Man City 2-1 Saints - Reaction

Lighthouse

That's the issue for me we can't play like we did yesterday every week. Its was that right call yesterday given the state of our squad. In some ways this game was easier for our players they just had to concentrate on keeping their shape and defending in numbers. I'm not knocking their effort or commitment they fought hard and all credit to the players for that. Problem is once we have to start attacking teams and pushing up the pitch the lack of engine and pace in our midfield will leave our defence exposed and teams will cut us apart on the counter.
I agree entirely. Lack of pace and dynamism in Midfield is a real problem. We are crying out for a pacey box to box player

Sent from my SM-A320FL using Tapatalk

That's the issue for me we can't play like we did yesterday every week. Its was that right call yesterday given the state of our squad. In some ways this game was easier for our players they just had to concentrate on keeping their shape and defending in numbers. I'm not knocking their effort or commitment they fought hard and all credit to the players for that. Problem is once we have to start attacking teams and pushing up the pitch the lack of engine and pace in our midfield will leave our defence exposed and teams will cut us apart on the counter.

Djenepo is the key. There was no lack of energy and stamina in our midfield yesterday. All of Armstrong, JWP and Romeu (and Hojbjerg) can be box to box players (JWP was our most advanced player to react for our goal yeaterday) but we need faster service to Djenepo/Redmond/Boufal who can provide the incision and pace.

If will help too when we've got two wing backs.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Djenepo is the key. There was no lack of energy and stamina in our midfield yesterday. All of Armstrong, JWP and Romeu (and Hojbjerg) can be box to box players (JWP was our most advanced player to react for our goal yeaterday) but we need faster service to Djenepo/Redmond/Boufal who can provide the incision and pace.

yes but it was about 90% directed towards defending which is the point JWP, Hoj and Romeu just don't have the pace to get back when they push up the pitch and when we lose the ball the defence ends up exposed and we get punished.

Edited by doddisalegend

I see the way forward slightly differently..play a standard back four with two sitting midfielders to protect the back four and that leaves four offensive players, namely, Armstrong, Redmond, Djenepo and Ings. I think we’ll beat most lower table teams with that combo, it’s just choosing the two CBs and sticking with them until a greater understanding prevails.

I wouldn't criticise any of them.

McCarthy: seems to inspire more confidence. Should keep the shirt.

Hojbjerg: looks competent at LB, but won't be an attacking WB. Valery decent game, kept Sterling quiet.

CBs all worked very hard. I was surprised to see Stephens and Vestergaard on the team sheet, but they both had their best games for some time.

I thought the midfield were outstanding with closing down and blocking. JWP also was very sharp for the goal.

Redmond and Ings had few opportunities in attack but contributed massively in defence. They didn't get good relieving balls out to them.

Danso was ok when he came on and Djenepo exciting.

Great team performance. Maybe the ultra-defensive approach will be criticised, but it nearly worked and, when we tried to get forward after their second, they were tearing us apart on the counter.

Agree with this. People forget how City like to win the ball back early. When our midfield tried an extra touch to find a forward option, the ball was nicked off them. Given that Everton's MO at the moment is to use pace to get in behind, I would not be upset to see the same 11 start next week. Maybe Boufal or Djenepo in for a CB, but defend deep to deny any space in behind.

Better performance, better result than I expected. So far so good ….but Ralph needs to be told the best form of defence is attack. Not reckless attack, but look to alleviate pressure on the defence by going forward. Even when we had possesson we still went sideways and backwards. Would have stretched the game by bringing Boufal and Djenepo on earlier.

Hopefully we see a more attack minded lineup and play next weekend.

Better performance, better result than I expected. So far so good ….but Ralph needs to be told the best form of defence is attack. Not reckless attack, but look to alleviate pressure on the defence by going forward. Even when we had possesson we still went sideways and backwards. Would have stretched the game by bringing Boufal and Djenepo on earlier.

Hopefully we see a more attack minded lineup and play next weekend.

What was frustrating yesterday was the ball being fed to Redmond, more often than not he would head off up the pitch but by the Halfway line he was dithering and would instantly get swamped by city players and dispossessed as he realised he was on his own, instead of backing himself and burning on up the pitch, which would have still drawn City players to him but Armstrong, Ings possibly Valery would have caught up to give him a pass option. This happened more than once or twice which resulted in Ings and Armstrong just sitting tight as they knew the ball was going to be recycled back at us with the usual City intensity.

It would be good to see Djenepo get a run as, you can see he doesn’t need very much time by comparison to Redmond in thinking what his next move will be.

I don't think anyone is 'excited' by the result but even the most miserable, pessimistic fan could see the effort from our players and how hard City had to work for their victory. A lot of teams will get badly turned over at the Etihad this season and thankfully we're not one of them.

If some fans are happy with that so be it. Once Ward Prowse is included in the line-up we might as well pack up our kit and FO home. It is an utter disgrace that we are reduced to starting players like Stephens, Ward Prowse & Armstrong so inept of ideas are we at competing in a football match. If valiant rearguard actions that ultimately fail is what it has come down to then we deserve to be relegated. This club is fats becoming a non-entity in terms of appeal and watchability. Sad, sad day!

