Saints 1-2 Everton - Reaction

Lighthouse

Until January it is what it is. So where do we go from here. IMO break it all down to basics so start from scratch. Firstly identify those with character and a bit of pace. Macarthy in goal is easy. Bertrand at left back is a no brainer, Bednarak, Yoshida, Danso, Stephens, Vestergaard, two of them have got to play. Personally Valery at Right back. We need a holding midfielder not a Romeu all over the place type. Stephens maybe as he could be a defensive playmaker that can play balls over defenders out to the wings. Either Romeu or Hojbjerg could play in midfield with Armstrong. Up front three from Ings, Djenepo, Redmond, Boufal, Adams, Obafemi, Long. Maybe try Ings, Adams and Djenepo with Redmond and Boufal as alternatives.

I know it's clutching at straws but that gives me something like. Macarthy, Valery Bednarak Yoshida or Danso Bertrand, Stephens, Armstrong Hojbjerg or Romeu, Djenepo Adams Ings. Not ideal but a lot better than the bizarre selections lately. Danso could be an alternative to Stephens but I've not seen enough of him to form an opinion either way. Romeu isn't a holding midfielder he needs a partner because he roams around. That's not to say he couldn't discipline himself to hold. Any other suggestions. I hate what JWP does in slowing everything down. This team has to be aggressive, high tempo and get the ball up front quickly with runners from midfield getting into the box. I'd be interested in any better suggestions.

Clearly the first half was unacceptable. To face the fans who last witnessed a 9-0 and turn in a first half performance like tells you all you need to know about this group.

Played well for about 20 second half mins and that was it.

Central midfield is awful. OR has had a season too many and JWP is a fraud. Both are one paced (slow), both are too negative on the ball and both slow the game down too much. Shocking.

Ings, Stephens, Boufal did ok. The rest, forget it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We are still paying out £6m per annum to our past sacked managers (Hughes, Puel and Pelligrini) but I think there now should be a 4th to join that gravy train.

The players have no relationship with him. Who's fault is that? Well some would say the players but Hasenhuttl is not respected and not liked. They think he is arrogant and without Rohl there is no relationship or proper communication.

Quite frankly someone like Coleman could do no worse as things stand.

And there is no point slagging Gao, although he deserves it. He aint going nowhere.

How about the useless **** players all **** off instead eh?

Had enough of those bunch of ******s.

I went to the game with a glimmer of hope after last Saturday. That pretty much disappeared when I saw us line up: right back at left wing back, creative mid at right wing back and three Centre halves with not a clue between them. Stephens tbf was the only one who showed a bit of ability. Vestegaard another performance which makes you wonder how he is a pro player let alone getting a game in the premier league. Ralf has lost the plot, tactically and team selection??? Boufal a bright light after the break but no doubt will be on the bench again next game. Woeful, no plan, no energy and no bite. Next two at home without 6 points and we are gone and it’s not even December yet.

jump across to the contracts thread. Boy is it depressing reading. Not a single player that you think, ****, not long before he's out of contract, hope we can tie him down for longer...plenty that we are stuck with for years to come though.

How long has Ward-Prowse got left? Seriously - the malaise of this Club has no clearer marker than JWP playing every minute of every game this season!! And being given the Captain's armband yesterday was an insult to supporters. I've never seen such an overhyped player deliver so little for so long.

I don’t rate Jack Stephens in the slightest. Today he was one of our best players. That’s how fkin bad it was.

I too join the ranks of people hating this bunch of spineless, clueless excuses for footballers.

When you go into a game with JWP as one of your two central midfielders you know you are in the ****. Fraud of a footballer but he’s not alone in amongst this shower of ****e.

There was a very inclusive club meeting on Wednesday. Workers at the club have been promised complete overhaul of coaching set up, DOF in by next Match and signings in January. Jaidi has gone already.

I’m informed Jaidi has gone on secondment to coach in the USA, for 12 months.

Haven't quite given up yet as we've got some huge winnable (in theory) games coming up. Reckon if we pick up 8-10 points by year end we can still pull out of the mire. Obviously need to get going right now though.

