Saints 2 Norwich 1 - Reactions

St Chalet

A stonewall penalty. Despite feeble arguments that VAR can't determine how hard Long was pushed by Godfrey and how Long had dived, the highlights video clearly shows at 5.45 that Long had jumped to attempt to head the ball and was pushed whilst in the air. I invite any sceptics to explain how they would attempt to avoid injury landing on the pitch following a push high up their backs. If it is clear what happened in the match highlights, I am amazed that VAR did not grant the penalty; if they indeed had a look at it. We are lucky that we managed to avoid conceding the equaliser, or we would have been justifiably angry at this.

It’s either a foul under the laws, or it’s not, you can’t decide not to give it because ‘he fell too hard’. It was a foul, it was in the area, so under the law, should’ve resulted in a direct free kick.....a penalty.

Long has a reputation going back a long way for gilding the lily when it comes to being fouled on contact, when he does actually get fouled more often than not he is treated like the boy who cried wolf. Arsenal a couple of seasons ago in the latter minutes TV later showed he was clearly fouled alongside the Arsenal penalty box, right in front of the Lino who signaled nothing, the Ref waved it away like his decision was "oh look its Shane Long nothing to see here" 20 seconds later Arsenal are in our box winning a soft penalty. You could just imagine the voice in the Ref's ear Wednesday night........" don't bother asking Kevin, its only Shane Long".......Lino concurring "not his best but 6.5 for artistic impression".

No, the angle meant he couldn't go across more without completely opening up the other side

Agree...McCarthy had to cover the open side and Pukki took the wrong footed option near post...it was a quality finish. My only complaint with McCarthy is a few sloppy clearances. As things stand he is a better keeper than Gunn.

It’s either a foul under the laws, or it’s not, you can’t decide not to give it because ‘he fell too hard’. It was a foul, it was in the area, so under the law, should’ve resulted in a direct free kick.....a penalty.

It wasn’t a foul. There are many such incidents during a game and just because someone flings themselves to the ground doesn’t mean that they were shoved there. These players practise ‘being fouled’ and trying to make it look natural.

A stonewall penalty. Despite feeble arguments that VAR can't determine how hard Long was pushed by Godfrey and how Long had dived, the highlights video clearly shows at 5.45 that Long had jumped to attempt to head the ball and was pushed whilst in the air. I invite any sceptics to explain how they would attempt to avoid injury landing on the pitch following a push high up their backs. If it is clear what happened in the match highlights, I am amazed that VAR did not grant the penalty; if they indeed had a look at it. We are lucky that we managed to avoid conceding the equaliser, or we would have been justifiably angry at this.

Eh? Long was standing on the ground when this incident happened. Don’t be fooled by the commentators. The defender touches Long on the shoulders with both hands but doesn’t push him. His hands don’t move any farther forward than where they started, Long is waiting for the push and feels the touch but the rest is just embarrassing.

No, the angle meant he couldn't go across more without completely opening up the other side

Agree...McCarthy had to cover the open side and Pukki took the wrong footed option near post...it was a quality finish. My only complaint with McCarthy is a few sloppy clearances. As things stand he is a better keeper than Gunn.

I agree. We were central Kingsland and right behind the run of Pukki wondering which side he was going to put it. There wasn’t much of a gap at the near post but it was past McCarthy before he knew it.

Eh? Long was standing on the ground when this incident happened. Don’t be fooled by the commentators. The defender touches Long on the shoulders with both hands but doesn’t push him. His hands don’t move any farther forward than where they started, Long is waiting for the push and feels the touch but the rest is just embarrassing.

Long, who has eyes in the back of his head and wasn't at all concentrating on trying to head the incoming ball, had uppermost in his mind the thought that his first priority was to dive for a penalty. :lol: Godfrey thought that Long might have fallen over backwards if he wasn't careful, so he would kindly just place his hands gently on his back to offer some support to him. How thoughtful of him. :lol:

I agree with JBS. If this was a glory team striker, it would have been awarded. Had it been outside of the box it would have been awarded.

