Newcastle 2-1 Saints reactions

Bad Wolf

Newcastle are going quite well at the moment so a Saints victory would have been a minor shock. A point would have been a decent return but it wasn't to be. Still, 7 points from the last 12 isn't bad and with some winnable (not loseable?) games coming up I'm fairly confident we can haul ourselves out of trouble.

Terrible result, but I think theres a massive knee jerk reaction again on here. Yes, we deserved to win that, but, that is a reason to be more optimistic for the season. We are playing a lot better recently. Just a small reshuffle for the next game (bye Cedric) maybe Boufal for Redmond and keep the onward progression going.

Get behind the team!

this.

we have a great chance next week....

Watford are at Liverpool

Bournemouth are at Chelsea

Norwich are at Leicester

Villa are at Sheff U

we are home to West Ham....

Four shock results and a home defeat for Saints then.......

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Unlucky to lose today IMO, two cr*p teams , one got the breaks the other one didn't. Cedric again getting stick, thought he did OK today overall. Gave away free kick that led (indirectly) to their equalier, but Carrolls speculative hoof cross could have gone anywhere, just happened to land on the onrushing Shelvys bonce, difficult to defend when the attacker has the momentum, McCarthy no chance. Don't think any of the lads played badly, Redders seems to have gone into his blind alley mode lately though. Long did his job as usual, particularly first half, won many headers from our long ball tactic, shame we couldn't build more effectively in their final 3rd. JWP good with dead ball delivery, becoming more reliable in that department. Ings clinical, a class act.

A frustrating defeat yes, but playing quite well lately given our limitations. West Ham massive now.

Forster was immense for Celtic. Bring him back now his confidence is high. Either that or swop him and Elyanoussi for Julien and Ajer. Give them a couple of centre backs as makeweight. Long was good defending in the air at the back, shame he let Carroll cross. JWP had a pretty good game from one of his biggest critics.

Edited by derry

Unlucky to lose today IMO, two cr*p teams , one got the breaks the other one didn't. Cedric again getting stick, thought he did OK today overall. Gave away free kick that led (indirectly) to their equalier, but Carrolls speculative hoof cross could have gone anywhere, just happened to land on the onrushing Shelvys bonce, difficult to defend when the attacker has the momentum, McCarthy no chance. Don't think any of the lads played badly, Redders seems to have gone into his blind alley mode lately though. Long did his job as usual, particularly first half, won many headers from our long ball tactic, shame we couldn't build more effectively in their final 3rd. JWP good with dead ball delivery, becoming more reliable in that department. Ings clinical, a class act.

A frustrating defeat yes, but playing quite well lately given our limitations. West Ham massive now.

Get back on message FFS. Cedric is sh!te, apparently, and should never wear the shirt again.

Performance was good, all the last 4 performances have been good and that is the main positive. Keep playing like that we will win games, our lack of taking chances and leaky defence will stop us winning more of course but we'll win enough I reckon.

Newcastle are honestly sh*te and I'd rather go down than play like them.

A few key additions in January and we could be very positive about the 2nd half of the season I reckon, no additions and it'll be much like this, win some games, lose and draw ones we should win and we'll still be in the relegation mix but probably ok in the end I reckon.

Alright then, so what has he done decently in games for Saints for the last few years?

If he hadn't done anything 'decent' in the 'last few years', he wouldn't still be at the club, let alone being played. He has been our starting RB since Koeman signed him, and set up a goal for Graziano Pelle on his Premier League debut.

Get back on message FFS. Cedric is sh!te, apparently, and should never wear the shirt again.

Oh yeah, forgot. My bad. The game I just watched must have been a dream. Cedric is the bad apple amongst the golden orchard of the current SFC squad.

I thought he tried hard today, supporting well in attack and a good effort on goal. Our potential replacements are little better, apparently...

One of those teams will secure a shock result. We’ll blow our big chance, again...

