Amazon PL Games

Wurzel

Did anyone else watch any of Amazon's coverage last night? Watched 10 minutes of Palace v Bournemouth and gave up. Not because of the game but the picture quality.

Can't put my finger on it but it just doesn't seem right. Not techy enough to know if it is down to frame rate, speed of streaming or the way it's filmed but it just felt wrong. Maybe down to mt equipment ? 50" HD smart tv, watched via the app on the tv. Can't really explain it, it was almost a dreamlike quality, to the eye it was like the players were always a split second slower than the ball. Seen similar definition (for want of a better word) in films, seems ok then but maybe sport is simply to fast action for it (whatever "it" is).

I'll be watching our game tonight because it's us, but if that's the normal quality it's not something I'd subscribe to permanently.

This is the future. Simon Jordan made a good point yesterday.

The premier league could easily ditch the TV companies, provide their service around the world (any game at the touch of a button a bit like Amazon), charge everyone who wants it, £9.99 per month.

You will kill off illegal streaming services whilst making all the clubs richer.

Did anyone else watch any of Amazon's coverage last night? Watched 10 minutes of Palace v Bournemouth and gave up. Not because of the game but the picture quality.

Can't put my finger on it but it just doesn't seem right. Not techy enough to know if it is down to frame rate, speed of streaming or the way it's filmed but it just felt wrong. Maybe down to mt equipment ? 50" HD smart tv, watched via the app on the tv. Can't really explain it, it was almost a dreamlike quality, to the eye it was like the players were always a split second slower than the ball. Seen similar definition (for want of a better word) in films, seems ok then but maybe sport is simply to fast action for it (whatever "it" is).

I'll be watching our game tonight because it's us, but if that's the normal quality it's not something I'd subscribe to permanently.

The problem is your end and not Amazon. We've had the same issue watching the tennis and last night's football on the Amazon app on a Samsung smart tv. As you say it was a poor quality, almost hazy and a bit jerky.

However, I plugged in an Apple TV box and watched through that and the picture quality was the same as usually on Sky Sports and BT Sport. I think the issue is using the app on Smart TVs which seems ok for movies but not for sport.

I looked at it too late to see anything except the highlights. Picture quality initially was abysmal, completely unwatchable, but it improved a couple of minutes later when the highlights were almost finished.

There’s something wrong with the encoding in my opinion.

Were you watching through the app on a Smart TV?

All depends on how you're viewing it, your broadband connection etc. Mine picture via apple TV Amazon prime app was great.

Employing Michael Owen less great.

Tricky balance between being happy all games are on and it just being something else to make Amazon money and control. I get why they don't want just one company having all the rights but it does screw over fans.

Also, would you want all games to be available live? While we're rubbish on tv a lot, it's nice that it's fairly rare and more of an occasion to be on live. You watch a lot of other teams games when they're on because you can't always watch your own. Just seems it'll massively hit attendances if Amazon get more rights and keep doing this.

The lower leagues are protected by the 3 o'clock ban which is probably the main issue attendance wise. I do wonder if eventually they'll experiment with premier league having a different kick off time altogether, enabling the wider sort of amazon multi tv coverage/money deal.

Were you watching through the app on a Smart TV?

This was via my Virgin Media Tivo box V6. I also have a Firestick but that's on the TV out in the conservatory but that's way to cold to enter without appropriate clothing.

I am also on the highest datarate bundle so bandwidth shouldn't be a problem although it was playing up a bit earlier in the evening.

This was via my Virgin Media Tivo box V6. I also have a Firestick but that's on the TV out in the conservatory but that's way to cold to enter without appropriate clothing.

I am also on the highest datarate bundle so bandwidth shouldn't be a problem although it was playing up a bit earlier in the evening.

If you have Virgin cable internet it won't be a bandwidth issue but try the Firestick and see what it's like tonight. It was way better for me on Apple TV than watching through the app on my Smart TV.

I watched on a Samsung smart tv 4K, The Prime app on the smart hub gave good quality reception. The firestick on the same tv wasn't quite as good. I also put it on my laptop for comparison and found that the TV was about 45 secs behind the lap top, excellent picture. I was using the Bt internet smart hub about three rooms away, the signal quality was showing marginal. I'm just about to link the tv etc to the Bt booster that I have about 6ft from the tv which showed an excellent signal. I couldn't be bothered to try and link it last night.

Might be your tv settings. I know that if I change the presets like "movie" "dynamic" "vivid" etc it will have an outcome on the watch-ability. Some are unwatchable for sports in a way just like you said that you can't quite put your finger on. Some TVs have a

"sports" mode. Might be worth a check?

