Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 50 of 144

Thread: Man City 2-1 Saints - Reaction

  1. #1

    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Hidden behind enemy lines
    Posts
    11,455

    Default Man City 2-1 Saints - Reaction

    Some pride restored if nothing else but I can't help feeling that we'll follow it up with an absolute non-performance against Everton.

  2. Default

    Guh.

    Well played Saints, unlucky lads.

  3. #3

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Amesbury
    Posts
    13,829

    Default

    Great effort from all

  4. #4

    Default

    Something to build on

  5. #5

    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Behind you. Now, stop touching that.
    Posts
    12,823
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    I'm just gonna try and stay emotion neutral until after Christmas. I can't take any more contradictions

  6. #6

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Romsey.
    Posts
    1,427

    Default

    One day we will score a goal in the 4th minute of injury time that means something

  7. #7

    Default

    Terrific display from the players.
    pep and co really made me hate Qatar city even more. Hope they never win the champions league and scummy liverpool beat them to the league.

    Once again i'm completely bemused at Ralph's refusal to make changes though. We should have had fresh legs on before they scored.

  8. #8

    Default

    Standard issue noble defeat.

    But some hope.

  9. #9

    Default

    Gutted to lose like that after brilliant defending all game, but a massive step up from last week and something for us to work with.

  10. #10

    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Was NI now Shropshire..!
    Posts
    8,326

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by fanimal View Post
    One day we will score a goal in the 4th minute of injury time that means something
    What, just like mane just did..... ***t....

    Sent from my SM-T590 using Tapatalk

  11. #11

    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Was NI now Shropshire..!
    Posts
    8,326

    Default

    Sounds like we gave it our best shot, can't grumble, need points from somewhere fast though.

    Sent from my SM-T590 using Tapatalk

  12. #12

    Default

    Put that effort in every week and we'll make up for the lack of quality like we did when Poch first took over from Adkins.

  13. Default

    Such a shame to concede from two of our only mistakes all day. Was that Vestergaard's best performance for us? Up there with Man Utd this season.

  14. #14

    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Gotham city
    Posts
    5,404

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by HarvSFC View Post
    Put that effort in every week and we'll make up for the lack of quality like we did when Poch first took over from Adkins.
    It means nothing if we are poor against Everton

    Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

  15. #15

    Default

    Everton game massive

    I hope that's given the players a much needed confidence boost, even if ultimately it wasn't to be.

  16. #16

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr X View Post
    It means nothing if we are poor against Everton

    Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk
    Wait and see mr negative we haven’t played them yet could do without so called fans like you

  17. #17

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Ampshoire - where else?!
    Posts
    7,018

    Default

    They earned their corn today - everyone thought we were up for a severe battering and we nearly upset the apple cart.
    Defended like devils against an obscenely expensive assembled capable team.

    Build on it lads

  18. #18

    Default

    Unlucky boys, always a tough ask to keep them out over 90 minutes but we defended well for the majority of that game. Great to see high levels of committment from our lads and we're a bit unlucky not to get a point today but it's something to build on.

    Hopefully we can start with a win against Everton next week. COYR.

  19. #19

    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    WHAT?! The "land of the free?" Whoever told you that is your enemy!
    Posts
    18,619

    Default

    Hard to read something into that result really. On the one hand we fought and scrapped and almost got something. There was definitely more pride and hard work on display than last friday

    Ultimately though against a team like city the way we played is the way any lower league side would play a cup game ( sit deep make them work to break you down hope nick one on the break). It's not a style we can play every week or at home if we hope to pick up points or escape relegation. We need to combine that work ethic and commitment with some footballing skill and I'm not sure the squad has that in them.

    Hopefully this performance gives them a bit of confidence going forward but I could easily see a complete cluster **** against Everton.



    Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

  20. Default

    Great effort all round. Proud of every one of them. Everton is a massive game.

  21. Default

    Last 10 minutes reminded me how exciting Djenepo is, huge boost to have him back for Everton. Pleased for a couple of the lads who came in and really played well, and a few who recovered from Friday, particularly Valery who was solid. Ings gave everything he had, as we knew he would. Everton huge, winnable.

  22. #22

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    3,909

    Default

    Superb effort today. Restored considerable faith for me.

  23. #23

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Micky View Post
    Sounds like we gave it our best shot, can't grumble, need points from somewhere fast though.

    Sent from my SM-T590 using Tapatalk
    Players gave it their best shot. The manager needs to work out that there isn't a rule that Saints can't make a sub before the 75 minute.

