Newcastle Vs Saints - Build Up

Bad Wolf

Cedric needs to be dropped, his performance was **** poor or even negligent on Wednesday. Jogging back 30 yards out of position when 2-1 up with a couple of minutes to go is unforgiveable, blindly hoofing the ball to nobody and setting Norwich on the counter was just stupidity. He think's he's too good for us but has consistently been our worst player of late. Get Valery in and drum into whoever is on that side that they've got to help out a bit more defensively.

They are on form. A point will be good

I think we will set up as 442 and get swamped in midfield.

On form? Not sure about that, they parked the bus, got a goal with pretty much their only shot and then got another very lucky one late on. Their keeper was clear man of the match as well.

They had 27% possession and for about 70 minutes had a total of 2 shots on goal all game. This was against Sheff Utd, a promoted team, yet they played like they were facing Barcelona.

Most of their results have come from that style, I would presume at home their would be more pressure to actually leave their own half and try to win a game rather than not lose it.

At home they have not been great, they have drawn with Watford, lost to Arsenal (who are terrible away), drawn with Brighton, drawn with Wolves, beat Utd, drawn wit City and beat Bournemouth.

And they were quite lucky in some of games IMO, City battered them and should have won easily and generally they have been relying on some set pieces or long shots to get goals.

Considering we are better away from home than at home and they seem to only be able to play by parking the bus and are not great at home, could be an interesting game.

Edited by tajjuk

On form? Not sure about that, they parked the bus, got a goal with pretty much their only shot and then got another very lucky one late on. Their keeper was clear man of the match as well.

They had 27% possession and for about 70 minutes had a total of 2 shots on goal all game. This was against Sheff Utd, a promoted team, yet they played like they were facing Barcelona.

Most of their results have come from that style, I would presume at home their would be more pressure to actually leave their own half and try to win a game rather than not lose it.

At home they have not been great, they have drawn with Watford, lost to Arsenal (who are terrible away), drawn with Brighton, drawn with Wolves, beat Utd, drawn wit City and beat Bournemouth.

And they were quite lucky in some of games IMO, City battered them and should have won easily and generally they have been relying on some set pieces or long shots to get goals.

Considering we are better away from home than at home and they seem to only be able to play by parking the bus and are not great at home, could be an interesting game.

Well said and totally spot on.

Two important things in this game, We are one day fresher than them plus Andy Carroll is important for them.

Damn I'd completely forgotten that the pony tailed whingeing horrible git was back at Newcastle. Likes to give it out but goes down like a bag of turd

and crying to the ref the moment anybody goes near him. Always scores against us, but can he manage 2 games in 4 days? Cameo role of the bench as Newcastle go for a fightback?

Our midfield will need to track Shelvey who will be looking forward to adding to his collection of goals against us. If only we could roll out Matt Le Tiss in response :lol:

Not much in the way of goal action at SJP this season just 13 goals in 7 games, and 4 of those in the last game v City. Only scored 7 which is 2nd lowest but only let in 6 which is also 2nd lowest.

I think all of that may change on Sunday!! 4-4 anybody? But probaly 3-1 either way.

We should be positive and stick with the same shape. If we go to 3/5 at the back the whole team will drop off and we’ll just invite balls into our box.

I would consider Valery instead of Cedric and maybe bring in Romeu, move JWP to a wider slot and drop Redmond or Djenepo from the starting XI. Other than that, we may as well stay as we are.

We will have had three clear days since the last match and don’t play again until next weekend so I don’t see the need to “rest” anyone.

We should be positive and stick with the same shape. If we go to 3/5 at the back the whole team will drop off and we’ll just invite balls into our box.

I would consider Valery instead of Cedric and maybe bring in Romeu, move JWP to a wider slot and drop Redmond or Djenepo from the starting XI. Other than that, we may as well stay as we are.

We will have had three clear days since the last match and don’t play again until next weekend so I don’t see the need to “rest” anyone.

Good shout.

i would do the same

We cannot go to three at the back. We need to drop Cedric and stick with the same formation and press from the front. It's the best way we can defend, we cannot invite pressure on the weak defence, but playing 3 at the back.

Apart from dropping Cedric, I would probably drop Redmond for Boufal. I know he has a good impact from the bench, but deserves to start with recent performances.

Playing positive IMO plays into their hands, pretty much all season they have been a park the bus and score from set pieces/long shots team, their forward 3 have (after last night) just 2 goals between them. They had some good counters against West Ham, but that is about it, they have threatened little from actual creating their own chances/breaking teams down.

I'd prefer us to keep a bit tighter earlier on, get the crowed bored and invite them on and counter them, see what their defence is made of when its not siting in it's own box being screened by 3 DMs.

We cannot go to three at the back. We need to drop Cedric and stick with the same formation and press from the front. It's the best way we can defend, we cannot invite pressure on the weak defence, but playing 3 at the back.

Apart from dropping Cedric, I would probably drop Redmond for Boufal. I know he has a good impact from the bench, but deserves to start with recent performances.

https://www.dailyecho.co.uk/sport/18082758.southampton-boss-ralph-hasenhuttl-found-good-answers/

Injuries aside, we will go same side as Wed - according to Ralph

I think Long did okay actually. Provides a lot of energy and hurries them up. Wish he could kick a football though

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Christ when you look at the glairing chances that went begging in the Arsenal game ...should have won 3-4 --1.imo and the misses in the Watford game that we held on for ,those chances missed puts us

under enormous pressure and we dont see out games very well at all atm . So when are fans going to get over ,he runs around alot?...........lol or JWP hes good on set ball deliveries...

how many assists has he got?.......Give adams a chance to play with a now inform Ings.

Christ when you look at the glairing chances that went begging in the Arsenal game ...should have won 3-4 --1.imo and the misses in the Watford game that we held on for ,those chances missed puts us

under enormous pressure and we dont see out games very well at all atm . So when are fans going to get over ,he runs around alot?...........lol or JWP hes good on set ball deliveries...

how many assists has he got?.......Give adams a chance to play with a now inform Ings.

Long got an important assist on Wednesday.

They will fancy it, we need pace in the side to hit them on the break. Don't change too much in a winning side though. Long should be keeping his place. Boufal off the bench for Djenepo or Redmond second half to keep the pace on. Maybe Valery for Cedric too. Got put on his arse far too easy for the Byram chance at the end on Wednesday.

bummer

was browsing the EPL stats and he has 2 assists in 416mins and is our top assist maker in the team.

JWP played the most minutes at 1350mins and 1 assist.

Interestingly errors leading to a goal shows Jan leading the way with 3 !!

JWP is also a second highest goal scorer with 4 goals though

Saw an interview with RH. He stated that JWP began to make more right decisions. (In the past he also said that Valery made some wrong decisions so he put him on the bench). If the players continue to make more "right decisions", i.e. according to RH's style, than the next games will be quite entertaining :).

They are playing with two left backs, no Schar and Lascelles is long term injured. Not to mention Saint-Maximin is playing through the pain barrier with a dodgy ankle (which I'd be knocking about a bit to see if it copes). I'd say, with a couple of confident wins behind us, this is a decent chance to pick up at least a point. (Which I would take.)

I really hope though that this is one of those games we just click and unexpectedly walk away with all three points. Go on Djenepo, show us what you can do!