Long, who has eyes in the back of his head and wasn't at all concentrating on trying to head the incoming ball, had uppermost in his mind the thought that his first priority was to dive for a penalty. :lol: Godfrey thought that Long might have fallen over backwards if he wasn't careful, so he would kindly just place his hands gently on his back to offer some support to him. How thoughtful of him. :lol:

I agree with JBS. If this was a glory team striker, it would have been awarded. Had it been outside of the box it would have been awarded.

his hands are up but thats it- his arms dont really even straighten so it just isnt a push. if its a pen its for having his arms up and its a pretty fair situation to have them up with someone backing in to you. I agree that if he pushes, even if softly then its a pen but i really dont see any movement other than shane diving expecting more of a shove than he got. Yellow card for me. Hes got caught waiting for the touch and it doesnt come like hes expecting it

his hands are up but thats it- his arms dont really even straighten so it just isnt a push. if its a pen its for having his arms up and its a pretty fair situation to have them up with someone backing in to you. I agree that if he pushes, even if softly then its a pen but i really dont see any movement other than shane diving expecting more of a shove than he got. Yellow card for me. Hes got caught waiting for the touch and it doesnt come like hes expecting it

all goes to show why refereeing (and VAR) is quite tricky!

You reading of Long’s actions is spot on. Have a look at it again and watch Long’s feet. There’s a delay between him feeling the touch on his back and him the leaping forward with both feet leaving the ground. Yes, he’s more concerned about winning the foul than winning the ball. It goes on all the time.

I agree. We were central Kingsland and right behind the run of Pukki wondering which side he was going to put it. There wasn’t much of a gap at the near post but it was past McCarthy before he knew it.

Even with a side view Pukki certainly hit it, and like someone once said stand in the middle of the road and a car is driving towards you, you have very little idea if the car is traveling at 30 or 70mph. On holiday in Spain a few years ago we had a footie match, older Dutch chap asked if he could join in. He was pretty damn good, when questioned he claimed he had been on the books at Ajax as a nipper but got a silly injury, having played with lads who got the call to join clubs and sadly not make the cut, it was hard to doubt him. Jeez with very little back lift I had balls whistling past me into the goal (I swear he was putting them near me just to give me a chance) one of the other lads said he wanted a rest and that I was rubbish in goal so swapped with me, 3 more goals later from this Dutch chap - and the lad calling me rubbish just said "wow - I take back saying you were rubbish - they are past you before you even move your hands!!".

One of those that you just have to take on the chin, if you wanted to be harsh it did go past 10 other players before getting to McCarthy.

Even with a side view Pukki certainly hit it, and like someone once said stand in the middle of the road and a car is driving towards you, you have very little idea if the car is traveling at 30 or 70mph. On holiday in Spain a few years ago we had a footie match, older Dutch chap asked if he could join in. He was pretty damn good, when questioned he claimed he had been on the books at Ajax as a nipper but got a silly injury, having played with lads who got the call to join clubs and sadly not make the cut, it was hard to doubt him. Jeez with very little back lift I had balls whistling past me into the goal (I swear he was putting them near me just to give me a chance) one of the other lads said he wanted a rest and that I was rubbish in goal so swapped with me, 3 more goals later from this Dutch chap - and the lad calling me rubbish just said "wow - I take back saying you were rubbish - they are past you before you even move your hands!!".

One of those that you just have to take on the chin, if you wanted to be harsh it did go past 10 other players before getting to McCarthy.

Yeah, there is no time to react. To get a bit technical, Pukki hits the ball on the edge of the goal area at about 3m away from McCarthy. Even at a conservative 60mph (27m/s) the ball goes past McCarthy after a ninth of a second or 111ms. Human visual reaction time is typically 250ms so the ball is past him before he knows it.

Goalkeepers make saves by anticipating the path of the shot from the boot of the attacker but Pukki actually hits across the ball so that it almost seems to come off his toe.Pukki 2.jpg

Long has a reputation going back a long way for gilding the lily when it comes to being fouled on contact, when he does actually get fouled more often than not he is treated like the boy who cried wolf. Arsenal a couple of seasons ago in the latter minutes TV later showed he was clearly fouled alongside the Arsenal penalty box, right in front of the Lino who signaled nothing, the Ref waved it away like his decision was "oh look its Shane Long nothing to see here" 20 seconds later Arsenal are in our box winning a soft penalty. You could just imagine the voice in the Ref's ear Wednesday night........" don't bother asking Kevin, its only Shane Long".......Lino concurring "not his best but 6.5 for artistic impression".

Great expression. A number of players do that, and you can't help think that if they went down naturally, they would have more chance of the decision in their favour. Throwing in a pike and twist on the way down justifies the ref shaking his head in disbelief.

Long was not backing in. The Amazon tater was spouting that nonsense as well. You can't back in while going forward. If Friend thought it was a dive then it should have been a yellow. It was a blatant push, but because its Long it isn't given.

Have you never heard of the Bruce lee 1" punch? ha ha

What reason does the defender have to touch Long apart from to gain an advantage?