Arsenal vs. Saints - Build-Up

100%Red&White

I can’t see anything from this game, but at least we have a full squad available. The problem is the wrong players will end up playing, including that midfield trio that hinders us, and struggling to pick two centre backs of decent calibre, let alone 3. And we will play 3 centre backs.

It’ll probably be (352):

McCarthy

Stephens

Bednarek

Vestergaard

Cedric

Hojbjerg

Romeu

Ward-Prowse

Bertrand

Redmond

Ings

(Or include Yoshida for one of the others) which is a loss before we’ve even started. I’d like to see us have a go at them with pacy, attacking football. My team (4231):

McCarthy

Cedric

Yoshida

Vestergaard

Bertrand

Hojbjerg

Romeu

Djenepo

Boufal

Redmond

Ings

but I don’t think we will see Djenepo, Boufal and Redmond play together all season.

Either way it’ll be a loss tomorrow. I just hope we keep the score down.

Everyone expects 5 at the back tomorrow and can see why RH would do that.

Probably won't happen, but time we gave 4-2-3-1 a go IMO. Looks more balanced, although CM in any formation is a concern these days.

McCarthy

Valery Bednarek Danso Bertrand

Romeu JWP

Boufal Armstrong Djenepo

Ings

Bench:

Gunn

Cedric

Stephens

Hojberg

Redmond

Long

Adams

4-2-3-1 = Effectively 6 defenders. Stop slowing the bloody game down on the counter attacks so drop JWP.

McCarthy

Valery

Bednarek

Danso

Bertrand

Hoj

Romeu

Boufal

Redmond

Djenepo

Ings ©

That's a good looking side - I doubt Ralph has the clear thinking mind to drop Ward-Prowse; but we live in hope. I'd have Adams, Armstrong and Obafemi on the bench as attacking subs.

Totally random but obviously not worth starting a thread for so just posting here. I had a pretty awful dream last night that P*mpey were in the FA Cup Final against Leicester. Leicester missed a penalty on 29 minutes and then I stopped watching. Pretty sure them down the road won it :(

Happy Saturday, folks.

Let’s be honest, we’re not going to go with 4 attacking players at Arsenal away, maybe we will be Norwich at home, but they’ll kill us if we attack them at the Emirates.

The logic would be to play 352 with Romeu holding and Hojbjerg and JWP linking between the defence and Redmond / Ings.

2 pages for a build up thread, the Saints have really killed our enthusiasm.
To be honest, it's not just the thread, it's more forum-wide apathy. But you can't blame people for losing the love, it's not as if we've had a few bad results, it's the result of 3 seasons of mediocrity at best and pure crap at worst, mostly the latter.

Sent from my SM-T590 using Tapatalk

4-2-3-1 = Effectively 6 defenders. Stop slowing the bloody game down on the counter attacks so drop JWP.

McCarthy

Valery

Bednarek

Danso

Bertrand

Hoj

Romeu

Boufal

Redmond

Djenepo

Ings ©

I like the look of that line up - but I would guess Ralph won’t. Ralph is a nailed on 3-5-2 for this, which is more 5-3-2 for us...

RB - depends how badly Cedric P*ssed Ralph off against Everton - if he’s been forgiven Cedric will play.

JWP will play regardless of form - so change Boufal for JWP- Redmond is also undroppable so will play regardless.

Danso at CB - I would like to see it, but Ralph probably won’t so it’ll be Stephens.

Away at Arsenal he will play 3 CB’s anyway so add Vestergaard to that too, so remove Djenepo.

There, 5-3-2, includes the JWP/Redmond out of form but undroppables, and looks really unadventurous and dull. I’ll be amazed if it isn’t like this.

Ralph's demeanour at the press conference was very downbeat and he seems almost in despair of how to engineer a recovery from our current plight. It was almost like he was pleading with the hacks for ideas on what to do next. If he really has run out of ideas and hope then for sure we are in trouble. I don't recall in recent times a head coach so seemingly at loss to understand what has to be done to fix things.

Maybe he feels that they can't be fixed because the players at his disposal either do not have the guts for a fight or just haven't got it in them to concentrate for 90 minutes and leave everything on the pitch. Elite athletes that can use all their body's resources to maximum advantage and effect are not like most of us who don't have a clue about their body's potential or how to control it and extract the last ounce of brain and muscle power.

In most cases footballers are not elite athletes; yes, a few will be but most are just talented and not very bright kids and what they are being asked to do is probably beyond their understanding. It's one thing for a coach to demand this level of effort and concentration form their players but quite another for those players to understand and know how to do that.

I'm very doubtful about playing djenepo, Redmond and boufal all in the side. Yes they are all flair players, but they are all reasonably similar in that they all like to hold the ball for too long. If one of them was capable of quick incisive pass like Tadic then all 3 would make sense. But I just don't think it would work and they would all try to occupy a similar space.

It's an unpopular opinion and I under why, but I would push jwp higher up the pitch. His best form last season was when he was occupying space similar to Alli. He's generally played deeper this season so, given our scarcity of options, would want to see what he can do further up. I concede though that would be unpopular!

Sent from my CPH1835 using Tapatalk

I don’t know why either, we’re gash.

We are total gash.

I think maybe its because they are on a bad run and the natives are restless.

That could take pressure off us.

I am sure that feeling of optimism will change to dread once our team sheet is announced though.

Arsenal are beatable but we would need to be organised, attack minded & setup with players in the correct position, all things that look unlikely at the moment, Should we get nothing from this game where do we go from here?

With confidence at an all time low & seemingly no one really believing RH can turn it around, we are looking odds on to be in the relegation zone at xmas, the statistics of teams not going down who are in the relegation zone at Xmas isn't great to say the least. If we don't get investment in the January transfer our fate is sealed.

I know all the issues aren't solely RH's fault but he simply isn't performing to the level we require, our players are certainly average but I still believe they are capable of mid table if the very best performance is obtained from them

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

If they score first there will only be one outcome, we do not have the character or bottle to turn anything around once it starts to go pear shaped. We'll defend deep and try to keep them at bay and look to hit them on the break, unfortunately Arsenal are far too good for us, it's gonna be a home win.

Sent from my SM-T590 using Tapatalk