Why should we be concerned if Scotland leaves the Union

OldNick

Sooner they’re gone the better. Whinging jocks.

Here’s the thing, if the English had their own Parliament & the sweaties didn’t, we’d never hear the end of it.

People who want the status quo should be grateful that Nigels a unionist, but one day an English nationalist party will destroy it. It won’t be the sweaties leaving, it’ll be the English.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I very much love Scotland being part of the Union but what are the major advantages of having them tied to the rest of the UK?
Why bother with England either? what's wrong with reverting to the kingdoms of Wessex, Merica, Anglia, Kent and Northumbria and give independence to Kernow?

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

Here’s the thing, if the English had their own Parliament & the sweaties didn’t, we’d never hear the end of it.

People who want the status quo should be grateful that Nigels a unionist, but one day an English nationalist party will destroy it. It won’t be the sweaties leaving, it’ll be the English.

And here is national bigotry in all its glory.

Are you finding people giving you a wide berth in the pub?

You want a United Ireland? We should give the Falklands back no?

yeah we need to cut all these free loaders loose

Anguilla

Bermuda

British Antarctic Territory

British Indian Ocean Territory

Cayman Islands

Falkland Islands

Gibraltar

Montserrat

Pitcairn, Henderson, Ducie and Oeno Islands

South Georgia and the South Sandwich Islands

Sovereign Base areas of Akrotiri and Dhekelia on Cyprus

St Helena, Ascension and Tristan da Cunha

Turks and Caicos Islands

Virgin Islands

Portsmouth

You want a United Ireland? We should give the Falklands back no?

Back? It's only ever really been a British colony.

This thread seems a waste of time and is just another place for less mature posters to use unpleasant language about other groups of people. Shame as there is a real discussion to have, but this is clearly not it. It's just another opportunity to dwell on stereotypes, cheap insults and general hatred.

Back? It's only ever really been a British colony.

This thread seems a waste of time and is just another place for less mature posters to use unpleasant language about other groups of people. Shame as there is a real discussion to have, but this is clearly not it. It's just another opportunity to dwell on stereotypes, cheap insults and general hatred.

umm no if that was the case Argentina wouldn't be kicking up a fuss. The first colonists where French who sold to it to Spain it was then a Spanish colony first administrated from Spanish South America later to become Argentina and Uruguay hence their claim to the islands.

umm no if that was the case Argentina wouldn't be kicking up a fuss. The first colonists where French who sold to it to Spain it was then a Spanish colony first administrated from Spanish South America later to become Argentina and Uruguay hence their claim to the islands.

there a a huge number of reasons why Argentina kick up a fuss; it goes round in cycles.

either way, the islanders don't want to be part of Argentina. Surely their 'votes' count... I know many don't agree with that policy (making peoples vote count for something) here but it is kind of important...unless of course, the falkland islanders didnt know what they were voting for?

there a a huge number of reasons why Argentina kick up a fuss; it goes round in cycles.

either way, the islanders don't want to be part of Argentina. Surely their 'votes' count... I know many don't agree with that policy (making peoples vote count for something) here but it is kind of important...unless of course, the falkland islanders didnt know what they were voting for?

How would you feel if the Falkland Islanders had voted to stay in the EU and now wanted independence?

United Ireland. Independent Scotland and Wales. Out of the EU. Can you imagine what the state of our economy will be like.

But at least we will have got our country back.

A United Ireland is a moral and just cause. Can’t believe there’s lefties on here arguing otherwise.

As for the Sweaties. All we keep hearing about is how they’re being dragged out of The EU against their will. What about a The English, being held in the EU against their will. Simple solution, we leave the EU, the Sweaties leave the UK and we put up a hard border in between. Id give Krankie her second referendum. In the EU and out of the UK or in the UK and out of the EU. Make your choice.

Nobody mentioned the Welsh, but it wouldn’t be the English economy suffering from any split. An independent England would be far further right leaning without having scores of Taffs voting labour. We could truly have a radical, low tax Government.

Within 20 years the difference between England & the other 2 would be like East and West Germany pre-unification.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Argentina has never had a colonial population living there. The population of the Falklands has simply never been Argentinian.

Their only claims are that they once owned it in theory and that they are the closest mainland, but they are close to it like Britain is close to Iceland.

If you mean English people wanting England to be separate from any other country, I have no problems with that. I don't understand why there's a need for childish name calling and silly stereotypes, but I've understood that's the level of discussion many here go for. I guess I shouldn't expect too much sophistication on a football forum though, so my fault for looking.

