Man City 2-1 Saints - Reaction

Lighthouse

I thought Playing PEH at left back actually made our midfield less clunky and clumsy letting Romeu and JWP get on with it and having an out through Armstrong to Ings and Redmond, not that there was much chance of implementing it but when we did - hey presto!

Be interesting to see if RH try’s that again v Everton and whether Bertrand just gets allowed to swan back in v Arsenal.

Plus it's still very early but I agree that Djenepo looks the business.
I thought Danso, when he came on, looked a little loose with the ball, which made me nervous, but he at least seemed to have the size and physicality we have been missing for several years. Hard to say if he is good enough to play at CB in the Prem straight away, but seeing as we loaned him you'd think that is what Ralf had in mind.

Looking forward to seeing us go for it next week. McCarthy made a couple of errors, but is the right choice. We have some choices to make at the back and up front. Ralf needs to get them right.

We also had a couple of years of battling relegation in the Championship... It's not all roses, you don't instantly start winning after getting relegated, look at Stoke. It's better to lose to Man City than it is Luton.

That’s a good point and preferable to just being insulted. I would argue that at least out of the Premier League it is much more of a level playing field. The top flight is increasingly about those that have financial backing and the rest just gasping for air.

Anyone else frustrated with seeing Djenepo desperate for the ball, waving his arms out on the wing with no City players anywhere near him, but others ignoring him?

PEH as a left wing back was surprisingly good, as were all the back five. Maybe the Leicester humiliation woke up a few complacent players and staff?

What was the change in defence then?

All defended very well considering he constant pressure!

Sat deeper?

No frills?

Better set up in front of the back 3/5?

Just one of those days?

We have to follow this up with being more attacking, which will happen with Djenepo in the team...

It's a bit of a lifeline. Another heavy defeat would have seen heads go down at the club.

But, apart from the scoreline, which of course is what counts most of all, the stats against us were as one sided as in the Leicester game:

Possession: 76% - 24%

Shots: 25 - 3

Corners: 17 - 0

The key differences were that McCarthy is a better goalkeeper than Gunn, and kept us in the game and, of course, this time we were playing with 11 men.

Still, only losing 2-1 means we can go into the Everton game with more confidence than if we'd been thrashed again.

Shots on target 4-2. That was a major difference. Gunn wouldn't have conceded 9 if there had only been 4 on target.

It's a bit of a lifeline. Another heavy defeat would have seen heads go down at the club.

But, apart from the scoreline, which of course is what counts most of all, the stats against us were as one sided as in the Leicester game:

Possession: 76% - 24%

Shots: 25 - 3

Corners: 17 - 0

The key differences were that McCarthy is a better goalkeeper than Gunn, and kept us in the game and, of course, this time we were playing with 11 men.

Still, only losing 2-1 means we can go into the Everton game with more confidence than if we'd been thrashed again.

He didn’t have a save to make for ages. Agree his presence helps generally

What was the change in defence then?

All defended very well considering he constant pressure!

Sat deeper?

No frills?

Better set up in front of the back 3/5?

Just one of those days?

We have to follow this up with being more attacking, which will happen with Djenepo in the team...

We sat deep, in numbers, hardly moved into their half and put bodies on the line which is fine when you are a poor side playing against someone like City. Problem is we can't play like that every week we have to more attacking if we are going to score goals and win games. Which is the problem as soon as we open up to attack lesser teams our defence will be exposed again.

So high press is out and sit deep is in?

That was arguably the deepest sit-in of any team in the prem though. We will need have an "out" if we're to create chances and get points.

If Djenepo stays fit and Redmond/Ings are on fire for the rest of the season we have a chance.

That was arguably the deepest sit-in of any team in the prem though. We will need have an "out" if we're to create chances and get points.

If Djenepo stays fit and Redmond/Ings are on fire for the rest of the season we have a chance.

I doubt we will employ the same 'sit deep' against every other term we play. It was man city away, one of the best teams in the league. They can take most teams apart on their day, we did well today.

Sent from my SM-T590 using Tapatalk

We haven’t got the personnel for a high press. Certainly not against a team like City. It would be suicide to try that especially away from home. If the club support him, which they’ve so far pretty much failed to do, then maybe we can adopt this strategy in the future with capable players.

Didn’t watch the game. I’ve seen the goals though. Looks like McC came and missed his punch on the winner. Sounds like he did well otherwise. Both goals came from us allowing wide men space to cross. Augero is obviously world class but he did his same back off to the penalty spot move and no one went with him.

Too bad that we worked so hard and came away with nothing, very Saintsy.

