Poch sacked by Spurs

Maggie May

Utter madness, mind you it's not unlike when Cortese sacked Adkins really.

I can't see the next Spurs manager getting in the top 4 never mind a CL final.

I think in the long run Levy will regret sacking Poch.

I can see the same decline happening to Liverpool and Man City when Klopp and Pep go.

I can.

Let's be honest, Pochettino is a very good manager, he's been there 5 years and done well without winning anything. However it's now a downward spiral for them as they're stale, a new top class manager will have them challenging again ... until 3 years later when it's a downward spiral.

Pochettino will do well at (for example) Man Utd.

Bizarre sacking. Made a CL final last season...

Spurs struggling this season is down to player unrest with wanting more money which Levy won't give. The new contracts stopped this season after year on year renewals for most of the top players.

Poch is the scapegoat. Player greed and chairman purse string tightening is the issue.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Get Mourinho and win a trophy I'd imagine.

Poch is a really good manager, but couldn't see him turning it round there. Just gone stale but no doubt he built a great side.

Needs refreshing now. He'll end up at Madrid or United or PSG next season.

You give him too much credit. Mitchell and the Spurs scouts brought in great talent at bargain prices, not to mention world class players like Kane through the youth (who Poch only played due to injuries to others).

Despite Spurs not overspending like West Ham, etc. Poch had the luxury of a squad filled with brilliant players from front to back. Despite that in five years he won **** all. A good manager, no more. Vastly overrated by many here.

Mind you, bringing in the "special one" will only end in tears (for Spurs, not Jose who'll probably get another nice payoff when he's sacked).

You give him too much credit. Mitchell and the Spurs scouts brought in great talent at bargain prices, not to mention world class players like Kane through the youth (who Poch only played due to injuries to others).

Despite Spurs not overspending like West Ham, etc. Poch had the luxury of a squad filled with brilliant players from front to back. Despite that in five years he won **** all. A good manager, no more. Vastly overrated by many here.

Mind you, bringing in the "special one" will only end in tears (for Spurs, not Jose who'll probably get another nice payoff when he's sacked).

Utterly perverse assessment.

Pochettino clearly has a talent for building great teams. Spurs have not become a top 4 regular as an unrelated incident that Pochettino has benefited from, Poch has himself turned them into a top 4 side. He developed and supported these "world class" young players you speak of.

And lord knows they can go back to where they came from pretty easily. If Man U can miss the CL a couple of seasons in a row then Tottenham bloody Hotspur can quite easily.

Such a shame we've gone to **** as there are European places up for grabs this season!

There are every season...

I'm quite gobsmacked he's gone there tbh because of how much Mourinho loves his big money transfers and how stingy Levy is known to be. I'd have honestly put him at Everton or West Ham before Spurs, somewhere they have no problem spunking money away.

Still, I don't dislike Spurs, Poch or Mourinho so hope it works out for all three parties. I'd LOVE Poch to come back but I'd also love an unlimited amount of money in my bank account.

They're not mucking about, Jose announced.

I know people like to see Clubs acting quickly but surely the Spurs fans deserve a few days of idle gossip/speculation/earlobe analysis/ITK bullsh itters.

I reckon there will be at least one Spurs fan who boarded a plane at Heathrow last night and who is now checking their phone for the first time at immigration in Singapore or Los Angeles and thinking what the fu ck.

I guess Levy's gamble is that they desperately need Champions League to pay off the stadium etc and Mourinho is a better bet than Poch. Wages will still be a problem with their divas. To be fair to Jose, he normally does fairly well for two years

MP will be laughing, he's wanted to leave for ages and has finally got his pay off. He clearly has ambitions to go to the top, and Spurs are just another stepping stone for him. His lack of interest in domestic cups seems to have cost him, but then we all remember that Sunderland game in the FA Cup

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

I guess Levy's gamble is that they desperately need Champions League to pay off the stadium etc and Mourinho is a better bet than Poch. Wages will still be a problem with their divas. To be fair to Jose, he normally does fairly well for two years

Well I'm laughing out loud at Levy - Mourinho's a busted flush as a Manager; I think the game has passed him by. After all this is the man who got rid of Lukaku and Pogba.....and then paid squillions to get them back. He also strikes me as a nasty, egotistical type......just look at his media interviews and his role in the sacking of the Chelsea Doctor/Physio......the guy is close to being unhinged.

I reckon he will rock as ManU manager. In other words Spurs and ManU will simply have swopped managers.....

