Arsenal vs. Saints - Build-Up

100%Red&White

Cheers for Adams, Ross. Fully fit squad and he’s nowhere to be seen.

Still don’t think Ross or recruitment should take all the flak here.. surely Ralph approved these deals but none of our three summer signings make the team today.. if you don’t think they are better then what we have why sign them..we are not really in a position to just pad the squad and are not gonna improve until we buy better then we have

So we're going with a CB pairing of Stephens and Bednarek, with JWP and PEH as their 'protection' in midfield. Arsenal may not be any great shakes at the moment, but they will cut through that like a knife through butter.

And our two most dangerous attackers get dropped to the bench. Again.

Is Ralph deliberately trying to get the sack?

Is that the weakest midfield Saints have fielded since our return to the Premier League? Meanwhile, it appears our best midfielders are on the bench. Hopefully, Ralph knows what he's doing.

It looks woeful on paper. Despite how bad we are, surely playing the best players available is an absolute must?

Well at least we have two actual fullbacks in the fullback postions....

It says so much about the squad though that what ever CB, in a two or a three, combination the manager puts out my reaction is " oh bollix"

Romeu being dropped is a bit WTF he is the only central midfielder in the squad that I rate the other three all make me go "oh bollix" when ever they appear on the team sheet.

I guess the new Shane Long won't play for long his first big sprint and he will limp off....

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

Why not Boufal or Djenepo over Obafemi? It just doesn’t make any sense, like most of what RH is doing at the moment.
Pace would be my guess. Obafemi is very rapid... sadly it's paired with Shane Long like ball control and shooting ability.

Obafemi won't last the game anyway usually after one breakneck speed sprint he pulls up with a hamstring injury.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

Oh dear this could be another embarrassing afternoon. I predicted 4-0 initially and I see no reason to change that, although I would not be surprised if it’s worse. Just don’t understand why a Ralph plays a defensive side at home and a defensively weak side away to one of the better attacking teams in the league. Quite baffling, other than to confirm that while he may have a fully fit squad, he also has few options selecting from a sub-standard group of senior players - basically it probably doesn’t matter who he picks...they are all equally incompetent.

Would love to know what all the armchair pundits on here think our formation and team should be?

Obafemi aside, who I assume is there purely for pace in transition, what better options do we have? Romeu is too slow to press and the bench is hardly packed with players deserving a start.

Personally I would have Yoshida, clearly our best central defender, over Stephens or Bednarek, and if we are going with four at the back then Romeu over Hojbjerg or JWP as they've both been awful all season. Then obviously Djenepo instead of Obafemi, if no other reason than to save us the inevitable substitution when Obafemi gets injured.

I understand Ralph's thinking to a degree - we're not scoring enough goals and Arsenal are terrible defensively - so Stephens and JWP play for set piece threat, JWP, Hojbjerg and Cedric play because he's obsessed with having players that can cover other positions, Armstrong plays because we needed to change something in the midfield. Obafemi is the only slightly strange one but must be there for pace against their slow defence.