Worst feeling for an opposition goal?

Dusic

Was thinking about this the other day after the late Arsenal equaliser - whats the most deflated you have felt from a Saints perspective after an opposition goal?

A couple against the same team:

Sigurdsson at Goodison, that felt like relegation with one cruel deflection.

Marcus Bent for Everton at SMS after Crouch didn't take the ball into the corner.

Zlatan at Wembley.

There have been several but Zlatan was gut wrenching in the extreme. If ever we deserved to win a cup final that was the game. We played superbly and despite having a perfectly good goal disallowed we put in a full shift. I watched it with a United supporter, he was embarrassed at the end and said that we deserved to win.

Heath at Highbury, 84.

Was going to say that, as well as Rush 86 WHL, Ibrahimovic Wembley 2017, Bent 2005, Best OG 2007.

On the other hand, Saints have done the same to plenty of sides - Bridgey's free kick V Wimbledon, Rickie v Millwall, Griffit v Newcastle to deny them a CL place last gasp, JWP v Spurs.

There have been so many, but one that really crushed me as a kid was a cup qtr final replay at Carrow Road vs Norwich. 2nd Div (these days it's championship) Sunderland awaited the winners in the semi. Game got off to a bad start, Le Tiss retaliated on Robert Fleck after getting persistently hacked by him and the referees were doing nothing to stop it. Early bath for Matty. It was a really nasty game and Norwich seemed to be getting away with murder. Ruddock had put us in front and we were holding on with 10 men. Norwich equalized on about the hour and we held on to force extra time. In extra time Barry Horne was sent off and we held on and held on with 9 men. Last play of the game, with penalty kicks approaching and Chris Sutton won it for them. Total fluke too, Goss spooned his shot and it pretty much hit Sutton and looped up and over Flowers. Gutted!

There has been so many, but I remember in 2005 when Marcus Bent scored for Everton in the last minute. We conceded so many last minute goals that season and was one of many reasons why we went down. I knew we were down after that game even though we still had a few games to go.

Boro making it 2-2 under arry.

Ugh! 2-0 up too, Higgy OG and then we give Downing space to smash in a worldy. Always bothers me that, we get our players missing absolute sitters and then some other player smashes in a beauty. Usually it's someone who hasn't scored in ages too, they all of a sudden get everything right. Grrr.

Going quite a way back, the Anderlecht goal at The Dell, in the pouring rain when unfortunately Jim Steele slipped up.

I hadn't been able to go to any of the away matches and was really looking forward to a Euro trip. Made even worse by the fact that we'd had a perfectly good goal disallowed in the away leg.

Missed out on Cup semi's in the 80's but Zlats goal at the end devastated me, but at least we could hold our heads high and be proud in defeat.

Then Tom Davies at Goodison under Hughes 2 season ago. Gut punch, we were so close to safety then we had to go into a do or die against Swansea.

UGH!

They are such a bogie team at Goodison too, really hurt that we were so close, had played so well and it ended on such a sour note.

There have been many but the most poignant one for me was when Williams scored in stoppage time for Bristol Rovers to beat us 3-2 at St Marys in 2009 when we were on minus 1 point and rock bottom of League 1. That was as low as we have been since I started watching Saints in the 1960's and I hope that we never repeat the experience.

Basically what’s been said already; Zlatan, Norris and both injury time Everton equalisers. When Davies scored I thought it was all happening again. I’ll add Steven Davis of all people, scoring the winner for Villa against us in 2005.

The Boro game I vaguely remember having to go to work on about 88 minutes. Obviously this was in the days before smart phones, I spent the entire shift assuming we’d just seen out a 2-0 and ‘Arry would have us safely mid-table by May. Overall though, the Everton one was the worst, mainly because it was the third time it had happened.

Funnily enough the Norris one was not that much of a problem for me. They were going down and we were going up, Id take that everytime.

Unless you were there you would not understand the Heath 84 at Highbury. It was a travesty, the ref let Gray get away with fouls all game. It was us against Neville Southall who was brilliant. A crying shame as we had a fantastic team and really deserved to win. As for the trouble on the pitch after the Everton fans came on goading us........

Highbury 1984 - 35 bloody years and it still kills me !

The Bent equaliser for Everton in 05 comes close.

If I could make an honourable mention for Oldham in the League Cup in about 86 or 87.....it wasn’t so much the goal as referee Roger fkin Milford and his broken watch allowing a ridiculous amount of injury time. The bastard.

As mentioned before Bent and Norris and Ward at Fratton. 2-4 points dropped against Pompey would have won us the Championship title that we deserved.

Robert Pires in the 2003 Cup Final felt like the air was sucked out of me. Sure it was a great Arsenal team and there was no shame in losing to them but it was more that we never really looked like getting back into that game.

As mentioned before Bent and Norris and Ward at Fratton. 2-4 points dropped against Pompey would have won us the Championship title that we deserved.

Robert Pires in the 2003 Cup Final felt like the air was sucked out of me. Sure it was a great Arsenal team and there was no shame in losing to them but it was more that we never really looked like getting back into that game.

So many... so many...

I was just going to suggest that Pires one. Up til then we could live in hope but once that went in you knew it was game over.

Be’er Sheva’s goal was a bit of a kicker, now that I think back to it.

Good (or bad) call.

The way Puell managed us in The Euro games alone was worthy of him being sacked.

Playing for a 0-0 draw at home against a team who'd struggle in The Championship was a travesty. Don't get me started on Milan away .... that one hurt as well, but the whole occasion glossed over the defeat as

we still had plenty of time to regain ground and qualify.

I think we lost that final after the thrashing at Highbury. Strachan played it safe. Kevin Davis wasn’t even on the bench.