Saints Vs Watford

Bad Wolf

How many times has this team promised better times ahead only to revert to type in the very next game. It is so predictable that one wonders why we all cling on to this fantasy that things will tu n out well in the end. We keep doing the same old things in the same old way so why would any of us expect a different outcome.

It's odds on we'll disappoint once again especially with the cameras on our backs. I think there will be goals but other than that cannot see beyond a Watford win. Deany is another of the old timer journeymen who seem always to put one over on us like Crouch used to and Barnes still does.

Let's just dream a bit. Let's dream that the team can repeat the performance against Arsenal. It's possible. Every player knows about the shame loosing that game, as well as the coach. Yes, they have to overcome some mental obstacles (only one point in home games, 0-9 at home, up and down and up and down, possibly being at the bottom of the table for the next week) but when running and pressing like mad they can disregard those mental obstacles.

So give them again one chance.

A must win. I still think Watford are a better team than their position in the table but then the sacking of Gracia was an odd one.

I'll take 3 points any which way we can get them, even if the winning goal is scored by Vestergaard who humps the ball in from 2 yards off his crotch. It's not like we're being cut adrift (yet) or are running out of games, but with Villa beating Newcastle tonight, I would like to see us at least catch up to that pack of teams to give us a bit of confidence.

Let's just dream a bit. Let's dream that the team can repeat the performance against Arsenal. It's possible. Every player knows about the shame loosing that game, as well as the coach. Yes, they have to overcome some mental obstacles (only one point in home games, 0-9 at home, up and down and up and down, possibly being at the bottom of the table for the next week) but when running and pressing like mad they can disregard those mental obstacles.

So give them again one chance.

Who doesn't get excited by that walk down to SMS on Saturday afternoons full of hope and expectation and those lovely thoughtful meanderings that all things are possible, that we will win the next three games easily and how those nine points will take us safely clear of immediate problems.

After all we live only in the present and the past and the future with that awful possibility of a miserable trudge back to the car with all our hopes dashed has yet to be determined. Happy days indeed. Who would ever want to miss that early afternoon thrill of eternal optimism and possibilities.

I hate this playing for time during the last 10 Minutes of a game of Southampton, in order to stabilize a positive result. It's the wrong action. They delay, delay and then the passes get slower, the attacks get slower, everybode is delaying .. till one gets the goal! It's the coach's task to wipe that out of his team. They should attack, run an fight till the 96th minute, keeping the ball in the opponent's half.

I hate this playing for time during the last 10 Minutes of a game of Southampton, in order to stabilize a positive result. It's the wrong action. They delay, delay and then the passes get slower, the attacks get slower, everybode is delaying .. till one gets the goal! It's the coach's task to wipe that out of his team. They should attack, run an fight till the 96th minute, keeping the ball in the opponent's half.

Did you watch the game? We went for it towards the end of the game for the first time in ages and created more than enough chances to bury Arsenal. It’s not Ralph’s fault that the players missed their chances.

That didn't happen at all

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Did you watch the game? We went for it towards the end of the game for the first time in ages and created more than enough chances to bury Arsenal. It’s not Ralph’s fault that the players missed their chances.

Djenepo the chosen one to name names but he beyond criticism.... yet!

Boufal? Dribbles past three or four defenders along the goal line and sets it up on a plate with full complement of silver cutlery for the aforementioned but can't get more than 5 mins.

Ah! but he is not the chosen one ya see, laddie.

Djenepo the chosen one to name names but he beyond criticism.... yet!

Boufal? Dribbles past three or four defenders along the goal line and sets it up on a plate with full complement of silver cutlery for the aforementioned but can't get more than 5 mins.

Ah! but he is not the chosen one ya see, laddie.

Ok. But yellow card for Bertrand for delaying in minute 81 !

Ok. But yellow card for Bertrand for delaying in minute 81 !

The easy thing would be to bring in Romeu for Armstrong.

