The next 5 games are key: predictions

Mr X

The next five games will decide whether we remain in the relegation zone at Xmas & I think have a huge impact on our chances of staying up

I see 5 points from the fixtures, what do you think?

Saints - Everton 1 point

Arsenal - Saints 0 points

Saints - Watford 1 point

Saints - Norwich 3 points

Newcastle - Saints 0 points

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Everton 3 points

Arsenal 0 points

Watford 3 points

Norwich 1 point

Newcastle 3 points

10 points and out of bottom 3

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

I like your optimism & hope your right, So you think more points in the next five games then we have achieved in the first eleven games?

I like your optimism & hope your right, So you think more points in the next five games then we have achieved in the first eleven games?

I do indeed. Redmond picking up some Form, Djenepo coming back from Injury. Boufal looking good.

McCarthy hopefully back in goal, showed some defensive solidarity today that will hopefully boost our defensive confidence. All fine lines though as we know.

I said it at the time but the freak Leicester result may just galvanise the team and make us more resilient, which was on show today

Everton W (will predict us winning 2-0)

Arsenal L (think this will be a thumping Arsenal win too after an international break)

Watford D (on Sky Sports against a somewhat bogey team at home)

Norwich W (not resounding mind, a bog standard 1-0)

Newcastle L (hate going up there, 2-1 to Newcastle)

Everton 3 points

Arsenal 0 points

Watford 3 points

Norwich 1 point

Newcastle 3 points

10 points and out of bottom 3

Watford are better than us and I fear we may be Troy Deeney’s first game back. Norwich are no mugs. And we’ll lose to Newcastle. Weirdly I think we’ll beat Arsenal and thus be Emery’s last game. Draw with Everton. So I think 4 points. Still in relegation zone. Unless we bring in a coach

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We’ve got to pick up two home wins from those. Even if we do, that would be two wins from eight home matches, which is rubbish.

So, I would say a fair target is 8 points (two home wins, one home draw and a point from the two aways).

Everton game is key. A chance to make some amends at home and go into this run with some confidence. Lost to Everton and write off Arsenal away and we’re into a run of six pointers on the back of awful form.

I’m just not sure we’ve got it in us defensively to string a run together.

Watford are better than us and I fear we may be Troy Deeney’s first game back. Norwich are no mugs. And we’ll lose to Newcastle. Weirdly I think we’ll beat Arsenal and thus be Emery’s last game. Draw with Everton. So I think 4 points. Still in relegation zone. Unless we bring in a coach

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well, they're not are they and previously held the record for biggest tanking this year so...

That said I am not overly optimistic either but we do need to beat both Newcastle and Watford and could do with beating Everton too. But if we keep picking the same bland defensive three in midfield, messing with defence) and not giving the creating elements in our team the chance to thrive we won't score enough goals let alone get enough points. Keeping them out should be something of a priority too.

All winable, 2 a must win, 1 or 2 a must not lose.

I think we’ll pick up 5 points (1 win against Norwich draw against Watford and Newcastle)

Relegation all but confirmed

No idea how many points we will get but prepared to expect nice surprises as well as disappointments as is Saints way,

let's hope the players haven't resigned themselves to failure like some on here

We’ve got to pick up two home wins from those. Even if we do, that would be two wins from eight home matches, which is rubbish.

So, I would say a fair target is 8 points (two home wins, one home draw and a point from the two aways).

Everton game is key. A chance to make some amends at home and go into this run with some confidence. Lost to Everton and write off Arsenal away and we’re into a run of six pointers on the back of awful form.

I’m just not sure we’ve got it in us defensively to string a run together.

In fairness we've had a fairly rough start at home fixtures wise. How many points would you expect from Liverpool, Man Utd, Bournemouth, Chelsea and Leicester?

I'd say Bournemouth should have been a win, but one point from the other four isn't *that* bad given they're all in the mix for the Champions League (results wise from Chelsea and Leicester is a different story, granted).

Agree with the rest though- we simply have to win against Everton, by hook or by crook.

You mean we aren't already?

Not yet. We’ve had tough fixtures, we were always going to be low on points barring some outstanding performances that we just don’t have the players to accomplish. Granted I thought we could have picked up points against Bournemouth and Burnley, but them aside we’ve had a tough run of it. We have 27 games still to play, still time to rise up the table. 8 points should have us towards mid-table, 5 at least would keep us in touch with those above the relegation zone. With 16 games gone we are then approaching the mid point of the season, and 4 points or fewer from the next 5 and I think we are well implanted into a relegation battle.