I remember when he got sacked by Chelsea, not long after we won at Stamford Bridge. When interviewed about the match he insisted the ref. had cost them the game by not giving a penalty (which replays later showed was dubious at best). When asked about two more blatant penalties not given to Saints he just said, "I'm not going to talk about that" and stormed off.

He comes across as a delusional narcissist and I can't see him as anything other than a massive downgrade on Poch.

You can’t really argue with Mourinho’s record and having seen him on sky a lot recently his knowledge and assessment is spot on, he’s arrogant yes but knows what he is doing.

Just read something that 15 of the last 30 England debutants have played under Poch, his development and improvement of players had been amazing, which is why I can’t see him going to a truly massive club like Real or Bayern as they demand instant results not a slow build project

I can't see Jose working well at Spurs. He likes to spend money and Levy is tight as you like. Jose likes experienced players and that is not Spurs model. Spurs fans like to play "beautiful football" and Jose's style is outdated and certainly not pretty.

Anyway, I couldn't give a damn about Spurs and hope it does go wrong. Can't stand Levy since the Hoddle incident.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA

So, somebody with a finger on the pulse of statistics, please tell me his trophy count ????

Good manager for us, good manager for Spurs, but not a great manager if you can't win SOMETHING.

He needed to respect the League Cup or FA Cup and land one of those for Spurs - arguably could have done it with us, or at least got us further than he did.

We would have him back in a heartbeat.....but that is as likely as me getting the job.

my thoughts as well

I am not privy to Pochettino's contractural arrangements with Spurs but can imagine that he has served his 5 years and Spurs have decided not to renew his contract but to go in a different direction. It is probably by mutual understanding as Pochettino knows full well that he probably cannot squeeze any more juice from his current crop of lemons.

In fairness to Spurs Pochettino has made no secret of his desire to move on when he gets the right offer from a top club. Any fair minded observer would acknowledge that the playing system he uses whilst attractive to watch has become a wee bit too predictable and stale and the sheen has certainly worn off one or two players who one thought of as almost irreplaceable like Dele Alli.

I guess Harry Kane will move on now.

Jose (Marmite) Mourinho's is a great appointment. He is an anglophile, loves living in London and is a big personality. I love him and much prefer his tongue-in-cheek 'special one' mantra. Compared to the arrogance of the self styled greatest managers on the planet entitlement of Klopp & Guardiola, Jose is a breath of fresh air.

Of course it won't work but the ride will be fun whilst it lasts.

They have gone backwards in the last 10 or so months, without question. Some of their fans were questioning if he'd started to lose his way, but I just think the squad had gone a bit stale and needed a bigger refresh - which Levy hasn't really been prepared to do, I mean they went one season without making a single signing to freshen the place up.

If you think about it, Poch did a great job there last year. No investement in players, but still a Top 4 finish and a CL final!! Punching well above their station. This season is probably just a reaction to that, and now he gets the chop.

Poch will get another big job soon I'd imagine. It won't be here though, as he deserves to be somewhere where he will actually be backed. Just like Ralph deserves the same.

I am not privy to Pochettino's contractural arrangements with Spurs but can imagine that he has served his 5 years and Spurs have decided not to renew his contract but to go in a different direction. It is probably by mutual understanding as Pochettino knows full well that he probably cannot squeeze any more juice from his current crop of lemons.

In fairness to Spurs Pochettino has made no secret of his desire to move on when he gets the right offer from a top club. Any fair minded observer would acknowledge that the playing system he uses whilst attractive to watch has become a wee bit too predictable and stale and the sheen has certainly worn off one or two players who one thought of as almost irreplaceable like Dele Alli.

Jose (Marmite) Mourinho's is a great appointment. He is an anglophile, loves living in London and is a big personality. I love him and much prefer his tongue-in-cheek 'special one' mantra. Compared to the arrogance of the self styled greatest managers on the planet entitlement of Klopp & Guardiola, Jose is a breath of fresh air.

Tongue-in-cheek? I don’t think so. He is a dyed in the wool narcissist and the most arrogant of all of the current managers. I agree though it will be fun to see how his relationship pans out with Levy, the players and the Spurs fans.

But you've swapped the manager greatness for a player greatness?

Plenty of great footballers have won nothing.

Name a great manager who has won nothing? (and don't be lazy and throw Pochettino back at me)

:-)

Sir Bobby Robson,....Brendan Rodgers,....

