HRH Prince Andrew: Should he be sacked?

sadoldgit

Charles seems to be dropping strong hints that the Royal Family will be slimmed down in future. No bad thing but they ought to look at the whole thing. How many palaces do you need for example? Sell off a lot of the goodies and give the money back to the public. Reduce the royal list drastically. Pay tax on your income. Perhaps then it will stave off a move towards republicanism which will surely become more of an issue once Her Maj croaks.

Charles seems to be dropping strong hints that the Royal Family will be slimmed down in future. No bad thing but they ought to look at the whole thing. How many palaces do you need for example? Sell off a lot of the goodies and give the money back to the public. Reduce the royal list drastically. Pay tax on your income. Perhaps then it will stave off a move towards republicanism which will surely become more of an issue once Her Maj croaks.

The Queen already pays Income Tax an Capital Gains Tax

Well, it's pretty obvious from my username where my sympathies lie. Money is a secondary issue for me because then you get into a debate about whether they're "worth it". Only thing I'm concerned about is whether you can justify having a head of state who has got the job by birth right alone. I don't think you can - it's undemocratic and frankly offensive but I recognise I'm in the minority on this one.

Well, it's pretty obvious from my username where my sympathies lie. Money is a secondary issue for me because then you get into a debate about whether they're "worth it". Only thing I'm concerned about is whether you can justify having a head of state who has got the job by birth right alone. I don't think you can - it's undemocratic and frankly offensive but I recognise I'm in the minority on this one.

I’d be a fully fledged Republican only I would want to see people like Blair, Cameron, May or Johnson as head of state. Maybe if we could chose a non politician? Someone like David Attenborough.

I’d be a fully fledged Republican only I would want to see people like Blair, Cameron, May or Johnson as head of state. Maybe if we could chose a non politician? Someone like David Attenborough.

Well, the thing is that as long as you had a mechanism in place to remove them then you could do something about it. I dunno we could call it "taking back control " or something equally catchy. I'm not entirely sure we need a head of state anyway. I'm not a constitutional expert but on the face of it surely we could cope with just having a prime minister to represent us?

A couple of points:

Just how would you choose a head of state and just think about who you might get as President How does 'President Abbott' sound? Or President Prescott? or...

Elections to choose a president would cost more that the monarch does so at the moment we actually have the cheap option :)

A couple of points:

Just how would you choose a head of state and just think about who you might get as President How does 'President Abbott' sound? Or President Prescott? or...

Elections to choose a president would cost more that the monarch does so at the moment we actually have the cheap option :)

It isn’t just the monarch though is it? There is everything that goes with it. I quite like the idea of voting for a non-political Head of State. Someone to poddle around the country opening municipal buildings and wining and dining the likes of Trump etc. Can you imagine how much fun it would be to see Trump arrive out of Air Force One only to be greeted on the tarmac by Katie Price?

A couple of points:

Well, personally I don't think we need anything other than a prime minister but if we decided we did need a head of state then I'd expect that to be a democratic vote. As for the names you've suggested - they probably wouldn't win a democratic vote. If they did then they'd have a mandate, would be accountable and could also be removed. The money, as I've said before, is a side issue and not something I'm that bothered about but surely it would be cheaper to hold a vote every four or five years than keeping a monarchy. It wouldn't matter to me even if it wasn't though.

It isn’t just the monarch though is it? There is everything that goes with it. I quite like the idea of voting for a non-political Head of State. Someone to poddle around the country opening municipal buildings and wining and dining the likes of Trump etc. Can you imagine how much fun it would be to see Trump arrive out of Air Force One only to be greeted on the tarmac by Katie Price?

I'm ok with a monarch and a couple of spares awaiting on the shelf but it's all the others in the extended family with their noses in the trough that I object to.