Two separate issues. I'm merely pointing out that Britain weren't the first to colonise the Falkland islands hence Argentina's claims. I'm not suggesting anything else with regards to sovereignty.

Two separate issues. I'm merely pointing out that Britain weren't the first to colonise the Falkland islands hence Argentina's claims. I'm not suggesting anything else with regards to sovereignty.

I don't think anyone has ever disputed that?

Argentina's claims are a completely different conversation. and a defunct one

Would Scotland be allowed into the EU - I recall from their referendum that there was a strong sense that they wouldn't meet the joining criteria, but not sure???

There was certainly mention that there would be obstacles to joining and that it shouldn't be taken for granted. At the time Spain in particular were seen as obstructive as they didn't want Catalonia thinking they too could go it alone and join the EU.

But times have changed, and in the event of Brexit if it ever happens I suspect Barnier and co will be more receptive to Scotland joining the EU, if only to p!ss England off. This could throw up a further and greater border issue than N Ireland.

I may be wrong but I thought that one of the issues was if Scotland were to join the EU they would be obliged to join the Euro. To me that would not necessarily be a bad thing but that could cause a few issues for many people !!

All member states except the UK and Denmark must work towards adopting the Euro, by developing and following a plan to meet the Covergence Criteria, ( financial governance rules ).

Can't believe people are advocating over turning a "once in a lifetime" ( SNPs own words) referendum that only happened 5 years ago. Surely the Scots aren't allowed to change their minds are they? How undemocratic would that be to the people who voted remain in 2014...

Can't believe people are advocating over turning a "once in a lifetime" ( SNPs own words) referendum that only happened 5 years ago. Surely the Scots aren't allowed to change their minds are they? How undemocratic would that be to the people who voted remain in 2014...

They’ve had 5 years remaining . We haven’t even had 1 minute out of the EU.

It’s ridiculous to have a vote on independence before the EU/UK relationship is sorted. Once that is sorted, the Sweaties can vote on Remaining with that relationship , or leaving the UK.

There was certainly mention that there would be obstacles to joining and that it shouldn't be taken for granted. At the time Spain in particular were seen as obstructive as they didn't want Catalonia thinking they too could go it alone and join the EU.

But times have changed, and in the event of Brexit if it ever happens I suspect Barnier and co will be more receptive to Scotland joining the EU, if only to p!ss England off. This could throw up a further and greater border issue than N Ireland.

The EU have said that if the UK Brexit then Scotland will too brexit. They can reapply but it would be more than likely that Spain would veto their joining due to Catalan probs. Spanish also having a say about Kosovo and their non interest of small broken away states and vetoing their joining. Also, the Scottish deficit is so high that that silly woman in charge of the SNP cannot see that they would lose all subsidy from jolly old Uk which prop up free NHS including teeth, medicine, education inc Uni etc who will pay for this the Eu? They are just not that stupid yet still Sturgeon walks around grinning can’t stand her so if it means they leave to get rid, good bloody riddance.

The EU have said that if the UK Brexit then Scotland will too brexit. They can reapply but it would be more than likely that Spain would veto their joining due to Catalan probs. Spanish also having a say about Kosovo and their non interest of small broken away states and vetoing their joining.

That's odd. I could have sworn one of themes of the leave debate was Britain had to get out because we couldnt stop Turkey, Ukraine and Kazakhstan joining.

That's odd. I could have sworn one of themes of the leave debate was Britain had to get out because we couldnt stop Turkey, Ukraine and Kazakhstan joining.

We, the people, couldn’t . Just as we couldn’t stop Romania, or Poland joining. Only the Government has a veto. British Government policy was for Turkey to join, in fact the PM & leader of the Remain campaign stated he was “angry at the lack of progress in the negotiations “ before adding that “the UK will do everything it can to help Turkey "pave the road from Ankara to Brussels".

We, the people, couldn’t . Just as we couldn’t stop Romania, or Poland joining. Only the Government has a veto. British Government policy was for Turkey to join, in fact the PM & leader of the Remain campaign stated he was “angry at the lack of progress in the negotiations “ before adding that “the UK will do everything it can to help Turkey "pave the road from Ankara to Brussels".

That's true - but simply makes the point eloquently that much of what people blame the EU for is actually the result of UK Government policy or the way it applies EU law - such as not imposing restrictions on freedom of movement as other states do.

Edited by buctootim