When did we last beat West Ham at home? They love coming to St Mary's, have won down here loads of times.

I f*cking hate Newcastle away, terrible away end stuck up in the Gods, never seems to be on a Saturday 3pm, we always gift them goals, bl00dy Andy Carroll always does for us.

My honest opinion, still think this Saints side will go down.

Anyone else wonder why RH would take Ings off when we need to get a goal?! #madness

For this one game in isolation, madness, sure.

But for a player that we’re absolutely reliant on for goals, with three games in a week and already having felt a twinge that he was taken off for in the game on Wednesday, I can understand him being cautious in trying to avoid losing him for longer, especially with his injury history.

I don't think it was a poor performance. Same old mistakes. Ralph didn't know how to adjust to their changes. When our tactic becomes sit deep and hit long balls to Long you know you are in trouble.

And RH does it virtually every game. Predicable. And very poor tactics.

The club needs to invest in some experience at CB

Couldnt agree more. I was very dismissive of us signing Cahill (mostly due to his wage demands) but a quality, experienced CB (if they exist) is exactly what we need. Thejr leadership and organisation would help us see out games more easily. Bednarek would also benefit with that experience beside him. No surprise he plays his better for the national team with Kamil Glik alongside him. Yoshida is our most experienced CB which says it all

Couldnt agree more. I was very dismissive of us signing Cahill (mostly due to his wage demands) but a quality, experienced CB (if they exist) is exactly what we need. Thejr leadership and organisation would help us see out games more easily. Bednarek would also benefit with that experience beside him. No surprise he plays his better for the national team with Kamil Glik alongside him. Yoshida is our most experienced CB which says it all
Jonny Evans 3.5mil from West Brom to Leicester City is probably one of the best bits of business during the transfer window. We need a couple like that.

Sent from my SM-T590 using Tapatalk

We need some sort of Duncan Ferguson effect. A proper rocket up the players arses. Most of them look like they are 70-80% committed. Cedric about 20%. For gods sake, the man doesn't even want to be in a Saints shirt! He shouldn't be anywhere near the first team.

Geordie in peace

Christ, feels like popping by for a chat after I just nicked your telly.

How we weren't comfortably beaten before halftime is a mystery. Yes you were a bit profligate, but we showed nothing. Same as the Sheffield game. Big Andy changed things because he's actually a targetman that fits the system, rather than Joelinton who is a decent forward, but has never in his life been the big man up front kind of striker. He needs to be playing as part of a two or three. When Ings put you ahead I was convinced we'd see another goal or two without reply.

Didn't deserve 3 points, and if we keep turning in performances like that we'll lose more often than not.

Hope this doesn't come off condescending or owt, but just wanted to confirm what you already knew, you were robbed.

Have only seen highlights but looked to me as if the game was list more through missed chances than defensive errors.

Redmond had two good chances. A bit more composure in the one on one and he should have scored. But he wasn't the only culprit. Their keeper made a couple of good saves too.

Stephens was outjumped (or misjudged the cross) for the first but in fairness it was a great cross and header. Really needed pressure on the cross. Yes, McCarthy was at fault for the second, but it was awkward - bounced in front of him and may have got a deflection. He's still our best keeper.

Obviously disappointing but essential to be positive about the overall performance. We never do well at SJP which makes it all the more frustrating to come away with nothing. We should have got at least a point. Keep a settled team (with Boufal and Armstrong options) for two critical games coming up against the teams immediately above us. Minimum of four points from those, please.

Thank you. Good to have a well balanced point of view on here for once.

This is exactly why we have to take our chances when they come then there would be no need to moan about individual players letting us down defensively.

When a defender makes a mistake it may lead to a goal against, an attacker misses an easy chance (aka makes a mistake) that should have been a goal for yet somehow it is just written off on here as one of those things. If we scored more goals we wouldn't need to hang on and panic under pressure

Why don't the boo boys have a go at the strikers for a change?

