New Skates Rivalry Documentry Coming Out

saintoaks

As expected then, it's 90% about Pompey fans. We'll get all the usual lies about mythical dock strikes, an interview with Westwood, how scary Fratton Park is etc. They'll probably leave out the last result altogether and just focus on footage of Pompey fans.

Beat me to it.

Is Fred Dinenage narrating?

As expected then, it's 90% about Pompey fans. We'll get all the usual lies about mythical dock strikes, an interview with Westwood, how scary Fratton Park is etc. They'll probably leave out the last result altogether and just focus on footage of Pompey fans.

This.

Spare me.

Recognise SFC fan Big Rob in that trailer, so hopefully it will be a balanced documentary instead of an interview with the bell with a bell.

That’s Phil Campion in the boxing ring as well I think, former SAS, he’s Saints. Will be a good watch if it’s a balanced view.

Yes, it is, in fact, the most one-sided derby in the country but I doubt the documentary will mention that. The only stat the TV commentators mentioned before we beat them 4-0 was how many years it had been since we'd beaten then as if it was something that had almost never happened whereas usually before derby games they refer at least once to how many games each team has won.

Anyway it's updated now: 20-9

https://www.soccerbase.com/teams/head_to_head.sd?team_id=2049&team2_id=2471

Lost me at ‘more warmer’

I stopped watching it after ten minutes of listening to Pompey fans telling us how tough and working class Portsmouth is and that it's The City of War because they were bombed in the Second World War and the English army left for the Agincourt from there (in fact they left from Southampton, which, like many other cities, was also bombed in the Second World War).

We also heard that 'mush' was unique Pompey slang and then had the sight of the interviewer drooling over the sight of some old chap's knuckles, which had actually hit peoples' teeth! He was so excited by this that he just went on and on asking questions about his knuckles. I won't bother to watch any more of it, as I'm sure we'll then get the interviewer drooling over more portsmyths about scum, dock strikes, how hard the 6.57 were etc etc.

If a so-called documentary gives credence to lies and falsehoods like that, it's really not worth giving it the time of day.

It was okay, much better than that biased McIntyre nonsense a few years ago. Good to see a few saints faces give a bit more balance, although of course it contained a lot of the usual stuff about what a tough, fighting town Pompey is. The thing that always amuses me is how Pompey always go on about saints never do anything against Pompey but then they always go on about what carnage it is when we play them, so they totally contradict themselves.

Thought it was alright. Gave both sets of fans equal time to talk about the rivalry and it didn't get hung up on the dock strikes, obviously we had the old Pompey fans saying it was true but equally it was dismissed by ours as being made up.

Some of the characters they interviewed from both sides made me laugh, and they clearly did a bit of research on the respective cities histories which was pretty well done.

I imagine that when they commissioned the documentary they envisaged a lot more bother around the ground between the fans which would obviously have led to more exciting footage. When there wasn't much they had to fill the time with other stuff.

Surprised they didn't make more of the policing operation which kept things quiet, fans from around the world watching probably wondered what all the fuss was about especially if they've watched their other episodes.

Why the obsession with both sets of fans to prove how working class they are?

It's a portsmyth thing. In the opening 10 minutes I heard that they were a 'northern city on the south coast' but then I also heard they were the 'East End of London on the south coast'. They seem desperate to have some sort of 'working class' credentials even though they are a tourist town which usually votes Tory, doesn't have much industry, apart from tourism, and has fewer socially deprived areas than their neighbours, Southampton. Most of their fans come from affluent areas in the suburbs and countryside anyway, including Jon Petersfield Westwood. Every Pompey fan seems desperate to appear 'hard' and 'working class' even though they aren't. Perhaps the fact they've lost nearly every fight they've ever been in explains their insecurity.

It's a portsmyth thing. In the opening 10 minutes I heard that they were a 'northern city on the south coast' but then I also heard they were the 'East End of London on the south coast'. They seem desperate to have some sort of 'working class' credentials even though they are a tourist town which usually votes Tory, doesn't have much industry, apart from tourism, and has fewer socially deprived areas than their neighbours, Southampton. Most of their fans come from affluent areas in the suburbs and countryside anyway, including Jon Petersfield Westwood. Every Pompey fan seems desperate to appear 'hard' and 'working class' even though they aren't. Perhaps the fact they've lost nearly every fight they've ever been in explains their insecurity.

