Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Arsenal vs. Saints - Build-Up

Default Arsenal vs. Saints - Build-Up

Should we bother?

Same old same old??

Blog Entries

A chance to get something but letís see if the players take the same approach as the Everton match or take the game to Arsenal.

Quote Originally Posted by Doctoroncall View Post
    A chance to get something but letís see if the players take the same approach as the Everton match or take the game to Arsenal.
    I think everyone's betting on the former!

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Arsenal are good going forwrd but pretty dodgy at the back. We can score against them, but OTOH I expect them to score against us.

Ideally, keep it tight and try and hit them on the counter, but we're not very good at containing teams so we might as well have a go.

Better chance here than home to Watford sadly. We're an average away side and appalling at home.

Arsenal are great at complacency, we can sneak a 1-1.

Pretty much the only thing going for us is it's pretty toxic at Arsenal right now. The longer we can frustrate them, the more the crowd will go after their players and manager. They've got a few young heads in there that could drop.

Realistically, though, a comfortable 3-0 home win.

Sent from my F3311 using Tapatalk

Go with that. Keep them contained. Go for a point or hopefully nick something on the break

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Dazza82 View Post
    Go with that. Keep them contained. Go for a point or hopefully nick something on the break
    A LB at LB, and a RB at RB? Are you mad?

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Munster View Post
    A LB at LB, and a RB at RB? Are you mad?
    Just call me old fashioned

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Djenepo

McCarthy____Vestergaard____Stephens____Bednarak___ _Gunn

Ward-Prouse________Romeu________Hojbjerg

Boufal______Ings

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by adriansfc View Post
    Better chance here than home to Watford sadly. We're an average away side and appalling at home.

Arsenal are great at complacency, we can sneak a 1-1.
    I hadn't realised Watford was on TV until I saw it on a pub's listings this afternoon.

Shudders at the thought of the inevitable home loss on TV looming

Arsenal away ... not a sodding chance! Their tippy tappy game will tie us up in knots and we'll give away an early pen, then it's downhill.
    Never mind I've got Newcastle and Villa away to look forward to

Quote Originally Posted by Morse View Post
    Djenepo

Boufal______Ings

Gunn is right footed, you might as well put Cedric there.

15. Default

Meh! It'll be all training pics and talk, we'll huff and puff for 15 minutes and after conceding we'll fold like a cheap suit. Arsenal are in need of a bit of rejuvenation and is if by magic, here we are, Southampton, the team that can cure all your ills...

16. Default

Arsenal are doing plenty of sideways passing like we are right now, and aren't dominating matches.

Whether we are good enough to take advantage of that, frustrate them and the crowd and nick a point remains to be seen.

Last time we played this lot, our season started.

Arsenal haven't won for the last 5 matches so here we are.....just in time for them to get back on track.

Can't see us getting anything based on what we have offered the last few games.

Quote Originally Posted by skintsaint View Post
    Arsenal haven't won for the last 5 matches so here we are.....just in time for them to get back on track.

Can't see us getting anything based on what we have offered the last few games.
    Spurs were there for the taking...... we bottled it.
    Everton were there for the taking.........we bottled it
    Liverpool were there for the taking.........we bottled it

We’ll get nothing but at least nobody will be surprised

Arsenal vs. SH - with Bednarek 3-1, without him 1-2.

Quote Originally Posted by Morse View Post
    Djenepo

Boufal______Ings
    Think if you swap Gunny with Ings the line up will be spot on as that gives a bit of target man height up front.

Quote Originally Posted by OttawaSaint View Post
    Meh! It'll be all training pics and talk, we'll huff and puff for 15 minutes and after conceding we'll fold like a cheap suit. Arsenal are in need of a bit of rejuvenation and is if by magic, here we are, Southampton, the team that can cure all your ills...
    lol..........bless ,but so true ....

Quote Originally Posted by Reinhard View Post
    His presence would stop us scoring a second?

Quote Originally Posted by adriansfc View Post
    His presence would stop us scoring a second?
    By delaying own attacks ...

4-0 or being optimistic 3-0.

SH? Also I have no idea whether those scores are per the fixture - i.e. Arsenal 3 - 1 Saints or in terms of Saints (i.e. the reverse!)

Quote Originally Posted by mrfahaji View Post
    SH? Also I have no idea whether those scores are per the fixture - i.e. Arsenal 3 - 1 Saints or in terms of Saints (i.e. the reverse!)
    Arsenal 3 - 1 SH (SH with Bednarek with his current non-qualitiy), Arsenal 1 - Southampten 2 (without Bednarek with his ...)

In German one writes the results in a different way.

Nothing in our recent history of team selection or playing style even remotely suggests that we will suddenly turn it all around and start playing well enough to beat anybody let alone the Gunners on their own patch. Their strikers will have a field day against our woefully hapless defence and I genuinely fear for a 6-0 thrashing.

