Arsenal 2-2 Saints - Reaction

trousers

We feel sick now, but that was the performance of the season. A lot of good individual games especially Ward-Prowse and Bednarek. Boufal and Djenepo were the right subs and did well, and then missed sitters. There's only so much RH can do about that. Also, Ings was way offside before the pen by recent VAR standards, so it'll be interesting to see what's said about that.

What? VAR checked it and he wasn't offside.

I didn't manage to catch the game but from what I heard from end of commentary on Solent was that we were much better, lots of effort and pack to Ralph's early pressing the opposition in their half? That's all I've been asking for really.

...but reading on here it sounds like we were weak and ****e?

Thankfully their expensive players missed a couple of open goals, otherwise Saints would have lost that one. Arsenal the better team with 60% of possession, but failed to use it effectively. Well played Saints, better than the Citeh games.

We had almost double their chances. More clear cut chances. As the home team in the top 6 (now top 7), they're expected to have possession.

I didn't manage to catch the game but from what I heard from end of commentary on Solent was that we were much better, lots of effort and pack to Ralph's early pressing the opposition in their half? That's all I've been asking for really.

...but reading on here it sounds like we were weak and ****e?

To not win that, very weak

Best performance of the season by a mile. Not taking our big chances - they weren't half chances - or being ruthless enough in really promising counters (Prowse and Hojbjerg making terrible, selfish decisions) killed us. Should've been 3 or 4 up before the inevitable late equaliser.

If we could play every week with that level of commitment and endeavour, we'd scramble to safety. But I suspect we won't - there was no pressure on this game; a shot to nothing. We'll be expected to win the next few, and totally **** the bed.

Thought Bertrand had a great game. What a difference he makes when he decides to turn up.

This. It reminds me of the Everton and Boro 2-2 capitulations of the 2004/5 relegation season. I'm getting the same sense of doom. Norwich winning today doesn't help with my mood.

Yes Bertrand was very good, PEH a waste of space.

Thoughts overall I think we were the better team and should of been more clinical. Arsenal were there for the taking!

Spirited performance however we failed to capitalize on chances which in the end cost us the points.

That Mattéo Guendouzi is a good player exactly the type of player we need. Great vision, passing ability and not afraid to run with the ball. Wasn't he signed from French lower league?

Good performance, terrible result. I think Watford and Villa would've won there today, Arsenal were truly shocking.

We're going down.

Spot on. On paper looks a decent result, but arsenal, on current form are a bottom half team

With the lineup I thought that we would get tonked, fair play to Ralph that he got it right and it was the players who let us down for not putting away numerous chances. Still feels like a defeat but at least the overall performance was better. One thing I did agree with the lineup though is that Rom was left out, far too slow and negative.

Best performance of the season.

I m way more optimistic after seing how we managed to play.

On another we put them away and win.

We have quite a few technical players and that will get us wins this season.

Couple that with pressing desire like we showed today and we will be alright.

Now let s support the lads next week and make sure we get that first home win.

We are entering a pivotal period now with a run of winnable games, let s give the lads all our backing!

Too many drop points from winning positions since Ralph took out.

Yet the clueless ****s felt the need to waste £15m on Che Adams. We needed to sign a proper CB in the Summer.

Felt the need not to even pick him ...........a goal against one of the supposed top 6 teams today would have been a great pick me up and a boost to all i think wed all agree.Cedric to Obafemi ...like what the F maybe Adams might have throwm himself at it at least

Just seen thier equaliser didnt Mccarthy do a similar thing in the Man city game ?...........gutted right now, but there are positives my fellow Saints fans there are positives.....we didnt loose thats one of the top of my head.

What was Cedric thinking for that ‘cross’ to Obafemi? And Djenepo’s effort wasn’t great. Predictable equaliser after missing the chances.

Funny thing is we didn’t play that well, or even have to, to beat Arsenal. Watch us lose 1-0 at home next up.

What a load of crap. Some of you internet managers really hate Cedric don't you?

He made that chance out of nothing by closing players down. Frankly Obafemi could have done better IMO.

Much better performance but Cedric really screwed up big time with Obifemi waiting in the box 1 yard out...it was a very very simple pass to make and he failed spectacularly. Redmond and Djenpo also had big chances and failed. Thought Ralph messed up bringing on Boufal when 1-2 up away from home...should have been Romeu surely?

Ralph has a diliemna...either he plays a bias of attacking players and hopes we score more than the opposition or he plays more defensively and risks not scoring at all. It was better today, but conceding late will be the cause of relegation.

What a load of crap. Some of you internet managers really hate Cedric don't you?

He made that chance out of nothing by closing players down. Frankly Obafemi could have done better IMO.

Yes, he made the chance but that pass was inexcusable. No need to lift it at speed. Just rubbish.

Regardless of reputation, our last 2 games have been against teams totally out of form.

This is the season we go down I believe, its been coming for the last 3 years or more.

