Man City V Saints (again) - Build Up

John Boy Saint

As no one seems to have started one yet

Bit like "can we play you every week" has come true with this lot.......... Given the choice the last team you would choose!!

Goodness knows what we will get as a scoreline, as they will no doubt shuffle a few of their aces back into their squad, but lets hope we can keep it sensible.

.........hey you never know as Greavsie use to say "its a funny old game".

Womder if Cedric and Djenepo will feature in this? Would be good if Cedric could start.

The key is do we go back 4 or back 5?

Obviously CB is our weakest position, so surely only needing to pick two rather than 3 is sensible?

Also gives more of a chance to press further forward, with an extra body further up.

If we sit back and have no threat it makes it easier for them.

Womder if Cedric and Djenepo will feature in this? Would be good if Cedric could start.

Obviously CB is our weakest position, so surely only needing to pick two rather than 3 is sensible?

Also gives more of a chance to press further forward, with an extra body further up.

Given how immobile our midfield is, how easily we get counter attacked the moment our midfield push up (because they can't recover in time), how our constant poor passing in the middle of the pitch gives the ball away in dangerous areas and how easily a talented man city side play their way out of the press. I'm not sure pressing high up won't make it just as easy for them. It would be better if we could sit deep in numbers, defend as a cohesive unit, and carry a threat on the counter...sadly our players aren't good enough for that.

According to Solent last time we beat Man City at their place Paul Sturrock was our manager I'm pretty confident our current team isn't going to change that fact

That’ll be 15 years ago and their first season in the City of Manchester stadium and we had half price tickets because the short changed us on allocation the previous season for the last game at Maine road Saints dipped in their pockets and did half prize travel think nearly everyone who attended took up that option.

Quite funny going home the coaches were wafted at a good pace up the A57 with a police convoy through all the red lights a few random shoppers heading home couldn’t believe their luck to have found themselves between a couple of coaches and out of the City faster than they ever had before on a Saturday tea time.

McCarthy

Valery

Bednarek

Yoshida

Stephens

Cedric

Hojbjerg

Romeu

Long/Redders

Long/Redders

Ings

I don't think Pep wants to hammer us, he'll be happy with a 2 or 3 nil. I'd go with above in the first half, and if we are still in it by HT, bring Boufal and Djenepo on toward the end.

Yes he does. Goal difference could be crucial for them in their attempt to finish above Liverpool.

We simply have to flood the midfield we are nonexistent there and as a consequence surrender control of every game.

One up front which changes to two or three when we have the ball and are attacking. There is no point in having two or three permanently up front we will be taken apart.

We need to be more flexible in and out of procession and have some decent strategic coaching which there is fat chance of with Ralph defending or attacking....

McCarthy

JWP

Stephens

Bednarek

Danso

Cedric

PEH

Romeu

Boufal

Redmond

Ings

------------------

This isn't what I would play but think what Ralph will play.

I'd prefer a 4231 with McCarthy, Valery, Bednarek, Danso, Cedric, PEH, Romeu, Redmond, Boufal, Ings, Adams

You have to have an outlet up front so go 442 no point doing what we did in the first half last night at least give it a go, nothing to lose, free hit and all that. More important play those who are up for it and want to fight for the shirt!
4-4-2 at the Etihad are you Mark Hughes in disguise?

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

Playing 5 at the back has not improved us defensively, in fact it makes us worse.. 4-2-3-1

McCarthy

Valery

Yoshida

Danso

Cedric

Romeu

Hojbjerg

Redmond

Boufal

JWP

Ings

We aren't any good defensively with four at the back either maybe Ralph should try something really Avant Garde and drop CBs all together.

McCarthy,

Valery, Danso, Bednarek, Stephens, Cedric

Romeu, Hojbjerg

Armstrong

Redmond, Adams

Thought Armstrong was poor last night but deserves another chance, especially after Prowsey's amount of chances.

I can only assume Adams is starting this one.. he's had a pretty unlucky start at saints but playing Long (who's not even quick anymore) over him last night was a joke.

Djenepo and Ings on in the last 30 if we're within 2 goals.

Would drop JWP - pointless playing him in the vain hope he will create something or defend anything. Also pointless is 5 at the back - it just invites pressure on an awfully frail defence. I would go 4-2-3-1 and tell the team to defend as one, break as one. I do think City are slightly fragile if the game is taken to them, but get their tails up if they smell blood (not hard with our squad). It will still be 4 or 5 nil to them, with a possible consolidatory goal from us. The only thing I'm looking forward to is the rugby on Saturday to be honest.

Important match to keep the scoreline down in, not to mention our horrific goal difference, If it's another humiliating whipping 4-0 or more, I can't see the players ever recovering enough mentally to save us from relegation this season, I can't see Ralph turning it around this season hope I'm proved wrong but agree stick with him in the championship if he wants to stay that is

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Reckon AlwaySFC has stayed up there after goi g to the game last night? Seen a clip of him supporting the saints

Novelty wore off long time ago. Fine as a spontaneous reaction when your favourite choon comes on, or a goal celebration because you've over indulged pre match,

but he was doing it in the Car Park after the game on Tues so that people could film it on their phones :mcinnes:

Presume he was the target of of the "You Fat Barsteward" chants from the City fans, which was just about the only time they sang!!

-----------------

This isn't what I would play but think what Ralph will play.

