Rate our players. Good, competent or poor?

norwaysaint

Let's turn a complicated, variable situation into something far too over-simplified, just because this is the internet.

As barely an armchair fan, I find the match comments on here so variable in opinion from week to week, I don't know what's what anymore. (Is Romeu our only decent midfielder or is he a waste of space?)

Rate all or some of our players as simply good, competent or poor over-all. (as in a genuinely good player, a player who can do a reasonable job at this level, a player who just isn't good enough to play PL football)

Most of them have been good at some point in the past. Most of them are poor now.

Can't agree. Nearly all of the players who were actually good were sold. Most of our squad have never been much more than competent, which we started to see as good in comparison to the poor performances we got used to. Morgan and Wanyama were good, Romeu, PEH and JWP were surely never more than competent. Mane and Lambert were good, Long has never exceeded competent in his career, Lallana and Tadic were good, Redmond was competent for a while.

Thing is some are probably only struggling because they're in a poor side. I look at Redmond, Ings, Romeu, Hojbjerg, Bertrand, Cedric, McCarthy, and they're all been decent and probably are decent enough at this level, but right now they have such a poor defence, and players out of position, and tactically seem a bit all over the place, they are looking **** poor. And also some of them have downed tools, i.e. Cedric.

You stick Hojbjerg in alongside Wanyama in that Koeman side, and he'd look class, but too many borderline average players in the squad, and we're struggling massively.

Thing is some are probably only struggling because they're in a poor side. I look at Redmond, Ings, Romeu, Hojbjerg, Bertrand, Cedric, McCarthy, and they're all been decent and probably are decent enough at this level, but right now they have such a poor defence, and players out of position, and tactically seem a bit all over the place, they are looking **** poor. And also some of them have downed tools, i.e. Cedric.

You stick Hojbjerg in alongside Wanyama in that Koeman side, and he'd look class, but too many borderline average players in the squad, and we're struggling massively.

Agreed. There are clearly collective psychological problems, particularly around playing at home. Even players like Hoedt and Vestergaard might have turned out alright at other clubs.

McCarthy - Competent

Gunn - Sh*te

Cedric - Sh*te

Valery - Sh*te this season but don't want to dismiss him yet as he's still young. Will be 1st choice RB when we go down

Yoshida - Sh*te

Vestergaard - Sh*te

Stephens - Sh*te

Bednarek - A little bit less sh*te than the others but still sh*te

Danso - N/A, hasn't played in his actual position yet to be able to judge

Bertrand - Competent

Romeu - Competent

Hojbjerg - Competent

JWP - Competent

Armstrong - Sh*te

Djenepo - Good

Boufal - Good

Redmond - Good

Ings - Good

Adams - Not good enough for the Prem so sh*te I guess

Long - Sh*te

Obafemi - Sh*te

McCarthy - Competent

Gunn - Sh*te

Cedric - Sh*te

Valery - Sh*te this season but don't want to dismiss him yet as he's still young. Will be 1st choice RB when we go down

Yoshida - Sh*te

Vestergaard - Sh*te

Stephens - Sh*te

Bertrand - Competent

Romeu - Competent

Hojbjerg - Competent

JWP - Competent

Armstrong - Sh*te

Djenepo - Good

Boufal - Good

Redmond - Good

Ings - Good

Long - Sh*te

Obafemi - Sh*te

Excellent! This is the kind of simplicity I was looking for :)

Excellent thread, yet pointless :rolleyes: because you knew the reaction you would get so why bother?

It's all pointless. Not one of the threads on here matters or has a good reason for existing at all. Nobody ever changed their minds because of a political comment here. No team selection was ever affected by a thread here. We never bought a player because of the HCDAJFU threads. No player ever changed his game because of comments on here. Why do we bother writing anything here? It's a mildly interesting distraction sometimes, but it's all pointless.

McCarthy - Competent

Gunn - Sh*te

Cedric - Sh*te

Yoshida - Sh*te

Vestergaard - Sh*te

Stephens - Sh*te

Bertrand - Competent

Romeu - Competent

Hojbjerg - Competent

JWP - Competent

Armstrong - Sh*te

Djenepo - Good

Boufal - Good

Redmond - Good

Ings - Good

Long - Sh*te

Obafemi - Sh*te

Pretty much agree but I’d say Ings, Djenepo, Boufal and Redmond are probably competent rather than good at the moment. And probably say Hojbjerg and Romeu are pushing it a bit to be considered competent. Would any other Prem team take any of them?

Ings, Djenepo, Boufal, Sometimes Redmond Wouldn't care less if we sold the rest and rebuilt..... Can't we call up some of our younger players and give them a run out? like Slattery anyone else good with potential? what about that Robise lad....

Failing that sack Ralph bring in Fat Sam sign Giroud in Jan and play hoof ball least we will stay up focus on getting the ball into the target man...... boring way of doing things but needs must....