Ok , but the Southampton fans on there are doing it as well. To be honest it's a 'thing' isn't it?. You get it in music. Bands always want to be perceived as 'working class'. It always used to get chucked at Joe Strummer in The Clash that he was 'Middle Class' sort of a stick to beat him with. I don't know if it's just a British phenomenon? I'm middle class, & even i've find myself at times scrabbling around to try and find some 'working class' credentials. It just intrigues me more than anything. Is there any area of sport or the arts where people would proudly claim to be middle class? It's just not something i've ever heard. I actually really enjoyed that documentary BTW, but it was just something that sort of bugged me from Southampton & Pompey fans alike.

Ok , but the Southampton fans on there are doing it as well. To be honest it's a 'thing' isn't it?. You get it in music. Bands always want to be perceived as 'working class'. It always used to get chucked at Joe Strummer in The Clash that he was 'Middle Class' sort of a stick to beat him with. I don't know if it's just a British phenomenon? I'm middle class, & even i've find myself at times scrabbling around to try and find some 'working class' credentials. It just intrigues me more than anything. Is there any area of sport or the arts where people would proudly claim to be middle class? It's just not something i've ever heard. I actually really enjoyed that documentary BTW, but it was just something that sort of bugged me from Southampton & Pompey fans alike.

I stopped watching after the first ten minutes, which was all footage of Pompey fans talking about how tough and working class they were. I didn't know there was some balance later, with Saints fans doing the same thing.

As for sports where people want middle class credentials, there are many: rowing, badminton, show jumping, tennis etc.

I stopped watching after the first ten minutes, which was all footage of Pompey fans talking about how tough and working class they were. I didn't know there was some balance later, with Saints fans doing the same thing.

As for sports where people want middle class credentials, there are many: rowing, badminton, show jumping, tennis etc.

All you've done is name a load of **** sports. Maybe being 'Middle Class' does make you a ****. Oh for ****s sake. I'm screwed.

a 'northern city on the south coast'/'East End of London on the south coast'

They're so proud of their little island yet constantly pretend they're from somewhere else.

And they love to give the impression it's them that go to war for this nation - the Navy just happen to park their ships there, people from all over the country go to war from there.

portsmyth - fantasy island.

They're so proud of their little island yet constantly pretend they're from somewhere else.

And they love to give the impression it's them that go to war for this nation - the Navy just happen to park their ships there, people from all over the country go to war from there.

portsmyth - fantasy island.

Saying a place is tough is same as saying a sh1thole. Those toothless fckers couldn’t get in the navy.

They as a club don't really bother me that much anymore tbh. It's them. I can't watch **** like this anymore as the utter lies they spout gets me angry. The absolute worst thing about it, is nearly every dense dickhead on that ****hole island believes it.

So what it they believe the Portsmyths, the SCUM stuff doesn't stand up to any scrutiny. The pompey lad said it himself that you can choose what to believe, people like their world view to be buttressed by facts even fake ones. Portsmouth and Southampton are more working class then most places in the South and it's s a rivalry between two different manors and that is why it is less intense for us that didn't grow up there. The film might not tell you anything you didn't know but it was a good watch and nice to see us the focus of something.

So what it they believe the Portsmyths, the SCUM stuff doesn't stand up to any scrutiny. The pompey lad said it himself that you can choose what to believe, people like their world view to be buttressed by facts even fake ones. Portsmouth and Southampton are more working class then most places in the South and it's s a rivalry between two different manors and that is why it is less intense for us that didn't grow up there. The film might not tell you anything you didn't know but it was a good watch and nice to see us the focus of something.

After reading the glowing reviews on here, I decided to watch it to the end and we weren't. It was nearly all about how hard the film makers think Pompey fans. A Saints fan said, 'Pompey fans think they are hard' and the interviewer soon shut him up by replying, 'They are'. Quite frankly, apart from the fact we beat Pompey 4-0, which was almost edited completely out of the video, it was embarrassing.

They condensed the match down to a few seconds because we won it, which didn't suit their agenda, and even then only focussed on women and old men amongst the Saints fans.