I hope he goes for Djenepo for Armstrong and sticks with four forward thinking players, but we may end up being quite open.

Bit of a blow to lose Armatrong as we havent really got anyone else like him.

Hopefully Boufal is back for Norwich as he is a great option from the bench, even if he doesn't start.

Pre-Match Press Conference

-------------------------------

RH: "Armstrong out for two weeks (Hamstring)"

RH: "Boufal has hit his toe on the kitchen table and unlikely to play this weekend!"

I'd forgotten how injury prone Armstrong was. When he was a regular starter at the beginning of last season he was always picking up knocks.

These two being injured is actually a disaster as we can't play the same tactics as last week without moving Ward-Prowse further forward and bringing in Romeu - our brief flirtation with a mobile midfield grinding to a sluggish halt.

Sent from my F3311 using Tapatalk

Bit of a blow to lose Armatrong as we havent really got anyone else like him.

Clutching at straws somewhat I admit, but Josh Sims might be the closest fit? (Although obviously not a candidate for Saturday given lack of match fitness etc)

Edited by trousers

Clutching at straws somewhat I admit, but Josh Sims might be the closest fit? (Although obviously not a candidate for Saturday given lack of match fitness etc)

Why isn't Sims match fit?OK, he went off last game for RB with a small injury but he had been playing more often than he would have been here. The way we handle our players these days is really troubling if we can't keep fringe players to a decent fitness level so that they are available if needed. Hopefully Matt Crocker will get some organisation ba k into this club when he eventually starts work.

I even re-watched the last 18 minutes of the regular time. We are both right.

There were many good attacks which should have led to one or the other goal in these minutes. But, starting from the 2-1, EACH corner and freekick, each throw in and each shot from the goalkeeper was delayed, on the limit to a provocation. Not fair. Almost each touch from an opponent or even from the the ball was a "severe" injury, handled by paramedics etc. I think of Bednarek, Armstrong and JWP. And the yellow card for Bertrand. 50% of time or so was spent with breaks during these minutes. I do not believe in Bad Karma, but the goal we conceded at the end was a kind of punishmant for this unfair behaviour.

I even re-watched the last 18 minutes of the regular time. We are both right.

There were many good attacks which should have led to one or the other goal in these minutes. But, starting from the 2-1, EACH corner and freekick, each throw in and each shot from the goalkeeper was delayed, on the limit to a provocation. Not fair. Almost each touch from an opponent or even from the the ball was a "severe" injury, handled by paramedics etc. I think of Bednarek, Armstrong and JWP. And the yellow card for Bertrand. 50% of time or so was spent with breaks during these minutes. I do not believe in Bad Karma, but the goal we conceded at the end was a kind of punishmant for this unfair behaviour.

I am sorry for Armstrong, that was not a light injury, as I originally thought ..

We won't beat Watford without Armstrong. Hugely important to us playing 4-3-3 with a high intensity.

Agree. He’s underrated imo. Nothing spectacular, but does the hard graft and actually gives us half a threat in the final 3rd.

I’d rather we give slattery a run out then reverting back to PEH, JWP, OR which just doesn’t work.

Bound to be an absolute cracker Mum's 80th Family dinner Saturday night all booked up before Sky o'clock poked their 5 eggs in, so 2 more empty seats.

Maybe I should follow Warsash Saints lead (Happy Birthday Sunday) and head down the bookies too........................do you think they will do me an each way bet:D

Edited by John Boy Saint

Agree. He’s underrated imo. Nothing spectacular, but does the hard graft and actually gives us half a threat in the final 3rd.

I’d rather we give slattery a run out then reverting back to PEH, JWP, OR which just doesn’t work.

Slattery's a slow plodder too, unfortunately.

Slattery's a slow plodder too, unfortunately.

Maybe but you wouldn't exclude Targett or Ward Prowse, sims or Stephens from that charge surely. Just seems to have been a rather uninspired crop of youngsters from the Academy. On that basis alone isn't it worth giving Slattery a run of games to show us what he can do.