4-1 Arsenal.

30. Default

Arsenal 3 - 1 SH (SH with Bednarek with his current non-qualitiy), Arsenal 1 - Southampten 2 (without Bednarek with his ...)

Who?

I'm only going as I live a 15 minute walk away and stupidly have some hope of getting something, as we are better away from home. I went to Arsenal V Palace a few weeks back and whilst they are a quiet bunch, they do get on the managers back quickly and what atmosphere that is there does turn sour rapidly and not one person seems to want Emery. They went 2-0 early on, but as soon as Palace got one goal, you could sense the next goal would go to Palace. Their defence is awful like ours, but their attack is much better. Hopefully they are still low on confidence and we are clinical.

Away pub still that Drayton Park pub?

The stats are on our side. We've never won a Premier League game at Arsenal. Surely, we are due a win now?

33. Default

That's not really how stats work

We will get comfortably beaten. Our season (re)starts the game after

35. Default

I think we'll be well beaten but we might just nick a cheeky disallowed by VAR goal to offer encouragement to all.

Donít play Gunn, Bednarek and JWP.

Play Djenepo, Boufal and Ings

3-1 to the Arse.

Nothing wrong with writing it that way round, it just wasn't that clear because people often put their own team's score first. And also I wasn't sure whether you were praising Bednarek or criticising him in the initial post...

Less of the 'SH' though please, no-one abbreviates to that unless they are starting to describe our performances!

Quote Originally Posted by Avenue_Saint View Post
    Don’t play Gunn, Bednarek and JWP.

Play Djenepo, Boufal and Ings

Playing Djenepo in goal and Boufal as center back is brave but i guess it can't be any worse than what we've got now.

Quote Originally Posted by mrfahaji View Post
    Nothing wrong with writing it that way round, it just wasn't that clear because people often put their own team's score first. And also I wasn't sure whether you were praising Bednarek or criticising him in the initial post...

Less of the 'SH' though please, no-one abbreviates to that unless they are starting to describe our performances!
    I see, thank you. No, I am not praising Bednarek; because of his last performances.

Won't choose that abbreviation anymore :-)

The charity that is Southampton will probably just keep on giving. Arsenal are in a slump and we'll no doubt help them recover. Spurs were hopeless and we couldn't even beat 10 men. I am going to the game and I will cheer my team on and be as positive as the players performance dictates. However, if Arsenal score first then all I can see is the usual capitulation.
    Its good to see a few on here giving Jack Stephens a confidence boost - he was by far our best defender against Everton, if not best player. At least he tries to play others in with his forward running rather than passing it square and backwards all the time. We have got to try and take the game to Arsenal. Another first half performance similar to Leicester and Everton will just invite defeat. Who knows what will happen if we give it a go but if I was a gambling man I wouldn't bet on Saints getting anything from this game.

No Joke - why not put Danso instead of JWP? Danso was an attacker originally, then a midfielder. Due to an abundace of young CBs in Austria he played as a midfielder against Hungary U21 on Tuesday, as a captain. Made the winning goal, was not without mistakes but was the Austrian key-player. Helped the defense and also attacked.

Full squad to choose from so no reason to play anyone out of position

44. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Bourne Valley Saint View Post
    if Arsenal score first then all I can see is the usual capitulation.
    We could be 3-0 up at half time and I'd forgive anyone for expecting our usual capitulation.

We will lose and Ralph's team selection will be baffling

Keep it simple flat back 4 play the players in correct positions.....

Two strikers up top and start Boufal and Djenepo....

I'd play:

GK - Mccarthy
    LB - Bertrand
    CB - Danso
    CB - Bednarek
    RB - Cedric

MC - Hojberg
    MC - Romeu
    LW - Djenpo
    RW - Redmond (Boufal perhaps)

FW - Ings
    FW - Adams

No Joke - why not put Danso instead of JWP? Danso was an attacker originally, then a midfielder. Due to an abundace of young CBs in Austria he played as a midfielder against Hungary U21 on Tuesday, as a captain. Made the winning goal, was not without mistakes but was the Austrian key-player. Helped the defense and also attacked.
    I have been saying this for some time, Reinhard!

Quote Originally Posted by jamesa View Post
    I'd play:

GK - Mccarthy
    LB - Bertrand
    CB - Danso
    CB - Bednarek
    RB - Cedric

MC - Hojberg
    MC - Romeu
    LW - Djenpo
    RW - Redmond (Boufal perhaps)

FW - Ings
    FW - Adams
    4-2-2-2 away at arsenal

Quote Originally Posted by saint97 View Post
    4-2-2-2 away at arsenal
    Yes, they can't defend and nor can we. Our best way to defend is to do so from the front. When we press, we are a much better defensive unit. The past two months have been way to passive and we have invited pressure onto our weak defence.