  24. #24

    Default

    He was only on for ten minutes, but we have to build the team around Djenepo. He's the only player in our squad with more than one good quality.

  25. #25

    Default

    Everton game massive

    I hope that's given the players a much needed confidence boost, even if ultimately it wasn't to be.

  26. #26

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Bitterne Park
    Posts
    2,213

    Default

    Standard raise their game performance against a top side by us only to mess it up next week against Everton. Another false dawn beckons....

  27. #27

    Default

    Superb effort today, Stephens, Vestergaard and Valery brilliant.

    Onto a decent run of games now. Think we can cause Everton and Arsenal problems on the counter

  28. #28

    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    WHAT?! The "land of the free?" Whoever told you that is your enemy!
    Posts
    18,619

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by verlaine1979 View Post
    He was only on for ten minutes, but we have to build the team around Djenepo. He's the only player in our squad with more than one good quality.
    I'm pinning all my hopes for the season on him.

    If we can the cart horses in the rest of the squad to at least show pride, commitment and hard work like today I'm hoping he will have enough x- factor to get us results.

    It's not much of a plan mind.

    Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

  29. #29

    Default

    Please don’t moan about this result/performance anyone. That was much better than expected. Let’s be positive!

  30. #30

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Amesbury
    Posts
    13,829

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr X View Post
    It means nothing if we are poor against Everton

    Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by bpsaint View Post
    Standard raise their game performance against a top side by us only to mess it up next week against Everton. Another false dawn beckons....
    That's the spirit lads

  31. #31

    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    WHAT?! The "land of the free?" Whoever told you that is your enemy!
    Posts
    18,619

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bpsaint View Post
    Standard raise their game performance against a top side by us only to mess it up next week against Everton. Another false dawn beckons....
    Could well be certainaly it has been that way for the last few seasons.

    Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

  32. #32

    Default

    Better, but we need to put in performances and take points from Everton and Watford. Also a win or draw would have probably sealed the title for Liverpool

    Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

  33. #33

    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Rothschild and Soros HQ
    Posts
    19,362
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by doddisalegend View Post
    Hard to read something into that result really. On the one hand we fought and scrapped and almost got something. There was definitely more pride and hard work on display than last friday

    Ultimately though against a team like city the way we played is the way any lower league side would play a cup game ( sit deep make them work to break you down hope nick one on the break). It's not a style we can play every week or at home if we hope to pick up points or escape relegation. We need to combine that work ethic and commitment with some footballing skill and I'm not sure the squad has that in them.

    Hopefully this performance gives them a bit of confidence going forward but I could easily see a complete cluster **** against Everton.



    Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk
    Agree - its a decent result after last week but watching us was no different from watching Wigan a few years ago in the cup (only difference they beat City). We put in a similar performance under Mauricio Pellegrino only to revert to type the next few games when we had to show a bit more initiative. Mind you Djenepo showed some real flashes in his brief cameo (if anything he should have come on earlier as Ings was shot).
    Last edited by shurlock; 02-11-2019 at 05:18 PM.

  34. #34

    Default

    After losing 9-0 last week, if you'd have offered us a one goal defeat away to Man City, we'd have snapped your hand off.

    Hopefully some confidence can be taken from the creditable, albeit losing, showings this week. It's still an uphill struggle: Newcastle winning has cast us slightly adrift. But at least we didn't fall to pieces.

    Sent from my F3311 using Tapatalk

  35. #35

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Shanghai
    Posts
    178

    Default

    Seriously though is that the “entertainment” we should be looking forward to each week. Looking forward to finally being relegated so we can actually have some competitive games. Genuinely don’t understand why anybody gives a **** about staying in the premier league.

  36. #36

    Default

    The effort was there, but if we hadn't scored the early goal we would be moaning about a complete lack of adventure or effort to score. It was better than during the week, but not a lot. We were encamped in our own half and reliant on City NOT taking their chances. Eventually they did.

    Don't get me wrong, I am pleased to see the likes of Romeu and JWP chucking themselves in front shots, but that bravery needs to be matched on the ball. Time after time we just hoofed it nowhere or in to touch instead of having the bravery to keep the ball, draw the foul and at least try to make the odd break away. City are top class, but they are still human and susceptible to concede on the break. I guess we had the goal and just shut up shop, but we have to do more when we have the ball. At Everton we cant have ten man behind the ball.

    One positive was Djenepo when he came on. Boy does he look full of confidence and he MUST start next week. With a solid base behind him, we can win that game.