Unlucky today, we gave it our all and I thought the defence played brilliantly. Djenpo has to start next week if fit, was running past people for fun and looks the real deal. Also at the end he looked upset about something and properly cared about the result, got a bright future hopefully.

It's about the journey not the destination.

I don't think Shanghai Saint is alone in thinking the Premier League isn't much fun.

Disagree. Have to stay up at all costs. No guarantee we wouldn’t go all the way down to brink of administration again or worse

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Won’t be many teams that push Man City to the 87th minute at their place. Have been watching Saints home and away for decades and I can’t remember more blocks and interceptions. Great to see and this was main reason they had so few shots on target.

Three centre backs all excellent, and I thought JWP, Romeu and Armstrong gave good protection in front of them. If being critical I would have expected us to do a little better when we did clear our lines, and felt front two made it too easy for City to restartanother attack.

We won’t come under as much pressure most weeks, and if we defend as well as that we will start to collect clean sheets which for a club like ours is only way to win games consistently. Can’t be expected to score three or four each week to win in Premier League.

Just watched MoTD. Is it just me or does Ralph look unwell??? Seems to have lost weight and looked very pale and drawn.

I watched midweek on the the cracking ripple stream with what must be a 4K quality picture - at the final whistle the camera was in on Ralph and he looked like he hadn’t slept since Friday.

A 0-9 record hammering has to haunt you as a manager

Can’t believe how many people are praising the defending, if aguero had a decent game it would’ve 4-5 conceded easily, he had so many touches in the box without a single defender having any sort of touch on him
As someone who was actually at the game, that's ridiculous. When Aguero scored it was the one occasion he found a but of space and got the shot in first time before he was closed down. Before that he had been crowded out and had shots blocked again and again: really determined defending that we've got used to not seeing.

And McCarthy was unlucky with both goals. First through his legs before he could react and he got a punch on the cross fir the second, which admittedly could have been better, but dropped perfectly for Walker.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Bit more confidence in McCarthy but he still misjudged the cross for the winner, and the equaliser was the first shot he had to save, which went in through his legs. Djenepo and Armstrong need to start next week. Two of Romeu, Hoj and JWP out for me.

McCarthy was excellent. Perhaps we were at different games because I remember a number if saves, and any number of crosses caught. Aguero's goal was a first time shot through McCarthy's legs before he could react.

As for next week, same team. Hojbjerg can't be dropped as he's our LB for now, and doing well. And JWP and Romeu were our hardest-working players yesterday, absolute key to the performance. Armstrong did start, in case you didn't notice, and was also good.

Yes, I want to see Djenepo as soon as possible but think it'll be from the bench next week.

Any player ratings from someone who watched the match?
I wouldn't criticise any of them.

McCarthy: seems to inspire more confidence. Should keep the shirt.

Hojbjerg: looks competent at LB, but won't be an attacking WB. Valery decent game, kept Sterling quiet.

CBs all worked very hard. I was surprised to see Stephens and Vestergaard on the team sheet, but they both had their best games for some time.

I thought the midfield were outstanding with closing down and blocking. JWP also was very sharp for the goal.

Redmond and Ings had few opportunities in attack but contributed massively in defence. They didn't get good relieving balls out to them.

Danso was ok when he came on and Djenepo exciting.

Great team performance. Maybe the ultra-defensive approach will be criticised, but it nearly worked and, when we tried to get forward after their second, they were tearing us apart on the counter.

I wouldn't criticise any of them.

McCarthy: seems to inspire more confidence. Should keep the shirt.

Hojbjerg: looks competent at LB, but won't be an attacking WB. Valery decent game, kept Sterling quiet.

CBs all worked very hard. I was surprised to see Stephens and Vestergaard on the team sheet, but they both had their best games for some time.

I thought the midfield were outstanding with closing down and blocking. JWP also was very sharp for the goal.

Redmond and Ings had few opportunities in attack but contributed massively in defence. They didn't get good relieving balls out to them.

Danso was ok when he came on and Djenepo exciting.

Great team performance. Maybe the ultra-defensive approach will be criticised, but it nearly worked and, when we tried to get forward after their second, they were tearing us apart on the counter.

That's the issue for me we can't play like we did yesterday every week. Its was that right call yesterday given the state of our squad. In some ways this game was easier for our players they just had to concentrate on keeping their shape and defending in numbers. I'm not knocking their effort or commitment they fought hard and all credit to the players for that. Problem is once we have to start attacking teams and pushing up the pitch the lack of engine and pace in our midfield will leave our defence exposed and teams will cut us apart on the counter.