NHS over the last 9 years. Mind you, the rich people will have been fine because they all have private health insurance so don’t need the NHS, they will not even have heard of Universal Credit or food banks. They will not have had to worry about getting a mortgage whilst having a pension. If they have needed to use the CJS they wouldn’t have to worry about trying to get legal aid. I could go on....
I didn't say all the rich people will leave. I do think enough people will move their wealth for it to become a problem. Also the fact that Labour trumpeted the fact that their manifesto was fully costed and then tacked on another 58 billion totally uncosted just to try to attract more votes.

I consider everything I said to be extreme, particularly the levels of spending. Promising loads of free stuff without being able to pay for it is very extreme. I mentioned early years because its a sector I know very well and if they bring in underfunded "free" places and do not allow nurseries to charge a top up, nurseries will close at a faster rate than they already are (three closed in Southampton in the last month.) Gigantic infrastructure projects that will cost many billions in order to allow state control of the internet is incredibly extreme. If the polls are to be believed, its currently failing to strike enough of a chord with the electorate.

Edited by hypochondriac

I do agree about their proposed spending plans. It does sound fantastic but where is the money coming from? Is he going to plant magic money trees along with the others? Over the years I have shifted my views on things like privatisation/nationalisation. I used to be pro privatisation but having seen what it has done to the railways etc I am now in favour of renationalisation. We need massive reinvestment in this country’s infrastructure. The NHS needs to be properly funded. The welfare system needs a complete overhaul. It is good that Labour have ambitious plans to address all these issue but, as is usually the case, if they got into power, once they have a look at the books the spending plans will need to rethought. I am still favouring a Labour/LibDem coalition. That should rein in some of the more “out there” plans. The polls seem to be moving back to a hung parliament again.

I do agree about their proposed spending plans. It does sound fantastic but where is the money coming from? Is he going to plant magic money trees along with the others? Over the years I have shifted my views on things like privatisation/nationalisation. I used to be pro privatisation but having seen what it has done to the railways etc I am now in favour of renationalisation. We need massive reinvestment in this country’s infrastructure. The NHS needs to be properly funded. The welfare system needs a complete overhaul. It is good that Labour have ambitious plans to address all these issue but, as is usually the case, if they got into power, once they have a look at the books the spending plans will need to rethought. I am still favouring a Labour/LibDem coalition. That should rein in some of the more “out there” plans. The polls seem to be moving back to a hung parliament again.
Fine. That seems like a reasonable view, particularly from someone like you. As I've said on a number of occasions, I'd quite happily vote for an alternative to the Tories that weren't proposing some of the things that Labour were. I'll make an assessment on Labour's electability for the future assuming they lose this election, once we've left the EU and once I've seen what sort of person and policies they propose after Corbyn. I'm not holding my breath though I think it will be more of the same and maybe we need a new type of Labour party to brush these Momentum freaks away.

The fact you consider millions of British people insane discounts your opinion.

I didn't say all the rich people will leave. I do think enough people will move their wealth for it to become a problem. Also the fact that Labour trumpeted the fact that their manifesto was fully costed and then tacked on another 58 billion totally uncosted just to try to attract more votes.

I consider everything I said to be extreme, particularly the levels of spending. Promising loads of free stuff without being able to pay for it is very extreme. I mentioned early years because its a sector I know very well and if they bring in underfunded "free" places and do not allow nurseries to charge a top up, nurseries will close at a faster rate than they already are (three closed in Southampton in the last month.) Gigantic infrastructure projects that will cost many billions in order to allow state control of the internet is incredibly extreme. If the polls are to be believed, its currently failing to strike enough of a chord with the electorate.

State control of he Internet? :lol:

And free nursery places are the only reasons why he thinks Corbyns polices are extreme. I think we can safely put Hypochondriac in the 'shouts a lot but knows **** all' camp.
Guess you missed the portion of my post where I said these were issues relevant to myself and where I said they were just the few off the top of my head (and where I highlighted the excessive spending as the bit that was particularly extreme) you numpty. Edited by hypochondriac

Donald tells us that he wouldn’t want the NHS even if it were handed it to him on a silver plater. Somehow you just know the opposite is true. That’s the beauty of listening to congenital liars. Listened to what they say and what they actually mean is the exact opposite.