Pretty much agree but I’d say Ings' date=' Djenepo, Boufal and Redmond are probably competent rather than good at the moment. And probably say Hojbjerg and Romeu are pushing it a bit to be considered competent. Would any other Prem team take any of them?[/quote']

Yes

McCarthy - Competent

Gunn - Poor/Competent (inconsistent)

Cedric - Poor (as a defender)

Valery - Poor/Competent (inconsistent and better going forward than defending)

Yoshida - Poor/Competent (inconsistent)

Vestergaard -Poor/Competent (very inconsistent)

Stephens - Poor

Bednarek - Competent

Danso - the jury is out

Bertrand - Competent/Good (not played enough this season)

Romeu - Competent

Hojbjerg - Competent

JWP - Poor/Competent (doesn't contribute much beyond the excellent dead-ball skills)

Armstrong - Poor/Competent (inconsistent)

Djenepo - Good

Boufal - Good (but invariably tries one dribble too many and loses possession)

Redmond - Good (shows initiative and pace, but often runs into a dead end)

Ings - Good

Adams - Poor

Long - Poor (apart from his pace and work-ethic)

Obafemi - Poor

McCarthy - Competent and can be good.

Gunn - Sh*te has some potential, but might take a couple of years.

Cedric - Sh*te

Valery - Sh*te this season but don't want to dismiss him yet as he's still young. Will be 1st choice RB when we go down Agree

Yoshida - Sh*te

Vestergaard - Sh*te

Stephens - Sh*te

Bertrand - Competent - agree with the rest

Romeu - Competent

Hojbjerg - Competent - Shi3e te

JWP - Competent --- total garbage

Armstrong - Sh*te --- I would actually like to see him in his proper position for a few games.

Djenepo - Good

Boufal - Good

Redmond - Good ---- ok

Ings - Good --- ok

Adams - Not good enough for the Prem so sh*te I guess agree

Long - Sh*te

Obafemi - Sh*te

-- Agree with the final two.

McCarthy - Competent

Gunn - Sh*te

Cedric - Sh*te

Yoshida - Sh*te

Vestergaard - Sh*te

Stephens - Sh*te

Bertrand - Competent

Romeu - Competent

Hojbjerg - Competent

JWP - Competent

Armstrong - Sh*te

Djenepo - Good

Boufal - Good

Redmond - Good

Ings - Good

Long - Sh*te

Obafemi - Sh*te

my only change to this would be Redmond - Competent

Good - Djenepo, Boufal, Ings, Romeu

Competent - McCarthy, Bertrand, Hojberg, Redmond, Cedric, Bednerek

Poor - Gunn, Valery, Yoshida, Stephens, Vestergaard, JWP, Armstrong, Adams, Long

Havent seen enough of Danso or Obafemi really to judge them. And I’m being generous to one or two, especially on current form....yes you Redmond and PEH !!!

McCarthy - Competent would be better with a defense in front of him

Gunn - Poor after a good start, needs confidence back

Cedric - Poor (as a defender and an attacking fullback so many of his crosses are aimless

Valery - Ok good start has potential but positional awareness needs work too many last ditch tackles

Yoshida - Poor too slow and prone to errors and can not score from a free header from 5 yards

Vestergaard -Poor not strong enough in tackle/challenges

Stephens - Poor as a defender personally think he should be a DM as has shown he can pass

Bednarek - Competent

Danso - don't know not seen enough

Bertrand - Competent/Good (not played enough this season)

Romeu - Competent as a DM to break up the play, Poor moving the ball on neither scope of passing always takes easy option

Hojbjerg - Competent as a box to box Duracell bunny running around but poor at linking play and passing woeful

JWP - Poor at present has competent moments cant carry a player because he might score the odd free kick so actually overall poor

Armstrong - Poor but not really seen much of him in comparison to our other midfielders

Djenepo - Potentially good but again not seen enough yet

Boufal - Good (but invariably tries one dribble too many and loses possession)

Redmond - Good for second half of last season but this year very poor considering our game plan revolves around him (lack of goals/assists)

Ings - Good finisher and competent link up play

Adams - Poor so far but playing in this tam he has not really had too many chances - jury out for me

Long - Poor (apart from his pace and work-ethic)

Obafemi - Poor but has potential

This is the team that played the second leg of the League cup semi final, beating a very good Liverpool side, and keeping a clean sheet over 180 mins.

Forster

Cedric

Stephens

Yoshida

Bertrand

JWP ( Hojberg)

Romeu

Davis

Jay Rod ( Long)

Redmond

Tadic

Didn't Josh Sims make that marvellous run and assist for Long's goal late in the game?

This is the team that played the second leg of the League cup semi final, beating a very good Liverpool side, and keeping a clean sheet over 180 mins.

Forster

Cedric

Stephens

Yoshida

Bertrand

JWP ( Hojberg)

Romeu

Davis

Jay Rod ( Long)

Redmond

Tadic

For all the crticism of him from some of our fans, Forster kept a much higher percentage of clean sheets than any of our other keepers in recent years.

And , just to labour my point, for this particular and very successful fixture, 6 of the seven are current players.

I guess your point is these players are really good?

We were a the underdogs in a cup match, over two legs, which is a very different scenario to the grind of the league. For a one off game like this we could find dozens of games where the same players played like turd. This unique one off scenario doesn't really tell you much other than any set of players can raise their game against a better team in a cup game.

My view is that all current players are not competent at Prem level with the exception of McCarthy, Bertrand, Romeu (just) and Ings. The rest of them range from Championship level at best and below....such is the lack of investment over the last 3-4 years. You can get away with 2-3 Championship level players in the 1st team if they’re among Prem level players in the main. The club has been systematically robbed of talent and lately even the back room staff have been whittled down in numbers and quality. It’s looking dire.