Today’s other matches

East Kent Saint

West Ham are awful, yet could have nicked a draw. I forgot what is was like for a home team to actually have a go in the last ten minutes...

In all honesty, the standard of the league is poor outside the top 4. Everybody can beat each other on their day. For this reason, i refuse to believe we are as doomed as some would make out. Yes im struggling to pick three teams worse than us at present, but that might change after our next 5 games

In all honesty, the standard of the league is poor outside the top 4. Everybody can beat each other on their day. For this reason, i refuse to believe we are as doomed as some would make out. Yes im struggling to pick three teams worse than us at present, but that might change after our next 5 games

That's actually not true. The Premier League is easily the best league in the world. Because of the success of Real Madrid, Barcelona and Sevilla in European competition, La Liga challenged its dominance for a while but a mid-table Premier League team would beat a mid-table team from any other league in the world most of the time. What there is, is strength in depth, which is why Leicester will qualify for the Champions League again and Wolves and Burnley are currently in the top 6, and why everyone around the world sees the Premier League as not only the best quality but also the most entertaining.

People whinge when the top six is the same 2 years running and then they whinge when it isn't. The truth is the top six has constantly changed throughout the history of English football. there are 2 clubs that have dominated in recent decades: Man United and Liverpool. who are our equivalent of Spain's Real Madrid and Barcelona but, unlike their league, we have plenty of other champions, like Man City, Chelsea and Leicester. Get over it.

That's actually not true. The Premier League is easily the best league in the world. Because of the success of Real Madrid, Barcelona and Sevilla in European competition, La Liga challenged its dominance for a while but a mid-table Premier League team would beat a mid-table team from any other league in the world most of the time. What there is, is strength in depth, which is why Leicester will qualify for the Champions League again and Wolves and Burnley are currently in the top 6, and why everyone around the world sees the Premier League as not only the best quality but also the most entertaining.

Get off your PL high horse. Im not comparing it to other leagues, im simply stating that teams outside the top 4 have been very inconsistent this season. That is proven by the current 5th place team averaging less than 1.5 points per game

Get off your PL high horse. Im not comparing it to other leagues, im simply stating that teams outside the top 4 have been very inconsistent this season. That is proven by the current 5th place team averaging less than 1.5 points per game

It may seem unlikely now but there probably will be future seasons when mid-table teams like Man United will be able to compete with top 4 clubs like Leicester. Positions in the Premier League are constantly changing.

Doesn't that just give credit to the argument that the Premier League is quite competitive between all teams, rather than teams being inconsistent?

Doesn't that just give credit to the argument that the Premier League is quite competitive between all teams, rather than teams being inconsistent?

Yes. There is a reason why it's the most popular and most watched league in the world. It's not only highly competitive and exciting but every team in it gets an income of more than £100 million every year, which means they can buy many of the best players in the world. I don't remember many Saints fans whingeing about it when we finished 6th in 2016 and I don't think you'll find many Leicester, Sheffield United or Wolves fans whingeing about it now. The argument that a club like Saints can't hope to compete against the top six is just defeatism. We're having a bad season now but that can happen in the Championship too: ask Bolton and Sunderland fans.

The game where Saints looked most evenly matched against an opponent this season was Liverpool, where we deserved at least a point.

Quote Originally Posted by jawillwill View Post

No. It means that most teams are inconsistent because they're crap so that makes it appear competitve.

Yes. There is a reason why it's the most popular and most watched league in the world. It's not only highly competitive and exciting but every team in it gets an income of more than £100 million every year, which means they can buy many of the best players in the world. I don't remember many Saints fans whingeing about it when we finished 6th in 2016 and I don't think you'll find many Leicester, Sheffield United or Wolves fans whingeing about it now. The argument that a club like Saints can't hope to compete against the top six is just defeatism. We're having a bad season now but that can happen in the Championship too: ask Bolton and Sunderland fans.

The game where Saints looked most evenly matched against an opponent this season was Liverpool, where we deserved at least a point.

Except we most teams don't actually seem to. For the most part I wouldn't say even the better players in the better teams are especially good. And then of course we spend fortunes on the likes of ... I'll leave you to name them all.

I don't think we did deserve a point against Liverpool. We lost and that's because they scored more goals than us. Playing well doesn't mean you 'deserve' anything.