Che Adams

Mr X

This doesn't make any sense for either the club or Adams, I'd be massively surprised. Okay so he hasn't done it yet, what did we think we were getting for £15m? He's just come up from the Championship, into a team which has struggled up until a month ago. He needs time and confidence.

What on Earth is selling him for a loss after 6 months supposed to achieve? What other goal scorer are we getting for £15m? Perhaps we can stick the £10m on a 4-1 horse, then we'd have enough to buy a guaranteed goal scorer like Sebastian Haller or Cenk Tosun. Why would Adams go there, so he can dream of playing in the Premier League next season?

This. Absolutely this. Some players start with a big bang and then go massively off the boil (Swansea goal apart, Gabbiadini?). Others may take longer to adapt but eventually develop into good Premier League players. I'm hoping Adams will be one of these. He needs game time and we've only just shifted from playing one up top (when he'd unsurprisingly lost out to Danny Ings, who was/is on fire). There are no guarantees he will develop but he's only 23, he works hard and there does seem to be some evidence of ability. A couple of goals and I reckon we'll see a very different player.

This. Absolutely this. Some players start with a big bang and then go massively off the boil (Swansea goal apart' date=' Gabbiadini?). Others may take longer to adapt but eventually develop into good Premier League players. I'm hoping Adams will be one of these. He needs game time and we've only just shifted from playing one up top (when he'd unsurprisingly lost out to Danny Ings, who was/is on fire). There are no guarantees he will develop but he's only 23, he works hard and there does seem to be some evidence of ability. A couple of goals and I reckon we'll see a very different player.[/quote']

He's closer to 24 than 23. He's not a young player any more - with the pace of the modern game, 23-27 are increasingly the peak years of a player's career.

He's closer to 24 than 23. He's not a young player any more - with the pace of the modern game, 23-27 are increasingly the peak years of a player's career.

I'm not sure the Premier League's top scorers, 33 year old Vardy, 30 year old Aubameyang and 31 year old Aguero, would agree with that.

I'm not sure the Premier League's top scorers, 33 year old Vardy, 30 year old Aubameyang and 31 year old Aguero, would agree with that.

Those are exceptional players, better in their 30s than most players ever are. Still, in all three cases, their best goalscoring seasons were in the age window I mentioned (though Vardy could possibly exceed his best season if he keeps going this year).

I agree with a lot of the sentiment on here that it doesn't seem to make sense from either Saints or Adams's point of view.

However, if somebody offered a sale of Adams and in return we got a loan for Martinelli for the rest of the season, would you take it?

(assuming Adams and Martinelli earn the same and we get to retain the cash from Leeds for Adams)

I agree with a lot of the sentiment on here that it doesn't seem to make sense from either Saints or Adams's point of view.

However, if somebody offered a sale of Adams and in return we got a loan for Martinelli for the rest of the season, would you take it?

(assuming Adams and Martinelli earn the same and we get to retain the cash from Leeds for Adams)

It’s all very strange. Perhaps Ralph lost his Austrian calm & went all Osvaldo on Che for not scoring & Adams arrived to training with studs in his face?!

Something doesn’t add up but I’ll be happy if he was sold for an upgrade but there’s absolutely no guarantee of anything with our current board. We have yet to see this lauded effort behind-the-scenes but I’m sure some will froth at the mouth at the mere suggestion of cynicism based on behaviour. Try not to speculate or offer any conjecture as the forum ultras might set you on fire!! :rolleyes:

Hmm, probably not. We don’t bring in players on loan to not have to option / obligation to buy normally. Wouldn’t be surprised if this is the case if it is a loan

Of all the rumours going around, Che to a Leeds and the Arsenal kid to us could have some weight. Adams talk seems more than just a rumour due to the extent of coverage. It has been banded around the press a lot.

Heard that Nketiah is being recalled by Arsenal as Leeds weren’t giving him enough game time. Not new news.

But, could we off load Che to Leeds & bring in this Arsenal guy instead who could be better? He scored on the final day of the season for Arsenal and looks ready for a full season of first-team football, apparently. Southampton could offer him regular minutes at the top level so they are saying.

