The Committee has left the building

Noodles34

So, i know someone, who knows someone, who knows someone on The Committee (or maybe i don't).

They have disbanded mainly because of grassy, happy clapper fans who obviously do not like their stance on our own club and fan base.

Think they were worried about 'actually' being banned from the club.

I'm told that the club were monitoring the account and some fans had made complaints. Some suggested that the OB were watching too.

It is the fans' 'grassing' that really disturbs me.

I do not really do Twitter, so i did not see much of their stuff, but what i did see was great.

The Committee reminded me of the old fanzine days where you could pretty much say what you wanted about the club and clearly some would disagree but the there did not seem to be this Happy Club (Saints Voice) crap in the background. The club did not like it, Alan Shearer did not like it and Ian Branfoot certainly did not like it, but WTF, who cared. These days you got to be so PC not to offend the people out there and clearly social media can have serious legal ramifications, so The Committee were always skating on thin ice, but that is what makes it great, the edge of the precipice.

And above all, who really takes it seriously. It's not like you had to read it or it was an official mouthpiece. The lads (and lasses maybe) that ran it were desperately trying to encourage singing at away games in particular, any who was at Spurs this season will know how desperate that got but anyone who was at Arsenal will probably agree with Nick Illingsworth assessment on TUI this week, it was so much better (unless you were doing a ****ing dry November and carry a ****ing Fortnum and Mason Tea Calendar in a poncy Pam Am bag, but that's another story!).

I know they encourage some of the old songs as well as perhaps some nawty ones (about Redknapp in particular), but you do not have to participate, just wait until the next rendition of OWTS comes round again, cause we all love that one, don't we.

It is a shame, but sort of sums up football these days i guess. So glad i was around in the 80's and early 90's and jealous of those who went before.

What the hell is the committee? Seems what ever this is just passed me right by.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

A few Saints mushes on Twitter. Had quite a bit to say, they weren't fans of half and half scarves for example.

They were a bit old skool, which was sort of the appeal.

They seemed a pretty funny bunch who didn’t take themselves too seriously.

It was all the shirters on Twitter that rallied around each other and took great offence. Some of them see themselves as THE saints away support because they do every game looking like a clown and travelling on the coaches.

Edited by LGTL

A few Saints mushes on Twitter. Had quite a bit to say, they weren't fans of half and half scarves for example.

They were a bit old skool, which was sort of the appeal.

Ok cheers not on twitter so probably why it past me by. Still I agree with them half and half scarves are for Muppets..

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

The Committee may have started out as an attempt to be funny and bring back the spirit of the old fanzines like Red Stripe -and initially it was fun to read on twitter with its old ins and outs.

But then they just started to have a go at people - particularly the Saints Away Supporters and anyone that vlogged or so it seemed - which wasn't particularly clever or funny.

I'm not particularly keen on half and half scarves - but why have a go at people for wearing a Saints shirt and going to games home or away - or younger fans who want to vlog or blog about games.

Is someone vlogging really any different to the Committee wanting people to hear their views by Tweeting all the time? If you don't like don't read them or watch them. Just ignore them which is what I did to the Committee - I just muted them on Twitter.

Or they did really was make the Saints twitter feed an unpleasant place to visit - and that's when there's not that much good about beings a Saints supporter at the moment anyway.

Pity because they were funny lads and behind the joking had a pretty serious point to make about the gentrification of our support and wider fan problems within top flight football.

It's no coincidence that our support is better when it's midweek away and there's a higher percentage of more old school lads than a normal Saturday afternoon when the demographic leans heavily towards the replica shirt wearing bingo bus fraternity.

It's a sad time when people get grief for having a bit of a laugh and trying to improve the pretty dire atmosphere that has materialised at many of our games.

Never heard of this committee personally and have no idea what they're about. Having said that, the OB really do have better things to do than stalk people who are 'just having a laugh' so if they are keeping an eye on someone, clearly something has been said. As for 'grassing', again it depends who said what.

I get that a lot of people don't like half an half scarves and I'm certainly no fan. I don't get why replica shirts at games are a problem though. I wear mine with pride, if the players see a wall of red and white at a game, that must provide some visual encouragement, same as a good vocal atmosphere. More to the point I really don't see why anyone would care what somebody else is wearing. Okay, silly wigs and face paints are pretty cringe worthy but a replica shirt; I just don't see the problem.

Never heard of this committee personally and have no idea what they're about. Having said that, the OB really do have better things to do than stalk people who are 'just having a laugh' so if they are keeping an eye on someone, clearly something has been said. As for 'grassing', again it depends who said what.

I get that a lot of people don't like half an half scarves and I'm certainly no fan. I don't get why replica shirts at games are a problem though. I wear mine with pride, if the players see a wall of red and white at a game, that must provide some visual encouragement, same as a good vocal atmosphere. More to the point I really don't see why anyone would care what somebody else is wearing. Okay, silly wigs and face paints are pretty cringe worthy but a replica shirt; I just don't see the problem.

Wasn't Roger beeks on here a policeman?

The Committee would like a word with you.

Personally I’d think the players are more

Inspired by an entire end of fans giving it large, loud, partisan and aggressive, when you see the great home ends round Europe it’s never soft looking middle aged blokes Clapping In a replica shirt is it.

Personally I’d think the players are more

Inspired by an entire end of fans giving it large, loud, partisan and aggressive, when you see the great home ends round Europe it’s never soft looking middle aged blokes Clapping In a replica shirt is it.

I love a good, belting away end as much as anyone else. To me replica shirts (or at least team colours) show a certain unity and togetherness which adds something to the atmosphere.

When someone says passionate European fans to me, the first team that springs to mind (no idea why) is Partizan Belgrade. They've got plenty of shirts, scarves (non 50:50 obviously) and flags and provide a hell of an atmosphere to play in. Same with most other clubs we associate with a good atmosphere; Celtic, Dortmund etc. I'm not saying everyone should wear colours, I honestly don't care. What I don't get is why passionate fans would see pictures like these and want to discourage it.

gettyimages-456437906-594x594-1.jpg

160927210935-dortmund-fans-exlarge-169.jpg

Edited by Lighthouse

I love a good, belting away end as much as anyone else. To me replica shirts (or at least team colours) show a certain unity and togetherness which adds something to the atmosphere.

When someone says passionate European fans to me, the first team that springs to mind (no idea why) is Partizan Belgrade. They've got plenty of shirts, scarves (non 50:50 obviously) and flags and provide a hell of an atmosphere to play in. Same with most other clubs we associate with a good atmosphere; Celtic, Dortmund etc. I'm not saying everyone should wear colours, I honestly don't care. What I don't get is why passionate fans would see pictures like these and want to discourage it.

160927210935-dortmund-fans-exlarge-169.jpg[/img]

.No shirts over hoodies, no clapping like seals who’ve spent all afternoon sniffing Charlie, no singing stupidly fast no one trying to be hilarious. A few shirts but lots of flags, banners and normal looking people creating a great atmosphere

Didn't even realize they had stopped tweeting until this thread brought it to my attention.

Don't mind what they were trying to achieve but they did seem to say the same thing over and over again to the point it became boring.

No problem with them having a pop at half and halfers and Vloggers though, as they do deserve multiple punches in the face.

160927210935-dortmund-fans-exlarge-169.jpg

Those are home ends and our most vociferous fans are 'special'; they don't want a whole home end: they prefer to hide in the corners of the away end. As someone who started watching Saints from behind the goal under the chocolate boxes at the Dell in the 60s, who always wished we'd have a big covered home end like most other clubs, it saddened the hell our of me that, when we finally got one at St Mary's, our fans shied away from it and instead chose to divide themselves into two small groups and hide in the corners, where the worst acoustics are.

I know the history of our most vocal fans moving around at the Dell, as I was part of it. The first move from behind the goal to the side in the 70s was because there was no roof over the Milton so the acoustics were poor. It was thought that at the side, where there was a roof, we'd sound louder. Then there was the move of a group of fans to be next to the away fans in the days when there was 'aggro'. But, today, what would be best would be to have a whole proper home end. That's what the clubs you've mentioned, like Borussia Dortmund and Celtic, have, and that's what we should have if we want to improve our home support.

To be honest that twitter account was needed, our support was f*cking awful away from home for a while and Spurs was the nadir of it. The sad thing is that in league one and the championship our support had real soul and wasn't noddy at all, but the promotion back to the premier league seemed to suddenly attract a type of fan that looked like they'd run through the club shop covered in super glue, and was happy to stand in silence at games or only sing Oh When The Saints (or Yellows).

Having a group to put the boot up the a*se of that support was needed, and it seemed to have made a difference. The support at Arsenal away was some of the best i can remember at the Emirates for a long time, and the Itchen North seems to have kicked on a gear now too.

No matter what people think about Dortmund's "yellow wall" that kind of thing just doesn't happen here, if you have an end full of people in replica shirts they're more likely to look like this

https://www.dailyecho.co.uk/resources/images/3353054/?type=responsive-gallery

than the yellow wall.

Like it or not (and many don't) the replica shirt wearers tend to be the more placid, more polite, support in this country. In Germany it's different, they're noisier and more rowdy, here it's the type that'll sit down when a steward asks, take the bus to games and unpack tupperware containers at half time.

Didn't even realize they had stopped tweeting until this thread brought it to my attention.

Don't mind what they were trying to achieve but they did seem to say the same thing over and over again to the point it became boring.

No idea who these people were but if they were making some of those live bloggers in the stadium think twice about their actions then I'm fully supportive.

Super tough fans telling other how to behave... to ssers

So, if I get this right? There was this committee of leave voting dinosaurs who had account on twitter that no one had ever heard of. Their collective IQ came up with targeting half and half scarf wearers (thats new!) replica shirt wearers and vloggers in some sort attempt to generate laughs...? But got scared as they started to believe their own rumour that OB were monitoring it...

They sound a riot!

So, if I get this right? There was this committee of leave voting dinosaurs who had account on twitter that no one had ever heard of. Their collective IQ came up with targeting half and half scarf wearers (thats new!) replica shirt wearers and vloggers in some sort attempt to generate laughs...? But got scared as they started to believe their own rumour that OB were monitoring it...

They sound a riot!

how did you jump to a conclusion that they were leave voting when they never tweeted about politics?

To be honest that twitter account was needed, our support was f*cking awful away from home for a while and Spurs was the nadir of it. The sad thing is that in league one and the championship our support had real soul and wasn't noddy at all, but the promotion back to the premier league seemed to suddenly attract a type of fan that looked like they'd run through the club shop covered in super glue, and was happy to stand in silence at games or only sing Oh When The Saints (or Yellows).

Having a group to put the boot up the a*se of that support was needed, and it seemed to have made a difference. The support at Arsenal away was some of the best i can remember at the Emirates for a long time, and the Itchen North seems to have kicked on a gear now too.

No matter what people think about Dortmund's "yellow wall" that kind of thing just doesn't happen here, if you have an end full of people in replica shirts they're more likely to look like this

https://www.dailyecho.co.uk/resources/images/3353054/?type=responsive-gallery

than the yellow wall.

Like it or not (and many don't) the replica shirt wearers tend to be the more placid, more polite, support in this country. In Germany it's different, they're noisier and more rowdy, here it's the type that'll sit down when a steward asks, take the bus to games and unpack tupperware containers at half time.

Yep there's no getting away from it, middle aged blokes in replica shirts are no use to anyone and should be restrained at home on match days.

Currently;

Nigel Cabourn overshirts

Fjällräven Skogsöm, Barbour International, Lyle and Scott or Patagonia Isthmus jackets

Adidas - Malmo, Gazelles, Munchen, Jeans or Trimm Trabs

Clarks or Mephisto

6876 or Sock Council bobble hats

8)

Belstaff jackets

Diadora Borg elites

?

Top choices mush - were you part of the Committee?

NO! I hated the committee, arrogant, drunken tossers who told fans like me who like to politely applaud our players and take a trip to the club shop Before games to stock up on the latest leisure wear that we weren’t as good as them. I’m glad they’ve gone.

Currently;

Nigel Cabourn overshirts

Fjällräven Skogsöm, Barbour International, Lyle and Scott or Patagonia Isthmus jackets

Adidas - Malmo, Gazelles, Munchen, Jeans or Trimm Trabs

Clarks or Mephisto

6876 or Sock Council bobble hats

8)

Thanks for clearing that up, now for what shouldn't be worn please

So, i know someone, who knows someone, who knows someone on The Committee (or maybe i don't).

They have disbanded mainly because of grassy, happy clapper fans who obviously do not like their stance on our own club and fan base.

Think they were worried about 'actually' being banned from the club.

I'm told that the club were monitoring the account and some fans had made complaints. Some suggested that the OB were watching too.

It is the fans' 'grassing' that really disturbs me.

I do not really do Twitter, so i did not see much of their stuff, but what i did see was great.

The Committee reminded me of the old fanzine days where you could pretty much say what you wanted about the club and clearly some would disagree but the there did not seem to be this Happy Club (Saints Voice) crap in the background. The club did not like it, Alan Shearer did not like it and Ian Branfoot certainly did not like it, but WTF, who cared. These days you got to be so PC not to offend the people out there and clearly social media can have serious legal ramifications, so The Committee were always skating on thin ice, but that is what makes it great, the edge of the precipice.

And above all, who really takes it seriously. It's not like you had to read it or it was an official mouthpiece. The lads (and lasses maybe) that ran it were desperately trying to encourage singing at away games in particular, any who was at Spurs this season will know how desperate that got but anyone who was at Arsenal will probably agree with Nick Illingsworth assessment on TUI this week, it was so much better (unless you were doing a ****ing dry November and carry a ****ing Fortnum and Mason Tea Calendar in a poncy Pam Am bag, but that's another story!).

I know they encourage some of the old songs as well as perhaps some nawty ones (about Redknapp in particular), but you do not have to participate, just wait until the next rendition of OWTS comes round again, cause we all love that one, don't we.

It is a shame, but sort of sums up football these days i guess. So glad i was around in the 80's and early 90's and jealous of those who went before.

Well Said. Think one of them might have been involved in creating this back in the day :suspicious:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EHF9Jo6X0AIk0_8?format=jpg&name=900x900