Players wages in the Championship

spyinthesky

Would anyone know if players contracts include a reduction next season when we are in the Championship.

I heard from a good mate of Jack Stephens a year or so back when Saints were, once again, facing relegation that his contract allowed for a 50% reduction on relegation.

Even on an average £25k I reckon our wage bill would still be on the high side in the Championship

There's no quick return for us when we go down, we will be totally hampered.

Clubs in the Champ spend decent $$ nowadays, and the average wage down there is a lot higher than it used to be when we were there. We've been so badly managed that I doubt we'd be able to compete down there. So it will be a continuation of struggle I fully expect.

There’s no easy way out of this mess.

worst case scenario is we do a sunderland and end up in league 1 in two years, gao bolts after selling for a quarter of what he bought us for to the first bidder, and if we are lucky enough, it'll be a guy who cares and knows enough about us and football in general to help us climb back up again in afew years time. trying to be optimistic either way.

Not even sure how many of our players are good enough for the Championship and that would stay

A core of the below with some additional players (not sure how we'd fund them?)

Forster

Valery

Stephens

Bednarek

Vokins

Reed

JWP

Armstrong

Obafemi

Adams

Long

We'd still be f*cked defensively and financially though, unless we can flog Redmond for £30/40m which is highly unlikely.

Squad needs ripping up.

There is no appetite for PL football in the South of England and the recent rise and fall of clubs like Swindon, Reading & Portsmouth may have proved that PL football is unsustainable down here, their isn't the level of interest to sustain any momentum or to create larger stadia.

One suspects that these facts of life will soon overtake Bournemouth and Brighton as well as the centre of gravity once again shifts back to the midlands and the north west. Saints have the longest tradition of PL football down here but if even we cannot sustain it then what hope for the others.

Would anyone know if players contracts include a reduction next season when we are in the Championship.

I heard from a good mate of Jack Stephens a year or so back when Saints were, once again, facing relegation that his contract allowed for a 50% reduction on relegation.

Even on an average £25k I reckon our wage bill would still be on the high side in the Championship

If they don't, Les Reed and co need shooting. It should be standard practice for most clubs in the premier league. Only about 7-8 could consider themselves safe indefinitely.

You’d hope that most have relegation clauses in their contract... however, I don’t think it’ll matter, well still have too many average players on ridiculous wages.

Said it before, we will go bust under Gao.

Good. If we're going down then we need to start over.

There is no appetite for PL football in the South of England and the recent rise and fall of clubs like Swindon, Reading & Portsmouth may have proved that PL football is unsustainable down here, their isn't the level of interest to sustain any momentum or to create larger stadia.

One suspects that these facts of life will soon overtake Bournemouth and Brighton as well as the centre of gravity once again shifts back to the midlands and the north west. Saints have the longest tradition of PL football down here but if even we cannot sustain it then what hope for the others.

What’s this based on? It’s the owners getting us in the ****e not the fans. In good times you could add another 8000 seats at SMS and fill it pretty often. People are just fed up with the dire football last few years is all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What’s this based on? It’s the owners getting us in the ****e not the fans. In good times you could add another 8000 seats at SMS and fill it pretty often. People are just fed up with the dire football last few years is all.

From our own perspective I believe our crowds have kept up pretty well despite the very dire run of home results and performances.

Brighton are more or less sold out each week and so are Pompey.

Bournemouth could probably fill a 25-30k stadium at the moment so I dont think the appetite for football in this area is unsustainable.

Just need to ensure performances on the field are decent.