Sack Ralph and we'll just spiral down faster IMO, whole club is rotten.

Took the opportunity to redecorate the spare bedroom. Having just seen the result, I’m glad I did. We’re going down.

That’s a bit selfish not putting a call out for help on here during last week, if you want to knock off the hall stairs and landing on the 30th pretty sure I can clear my diary to pitch in - feel free to PM me

:D

Bring back Puel. Seriously. The man got us to 8th in the league and it was largely the same players.

To be honest I am sure I feel like most fans... over it. Bored of this sh!t. Do I care if we stay up? I guess, but who wants more seasons of this. Sadly when we go down, I don’t see us coming back anytime soon. The club is rotten. Hard to believe what has happened since Koeman days.

Final thought was when England announced their u21 team this week not a saints player in sight. Remember when we used to fill those teams up... now nothing. Even the academy has turned to ****.

Grim.

Any goodwill I had this season has expired.

Stick your training pictures up your arse.

F*ck off with your sh*tty vlogs.

Do one with the snippets of interviews.

All we want are inspired performances. Players WANTING to play. Players in the right position. Players who have more than 4 shots AT HOME in a match. Some desire, some passion, some energy.

Any SFC reading this; quite frankly, get f**ked. I'm done with you lot.

Bring back Puel. Seriously. The man got us to 8th in the league and it was largely the same players.

To be honest I am sure I feel like most fans... over it. Bored of this sh!t. Do I care if we stay up? I guess, but who wants more seasons of this. Sadly when we go down, I don’t see us coming back anytime soon. The club is rotten. Hard to believe what has happened since Koeman days.

Final thought was when England announced their u21 team this week not a saints player in sight. Remember when we used to fill those teams up... now nothing. Even the academy has turned to ****.

Grim.

Puel? Don’t be ridiculous. His home games were worse than this season’s. He started this rot.

Even things like bringing Boufal back, getting him playing well and looking like a key player, and then stopping playing him. All the time we have JWP contributing very little every week.

This, Boufal should be given a chance. JWP offers little going forward or defensively and runs like he is carrying a bag of cement.

Our centre midfield is league 1 standard at best. Feel for JWP because hes clearly not made for the position, but Romeu who has played there all his career is done, and has been for about 18 months. Too slow, cant pass, gets caught in possession too easy, offers zero protection to the defence. Gets praise on here for the occasional tough tackling, but thats usually making up for being out of position in the first place. He is s**** and would rather we played one of the kids. Least we would get a bit of energy and a player who could cover more than a thirty yard circle in his own half

I'm not sure what's the most depressing:

Our freefall from a Euro qualifying team to this bunch

This bunch seemingly getting worse every week

This same bunch not even trying to make up for their woeful lack of quality by demonstrating any sort of passion and desire

Ralph's baffling team selections

Having to put my two lads through this every other week

Becoming numb to these results and performances now, can't see us surviving, hopefully getting relegated means we can rebuild a team that is entertaining to watch again. Before that happens reckon we should try the following against Arsenal:

------------McCarthy-----------

Cedric Danso Bednarak Bertrand

------------Stephens--------------

Djenepo-- Hoj-- Slattery-- Boufal

------------Redmond--------------

Can we please delete the dual account Skate C**t please!?

Hi Ohio!

That wasn't aimed at you btw - just have the bell end on ignore so can't quote.

In my opinion, the demise lies at Gao's door. Performances plummeted as soon as he was on the scene (pretty much after the Wembley Cup Final defeat). Leadership comes from the top and Gao has given us nothing - no direction, no funding, no strategy, no communication - time to protest, like we did pre-Marcus!

I will be there!

Then he left the ground before the end in his Porsche. Absolute scum.
Southampton don't want to extend his contract. Will be a free agent shortly. Why are you annoyed that he is saying will be leaving after being asked a question about his future?

What would you like him to do exactly?

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Puel? Don’t be ridiculous. His home games were worse than this season’s. He started this rot.