He has No clue how to manage games. To make subs. To waste time. To keep attacking when he goes into his shell and tries to defend without the personnel needed. Really think he's clueless. But we'll stay with him so have to hope the recruitment is spot on in January. Profligate players like Redmond sum us up at the moment. No end product, flattering to deceive, and ultimately too flimsy for the league he's in. We need some spine !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is exactly why we have to take our chances when they come then there would be no need to moan about individual players letting us down defensively.

When a defender makes a mistake it may lead to a goal against, an attacker misses an easy chance (aka makes a mistake) that should have been a goal for yet somehow it is just written off on here as one of those things. If we scored more goals we wouldn't need to hang on and panic under pressure

To be fair, Long gets plenty of stick. The basic problem is that you can miss plenty of chances but still get a point. As soon as you concede a goal you have to score at least 1 to get anything out of a game. We do score goals but we don’t keep clean sheets.

If he hadn't done anything 'decent' in the 'last few years', he wouldn't still be at the club, let alone being played. He has been our starting RB since Koeman signed him, and set up a goal for Graziano Pelle on his Premier League debut.

That’s it? That’s all you could come up with? I gave you a big canvas to wax lyrical about all his good points and you give me, “he must be decent because he plays in the team and assisted on a Pelle goal many moons ago”.

He’s like that guy at work who never seems to do anything useful, just exists there. No one is really sure how he hasn’t been fired or who hired him. “He must do something, he’d be fired if he didn’t” but here we are, he’s making a new pot of coffee and refilling his stapler then walking around with a piece of paper to look busy then disappearing for a while on his break.

To be fair, Long gets plenty of stick. The basic problem is that you can miss plenty of chances but still get a point. As soon as you concede a goal you have to score at least 1 to get anything out of a game. We do score goals but we don’t keep clean sheets.

They're both worth one goal. Missing two easy chances is the same as conceding two goals, the problem is we do both. At least we are creating the chances to miss now, which is not something we could have said against Bournemouth, Spurs or Leicester for e.g.

Hope this doesn't come off condescending or owt, but just wanted to confirm what you already knew, you were robbed.

We tend to get robbed a lot. Perhaps if we didn't leave our wallets, phones and iPads in the middle of a car park on a rough council estate every weekend, it wouldn't happen.

That’s it? That’s all you could come up with? I gave you a big canvas to wax lyrical about all his good points and you give me, “he must be decent because he plays in the team and assisted on a Pelle goal many moons ago”.

He’s like that guy at work who never seems to do anything useful, just exists there. No one is really sure how he hasn’t been fired or who hired him. “He must do something, he’d be fired if he didn’t” but here we are, he’s making a new pot of coffee and refilling his stapler then walking around with a piece of paper to look busy then disappearing for a while on his break.

No, you are right. Let's just slag off the entire effing team. It's a damned sight easier than actually supporting them. Cedric is just the latest in a long line of players to have been selected as a target for abuse. I presume that Jack Stephens has been fully reinstated as an acceptable member of the squad, as Cedric seems to have taken his place as the scape goat of choice. ( Ironically, there is the suggestion above that perhaps we should actually play JS at right back ).

No, you are right. Let's just slag off the entire effing team. It's a damned sight easier than actually supporting them. Cedric is just the latest in a long line of players to have been selected as a target for abuse. I presume that Jack Stephens has been fully reinstated as an acceptable member of the squad, as Cedric seems to have taken his place as the scape goat of choice. ( Ironically, there is the suggestion above that perhaps we should actually play JS at right back ).

I’m not slagging off the entire team. I just don’t see what Cedric brings. I’d rather not have Long in the starting lineup but I can see what he brings. Cedric is not very good, I’m sorry, I’d love him to be good, but he just isn’t. Teams often overload the left because they know they’ll get an easy time against him. Is it too much to ask that we have a RB that can pass, cross, tackle and clear the lines?