If some fans are happy with that so be it. Once Ward Prowse is included in the line-up we might as well pack up our kit and FO home. It is an utter disgrace that we are reduced to starting players like Stephens, Ward Prowse & Armstrong so inept of ideas are we at competing in a football match. If valiant rearguard actions that ultimately fail is what it has come down to then we deserve to be relegated. This club is fats becoming a non-entity in terms of appeal and watchability. Sad, sad day!
JWP was excellent yesterday, blocking, covering and getting forward. Perhaps you didn't notice he was the quickest to react for our goal, which he seems to have scored.

But please don't let facts get in the way of your hatred and prejudice.

Armstrong also put in tremendous work and I seem to recall it was his shot that led to the goal. And, although I've been a critic on more than one occasion, Stephens did very little wrong, especially getting in critical blocks.

Nothing like kicking your team as they're just getting a bit of pride back.

I don't think anyone is 'excited' by the result but even the most miserable, pessimistic fan could see the effort from our players and how hard City had to work for their victory. A lot of teams will get badly turned over at the Etihad this season and thankfully we're not one of them.

After the previous league result, this counts for Jack.

Forgive me for not getting excited about the outcome of this game.
Don't think anyone's getting excited, most are just seeing a glimmer if hope if we show the same qualities in the remaining games.

Sent from my SM-T590 using Tapatalk

Seeing it on MOTD it was a real shame/bit of luck that Alex palmed the ball straight to Walkers foot...
He had a good game but really it was poor goalkeeping rather than luck.

If you come off your line you have to get a good connection on it.

He had a good game but really it was poor goalkeeping rather than luck.

If you come off your line you have to get a good connection on it.

While i tend to agree with you, I'm actually glad that we do now have a goalkeeper willing to come off his line and at least try to affect the play, rather than one who stands rooted as the ball flies past him (al la Forster). But, yeah, Alec should've got more on it.

Edited by Micky

While i tend to agree with you, I'm actually glad that we're do now have a goalkeeper willing to come off his line and at least try to affect the play, rather than one who stands rooted as the ball flies past him (al la Forster). But, yeah, Alec should've got more on it.

I wonder who it was who trained Gunn to stay on his line (clue: could be Kelvin Davis - lost us so many goals because of that)

I wonder who it was who trained Gunn to stay on his line (clue: could be Kelvin Davis - lost us so many goals because of that)

Based on the fact Kelvin Davis doesn’t coach the GK’s, I’m guessing not.

I’d also argue Gunn does come off his line, which has led to some awful moments (Bournemouth, Wolves etc)

Other than that, you could be onto something.

DT has had a big chip on his shoulder about KD all along.

There is no saving him from his predudice

This is very true (albeit prejudice). I think he's the embodiment of mediocrity and am amazed he's a coach.

Based on the fact Kelvin Davis doesn’t coach the GK’s, I’m guessing not.

I’d also argue Gunn does come off his line, which has led to some awful moments (Bournemouth, Wolves etc)

Other than that, you could be onto something.

Please don't stop my anti-Davis nonsense

JWP was excellent yesterday, blocking, covering and getting forward. Perhaps you didn't notice he was the quickest to react for our goal, which he seems to have scored.

But please don't let facts get in the way of your hatred and prejudice.

Armstrong also put in tremendous work and I seem to recall it was his shot that led to the goal. And, although I've been a critic on more than one occasion, Stephens did very little wrong, especially getting in critical blocks.

Nothing like kicking your team as they're just getting a bit of pride back.

Odd incidents change nothing as you are very well aware, it's what happens in the bigger picture and over the years JWP & Stephens has proved wanting far more than they ever turn in a half decent performance. I am not prejudice against any player, it is what I have seen at SMS over many years. I can tell you that in the part of the Itchen where I sit and suffer week after week there are always loud groans when Stephens or WP are named in the starting XI.

Odd incidents change nothing as you are very well aware, it's what happens in the bigger picture and over the years JWP & Stephens has proved wanting far more than they ever turn in a half decent performance. I am not prejudice against any player, it is what I have seen at SMS over many years. I can tell you that in the part of the Itchen where I sit and suffer week after week there are always loud groans when Stephens or WP are named in the starting XI.
As I said, your prejudiced are set and responses pre-determined.

Try judging each performance on its merits.

Are you not including the Aguerro goal?
He took that so quickly I doubt anyone could have got in a block. Maybe any one of three players could have got tighter, but Aguero is very good at pulling away towards the penalty spot.

And yes, the cross could have been blocked or cut out. But it wasn't.

He took that so quickly I doubt anyone could have got in a block. Maybe any one of three players could have got tighter, but Aguero is very good at pulling away towards the penalty spot.

And yes, the cross could have been blocked or cut out. But it wasn't.

Aguero was Stephens’ man.

Aguero was Stephens’ man.

Nope, Ward Prowse was going for him then pulled up. Mind you I think the Sky highlights showed Stephens caused the mistake that led to the ball being played wide for the cross,doesn't show on the YouTube highlights. Mccarthy was actually at fault for both goals, needs to learn to keep his legs together.

Nope, Ward Prowse was going for him then pulled up. Mind you I think the Sky highlights showed Stephens caused the mistake that led to the ball being played wide for the cross,doesn't show on the YouTube highlights. Mccarthy was actually at fault for both goals, needs to learn to keep his legs together.

No chance. He was Stephens man but he lost him so JWP made an attempt to get close to him while Stephens marked the invisible man.