BBC's War of the Worlds

OldNick

What a dissappointing load ofgarbage. It it could have been so good. Awful abortion of a great book. Typical waste of licence payers money.

As for the Martians like Edward Scissorhands on ice. Surely they could have written it closer to the real story rather than the romantic interest, when all along she knew he was dead!!

It seems to me it was written by a 15 year old as an GCSE

I like the first two episodes and was pleased to see it set nearer its original time, but last night was a mess. The production values were ok but the attack on British colonialism was heavy handed. Mind you the script was poor throughout. There has been a lot of really good drama on the BBC recently and I was looking forward to this, but it was disappointing overall.

I like the first two episodes and was pleased to see it set nearer its original time, but last night was a mess. The production values were ok but the attack on British colonialism was heavy handed. Mind you the script was poor throughout. There has been a lot of really good drama on the BBC recently and I was looking forward to this, but it was disappointing overall.
I gave it a chance hoping it would get better but as you say the Colonialism bit etc was pathetic.

You could see that a Doctor Who director was involved,but those Martians, I would love to see how they held a screwdriver to make a spaceship lol

I’m assuming the smaller tripods were just vehicles like the big ones and something was inside them? Otherwise, as you say, how did they build anything. In the book they are organic beings with tentacles. Yes, it had Dr Who written all over it. It was a waste of some good actors.

The BBC is still a better broadcaster than anything publicly offered in most countries, but I think its days of existing in this form are numbered. There's so much content being produced at a decent standard (as well as a huge amount of dross) by streaming channels like Netflix, Amazon, HBO etc. I wonder whether the BBC will eventually follow suit and become an optional subscription channel. I think it will be missed when it's gone.

I watch everything via streaming which has anything I could ever want to watch. Haven't watched BBC for about five years, enjoyed a few dramas on it but there's very little else to enjoy. I've never watched Dr who but I heard from people who do that that's been infected by the social justice disease of heavy handed politics. Unfortunately the BBC isn't held back by things like making money so it can push that sort of thing and not have to worry if it turns people off. The sooner they change it itno some subscription type service the better.

I have similar qualms over His Dark Materials, where they have set it in the present day, and have added in large portions of storyline that never existed in the original trilogy ( other than as events referred to as having happened in the past ). ( eg Lord Boreal's storyline - who should be a sixty-something white man ).

And when they did the recent version of the ABC Murders, they mucked about unecessarily with Poirot's back story, and killed off Inspector Japp before it even got going. Why do they have to reinvent established stories just to show how clever they are, or to impose modern social sensibilities on material written well before they emerged. If they want to show how smart and 'aware' they are, they should try creating something original.

I have similar qualms over His Dark Materials, where they have set it in the present day, and have added in large portions of storyline that never existed in the original trilogy ( other than as events referred to as having happened in the past ). ( eg Lord Boreal's storyline - who should be a sixty-something white man ).

And when they did the recent version of the ABC Murders, they mucked about unecessarily with Poirot's back story, and killed off Inspector Japp before it even got going. Why do they have to reinvent established stories just to show how clever they are, or to impose modern social sensibilities on material written well before they emerged. If they want to show how smart and 'aware' they are, they should try creating something original.

Because that's the background that all the writers come from and they have to work to diversity quotas rather than what's actually good. I pray that one day they will see the light and the media in general will go back to using for example women in proper ways. Ripley was in my opinion one of the greatest characters in any film ever and she was a strong female character precisely because she wasn't defined by her gender or because she wasn't pushing some ridiculous political point. Let's have more characters like that and brilliant acting and storytelling rather than whatever has been going on with Dr Who, Ghostbusters, star trek, star wars and potentially the new James bond.

Are women really that worried that all dramas have to have this strong woman message. Personally i believe that woen are the stronger sex and so dont need to feel that they have to have this type of casting.

The need for the woman being the strongest character ruined something that should have been brilliant but turned into a damp squib. All the males were pretty pathetic, and it was mildly amusing that when 'George' was going out to speak to the Martian, a woman so strong and apparently so in love let him go with hardly a whimper lol

Are women really that worried that all dramas have to have this strong woman message. Personally i believe that woen are the stronger sex and so dont need to feel that they have to have this type of casting.

The need for the woman being the strongest character ruined something that should have been brilliant but turned into a damp squib. All the males were pretty pathetic, and it was mildly amusing that when 'George' was going out to speak to the Martian, a woman so strong and apparently so in love let him go with hardly a whimper lol

It's a view expressed well by this famous Disney writer:

https://insidethemagic.net/2019/10/screenwriter-strong-female-characters-bb1/

They are so afraid of portraying a woman in a more traditionally "feminine" way for lack of a better phrase that you have this ridiculous strong woman stereotype that audiences are rejecting. See the latest terminator film with some tiny delicate looking woman firing massive guns as if it was nothing or what looks to be hideous agenda pushing of the latest charlies angels. Audiences don't want it.

I don't think many people like the diversity quota stuff and see it as silly and pointless. But, as with the BBC we don't get a vote on such matters in society, we just have to like it or lump it.

I do wonder if, the more lefty and silly as organisations like the BBC get, whether the public are inclined to view their society as becoming more left wing and might even vote differently as a result?