Good points. I've been saying for years we need a goal scoring target man. A Pelle replacement. It would lift the whole team.

Note to Shane Long: "goal scoring".

Geordie in peace

Christ, feels like popping by for a chat after I just nicked your telly.

How we weren't comfortably beaten before halftime is a mystery. Yes you were a bit profligate, but we showed nothing. Same as the Sheffield game. Big Andy changed things because he's actually a targetman that fits the system, rather than Joelinton who is a decent forward, but has never in his life been the big man up front kind of striker. He needs to be playing as part of a two or three. When Ings put you ahead I was convinced we'd see another goal or two without reply.

Didn't deserve 3 points, and if we keep turning in performances like that we'll lose more often than not.

Cheers Fish (although you may need to rethink that name on this forum, we're not keen on a certain type of fish). Despite the depressing negative posts here I thought we played ok, and no one had a bad game (yes, including Cedric). If we'd got a deserved draw or win it would probably be all peaches and roses here.

I dont have any ill will against Cedric at all, think he's played well for us in the past and he did well in the Euros. But for the last 2 years he's been really crap for us, definitely. Yesterday again. Trouble is Valery's been even worse lately and while a good prospect isn't ready to do it every week in the Prem. Balls.

Nah, Stephens was ****e as well. His pathetic header teed up the chance for Cedric to do his van Damme impression, which all led to the first goal.

Cedric is just the latest in a long line of players to have been selected as a target for abuse.

So, so silly. No, Cedric is being criticised ("abuse" give me a break) because he is playing ****e. Consistently.

I presume that Jack Stephens has been fully reinstated as an acceptable member of the squad

Ummm, no. As he is also playing ****e. Consistently.

It's not rocket science really. It's not as if fans want to find terrible players to slag off, it's just if they're terrible then people are going to point it out. Is that alright or should we ban all types of criticism in society?

Oh yeah, forgot. My bad. The game I just watched must have been a dream. Cedric is the bad apple amongst the golden orchard of the current SFC squad.

I thought he tried hard today, supporting well in attack and a good effort on goal. Our potential replacements are little better, apparently...

Love it cedric did ok.... its the lack of clinical finishes that also play a part in our dreadful results....should have equalised way back in the Liverpool game but missed a sitter.

And more recently how did we not finish Arsenal off or score at least another 1 possibly 2 against a very poor Watford, and yesterday against Newcastle at least 2 golden chances to put the game beyond ,but no were not like that anymore are we?

so its not all doom and gloom just gloom...!

I can only assume you are one of our youngest fans because this quote is somewhat misreading history! This decade has seen back to back promotions, European football, cup finals and semi finals and no relegation.

I fear you may be in for a more rocky road if you watch us for any length of time!

Back to today, we have paid the price for missed chances in a match that we were much the better team. Brush ourselves down and move on to Wet Spam

Ha, I wish! Nah been a long time sufferer since '89, my teens tainted with the relegation battles of the 90s. I didn't mean the 2010s as a whole, but the tail end of them and the general degradation of the first team into perennial relegation battles from poor signings. At least in the 90's we had MLT, and going into the Noughties there was the promise of a new ground, MLT and an upturn in league status under Hoddle. 2020+ seems like a fresh start, of course it all depends on our finishing position this season.

I look at our fixture list at the tail end of this season and we have 3 winnable games - that fills me with a little bit of confidence going into the new year, even if we are in the relegation zone heading towards them.

He has No clue how to manage games. To make subs. To waste time. To keep attacking when he goes into his shell and tries to defend without the personnel needed. Really think he's clueless. But we'll stay with him so have to hope the recruitment is spot on in January. Profligate players like Redmond sum us up at the moment. No end product, flattering to deceive, and ultimately too flimsy for the league he's in. We need some spine !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I can happily disagree with pretty well all of that. Yes, Ralph has lost his way a bit, thanks to losing his #2, but I still rate him and we're getting back to how he wants to play.