Signings from abroad

SNSUN

I was scrolling back through the Saints seasons on Wikipedia (12 hour Sunday shift) and looking at our transfers over the years since we've been back in the Premier League and it's amazing how many misses we've had since then signing players from abroad (purchase and loan). We definitely seem to have more luck buying from Britain. I was trying to put together a team of players that have failed with us (or been a disappointment after initial excitement) that we signed from abroad, for one reason or another, and came up with this:

Mouez Hassen (Signed as a back up but never played, a Puel legacy)

Jeremie Pied (Another Puel back up player, injured at an inopportune time and rarely played)-

Florin Gardos (Injured for most of his time here, not terrible but never first choice)

Wesley Hoedt (Error prone and cocky)

Cuco Martina (Great goal aside, he was pants.)

Jordy Clasie (A big disappointment, not built for the Prem.)

Saphir Taider (Disappeared before he'd even kicked a ball. Probably wise! :lol:)

Juanmi ( Another not built for the Premier League. Did well after leaving)

Filip Djuricic (Did very little in his loan spell despite decent young reputation)

Manny Mayuka (Another that did very little in his time here)

Guido Carillo (Probably the biggest WTF of them all. Cheers Pellegrino.)

subs: Forren (could be easily included in that line up), Caceres (A panic signing if ever there was one which speaks more about the people running the club than the player himself), Osvaldo (talented but a nutjob), Elia (that Newcastle game aside) and you can possibly add players like Elyounoussi, Ramirez, Gabbiadini and maybe even Vestergaard that have been disappointments, albeit with some good performances amongst them. Are there any I've forgotten about?

Now all signings are hit and miss but that seems a lot to me. I do appreciate we've also had a few successes too, but I'd be surprised if it were as many as the failures.

Does our scouting need to improve abroad? It seems a lot of those players were 'manager choices' too. Maybe we should just stick to the domestic market!

I guess for balance you'd have to think about foreign signings that were a success: Claus, Killer, Niemi, Pelle, Pahars, Fernandes, Anders, Fonte, Jaidi, Morgan, Wanyama, Boruc, Lovren, Virgil, Tadic, Alderweireld, Mane, Cedric

Plus those who did a job: Jos, Do Prado, Waigo, Yoshida, Long, Romeu, PEH

Then you have to also look at our crappy domestic signings:Austin, Fox, Forecast, Lee Holmes, Ryan Dickson, Pulis, Molyneux,

There are a few unfair comparisons in there, but we've not always done so badly out of buying from abroad and not always unearthed gems buying British.

I guess for balance you'd have to think about foreign signings that were a success: Claus, Killer, Niemi, Pelle, Pahars, Fernandes, Anders, Fonte, Jaidi, Morgan, Wanyama, Boruc, Lovren, Virgil, Tadic, Alderweireld, Mane, Cedric

Plus those who did a job: Jos, Do Prado, Waigo, Yoshida, Long, Romeu, PEH

Then you have to also look at our crappy domestic signings:Austin, Fox, Forecast, Lee Holmes, Ryan Dickson, Pulis, Molyneux,

There are a few unfair comparisons in there, but we've not always done so badly out of buying from abroad and not always unearthed gems buying British.

All those were pre-arriving back in the Prem, or back when we were in the Prem before. I was talking about our record of signings from abroad since we've been back in the Prem in 2012. Truly shocking. We had more luck with foreign-based signings in the Prem before we went down in 2005, and of course the few we signed in the lower leagues all mostly contributed to our promotions.

Additionally of the listed, Wanyama, Long, Boruc (sort of) and Virgil all came from British clubs too. Really that leaves the successful signings from abroad as Tadic, Pelle, Mane, Alderweireld, Lovren, and I suppose Cedric, and if you're being really generous, the likes of Yoshida and Hojbjerg too. That's a pretty low success rate.