It could possibly be good business as the transfer chain is a triangle between Leeds, Saints & Arsenal. Nketiah is being recalled from Leeds & we would be reliant on Leeds taking Che and reliant on Arsenal loaning or selling us Nketiah. I would hope our club would have enough sense to not allow Che to go until the Arsenal player was guaranteed. This Arsenal guy sounds capable and just our kind of profile. We don’t often sign from PL clubs (Ings, Romeu, Bertrand, etc were which seems contradictory but the majority in recent years have been Scotland and Europe). Was Long signed when Hull were in the PL? Have a feeling they were championship but it was a long time ago.

The only concern for me about this is that he was brought in as a goalscorer NOT to assist others. We have plenty of more gifted players than Adams sitting on the bench who can do the assisting

If you apply that logic then Shane Long would have been sent packing years ago! Given the improved position the Club's in I'd like to see Ralph start Adams more often and bring Long on as the impact sub - then we would see if he can cash in among a more confident, better performing side.

It's probably just as per the quotes Ralph made in The DE last week about him 'not leaving on loan'. The only subtle get-out part of that is the word 'loan' I guess. If Leeds make a purchase offer then at least we can't go back to Ralph and say you said he wasn't leaving (full stop).

Link to article added:

https://www.dailyecho.co.uk/sport/18136061.southampton-boss-ralph-hasenhuttl-che-adams-staying/

Edited by Greenridge

This doesn't make any sense for either the club or Adams, I'd be massively surprised. Okay so he hasn't done it yet, what did we think we were getting for £15m? He's just come up from the Championship, into a team which has struggled up until a month ago. He needs time and confidence.

What on Earth is selling him for a loss after 6 months supposed to achieve? What other goal scorer are we getting for £15m? Perhaps we can stick the £10m on a 4-1 horse, then we'd have enough to buy a guaranteed goal scorer like Sebastian Haller or Cenk Tosun. Why would Adams go there, so he can dream of playing in the Premier League next season?

Succinct. The impatience of some on this forum amazes me. Give Che game time from the bench. His service to Ings was crucial against Leicester, and without that we would-be two points worse off. He's got goal drought. So have a good deal of talented and experienced footballers in the Premiership right now.. Even Bale was unimpressive when he first went to Tottenham from Saints. So be patient you supporters.

It's probably just as per the quotes Ralph made in The DE last week about him 'not leaving on loan'. The only subtle get-out part of that is the word 'loan' I guess. If Leeds make a purchase offer then at least we can't go back to Ralph and say you said he wasn't leaving (full stop).

Seemed a little more emphatic than that (prob due to my rose tinted specs)

Of all the rumours going around, Che to a Leeds and the Arsenal kid to us could have some weight. Adams talk seems more than just a rumour due to the extent of coverage. It has been banded around the press a lot.

Heard that Nketiah is being recalled by Arsenal as Leeds weren’t giving him enough game time. Not new news.

But, could we off load Che to Leeds & bring in this Arsenal guy instead who could be better? He scored on the final day of the season for Arsenal and looks ready for a full season of first-team football, apparently. Southampton could offer him regular minutes at the top level so they are saying.

It could possibly be good business as the transfer chain is a triangle between Leeds, Saints & Arsenal. Nketiah is being recalled from Leeds & we would be reliant on Leeds taking Che and reliant on Arsenal loaning or selling us Nketiah. I would hope our club would have enough sense to not allow Che to go until the Arsenal player was guaranteed. This Arsenal guy sounds capable and just our kind of profile. We don’t often sign from PL clubs (Ings, Romeu, Bertrand, etc were which seems contradictory but the majority in recent years have been Scotland and Europe). Was Long signed when Hull were in the PL? Have a feeling they were championship but it was a long time ago.

Not saying any of this is true . But let’s run with it if nketiah isn’t getting game time with Leeds but they want Adams instead it’s not exactly feeling like we are even on Leeds level of ambition with this move we would be given them a player they want and loaning one they don’t lol

Che Adams is not leaving Saints.

The correct move by Ralph. He'll be even more eager now to impress. If he has been promised more first team action, which the Mail is reporting, then expect to see an Ings/Adams combo for a while. (Which after his cameo against Leicester, I'm quite excited about.)

If he scores ten league goals between now and the end of the season, I'll get a tattoo of him on my butt. (This sentence is not legally binding). As good a foil as Long has been for Ings, let's not forget that his contract is out in the summer, and he's not exactly setting the world alight on the goalscoring front (and never will). IF Adams can start scoring, we'd have two strikers playing together that actually know where the goal is.

