BBC's War of the Worlds

OldNick

The Keeler thing is pretty good, despite being too long. They seem obsessed with stretching things for box sets. Joanne Whalley was great in the film, & the chick playing Keeler is in the same class. The Rice-Davis bird is worth watching as well. More like this and the licence fee may become worth it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The Keeler thing is pretty good, despite being too long. They seem obsessed with stretching things for box sets. Joanne Whalley was great in the film, & the chick playing Keeler is in the same class. The Rice-Davis bird is worth watching as well. More like this and the licence fee may become worth it.

Watch out Mark Kermode, you've got competition.

Why not give your opinion on any bbc programmes you've seen lately? Considering that's what the thread has largely been about. Not everything you post has to be potshots at other posters.

Equally, not every post has to be criticising other posters for taking potshots at other posters, or moaning about black, gay or trans representation on TV.

Nothing to do with Dracula himself but I won’t spoil it for those who have yet to watch it. Don’t get too excited though as it is no big deal. Second episode tonight took a different turn, more of a who dun it, and the preview of the finale tomorrow was a real curve ball.

I suppose at least your terminology in this post is in context. I agree that it is a good watch and it makes a change for the story to be told from Keeler’s perspective. I was 9 when it all kicked off and remember the media kicking off big time. Interesting to see the story fleshed out. I wonder if Boris Johnson has been recording it whilst away sunning himself?

Nothing to do with Dracula himself but I won’t spoil it for those who have yet to watch it. Don’t get too excited though as it is no big deal. Second episode tonight took a different turn, more of a who dun it, and the preview of the finale tomorrow was a real curve ball.
Assuming there's a vampire hunter in it are they in a wheelchair?

Not much of a spoiler now as it has been all over some of the newspapers. Van Helsing is a woman in this adaptation. I thought it was the first time the character had been female but is seems not as it was done before in a SkyFi series. As you were.

Having said that, she is the best thing in it as a wisecracking nun.

I was very disappointed with WotW. I was looking forward to it as it was set in the correct location and era, but they strayed too far from the book and the heavy-handed anti-Empire stuff was grating. It was, I thought, a mess #mess (is that still a thing on here?)

A Christmas Carol...really well made, but again, strayed from the original too much. The introduction of Scrooge being sexually abused, and his sexual degrading of Mrs Cratchit for money was unnecessary as was the use of foul language. Steven Knight is involved in a production of Ben Macintyres "Rogue Heroes" about the formation of the SAS during WWll....he had better not mess that up! Will I be watching it again? No...Alistair Sim every time!

Dracula....whilst Mark Gattis has altered/ expanded the book, he has kept within the spirit of the thing and has come up with a really enjoyable, foul language free, and interesting production...although I haven't seen part 3 yet!

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Edited by miserableoldgit

I was very disappointed with WotW. I was looking forward to it as it was set in the correct location and era, but they strayed too far from the book and the heavy-handed anti-Empire stuff was grating. It was, I thought, a mess #mess (is that still a thing on here?)

A Christmas Carol...really well made, but again, strayed from the original too much. The introduction of Scrooge being sexually abused, and his sexual degrading of Mrs Cratchit for money was unnecessary as was the use of foul language. Steven Knight is involved in a production of Ben Macintyres "Rogue Heroes" about the formation of the SAS during WWll....he had better not mess that up! Will I be watching it again? No...Alistair Sim every time!

Dracula....whilst Mark Gattis has altered/ expanded the book, he has kept within the spirit of the thing and has come up with a really enjoyable, foul language free, and interesting production...although I haven't seen part 3 yet!

I thought Knight’s version of A Christmas Carol was excellent. There are plenty of soft versions so we really don’t need another. This has a real bite to it. I think that Dickens would have approved. The final episode of Dracula lost its sense of humour and didn’t live up to the quality of the previous two, but overall another decent retailing of an old classic.

I thought Knight’s version of A Christmas Carol was excellent. There are plenty of soft versions so we really don’t need another. This has a real bite to it. I think that Dickens would have approved. The final episode of Dracula lost its sense of humour and didn’t live up to the quality of the previous two, but overall another decent retailing of an old classic.
I think that there is room for a "darker" version of ACC, in the same way as there is for Oliver Twist (or most of Dickens books, come to that), but I am not sure that Dickens would have approved of the unnecessary foul language and introduction of happenings not included in the original book.

I think that there is room for a "darker" version of ACC, in the same way as there is for Oliver Twist (or most of Dickens books, come to that), but I am not sure that Dickens would have approved of the unnecessary foul language and introduction of happenings not included in the original book.

Did they used to break into song every 10 minutes in the original Oliver Twist? If Dickens was in his prime and writing now I expect he would use the language we use now although I am sure that the criminal classes swore just as much then as they do now.What were considered profanities have now passed into common use. Given the darkness of many of his works I suspect he would have preferred the Knight version of Christmas Carol over the Muppet version. Still, there are plenty to chose from that cater for all tastes. It would be a pointless exercise to copy the original verbatim for every remake.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...