The players in this SFC side just cant do their jobs for 90 minutes, and RH's decisions continue to backfire. Another game we "should have got more from" sure, but we never do lately and that's not coincidence. Romeau was interviewed in the press this week and one comment he made sums it up, in a nutshell ".. if I was a better player I would be elsewhere..." . On paper a good result today, but we all know the f*** ups are coming against watford and norwich, just like the post Citeh capitulation against Everton.

We are going down, we deserve to. The club is a shambles from top to bottom.

I can almost here the arsenal players in my head...

"Okay, we’re going to give you this one because you guys need a break. Right, you’re 2-1 up so that’s a good start, here’s another chance, 3-1 should make it comfortable.... okay, you missed that, not to worry, here’s another.... okay you missed that too, don’t worry you can have another go... okay don’t worry about all those chances you missed, it’s 2-1 in the third minute of injury time, just stick this one in from 8 yards and you’ll be fine... okay you missed that too, just see out the last 4 minutes, we haven’t got a clue.... okay, here’s one last ball into the box, just clear this and you’re fine... oh FFS, well we tried our best to give it you."

Regardless of reputation, our last 2 games have been against teams totally out of form.

This is the season we go down I believe, its been coming for the last 3 years or more.

The players in this SFC side just cant do their jobs for 90 minutes, and RH's decisions continue to backfire. Another game we "should have got more from" sure, but we never do lately and that's not coincidence. Romeau was interviewed in the press this week and one comment he made sums it up, in a nutshell ".. if I was a better player I would be elsewhere..." . On paper a good result today, but we all know the f*** ups are coming against watford and norwich, just like the post Citeh capitulation against Everton.

We are going down, we deserve to. The club is a shambles from top to bottom.

Thanks for that feel much happier now ive read this......cheers feet planted firmly on the ground.

You’ve got to be trolling. No need to chip the pass. A simple 5 yard ground pass and it’s a tap in.

I can almost here the arsenal players in my head...

"Okay, we’re going to give you this one because you guys need a break. Right, you’re 2-1 up so that’s a good start, here’s another chance, 3-1 should make it comfortable.... okay, you missed that, not to worry, here’s another.... okay you missed that too, don’t worry you can have another go... okay don’t worry about all those chances you missed, it’s 2-1 in the third minute of injury time, just stick this one in from 8 yards and you’ll be fine... okay you missed that too, just see out the last 4 minutes, we haven’t got a clue.... okay, here’s one last ball into the box, just clear this and you’re fine... oh FFS, well we tried our best to give it you."

Arsenal had thrown the towel in and we still couldn’t capitalize. Shocking. Not happy with the point at small because wec****ed away 2.

Anyone who thinks we won’t do the “good performance one week and then fail to turn up in a must win game the next” is deluded.

God there are some ****in donuts on here, we were poor finishing away from a great away result against Arsenal. Granted i didn’t want Stephens, Cedric, JWP and obefemi anywhere near the starting line up but **** me at least they tried today.

It’s not good enough. Other teams are taking these easy chances and putting distance between them and us. It’s the same as 04/05. Almost every week it was, “another late equalizer/defeat, but if we do that in the next game we’ll be fine” type posts. There comes a time where we have to be braver and see out the win.

Best performance in a long time and Ralf got it right despite all the armchair managers on here slagging the line-up.

Feel gutted that we threw away 2 points, especially after not taking 3 or 4 golden chances to put the game to bed.

But let's be honest that was an entertaining game with chances galore. The speed of passing was a joy to watch at times.

This. Played with a pace and purpose not seen in a long while. Gutting now but not if we use this as a springboard at home. I like Romeu but the speed of our play through midfield was much better without him. Armstrong adds a lot to the midfield IMO.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

It’s not good enough. Other teams are taking these easy chances and putting distance between them and us. It’s the same as 04/05. Almost every week it was, “another late equalizer/defeat, but if we do that in the next game we’ll be fine” type posts. There comes a time where we have to be braver and see out the win.

Yep. This kind of thing would be tolerable if we were getting the business done elsewhere. A nice solid 2-0 at home to Bournemouth, Ings equalises against Liverpool, a comprehensive 3-1 over Everton and I can live with results like this.

When we’ve had fewer wins than 9-0 defeats at home since April, snatching a draw from the razor-sharp, titanium jaws of victory isn’t good enough, against any team.

Yep. This kind of thing would be tolerable if we were getting the business done elsewhere. A nice solid 2-0 at home to Bournemouth, Ings equalises against Liverpool, a comprehensive 3-1 over Everton and I can live with results like this.

When we’ve had fewer wins than 9-0 defeats at home since April, snatching a draw from the razor-sharp, titanium jaws of victory isn’t good enough, against any team.

Agreed 100%.

Good performance isn’t enough. We need points and if I’ve ever seen a team trying to get their manager fired, that Arsenal team was it. I think they got the equalizer because the youngster Martinelli said “**** this” and kept trying.