Man City 2-1 Saints - Reaction

Lighthouse

Put that effort in every week and we'll make up for the lack of quality like we did when Poch first took over from Adkins.
It means nothing if we are poor against Everton

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Unlucky boys, always a tough ask to keep them out over 90 minutes but we defended well for the majority of that game. Great to see high levels of committment from our lads and we're a bit unlucky not to get a point today but it's something to build on.

Hopefully we can start with a win against Everton next week. COYR.

Hard to read something into that result really. On the one hand we fought and scrapped and almost got something. There was definitely more pride and hard work on display than last friday

Ultimately though against a team like city the way we played is the way any lower league side would play a cup game ( sit deep make them work to break you down hope nick one on the break). It's not a style we can play every week or at home if we hope to pick up points or escape relegation. We need to combine that work ethic and commitment with some footballing skill and I'm not sure the squad has that in them.

Hopefully this performance gives them a bit of confidence going forward but I could easily see a complete cluster **** against Everton.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

Last 10 minutes reminded me how exciting Djenepo is, huge boost to have him back for Everton. Pleased for a couple of the lads who came in and really played well, and a few who recovered from Friday, particularly Valery who was solid. Ings gave everything he had, as we knew he would. Everton huge, winnable.

He was only on for ten minutes, but we have to build the team around Djenepo. He's the only player in our squad with more than one good quality.
I'm pinning all my hopes for the season on him.

If we can the cart horses in the rest of the squad to at least show pride, commitment and hard work like today I'm hoping he will have enough x- factor to get us results.

It's not much of a plan mind.

Hard to read something into that result really. On the one hand we fought and scrapped and almost got something. There was definitely more pride and hard work on display than last friday

Ultimately though against a team like city the way we played is the way any lower league side would play a cup game ( sit deep make them work to break you down hope nick one on the break). It's not a style we can play every week or at home if we hope to pick up points or escape relegation. We need to combine that work ethic and commitment with some footballing skill and I'm not sure the squad has that in them.

Hopefully this performance gives them a bit of confidence going forward but I could easily see a complete cluster **** against Everton.

Agree - its a decent result after last week but watching us was no different from watching Wigan a few years ago in the cup (only difference they beat City). We put in a similar performance under Mauricio Pellegrino only to revert to type the next few games when we had to show a bit more initiative. Mind you Djenepo showed some real flashes in his brief cameo (if anything he should have come on earlier as Ings was shot).

Edited by shurlock

After losing 9-0 last week, if you'd have offered us a one goal defeat away to Man City, we'd have snapped your hand off.

Hopefully some confidence can be taken from the creditable, albeit losing, showings this week. It's still an uphill struggle: Newcastle winning has cast us slightly adrift. But at least we didn't fall to pieces.

Sent from my F3311 using Tapatalk

The effort was there, but if we hadn't scored the early goal we would be moaning about a complete lack of adventure or effort to score. It was better than during the week, but not a lot. We were encamped in our own half and reliant on City NOT taking their chances. Eventually they did.

Don't get me wrong, I am pleased to see the likes of Romeu and JWP chucking themselves in front shots, but that bravery needs to be matched on the ball. Time after time we just hoofed it nowhere or in to touch instead of having the bravery to keep the ball, draw the foul and at least try to make the odd break away. City are top class, but they are still human and susceptible to concede on the break. I guess we had the goal and just shut up shop, but we have to do more when we have the ball. At Everton we cant have ten man behind the ball.

One positive was Djenepo when he came on. Boy does he look full of confidence and he MUST start next week. With a solid base behind him, we can win that game.

Please don’t moan about this result/performance anyone. That was much better than expected. Let’s be positive!

Better than expected perhaps, but we still lost, and it’s still the same shower that made us a laughing stock last week against Leicester.

Build on this next week and get the 3 points against Everton and perhaps we’ll look back on today as a turning point, I’m just fed up of being let down by my team.

Seriously though is that the “entertainment” we should be looking forward to each week. Looking forward to finally being relegated so we can actually have some competitive games. Genuinely don’t understand why anybody gives a **** about staying in the premier league.

if we don't stay up we could well go into financial meltdown. Besides, if you don't want to be in the top flight, what is the point of it all? Don't answer that. There is no point to all.

Seriously though is that the “entertainment” we should be looking forward to each week. Looking forward to finally being relegated so we can actually have some competitive games. Genuinely don’t understand why anybody gives a **** about staying in the premier league.

Looking forward to relegation, ffs what a tool

And just as a side issue, if we do go down you will hardly get to watch us

Pride, ambition, financial stability.......you just can't compare it to a wet weekend in Grimsby

Well I don’t have to lick anyone’s winky tip but I was sweating balls for a while. If there is anything like a good defeat, this was probably it.

Still starting to get cut adrift at the bottom now as other mediocre teams pick up points. But we have our ‘easier’ spell to come, so today’s improved performance is a positive sign.

Well I don’t have to lick anyone’s winky tip but I was sweating balls for a while. If there is anything like a good defeat, this was probably it.

Still starting to get cut adrift at the bottom now as other mediocre teams pick up points. But we have our ‘easier’ spell to come, so today’s improved performance is a positive sign.

Winky tip is the most I took from that post, but yeah, I agree with the rest too

It's a bit of a lifeline. Another heavy defeat would have seen heads go down at the club.

But, apart from the scoreline, which of course is what counts most of all, the stats against us were as one sided as in the Leicester game:

Possession: 76% - 24%

Shots: 25 - 3

Corners: 17 - 0

The key differences were that McCarthy is a better goalkeeper than Gunn, and kept us in the game and, of course, this time we were playing with 11 men.

Still, only losing 2-1 means we can go into the Everton game with more confidence than if we'd been thrashed again.

Only one team deserved to win and they did. In the circumstances I'll forgive Saints for being so defensive and I guess not losing by too many was the objective, so mission accomplished and not without a great effort from everyone - so well done for that. But as others have suggested effort alone will not get us up the league table, IMO next weeks game is a big indication of how our season will evolve. Plus it's still very early but I agree that Djenepo looks the business.