Radhi Jaïdi Sacked

manji

Lost 6/8 probably something to do with it

I suspect its more than that. The results are to be expected, he's working with kids - that team is packed with several 18 year olds and younger. The way they play is the issue for me, slow to use the ball and poor movement - they don't look well coached.

I am going to start by saying I know absolutely nothing about how good any of our coaches are or the performances of any team but the first. However, I've never understood our habit of giving top level coaching jobs to popular former players. We're a premier league team and should be employing the very best coaches we can find who will want to be part of a coaching set up in one of the highest profile, highest lever footbal divisions in the world. It just seems incredibly unlikely that by some great coincidence, the very best available coach at any one time happens to be that bloke who we liked who happened to recently retire from the first team.

Surely we should be trying to lure the very best talent from the world, with the best, modern coaching techniques, the most effective ideas, regardless of any playing career at all. I've always found it strange that Dodd, Williams, Jaidi, Davies etc were considered the best candidates for such key roles. Nice guys, but were they really the ones we should have been putting straight into roles that are pretty vital for the future of a club playing at the top level in the world?

I am going to start by saying I know absolutely nothing about how good any of our coaches are or the performances of any team but the first. However, I've never understood our habit of giving top level coaching jobs to popular former players. We're a premier league team and should be employing the very best coaches we can find who will want to be part of a coaching set up in one of the highest profile, highest lever footbal divisions in the world. It just seems incredibly unlikely that by some great coincidence, the very best available coach at any one time happens to be that bloke who we liked who happened to recently retire from the first team.

Surely we should be trying to lure the very best talent from the world, with the best, modern coaching techniques, the most effective ideas, regardless of any playing career at all. I've always found it strange that Dodd, Williams, Jaidi, Davies etc were considered the best candidates for such key roles. Nice guys, but were they really the ones we should have been putting straight into roles that are pretty vital for the future of a club playing at the top level in the world?

its a very fair point but do think that there can be a good continuity of philosophy provided by recent ex players. People that know the club and buy in to the beliefs and have "been there and done it". It needs to be a bit of a mix though as just ex pros does not beat good coaching you are certainly right

Doddsy and Williams were appointed when we (the 1st team) were in League One, not sure that attracting the best in the world coaches was too likely to have worked at that stage. Thing is, bringing in ex players who want to move into management/coaching is a fairly standard approach by many clubs. Where else do you get started? Not everyone gets the luxury of joining a 1st team without any experience like Gerrard or Lampard. Jaidi is quite highly thought of in coaching terms, was certainly under consideration for the Tunisian national team last season. I suspect if he has been sacked (and at the moment the only source is Manji) then its not based on results, reckon there is something else going on.

its a very fair point but do think that there can be a good continuity of philosophy provided by recent ex players. People that know the club and buy in to the beliefs and have "been there and done it". It needs to be a bit of a mix though as just ex pros does not beat good coaching you are certainly right

I'd agree with that if these players had been through a system where they had learned innovative and game changing tactics and methods from a great coach, but what kind of team and manager did these players learn from? These are the Dave Jones plodders, the Burley years, class of Wotte, Poortvliet, Dennis Wise, Dave Bassett, relegation and survival. These are the students of outdated methods, styles and practice and managers we used to complain about having no plan B. I kind of feel that this level of coach is part of the stagnation of our team and playing style, but as I said, I really wouldn't know and Jaidi and Davies could in fact be talented and innovative coaches being held back by the system around them.

I'd agree with that if these players had been through a system where they had learned innovative and game changing tactics and methods from a great coach, but what kind of team and manager did these players learn from? These are the Dave Jones plodders, the Burley years, class of Wotte, Poortvliet, Dennis Wise, Dave Bassett, relegation and survival. These are the students of outdated methods, styles and practice and managers we used to complain about having no plan B. I kind of feel that this level of coach is part of the stagnation of our team and playing style, but as I said, I really wouldn't know and Jaidi and Davies could in fact be talented and innovative coaches being held back by the system around them.

