Relegation 19/20 season thread

SKD

I suppose as it's a very real possibility, relegation is worth at least speculating about. Unfortunately I don't think it ends well for us with instant promotion either, as there will be a clearing out of the playing department at the end of the season. There will be a mix of lower to mid-table Prem teams signing our better players, the usual in-contract players loaned out because they earn too much, out of contract players, and then one or two I'm not sure what will happen with.

Out of contract: Yoshida, Cedric, Danso (end of loan, would he be signed up for the right price, would be a good CB signing for the Championship), Long, Lewis (May stay if we lose McCarthy or Gunn get signed up), Rose.

Loaned out or sold to get rid of their wages: Lemina, Forster, Hoedt, Carillo, Elyounoussi.

Possibly signed up by Premier League teams wanting what little gems we have: Bertrand, Djenepo, Redmond, Boufal, Gunn or McCarthy (I think one will be sold by someone looking for a keeper. McCarthy could be seen as a solid understudy to someone, or someone may see the promise in Gunn that we apparently saw. I think it's more likely McCarthy will go and we will keep Gunn as I doubt someone would pay what we paid for him. I'd be very surprised if we kept both. But if we did then Lewis would be released at the end of his contract.) I also think JWP would be quite sought after.

That would leave a senior squad looking like:

GK

Gunn (or McCarthy)

Lewis

RB

Valery

Ramsay

LB

McQueen

Vokins

CB

Bednarek

Vestergaard

Stephens

Jones

DM

Romeu (though I'm torn whether someone would come in for him or not. I'd like to see us keep him.)

Reed

CM

Hojbjerg (again could he be signed up?)

Slattery

Smallbone

AM

Armstrong

Sims

Johnson

Hesketh

Str

Adams

Ings

Obafemi

N'Lundulu

With a few promoted youngsters maybe like Jankewitz, Klarer, et al.

Ok this is a real "worst case scenario" squad, and more and more relegated sides are able to keep a lot of their squad together and at least charge high prices for them, but we would definitely need a few clever signings to pad out the squad. or we could end up with a team that looks like:

Gunn

Valery

Bednarek

Vestergaard

McQueen

Hojbjerg

Romeu

Armstrong

Sims

Ings

Adams.

Norwich look doomed, so it is them, us & the one other could be Burnley or West Ham which may sound ridiculous to some but Hammers are likely to panic and sack Pellegrini soon and get themselves into an even deeper mess while Burnley surely cannot go on relying on ageing players playing physical football and winning ugly to get them by. Dyche has been riding his luck for some time and bringing back players like Rodrigues only adds to the feeling that their time is coming to an end. How old are Barnes & Cork?

I would put Bournemouth in the mix as well they are looking more stale and predictable by the match; Howe is increasingly blaming others for their poor performances.

Opening words are a bit misguided. It won't be the club's choice. We will struggle to sell players unless we are almost giving them away. We will have to wait until contracts expire, so that is where to look first. Who will be out of contract at the end of this season? They will go first. After that, who do we put a price tag on? Not easy to sell relegated players.

• 1 month later...