Don’t talk pony man. In our history only Lawrie & Koeman have finished above him in the league and only him, Lawrie & WGS have got us to a cup final. Whether you like it or not, with a Shiite side he was a pretty decent manager.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

For me time to be positive and decisive, and stick to a regular team:

Big Mac

Ced Stephens Danso Bertie

Reddy PEW Ori Jenny

Ings Adams

We're not going to survive by being cautious, so sh*t or bust. Any player that lacks effort or sulks (Bertie) is off straight away and replaced by a wiling young un

Southampton don't want to extend his contract. Will be a free agent shortly. Why are you annoyed that he is saying will be leaving after being asked a question about his future?

What would you like him to do exactly?

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Agreed. Also we (as in master chief in charge, Ralph - as he widely lauded at the time) effed him out on loan in favor of the new messiah (Val) and would have sold him at a loss if there were any offers. He then comes back without any ego, works hard in preseason, and gets back in the camp, only to be f'ed around in different positions (and alluded to pulling a sicky in the Spuds game). Today by all accounts, he was ****ed off at being excuse for our performance when being played out of position with no cover. If that was me I would have punched Ralph and left for good!

4-1-4-1. Slattery a try instead of JWP. Xmas buy lots..

------------McCarthy-----------

Cedric Danso Yoshida Bertrand

------------Romeu-------------

Djenepo-- Hoj-- Slattery-- Boufal

------------Ings--------------

Agree with dropping jwp but he's the poster boy so he wont get dropped thats our problem. I dont like Romeu as a Dcm, he's just to slow and cant pass, i would be tempted, like someone has already stated, to try Stephens there. But yeah i like that, Djenepo and Boufal needs to be playing on the wings week in week out imo.

Our centre midfield is league 1 standard at best. Feel for JWP because hes clearly not made for the position, but Romeu who has played there all his career is done, and has been for about 18 months. Too slow, cant pass, gets caught in possession too easy, offers zero protection to the defence. Gets praise on here for the occasional tough tackling, but thats usually making up for being out of position in the first place. He is s**** and would rather we played one of the kids. Least we would get a bit of energy and a player who could cover more than a thirty yard circle in his own half

I still can’t believe we offloaded Reed and Lemina without adding anyone in CM. Complete negligence.

Don’t talk pony man. In our history only Lawrie & Koeman have finished above him in the league and only him, Lawrie & WGS have got us to a cup final. Whether you like it or not, with a Shiite side he was a pretty decent manager.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Chris Nicholl got us 7th in 1990.

Until January it is what it is. So where do we go from here. IMO break it all down to basics so start from scratch. Firstly identify those with character and a bit of pace. Macarthy in goal is easy. Bertrand at left back is a no brainer, Bednarak, Yoshida, Danso, Stephens, Vestergaard, two of them have got to play. Personally Valery at Right back. We need a holding midfielder not a Romeu all over the place type. Stephens maybe as he could be a defensive playmaker that can play balls over defenders out to the wings. Either Romeu or Hojbjerg could play in midfield with Armstrong. Up front three from Ings, Djenepo, Redmond, Boufal, Adams, Obafemi, Long. Maybe try Ings, Adams and Djenepo with Redmond and Boufal as alternatives.

I know it's clutching at straws but that gives me something like. Macarthy, Valery Bednarak Yoshida or Danso Bertrand, Stephens, Armstrong Hojbjerg or Romeu, Djenepo Adams Ings. Not ideal but a lot better than the bizarre selections lately. Danso could be an alternative to Stephens but I've not seen enough of him to form an opinion either way. Romeu isn't a holding midfielder he needs a partner because he roams around. That's not to say he couldn't discipline himself to hold. Any other suggestions. I hate what JWP does in slowing everything down. This team has to be aggressive, high tempo and get the ball up front quickly with runners from midfield getting into the box. I'd be interested in any better suggestions.

Agree with this. Good post fancy a job?

How long has Ward-Prowse got left? Seriously - the malaise of this Club has no clearer marker than JWP playing every minute of every game this season!! And being given the Captain's armband yesterday was an insult to supporters. I've never seen such an overhyped player deliver so little for so long.

