Newcastle Vs Saints - Build Up

Bad Wolf

We'll have to see how they do against Sheff Utd but they are clearly better than most expected under Bruce.

I also just can't see 3 wins a row, it's almost like crazy talk considering our start to the season but we are better away from home so there is a chance, but I'd take a draw.

Away from home they will defend deep and hit on the counter, and they're doing pretty well with it. At home to us, they won't be allowed to do that. When they do open up, they've struggled a bit more. I think there's something there for us if we press them like we can.

I'd take a draw. 8 points from Arsenal away, Watford home, Norwich home and Newcastle away would be a very acceptable return considering.

On a side note, does anyone else think Steve Bruce is a very underrated manager? Does a solid, steady job wherever he goes just without achieving anything spectacular. Give me him over Marco Silva or Roberto Martinez any day. Plus he always seems to big us up.

I'd take a draw. 8 points from Arsenal away, Watford home, Norwich home and Newcastle away would be a very acceptable return considering.

On a side note, does anyone else think Steve Bruce is a very underrated manager? Does a solid, steady job wherever he goes just without achieving anything spectacular. Give me him over Marco Silva or Roberto Martinez any day. Plus he always seems to big us up.

I agree, good manager imo. Want him to do well, just not with Newcastle, I don't think their fans deserve him!

Get Romeu in for PEH and Boufal in for Redmond. Keep the rest the same.

Thought PEH was good tonight - agree with Romeu and Boufal getting game time. I'd put Long in "cotton wool" - he did his job tonight but after tonights cameo, Adams as a better striking back up than Long or Obafemi.

Agree but with Adams for Long IMO. I thought the latter did alright tonight but still think Adams is the better player.

Adams needs to up his game when he is not in possession.

We all know about Longs tenacity in chasing everything down, and when he went off (as well as Ings) having run themselves into the ground, we lost our front line of defence, and made it easier for them to start attacking build ups

rather than panic long balls out of defence. Adams was always looking for an attacking option, but we needed him and fresh legs to chase and put them under pressure, which he didn't seem to be up to.

He will score more goals than Long.

No. Why change a winning team, it is more than the sum of its parts? Barring fitness issues we should send out the same side with a high-press attacking intent. Sofiane on at HT and Oriol Romeu ready to shore up the defence in the last quarter.

3-1 to Saints if we start as we did last. night.

Why? Both had good games last night. I'd keep the same team, although I'd arguably replace Djenepo with Armstrong if he's fit to give a bit more solidity down the right.

If Adams put in the performance Long did there would be no calls for him to be dropped. Stick with Long and Ings ffs.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Agree completely. I think Long is generally actually more effective in away games than home so after a good home performance from him, it would be mad to drop him.

Sent from my moto g(7) play using Tapatalk

Haven't we had more success away from home with the back 3? He might do that, though I'd probably go with the same team with maybe Boufal in for Redmond if he's recovered from that toe injury. He deserves a start and Redmond has been below par for a little while now.

No. Why change a winning team, it is more than the sum of its parts? Barring fitness issues we should send out the same side with a high-press attacking intent. Sofiane on at HT and Oriol Romeu ready to shore up the defence in the last quarter.

3-1 to Saints if we start as we did last. night.

I've never bought into that argument personally. You pick the team you think will win the next game, not the one which has already won the last one. If Ralph thinks Boufal, Romeu or any other player would give us something we need against Newcastle then I'd back him to change the team. The only think I don't like is the defensive musical chairs we had earlier in the season but he seems relatively settled on that at the moment.

Not sure if it’s common knowledge yet but we are wearing last years 3rd kit for this one, wonder how times we’ve worn 4 different kits in a season?

Only Saints could master the feat of designing 3 kits which don't cover all away game scenarios! :)

I think Long did okay actually. Provides a lot of energy and hurries them up. Wish he could kick a football though

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

When he went one on one a couple of times yesterday, you could really see how ridiculously quick he still is. Won his fair share of headers, provided a good outlet ball and held the play up, hassled and harried like a dervish. Not fair to drop him after that IMHO.

I think it's going to be hard to call the line-up - three games in eight days for a high-pressing side will take its toll. Just please, Valery in for Cedric.

At least we get an extra day to prepare compared to Newcastle.

I'm very worried about Allan Saint Miximin running against our defence. He made the Man City defence look like Sunday league players last weekend

Both him and Almiron look very dangerous on the break, but you'd think considering they are at home they are the ones that will be looking to break us down and we will be looking more for the counters.

Newcastle's best performances have basically come from having little possession, defending deep and countering at pace, be interesting how they approach the game at home against a team they would be expected to beat.

I too think Allan saint maximin Is a huge threat to us. he's got boufal level dribbling abilities and is also quicker. his end product still questionable tho but he'll more than likely unsettle our poor defence. I'd definitely drop Cedric for this as valery will be fresher and eager to impress. plus he should be an upgrade on Cedric who seems inept at the moment.

as others have said I'd be happy with a draw here as Bruce seems to have shored them up and they seem really difficult to beat.

Same team as today. Boufal great as an impact sub.

You could argue rewarding players like boufal on form would be good for motivation levels, would also give under performing players like redmond a boot up the a@@ to try reclaim his place.. you know if your boufal your coming off the bench and at a lot of times looking the best player on the pitch changing games and creating chances off the bench isn’t it going to be a bit demoralising if your still on the bench next week and the next week.. good form like that should create competition not to be just classed as a impact sub