  37. #37

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Bitterne Park
    Posts
    2,213

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by saints-til-i-die View Post
    Please don’t moan about this result/performance anyone. That was much better than expected. Let’s be positive!
    Better than expected perhaps, but we still lost, and it’s still the same shower that made us a laughing stock last week against Leicester.

    Build on this next week and get the 3 points against Everton and perhaps we’ll look back on today as a turning point, I’m just fed up of being let down by my team.

  38. #38

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Shanghai Saint View Post
    Seriously though is that the “entertainment” we should be looking forward to each week. Looking forward to finally being relegated so we can actually have some competitive games. Genuinely don’t understand why anybody gives a **** about staying in the premier league.
    if we don't stay up we could well go into financial meltdown. Besides, if you don't want to be in the top flight, what is the point of it all? Don't answer that. There is no point to all.

  39. #39

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Amesbury
    Posts
    13,829

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Shanghai Saint View Post
    Seriously though is that the “entertainment” we should be looking forward to each week. Looking forward to finally being relegated so we can actually have some competitive games. Genuinely don’t understand why anybody gives a **** about staying in the premier league.
    Looking forward to relegation, ffs what a tool
    And just as a side issue, if we do go down you will hardly get to watch us

  40. #40

    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Behind you. Now, stop touching that.
    Posts
    12,823
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Shanghai Saint View Post
    Seriously though is that the “entertainment” we should be looking forward to each week. Looking forward to finally being relegated so we can actually have some competitive games. Genuinely don’t understand why anybody gives a **** about staying in the premier league.
    Pride, ambition, financial stability.......you just can't compare it to a wet weekend in Grimsby

  41. #41

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Windsor...ish.
    Posts
    12,465

    Default

    Well I don’t have to lick anyone’s winky tip but I was sweating balls for a while. If there is anything like a good defeat, this was probably it.

    Still starting to get cut adrift at the bottom now as other mediocre teams pick up points. But we have our ‘easier’ spell to come, so today’s improved performance is a positive sign.

  42. #42

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Southampton, United Kingdom
    Posts
    8,593

    Default

    If we were 4th coming off the back of 6 wins I’d have been happy with that performance.

    The fact it’s come at our lowest ebb certainly gives you a little bit of hope for the future. Just a bit.

  43. #43

    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Behind you. Now, stop touching that.
    Posts
    12,823
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SNSUN View Post
    Well I don’t have to lick anyone’s winky tip but I was sweating balls for a while. If there is anything like a good defeat, this was probably it.

    Still starting to get cut adrift at the bottom now as other mediocre teams pick up points. But we have our ‘easier’ spell to come, so today’s improved performance is a positive sign.
    Winky tip is the most I took from that post, but yeah, I agree with the rest too

  44. #44

    Default

    Pride partially restored.

    Now lets win some games with a more attacking lineup.

  45. #45

    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Rothschild and Soros HQ
    Posts
    19,362
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ohio Saint View Post
    Pride, ambition, financial stability.......you just can't compare it to a wet weekend in Grimsby
    Shanghai Saint gets to tick it off the 92?

  46. #46

    Default

    It's a bit of a lifeline. Another heavy defeat would have seen heads go down at the club.

    But, apart from the scoreline, which of course is what counts most of all, the stats against us were as one sided as in the Leicester game:

    Possession: 76% - 24%
    Shots: 25 - 3
    Corners: 17 - 0

    The key differences were that McCarthy is a better goalkeeper than Gunn, and kept us in the game and, of course, this time we were playing with 11 men.

    Still, only losing 2-1 means we can go into the Everton game with more confidence than if we'd been thrashed again.

  47. #47

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Well North of the Wrekin
    Posts
    1,651

    Default

    A much better effort but in the end we lost.
    One day we may just score a winner in time added on.
    Still in the bottom three but playing the Toffees next week may give us a way out.

  48. #48

    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Totton
    Posts
    71

    Default

    Only one team deserved to win and they did. In the circumstances I'll forgive Saints for being so defensive and I guess not losing by too many was the objective, so mission accomplished and not without a great effort from everyone - so well done for that. But as others have suggested effort alone will not get us up the league table, IMO next weeks game is a big indication of how our season will evolve. Plus it's still very early but I agree that Djenepo looks the business.

  49. Default

    We lost

  50. #50

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Shanghai
    Posts
    178

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ALWAYS_SFC View Post
    Looking forward to relegation, ffs what a tool
    And just as a side issue, if we do go down you will hardly get to watch us
    And straight to the insults - says more about you than me. Back in the UK as well so get to watch every week after the paint has dried.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •