Jack Stephens - Saint or Sinner?

Professor

Oh really?

I can remember several underhit passes.

I can remember several underhit passes by the best players in history. Stephens is very good with the ball at his feet IMO but he's a bang average CB, probably worse than average who's in a good run of form.

I'd have liked to have seen him play more games as defensive midfielder where timing and anticipation (two things he's awful at) wouldn't be as much of an issue.

I can remember several underhit passes by the best players in history. Stephens is very good with the ball at his feet IMO but he's a bang average CB, probably worse than average who's in a good run of form.

I'd have liked to have seen him play more games as defensive midfielder where timing and anticipation (two things he's awful at) wouldn't be as much of an issue.

Timing and anticipation are actually very much an issue for a good defensive central midfielder. The best ones these days are not the traditional midfield general in 80s mould, they’re athletic, great readers of the game and great at breaking up play through interceptions not wild tackles like 30 years ago, this requires exceptional timing and anticipation. Despite a lot of our fans claiming Stephens is the perfect defensive midfielder it’s one thing to make a pass or tackle with the whole game in front of you, quite another to do it in a 100 mph midfield with tackles flying in from all angles. I’m afraid he’s one of those players who is a reasonable footballer but average or worse in quite a few positions. Okay I guess as a squad player to fill in but realistically never going to be a premier league player, probably an average championship player in truth.

He only had a 61% pass completion rate vs Villa ;)

Yes, well below his average of over 70% this season. Over 70% successful passes when averaging over 40 passes per game shows that he is actually quite good at passing, by no means the best, but actually pretty decent. Notice he is in the WhoScored team of the week this week, that's best XI of the top5 European Leagues, based on all stats. Not a great believer in stats but I think they at least refute the nonsense spouted by someone on here that he can't pass.

Yep

Yoshida has not started a game since the 9-0 defeat. He was awful that night like most of the team. Not saying he is worse than any of our poor central defenders but definitely not better.

Isn’t that the point? Seems a little harsh that one or two players take the fall for that defeat! And the fact you even say yourself that Yoshida is no worse than the other defenders surely means there is a case to be made for him or anyone else. I like the fact that Yoshida has a bit of pace and I have seen him put in some brilliant displays (which will have been backed up by any MOTM polls on here). I have seen Vestergaard and Stephens have the occasional good game but rarely best player on the pitch.

Unfortunately we don’t have the luxury of an obviously superior CB, but for those reasons I don’t agree with the decision to blame Yoshida for the 9-0 and for him not to have been given much gametime since.

Yes, well below his average of over 70% this season. Over 70% successful passes when averaging over 40 passes per game shows that he is actually quite good at passing, by no means the best, but actually pretty decent. Notice he is in the WhoScored team of the week this week, that's best XI of the top5 European Leagues, based on all stats. Not a great believer in stats but I think they at least refute the nonsense spouted by someone on here that he can't pass.

I think it’s more that he has a tendency to lose concentration and play a loose pass which puts us in trouble. Doesn’t mean he is a poor passer overall, but it’s more than just “an incomplete pass” once in a while. Compare that to Hojbjerg who regularly has games (or at least parts of games) where he seems unable to pass to a teammate stood 10 yards away.

I think it’s more that he has a tendency to lose concentration and play a loose pass which puts us in trouble. Doesn’t mean he is a poor passer overall, but it’s more than just “an incomplete pass” once in a while. Compare that to Hojbjerg who regularly has games (or at least parts of games) where he seems unable to pass to a teammate stood 10 yards away.

The response was to the fookwit who said he couldn't pass, even to Jan. We really do have some dimwits on this board.

Great against Villa, absolutely faultless today, the best performance he’s ever had, superb.

He was a mile better today than at Villa. The back four were a tight, compact and solid unit. Words you don’t normally associate with us. Cracking defensive performance and throughout the team. It was the pressing and closing down style we’ve been expecting and waiting for. Great job Ralph.

Edited by Greenridge

He was a mile better today than at Villa. The back four were a tight, compact and solid unit. Words you don’t normally associate with us. Cracking defensive performance and throughout the team. It was the pressing and closing down style we’ve been expecting and waiting for. Great job Ralph.

[emoji106]

Fantastic again today! Solely responsible for the fact most fans aren’t making a new centre back #1 priority in the transfer window.

With Yoshida OOC at the end of the season (and most likely off), Danso nowhere and Vestergaard tipped to re-join his old club (or be offloaded somewhere if not there), we still need to be seeing a CB come in this window - but I agree, it's a less pressing concern than it was a couple of months ago. A partnership is blossoming and both players have stepped it up - however an injury or suspension to one of them and we could see the brick wall come down. A CB is a must this window.

Jack Stephens ≥ Harry Maguire... :twisted:

With Yoshida OOC at the end of the season (and most likely off), Danso nowhere and Vestergaard tipped to re-join his old club (or be offloaded somewhere if not there), we still need to be seeing a CB come in this window - but I agree, it's a less pressing concern than it was a couple of months ago. A partnership is blossoming and both players have stepped it up - however an injury or suspension to one of them and we could see the brick wall come down. A CB is a must this window.

Only if Vestegaard does go, and apparently the deal is off. Otherwise its a must for next window. FB, MF and striker should be the priority for this window. We have no cover in MF, look at our bench today, 3 strikers, 2 CBs and OR.

Only if Vestegaard does go, and apparently the deal is off. Otherwise its a must for next window. FB, MF and striker should be the priority for this window. We have no cover in MF, look at our bench today, 3 strikers, 2 CBs and OR.

Let's hope he does because the transformation in our defence since Vestergaard was dropped is remarkable. You could almost say that was the catalyst for the turnaround in our season. In Vestergaard's last 6 games, we drew 1 and lost 5, including the Leicester defeat. In the 9 games since he was dropped, we've won 5 and drawn 2.

Today, Stephens played better than Alderweireld.

Let's hope he does because the transformation in our defence since Vestergaard was dropped is remarkable. You could almost say that was the catalyst for the turnaround in our season. In Vestergaard's last 6 games, we drew 1 and lost 5, including the Leicester defeat. In the 9 games since he was dropped, we've won 5 and drawn 2.

Today, Stephens played better than Alderweireld.

Agreed, but as backup along with Yoshida and Danso we would be silly to try to get someone else in. We need to strengthen here but not till the summer. Not forgetting we still have Hoedt, who knows he could be transformed like (according to some on here) Stephens. The likelihood of finding someone better than the current CB pairing in the January window is slim. Our record in the past couple of seasons is there for all to see in this position, why would this month be any better?

I am one who will absolutely hold hands up on this one. I thought even as recently as the Norwich game that Stephens was a decent footballer- but not cut out for the Premier League. Felt he was still making too many errors leading to goals and that would never change. But **** me, there were times today he was cleaning up the defense and bringing the ball out that reminded me of VVD. I still find that bonkers, but fair play, he is proving many people like myself wrong and I couldn't be happier to be wrong.

Fair play to him - he was quality today, and that pass for Ings was the cherry on the cake. Maybe not having a monumental bellend like his mate Austin around has allowed him to focus on his football and general positive behaviour.

Would love us to sign an experienced headed CB that can help him mature, and develop into a better defender - the same way Claus benefitted alongside Deano and then Killer.

Turned into Alderweireld.

Fair play to him. All that criticism and he's getting it together, finally... and he's learning in the PL of all places.

Hopefully he'll go from strength to strength now.

Steady on with comparisons to Toby when he was here. Stephens has been excellent recently and hope it continues. Still believe that we need a quality CB and competition between them, Stephens and Bednarek can only be good. Yoshidas time here appears over and cant see Vestergaard/Danso around much longer if they arent featuring

He was terrific, as was Bednarek, and the growing understanding between them

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Stephens was my Motm .... Superb performance and had to cover for Bednerek on numerous occasions. Watch Bednerek closely second half and he left Kane completely free many times it was fortunate however that Tottenham didn’t find him.

Bednerek enjoys too much praise for his performances.

Stephens is a far better player.

From the little I've seen, Stephens is a bit of a case where we can all happily eat a bit of humble pie and credit Ralph with doing a great job. Stephens was pretty much written off by everyone and has generally been 50/50 with Hoedt on here as choice for our most inept centre back. With perseverance he seems to have week on week become more assured and turned out to be a decent player after all.

So is it a poor player enjoying some great form or a decent player finally coming through and showing his class?

So is it a poor player enjoying some great form or a decent player finally coming through and showing his class?

I think it's the latter. He's always been talented and shown great composure on the ball, but his biggest downfall has always been his ability to switch off, lose his man and/or make howlers which have gifted goals to the opposition. These sort of drawbacks can be coached out of a player and overcome with experience.

I think it's the latter. He's always been talented and shown great composure on the ball, but his biggest downfall has always been his ability to switch off, lose his man and/or make howlers which have gifted goals to the opposition. These sort of drawbacks can be coached out of a player and overcome with experience.

Yeah was very much a fan of Stephens because he looked like he had all the attributes but felt all the switching off meant he'd run out of road at saints. Glad to see him bounce back. Long may it continue.

Jack and JWP have both transformed in the last month or so

I think it has helped both players that we now play a back 4 with 2 dm's. I don't think Jack was comfortable in a back 3 and I also felt that JWP wasn't entirely effective in a midfield 3; both their roles were muddied a bit, whereas they now have simpler, and more direct roles.

I thought they were both excellent yesterday.

Jack is benefiting from a settled back 4 and from being picked each week

We saw similar improvements in him before when he was given a run (recall the “better than Maguire” posts)

he did however then implode and got sloppy again. Hopefully this time he has permanently improved

time will tell

Yeah was very much a fan of Stephens because he looked like he had all the attributes but felt all the switching off meant he'd run out of road at saints. Glad to see him bounce back. Long may it continue.

The thing is, he never had the attributes. He was poor in the air and couldn’t mark. In fact, all he was good at was 1-1 defending.

I don’t know what’s happened, but he has really come a vital part of the team. He’s becoming the leader we needed at the back and whilst I do worry mistakes could creep back into his game, long may this form continue.

We still need a Cb, but at this rate, we play them with Stephens.

Credit to Jack and Ralph.