I'd prefer a 4231 with McCarthy, Valery, Bednarek, Danso, Cedric, PEH, Romeu, Redmond, Boufal, Ings, Adams

Let's be honest that would 4-5-1 not 4-2-3-1. I'd still like us to play that rather than cower in our box refusing to mark their fullbacks like Tue.

McCarthy,

Valery, Danso, Bednarek, Stephens, Cedric

Romeu, Hojbjerg

Armstrong

Redmond, Adams

Thought Armstrong was poor last night but deserves another chance, especially after Prowsey's amount of chances.

I can only assume Adams is starting this one.. he's had a pretty unlucky start at saints but playing Long (who's not even quick anymore) over him last night was a joke.

Djenepo and Ings on in the last 30 if we're within 2 goals.

McCarthy,

Cedric, Danso, Bednarek, Yoshida

Romeu, Hojbjerg,

Stephens, Boufal/Djenepo (if available)

Ings, Redmond

As we are going to lose this one anyway, I'd like to see Yoshida tried as left wingback and Stephens as an attacking midfielder.

McCarthy,

Cedric, Danso, Bednarek, Yoshida

Romeu, Hojbjerg,

Stephens, Boufal/Djenepo (if available)

Ings, Redmond

As we are going to lose this one anyway, I'd like to see Yoshida tried as left wingback and Stephens as an attacking midfielder.

I’m guessing you’re taking the **** ref Yoshi and Stephens. I hope.

man city did indeed take it easy on us in the cup game, goal difference means nothing if you win the game, and they did so very very easily, the league tho is a different proposition, they'll score doublle figures if they can, and with de bruyne and sterling back i really fear for us. i mean imagine sterling running at our shambles of a defence or de bruyne carving our feeble midfield apart time and time again. i saw their game against villa last weekend and sterling tore apart their defence (miles better than ours) countless times. he could get a double hattrick against us. i for one won't be watching.

ralph and the players seem to think we made it out of there with a relatively respectable defeat because we showed a "reaction". i don't believe for one second that it was our effort that kept the scoreline respectable, pep probably thought it better not to destroy our club and get the manager fired by embarrasing us so soon after the leicester game. make no mistake, ralph would've left and the club wouldn't recover if we suffered a consecutive humiliation.

OK so 442 has been dismissed which i get as being too thin and easy to play between the lines, so 5-2-3 looks much better with the 2 becoming 4 as the full backs move up, hence 3-4 3 just as long as we have someone who can control and keep the ball up front long enough for this to happen, and get the other two around him to support him who ever he may be -Adams?

Novelty wore off long time ago. Fine as a spontaneous reaction when your favourite choon comes on, or a goal celebration because you've over indulged pre match,

but he was doing it in the Car Park after the game on Tues so that people could film it on their phones :mcinnes:

Presume he was the target of of the "You Fat Barsteward" chants from the City fans, which was just about the only time they sang!!

I have no issue with him. He's not harming anybody and it's nice to see someone actually enjoying themselves tbh

McCarthy

Cedric Bednarek Danso Hojbjerg

Stephens romeau

Boufal. Armstrong. Redmond

Ings

This won’t happen but would be my pick... give Stephens a chance to see what he can do in dm role he has decent attributes for this position both dms instructed to prioritise staying back and protecting defence... Hojbjerg did ok filling in at lb so keep him there whilst Bertrand suspended

Armstrong in a ten where his movement and engine can help support both attack and defence and then the pace and tricksy of boufal and redmond can give us a bit more in attack then we had Tuesday .

i think it'll something like this

mccarthy

valery danso yoshi stephens hoj

jwp(sadly) rom armstrong

redders ings

stephens is gonna get a run of games now that we've had the shoking revelation that vestergaard is extremely poor. i really hope that he's motivated and grabs his chance with both hands. also danso at CB looks an actual footballer, baffling how ralph failed to play him and instead persisted with the oaf that is vest.

it'll be 11 men behind the ball in the 1st half, just like tuesday, and if we're lucky enough, we'll only be a couple goals down by half time. then we'll try to play forward a bit then if we're really lucky we grab a goal, then they pile on the pressure then we give away a goal or two so FT 4 - 1.

thats as optimistic as i can get about this game.

Two of Redmond, Boufal and Djenepo have to play IMO, so if Djenepo still isn’t fit then it should be Redmond and Boufal. Then up top Adams and Ings. A nice front 4. I don’t want to think about the rest of the team...

...oh OK.

McCarthy

Cedric/Valery

Bednarek

Danso

Vokins

Hojbjerg

Romeu

Redmond

Boufal

Ings

Adams

A left back at left back please, irrespective of his experience.

Just a reminder of this fixture last season where Hughes thought we should attack city in a 4-4-2 it worked really well....for City

[video=youtube_share;j_D84o07f58]https://youtu.be/j_D84o07f58

We played 4-3-2-1 with Lemina and Hoj sitting just above the defence

https://www.skysports.com/football/man-city-vs-soton/teams/390863

We played 4-3-2-1 with Lemina and Hoj sitting just above the defence

https://www.skysports.com/football/man-city-vs-soton/teams/390863

or not (actually this is quite a good analysis of our weakness that day and how our attempts at the press where easily bypassed by man cities quality on the ball)

https://www.coachesvoice.com/tactical-analysis-manchester-city-6-southampton-1/