He signed a new 5 year contract in May 2018 so still has 3 & 1/2 years to run ! No mention of mutual understanding so there will be an expensive pay-off for him and his staff !

Ive seen estimates of 15 - 20 million being bandied about !!

something is wrong at spurs clearly - if im the owner and the manager keeps making it clear he thinks hes taken the squad as far as he can then its the right time to get rid as the manger not being a driving force is toxic - maybe its not a mad as it at first seems. Great manager maybe not but clearly a very very good manager and deserves a crack at a job at the top level in terms of club and resources - love to se him turn from very good to great in the eyes o the masses.

I hate mourinho, find him toxic, but can see why youd go there

People saying things like 'Bonkers, ridiculous decision, they must be mad'... Anyone remember the comments on here when Nigel got sacked? Can't remember who replaced him.

It's the bloke who just got sacked from Spurs and was already in contractual talks with Cortese whilst Nigel was still employed.

Nigel must be smiling now. What goes around comes around as Mrs. H always says.

I think Mourinho can be a bit of an idiot at times but I think some of the time, his supposed arrogance is just him playing with our media who let's face it can be pretty stupid at times. I would like to see him actually smile and basically just chill out a bit, let his players express themselves and I think he will be a success at Spurs. Especially if he tries to be diplomatic and non controversial when talking about his players as unfortunately, the power is with the players these days.

I really like Poch too and he will be fine as he is a quality manager as most honest Saints fans will acknowledge after the job he did with us.

People may think Jose is a dinosaur and maybe they think he is not as good a manager as Guardiola but for me, his CV is far more impressive. At least I have not seen Jose shouting in an opposition player's face like Guardiola did with Redmond - that is absolute arrogance of the highest order yet nobody seems to mention that yet they are quite happy to label Jose as arrogant!! Yes Guardiola plays good football but he has always had it easy - he has dominated in Spain at the top club in Spain with probably the biggest budget alongside Real Madrid.

Then he went to Bayern Munich and had success at the biggest and best club in Germany with the biggest budget before moving to Man City where he has again had success at the best club side in England with the biggest budget - spot the common theme here? Jose has won a Champions League at Porto and Inter Milan, none of whom were even the biggest and best clubs in their own league let alone in Europe. Until I see Guardiola manage and win trophies at a club where he doesn't have money to throw around in ridiculous amounts, his CV will never be as impressive as Mourinho's in my opinion.

As someone who absolutely loves Harry Kane, I think he is a class player and a class bloke - maybe he wants to stay at Spurs and become a club legend - who knows he may win something too but people should respect him if he wants to stay loyal and we remember how much we love Le Tiss for exactly the same thing. As we can all testify, there have been plenty of Saints players in the past who have left for supposedly bigger and better things and have ruined their careers.

As for us, I actually think Ralph is a really good manager but as I have said before, he has inherited a very average (I'm being kind) group of players and sadly, we have a board who it would appear are not willing to back him and get some better players in. I think Ralph looks a bit lost and has the weight of the world on his shoulders at the moment but he would do very well at a club like Spurs to be honest - unfortunately, he has a 9-0 home defeat on his CV so he may need a while to get his reputation back.

Ha ha, a win at Arsenal on Saturday would be a good start - not at all convinced that will happen though I do see this game as one to go all out attack as their weakness is clearly at the back.

You can’t really argue with Mourinho’s record and having seen him on sky a lot recently his knowledge and assessment is spot on, he’s arrogant yes but knows what he is doing.

Just read something that 15 of the last 30 England debutants have played under Poch, his development and improvement of players had been amazing, which is why I can’t see him going to a truly massive club like Real or Bayern as they demand instant results not a slow build project

That figure is boosted by the fact the you get called up for England once you have made your tenth appearance for Spurs, eg Dire , Winks, Caulker !

Get Mourinho and win a trophy I'd imagine.

Poch is a really good manager, but couldn't see him turning it round there. Just gone stale but no doubt he built a great side.

Needs refreshing now. He'll end up at Madrid or United or PSG next season.

Poch was running into the same problem at Spurs as Ralph has here, can't refresh without sales, and no one wants to buy what he wants rid of.

But how the Great One is the answer to that is beyond me.

It's the bloke who just got sacked from Spurs and was already in contractual talks with Cortese whilst Nigel was still employed.

Nigel must be smiling now. What goes around comes around as Mrs. H always says.

Was that the one who claimed he could not speak English and needed an interpreter at great expense?