I still think Leeds will go for someone like Dwight Gayle.

The correct move by Ralph. He'll be even more eager now to impress. If he has been promised more first team action, which the Mail is reporting, then expect to see an Ings/Adams combo for a while. (Which after his cameo against Leicester, I'm quite excited about.)

If he scores ten league goals between now and the end of the season, I'll get a tattoo of him on my butt. (This sentence is not legally binding). As good a foil as Long has been for Ings, let's not forget that his contract is out in the summer, and he's not exactly setting the world alight on the goalscoring front (and never will). IF Adams can start scoring, we'd have two strikers playing together that actually know where the goal is.

Gayle has done his hamstring and Newcastle asking stupid obligation to buy fee apparently

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How refreshing to see a Daily Mail story that doesn't reference colour or religion, I didn't know they had it in them.

Perhaps the sports dept could have a word with the hate-peddling, immigrant-bashing, truth-dodging newsdesk bigots and find them a sensible path back to the mainstream media so they could once again be regarded as a serious attempt at a newspaper?

:)

Gayle has done his hamstring and Newcastle asking stupid obligation to buy fee apparently

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Apparently will be fit by the end of the month, but yes they are offering a free loan but the loaning club has to cover his large wages and pay them £20 million if they get promoted! I can't see it happening at that but maybe after some negotiation. He's guaranteed goals in the Championship. I'd have said Connor Wickham but I believe he's off to Wednesday.

Che Adams is not leaving Saints.

Good! I'm glad to hear this. Like I said before Che has all the tools to be very good in the PL. Just needed the time like Jay Rod did. That pass he laid on for Ingsy on Saturday was exquisite:) Once he gets that first goal he will be on a roll!

Not saying any of this is true . But let’s run with it if nketiah isn’t getting game time with Leeds but they want Adams instead it’s not exactly feeling like we are even on Leeds level of ambition with this move we would be given them a player they want and loaning one they don’t lol

To be fair, what I wrote there was a load of old sh*t. Too much football pondering and a long day at work. I’d rather Adam stayed and played and I really do think he’s turned a corner and we will see a much better second half of the season from him. I think Ralph has been a little inconsistent in how he manages the players because he favours someone and then suddenly drops them in the cold. A bit of consistency rather than one extreme to the other may help. Cutting Ralph some slack, he’s still relatively new to this country and league and he wasn’t well equipped for the season plus he is still learning, like many others.

Leeds don’t want him or Arsenal recalled him? For the record.

I originally thought Bielsa gave particular interest in having Adams at Leeds but after a bit of chatting and lunchtime surfing, I can clearly see Leeds are panicking. They tried to sign Billy Sharp FFS. We had the sense to get rid of him at this level. Nice chap that he is. Rhian Brewster from Liverpool inquiry before they looked at Adams. According to a friend they are also looking at McGoaldrought if Adams doesn’t come off. Laughable

I originally thought Bielsa gave particular interest in having Adams at Leeds but after a bit of chatting and lunchtime surfing, I can clearly see Leeds are panicking. They tried to sign Billy Sharp FFS. We had the sense to get rid of him at this level. Nice chap that he is. Rhian Brewster from Liverpool inquiry before they looked at Adams. According to a friend they are also looking at McGoaldrought if Adams doesn’t come off. Laughable
You know they're still in the championship right? We got rid of Sharp at this level correct, but we actually signed him 6 months before we got promoted which is exactly what they'd be doing.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

You know they're still in the championship right? We got rid of Sharp at this level correct, but we actually signed him 6 months before we got promoted which is exactly what they'd be doing.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

The difference being he is now in his mid thirties and looks like an impact sub even at Championship level.

The talk over Che Adams and Leeds Utd has been based on the various statement that Leeds have made. That was naturally picked up by the less reliable elements of the media and expanded into it being an almost done deal. Nothing could be further from the truth.

Che has not had the instant impact fans would have liked but that is understandable. It can take time to become integrated into a new team, especially when it's a team that has itself struggled to come to terms with a completely new system and the increased fitness levels required.

As the team develops and the system becomes more natural to players it is likely Che will hit form and the goals will come.