The lower leagues are protected by the 3 o'clock ban which is probably the main issue attendance wise. I do wonder if eventually they'll experiment with premier league having a different kick off time altogether, enabling the wider sort of amazon multi tv coverage/money deal.

Thats what they do in America with their American Football. No NFL games are played on Saturday because it would affect the attendances at the college football games. It's not out of the question that we might see all EFL fixtures played on a Saturday and all PL games on a Sunday / Monday night.

I watched on a Samsung smart tv 4K, The Prime app on the smart hub gave good quality reception. The firestick on the same tv wasn't quite as good. I also put it on my laptop for comparison and found that the TV was about 45 secs behind the lap top, excellent picture. I was using the Bt internet smart hub about three rooms away, the signal quality was showing marginal. I'm just about to link the tv etc to the Bt booster that I have about 6ft from the tv which showed an excellent signal. I couldn't be bothered to try and link it last night.

I've just linked to the bt booster on the smart hub app and the picture was perfect. The firestick wasn't as good but watchable none the less with no buffering.

And you could turn off the insufferable peter drury

What!? One of about 4 commentators that has the ability to enhance the game. Put on the Palace game and heard a Owen first, then Eni Aluko and then said ‘they just need Jenas to complete the whole set’ and lo and behold 5 minutes later he pops up on screen. That stadium effects mode is going to come in handy!

Might be your tv settings. I know that if I change the presets like "movie" "dynamic" "vivid" etc it will have an outcome on the watch-ability. Some are unwatchable for sports in a way just like you said that you can't quite put your finger on. Some TVs have a

"sports" mode. Might be worth a check?

This is likely to be it - the motion smoothing setting on many TVs is input-specific.

If you have Virgin cable internet it won't be a bandwidth issue but try the Firestick and see what it's like tonight. It was way better for me on Apple TV than watching through the app on my Smart TV.

Thanks for the suggestion but I shall be freezing my nuts off at the game tonight. I’ll try it another day.

Thanks for the suggestion but I shall be freezing my nuts off at the game tonight. I’ll try it another day.

Well done you. The hat-trick of badness that is traffic, weather and late kick-off, plus Amazon showing the game, have seen me cry off tonight.

Build-up on Amazon is streaming perfectly for me thus far, they really seem to be throwing the kitchen sink at this. Sky and BT should be very afraid. Glad I no longer hold shares in the latter...

Superb on my fire tv box. Lovely to be able to flick over to Liverpool game and then back to the saints.
Can stream on up to 3 different devices I think so if you've got phone/tablet you can whack both games on.

Sent from my ANE-LX1 using Tapatalk

Checked all my TV settings before tonight's game.

First half was worse than yesterday, poor quality pic and constant buffering after the half hour mark.

At half time I checked the back of the TV and my nice yellow lead was nowhere to be seen, so TV streaming via WiFi ( which to be fair should be sufficient to handle it). Found it, hardwired tv back to my router and absolutely perfect for the rest of the game.

Lesson learned, check the obvious first, it's usually that

On demand games was excellent. Picture quality for me was fine (Amazon app through BT box). Only minor downside is that it takes my app about 30 seconds to change channels, I’d ideally like to flick to other games for a few seconds when there’s lulls in play at saints (most of the time then lolz).

Overall though an excellent service, looking forward to more of the same on Boxing Day.

I started watching on our second (older) TV via Chromecast from a tablet and it kept freezing. I then moved to a room with Prime installed on the (smart) TV and it worked fine. It made up for me not being able to use my season ticket this evening.

Loads of empty seats tonight. Reckon many were tempted to stay away

Yeah, we had a few around us even in the central Kingsland. Wasn’t too cold though. I had my thermals on and a thick jumper but because it was a calm night I didn’t feel the cold.

When my wife has finished watching the Deadliest Catch I’ll try the highlights again.

Yeah, we had a few around us even in the central Kingsland. Wasn’t too cold though. I had my thermals on and a thick jumper but because it was a calm night I didn’t feel the cold.

When my wife has finished watching the Deadliest Catch I’ll try the highlights again.

Not helped either by last London train being 10pm but then the earlier 730 KO helped with that and allowed one of our lot to risk it. Others didn’t.

No doubt people on here watching on Amazon would be appalled at the sacrilege of leaving a game 5 mins early to ensure they made it home and not see the irony.

Traffic was very bad too but you don’t know that prior to leaving for game.

Still I can see the appeal of staying home in warm and if there was wind and rain might have been tempted to miss it myself.