Boggles me too mate. Midfield is so poor with him in it.

Sheffield United are currently 5th. Something to think about.

Wow yes didnt see that at this stage of the season..........i think their mentality is one of lets be strong and battle for the team. They dont seem to have any thing different to the model of squad they had in the championship.

I remember when we got promoted we just tinkered about abit but it wasnt until i think the following season we started to try and establish bigger named players.

I still think Les Reid and the other idiots we had, that were on a good whack on the gravey train got lucky early on with Koeman ,but thereafter its all gone terribly wrong throughout the whole of the club and not just players.

Uncle Les as some call him was and should have been accountable for over seeing the bigger picture of whats in the future and not offered such ludicrous contracts just to make a splash headline for himself and

unwanted claims that were doing it the Southampton way. What way? .What we are left with now is the legacy of inept miss management and lack of ambition ,and HEART. Theres no more passion or atmosphere

at St Marys on home games anymore .Theres nothing inspiring to want the fans to cheer about.Dreary side to side pass back, side to side pass back side to side

oppps been intercepted tackle panic foul hoof ball.

Its just dreeadful to contemplate right now and there seems very little in the way of getting excited by or about,sad really, still angry and passionate but ,maybe its an age thing im 59 been a Saints fan since my uncles took me to home games

from Basingstoke in the 60s ,cried when we got relegated alongside Manchester United and cried again when we won the cup in 76.Been through tough times supporting the Saints but im now finding myself numb to these sort of results ,not sure what

season ticket holders must be thinking. Whats the solution?....is there one? or are we just going through the inevitable this season?.........rant over,seems Chelsea do have some talented players who can be trusted afterall good to see,where are ours?

Decline started with him for sure. Dropped 20 points, 30 goal GD swing and players morale and confidence murdered

Celebrating 8th when you finished 6th the season before is laughable.

Would be like the next Man city manager being celebrated for finishing 3rd or 4th.

he certainly doesn't seem to have the answer, but does anyone? I don't see a top class keeper, or any CB or CM at the club good enough. There is a little bit of flair out wide, but the strikers are not top class. The youth players around the first team squad don't improve us. We could be doing better, but this side is not strong.

It would have to be an old dog of war, like Sam. If someone could just put the best players in their correct positions and get everyone putting in the same shift as Danny Ings we would have to improve wouldn’t we? I would rather see an u23 putting in a shift than JWP avoiding play for 90 minutes.

I still can’t believe we offloaded Reed and Lemina without adding anyone in CM. Complete negligence.

Throw selling Targett without a replacement. Of course, the cheerleaders here/those telling you to stop worrying about the window, will tell you that Vokins and Slattery were/are more than good enough to come in

Throw selling Targett without a replacement. Of course, the cheerleaders here/those telling you to stop worrying about the window, will tell you that Vokins and Slattery were/are more than good enough to come in

Careful. They get a little precious and hysterical when you remind them.

Stop giving us all this "told you so" crap will you. Come up with some serious suggestions of how to get out of this mess or sod off. I for one am sick of your preaching!

If stupid people don't won't to be reminded on their stupidity then they should stop being stupid. Simples

Too many on here like to give it, but can't take it.

They were wrong and occasionally people should remind them.

If stupid people don't won't to be reminded on their stupidity then they should stop being stupid. Simples

Too many on here like to give it, but can't take it.

They were wrong and occasionally people should remind them.

Looks like Robbie Savage was right......

Unlike those here who predicted we will finish top 8 or top 10 this season..madness

Went yesterday, yes Saints are as bad as feared. First half was poor all round , they scored after 2 unchallenged headers in our box from corner. We needed a right and left back and someone to get the ball forward from our half !

Walcott must have thought it was a training session it was so easy to go round our ‘defence’ . Second half a bit of a rally and hope with the equaliser but undone by defensive frailty , Djenepo failed to get near their man with the ball and Richardson finished well unhindered . What to do ? Back 4 with recognised full backs , a midfielder who can move the ball FORWARD and better attacking ideas , it’s no good putting through balls to Ings he hasn’t got the pace !