Hampshire CCC 2020 Season thread.

Picard

• 3 weeks later...

Fixtures are out:

https://www.bbc.com/sport/cricket/50549193

A reshuffle in 2019 saw three teams promoted from the second tier of the County Championship and one relegated from Division One, meaning 10 sides will compete in Division One and eight in Division Two in 2020.

All counties will still play 14 games in total, with some fixtures in Division One only taking place once.

What a joke. Hants only play Lancs, Northants, Essex and Surrey once. An amateurish way to run a professional sport.

It was completely normal in cricket throughout the 70/80's t0 play one team once and another team twice. It's always been one of those weird things in cricket. In 1973 when we won the championship there were 17 teams in a single division & Hampshire played 20 games. In 1986 when we came 2nd there were 17 teams in a single division and we played 24 games. In my first season of watching 1979 Hampshire played 21 games in a 17 team division. It's all part of the weird charm of cricket, that's why Americans don't understand it.

It was completely normal in cricket throughout the 70/80's t0 play one team once and another team twice. It's always been one of those weird things in cricket. In 1973 when we won the championship there were 17 teams in a single division & Hampshire played 20 games. In 1986 when we came 2nd there were 17 teams in a single division and we played 24 games. In my first season of watching 1979 Hampshire played 21 games in a 17 team division. It's all part of the weird charm of cricket, that's why Americans don't understand it.

I'm British and I don't understand why they can't play 18 matches.

Doesn't change my point though. Cricket historically played teams an uneven amount of times.

Amateurish then doesn't mean having to go back to being amateurish now. Back then it was even worse, 0 points for both teams if a match was abandoned without a ball being bowled (cost Hants the championship). That stupidity was rectified. And when the league was split they had a balanced schedule, so an uneven schedule was ended too. Why go back to it, especially now we have relegation. Imagine last season one team playing Essex and Somerset only once and Notts twice, and another team having it the other way around.

Yes Div 2 had an unbalanced schedule when they had 10 teams, but there is no relegation so it was not quite as bad. Still, it should've been balanced too.

Edited by Dark Munster

Amateurish then doesn't mean having to go back to being amateurish now. Back then it was even worse, 0 points for both teams if a match was abandoned without a ball being bowled (cost Hants the championship). That stupidity was rectified. And when the league was split they had a balanced schedule, so an uneven schedule was ended too. Why go back to it, especially now we have relegation. Imagine last season one team playing Essex and Somerset only once and Notts twice, and another team having it the other way around.

Yes Div 2 had an unbalanced schedule when they had 10 teams, but there is no relegation so it was not quite as bad. Still, it should've been balanced too.

I loved it back then. Amateurism & all.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Struck me today, with Abbott probably at the last year of the peak of his powers & Nathan Lyons contract (for this season at least) cancelled, this might have been our best chance of winning the championship. It's the only trophy i've never watched Hampshire win.

Struck me today, with Abbott probably at the last year of the peak of his powers & Nathan Lyons contract (for this season at least) cancelled, this might have been our best chance of winning the championship. It's the only trophy i've never watched Hampshire win.

Batting would have probably been far too weak to win the CC. Unless of course we've signed a couple when I wasn't paying attention, which has been most of the winter really.

• 3 months later...

For the first match of the season Vince and Dawson in England squad , Edwards and Abbott abroad, Rossouw on his Playstation, Donald injured. An opportunity for the youngsters.

Is Rossouw still at Hants? I never saw anything about him renewing his original 3 year contract.

3 hours ago, Picard said:

Is Rossouw still at Hants? I never saw anything about him renewing his original 3 year contract.

He's still listed in the squad on Hants CC official web site. As he signed his contract in 2017, presumably it expires at the end of this 'season'.

Edited by badgerx16

Rossouw only signed a white ball contract for 2020.  

Edwards not returning this year because of COVID restrictions. As he is a Kolpak and not valid after this season he will return next year for a testimonial.

Allowed 2 overseas from next season so Abbott and one more

Abbott and Wheal not in this country due to COVID

• 1 month later...

Tough mini season with all away games, we know the batsmen are very poor but not helped by the Aug/Sept wickets. Only Simpson and Alsop really going their SRs going today on either side. Crane bowled well. Tom Helm is a quality quick in the making and removed our only two truly established first class level batters (Vince and Northeast). The others have had good knocks but little consistency over a few seasons now. Fuller has contributed quite well with ball and bat. Holland does a job but you’ve got to question Wood and a few of the other bits and bobs being kept on. More quality and slightly less quantity in the squad next year.

23 hours ago, Window Cleaner said:

Just a mini-season not worth worrying about. Scratch team most of the time because of injuries, other unavailabilities and I suspect 

a bit of perfectly comprehensible cost cutting.

Batting was better in the T20 at Kent, Fuller again contributing well, but undone by one of the best young batsman I’ve ever seen, Zak Crawley. I was very taken with him even before the double hundred in the Test but looks a million dollars. Alsop, Weatherley etc need to look at his concentration. Has the shots to go with the technique, will go far.

• 1 month later...

So sorry to learn of the passing of Alan Rayment who played for the county for a number of years in the early `50s.  He was 92 and passed away yesterday at his home in Barton on Sea.   He played 199 matches for Hampshire and although his `statistics` may be moderate compared to his more illustrious team mates at the time, he was a stylish and determined batsman, John Arlott describing him as "a fine cover fielder and a batsman of decorative stroke play."  Yet another boyhood hero from the Northlands Road days.