Williams was never a Dave Jones plodder, he joined with Strachan and didn't stay long. Dodd admittedly played under Jones, but he played under a lot of other coaches as well, some good (Ball, Merrington, Hoddle/Gorman, Strachan) and some awful (Branfoot), gaining a lot of experience both good and bad under a variety of managers, really don't think he was a particularly bad appoinment given our position at the time.

You're probably right and my comments are based on zero knowledge of good coaching or of these people. I just feel that we sometimes don't take these key positions as seriously as we should and that we set our sights low, which has a knock on effect for the future. It always feels a bit like mates saying the equivalent of "Don't worry mate, we'll find a place for you in the set up" when there must be some outstanding candidates out there if we were a bit more creative. Narurally there is a place for a boot room mentality when you're building on success and handing over the reins smoothly to someone coming up through a proven system though.

You're probably right and my comments are based on zero knowledge of good coaching or of these people. I just feel that we sometimes don't take these key positions as seriously as we should and that we set our sights low, which has a knock on effect for the future. It always feels a bit like mates saying the equivalent of "Don't worry mate, we'll find a place for you in the set up" when there must be some outstanding candidates out there if we were a bit more creative. Narurally there is a place for a boot room mentality when you're building on success and handing over the reins smoothly to someone coming up through a proven system though.

Tend to agree with you actually, just think Doddsy and Williams were poor example. Think things are changing a bit, possibly. Andrew Sparkes, for instance, highly regarded goalkeeper coach brought in, not many internal appointments since Jaidi, Butterfield was an ex player but he joined as coach from Exeter. Will be interesting to see who they bring in to replace Jaidi, if indeed he has been sacked. No mention of it in Monday briefing from the Club (but that's no surprise), and we do have a game tomorrow in the Leasing.com trophy at Coventry.

Trust me you are close . Our coaching set up is ****. Ralph looks totally alone during a game.

What I don't understand is following on from that forum thing where wee Ross and everyone else was blowing smoke up Ralphs arse and all the top dogs were saying they know they made mistakes but we are all on the right direction now.

Well that was obviously crap and we have not learnt anything,

U21s preview (Coventry away tonight) on OS, no mention of the the coach. Also OS page about "teams" where players and staff are listed has been unavailable for a couple of days now. Surely just removing Jaidi for one page doesn't necessitate this.

Whatever the truth of the matter one thing you can be sure about the club will not be open about it. It took over a month for Rohl's departure to filter out. It's the way the club is run these days.

So hang on, he hasn't actually been sacked? Slightly misleading thread title surely!

They are trying to get him another position in the team.

The guy running the team now is another Bristol City player who went on to manage Watford under 23s. I’m just reporting information as I get it.

Trust me you are close . Our coaching set up is ****. Ralph looks totally alone during a game.

Not surprised, we've got a load of junior coaches. How Kelvin Davis and Dave Watson are first team coaches now is a joke. What's the new bloke like, Richard Kirbichler or whatever it's spelt, the new Danny Rohl. Ralph obviously needs a competent assistant.

U21s preview (Coventry away tonight) on OS, no mention of the the coach. Also OS page about "teams" where players and staff are listed has been unavailable for a couple of days now. Surely just removing Jaidi for one page doesn't necessitate this.

Staff for under 23's up now on OS and Radhi still there.

He was. U18’s really picked up form when he came in to help Fleming.

One of the reasons I'm not keen on Fleming/Jaidi. The players look 'coached', but robotic. That's no good in football. Secondly they don't say anything e.g. they often say 'learning experience', 'put into place the lessons/gameplan', 'that's not the way we play' etc. They sound like they don't have a clue, no technical or tactical nous at all. The under 18s seem to have a few pretty good kids e.g. Bellis (I think) who has good feet. But he got nicked from Man City anyway. So the only good kids seem to be the ones we buy in with talent; we don't seem to be able to make the kids that have been here a long time and who should be natural footballers any good.

Seen it coming for ages. The u23's have no discernible style of play except long balls dow the channels and vainglorious chases that rarely succeed. When you consider that we now recruit supposedly the best talent we can find abroad as well as nationally and that several of our recent captures are highly thought of as future stars it does make you wonder what goes on at Marchwood when eyes and attentions are elsewhere.