Poch sacked by Spurs

Maggie May

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA

So, somebody with a finger on the pulse of statistics, please tell me his trophy count ????

Good manager for us, good manager for Spurs, but not a great manager if you can't win SOMETHING.

He needed to respect the League Cup or FA Cup and land one of those for Spurs - arguably could have done it with us, or at least got us further than he did.

We would have him back in a heartbeat.....but that is as likely as me getting the job.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA

So, somebody with a finger on the pulse of statistics, please tell me his trophy count ????

Good manager for us, good manager for Spurs, but not a great manager if you can't win SOMETHING.

He needed to respect the League Cup or FA Cup and land one of those for Spurs - arguably could have done it with us, or at least got us further than he did.

We would have him back in a heartbeat.....but that is as likely as me getting the job.

I would argue pochettino is light years ahead of Redknapp and Martinez. Who both won trophies

I agree. A trophy doesn't make a great manager' date=' but I don't think a manager could be considered great without winning something?[/quote']

Yes, he can.

Stephen Gerrard never won the Premier League but you would put him amongst the league’s greatest players. Especially when you consider people like Eric Djemba Djemba and Jeremy Aliadieré do have a winners medal.

Yes, he can.

Stephen Gerrard never won the Premier League but you would put him amongst the league’s greatest players. Especially when you consider people like Eric Djemba Djemba and Jeremy Aliadieré do have a winners medal.

But you've swapped the manager greatness for a player greatness?

Plenty of great footballers have won nothing.

Name a great manager who has won nothing? (and don't be lazy and throw Pochettino back at me)

:-)

But you've swapped the manager greatness for a player greatness?

Plenty of great footballers have won nothing.

Name a great manager who has won nothing? (and don't be lazy and throw Pochettino back at me)

:-)

Why is that different though? Poch’s team is only as good as the resources he has available and I’d say he has got the absolute maximum out of that squad. I have no doubt he’d have won the league comfortably with those early 00s United and Arsenal squads, later 00s Chelsea or modern day City.

I’m trying to think of other managers. Sir Bobby never won anything at the Toon and they built a statue of him, probably a reasonable shout.

Why is that different though? Poch’s team is only as good as the resources he has available and I’d say he has got the absolute maximum out of that squad. I have no doubt he’d have won the league comfortably with those early 00s United and Arsenal squads, later 00s Chelsea or modern day City.

I’m trying to think of other managers. Sir Bobby never won anything at the Toon and they built a statue of him, probably a reasonable shout.

Sir Bobby won the European Cup with Ipswich. He was a great manager.

Won nothing with Newcastle, but he had the trophy already in his cabinet.

Changing the subject from my debates about greatness......

Weren't we talking of a DoF appointment between the international fixtures, probably due to someone working their notice period with current employer?

Former Saint, but not a player.....

It couldn't be, could it?

Lol

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA

He’s no Alex McLeish, is he pal?

Sir Bobby won the European Cup with Ipswich. He was a great manager.

Won nothing with Newcastle, but he had the trophy already in his cabinet.

I know that, I was referring specifically to his time at Newcastle. About five years, same as Poch. Didn’t win anything but got them playing some brilliant stuff and CL regulars.

Anyway, all down to opinions. Personally I’d call him a great manager, trophy or not.

He’s no Alex McLeish, is he pal?

Nope. Don't get wrong, I really enjoyed the football under Poch. I was miffed when he inevitably left to join a bigger outfit. I have also enjoyed the brand of football that Spurs have played, with what little I have seen of them on European tv games / MOTD highlights.

But the football world lauds him as a managerial general, and yet he has no trophies to his name.

As you have pointed out, Alex McLeish has won trophies, including a League Cup win with Birmingham. Of course, this does not make him a better manager than Poch.

My point was, and is, I don't think Poch can be considered great without winning something.

Nope. Don't get wrong, I really enjoyed the football under Poch. I was miffed when he inevitably left to join a bigger outfit. I have also enjoyed the brand of football that Spurs have played, with what little I have seen of them on European tv games / MOTD highlights.

But the football world lauds him as a managerial general, and yet he has no trophies to his name.

As you have pointed out, Alex McLeish has won trophies, including a League Cup win with Birmingham. Of course, this does not make him a better manager than Poch.

My point was, and is, I don't think Poch can be considered great without winning something.

His career ain't over yet.

I'd presume with it being done during an international break that they might have someone lined up, otherwise why do it now and not after the recent poor results?

Still think it's crazy, so they may end up having a poor transition season, but he's clearly got them punching above their weight for ages and I couldn't see an exodus of players just because of one poor season, beyond the ones already lined up to leave (Erikkson, Toby, and Rose).

I am pretty sure West Ham and Everton have consistently out spent them the last 2-3 years but he has delivered top 4 consistently and good cup runs (which are always a bit of a lottery)

Would love him back but can see him at another forward thinking club that are more project based, maybe like a Dortmund

Utter madness, mind you it's not unlike when Cortese sacked Adkins really.

I can't see the next Spurs manager getting in the top 4 never mind a CL final.

I think in the long run Levy will regret sacking Poch.

I can see the same decline happening to Liverpool and Man City when Klopp and Pep go.