[**Conspiracy theory warning**] Could it even be conceivable that the Government would encourage the BBC, and other broadcast organisations to be as loony and leftist as possible in order to get a reaction from easily led, floating voters in the polls? Is that stretching things too far?

The recent series on that start of WW2, World On Fire, was a good watch and did an excellent job on showing the effect of war on ordinary people. It also highlighted the problems faced by the Polish which are often forgotten - not least that they were also invaded by the Russians. The Line Of Duty was first class. There is plenty of good stuff if you look for it.

I enjoyed the first two episodes of WoTW but last night was absolutely dire. Pointless, tedious and they managed to remove all the jeopardy and thrill from a story about an effing alien invasion. Dreadful, aimless dirge. Didn't even bother with major set pieces from the original story.

Never mind, that redhead from Poldark was more than pleasant.

The Line Of Duty was first class. There is plenty of good stuff if you look for it.

They’ve milked line of duty & ruined it.

I liked Guilty, it was lightweight but pretty decent. The Capture was good as well. Overall, ITV drama is far better, Prime & Netflix have some good stuff. Love Bosch, Goliath, & the Narcos stuff. The BBC is way way behind them, like comparing Freddie & The Dreamers to The Beatles.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Leaving the BBC aside, Netflix is overrated. Once you’ve worked your way through the usual suspects, their catalogue is painfully thin - like trying to force yourself to finish a half picked through box of quality streets.
I agree, I was under the impression that they had a wonderful backlog of films but no.

What a dissappointing load ofgarbage. It it could have been so good. Awful abortion of a great book. Typical waste of licence payers money.

As for the Martians like Edward Scissorhands on ice. Surely they could have written it closer to the real story rather than the romantic interest, when all along she knew he was dead!!

It seems to me it was written by a 15 year old as an GCSE

BBC should be scrapped, or constrained to arts coverage, news, educational programmes, free to access sports and the like. IMO anyway.

As an organisation it has become extremely out of touch with the population, displays a lot of arrogance/ignorance, overpays its workers, and too politicised. No longer even remotley fit for purpose, especially in today's world of on demand streaming access.

It should be revamped as a high calibre impartial information and cultural platform.

It's much better if you get a vpn to watch American Netflix.

I've had that for years, but find there's very little on the US one to tempt me now. US wasn't always the best either.

HBO seems to have quite a lot of good stuff, I've been using them more. I also got Amazon Prime just to finish watching The Boys, but generally it's pretty much like another Netflix.

Leaving the BBC aside, Netflix is overrated. Once you’ve worked your way through the usual suspects, their catalogue is painfully thin - like trying to force yourself to finish a half picked through box of quality streets.

Prices have crept up too. Now £12 a month which is about the same as tv licence.

Prime is decent value and like the football of picking any game you want. Shame we at home tomorrow as wont be able to take advantage

I've had that for years, but find there's very little on the US one to tempt me now. US wasn't always the best either.

HBO seems to have quite a lot of good stuff, I've been using them more. I also got Amazon Prime just to finish watching The Boys, but generally it's pretty much like another Netflix.

I use kodi to watch everything else anyway. Currently enjoying the mandalorian.

I use kodi to watch everything else anyway. Currently enjoying the mandalorian.

The VPN is essential, but Kodi? Popcorn gets me just about anything I don't want to pay for, and much easier than kodi.

BBC? From what I can see, they are still producing the higher quality stuff. Netflix is doing great with original content, The Irishman was a very, VERY ambitious attempt at a major movie, but fell a little short compared to cinema. However, I think that in the future they will only improve. It's an exciting time for avid couch potatoes!!!

The VPN is essential, but Kodi? Popcorn gets me just about anything I don't want to pay for, and much easier than kodi.

BBC? From what I can see, they are still producing the higher quality stuff. Netflix is doing great with original content, The Irishman was a very, VERY ambitious attempt at a major movie, but fell a little short compared to cinema. However, I think that in the future they will only improve. It's an exciting time for avid couch potatoes!!!

I don't think it's much easier. I use kodi on an android box with the venom addon. When connected to trakt, it keeps a record of what episode I'm on for literally hundreds of shows and updates the latest episodes on a weekly basis so I can watch for example the mandalorian or my wife can watch this is us the morning after it airs, all in HD. Takes a little bit of setting up but it's brilliant when it works. There's an addon called reaper settings which automates much of it to an extent.

Watched the first two. I'm still undecided.

I was hoping it would be a bit grittier, but then it is Disney after all. Whilst there are enough nods to the original Star Wars vibe to keep me interested, it's interspersed with silly **** you see in the recent films.

I was hoping it would be a bit grittier, but then it is Disney after all. Whilst there are enough nods to the original Star Wars vibe to keep me interested, it's interspersed with silly **** you see in the recent films.
Personally I woild have preferred that they had nothing star wars related and just left it all alone, but given that they are intent on doing it, it's been the most authentically star wars piece of media that Disney have done so far. Vastly preferable to the films even if as I said I'd rather they did none of it.

Personally I woild have preferred that they had nothing star wars related and just left it all alone, but given that they are intent on doing it, it's been the most authentically star wars piece of media that Disney have done so far. Vastly preferable to the films even if as I said I'd rather they did none of it.

Rogue One was excellent. Not seen Mandalorian yet.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...