Newcastle 2-1 Saints reactions

Bad Wolf

Failure to make possession and chances count, coupled with an unlucky deflection. Where were the defenders on our left side for their second goal, covering the Newcastle players following up the shot ? And I don't get the vitriol aimed at Cedric for the freekick that led to their first, he tried to clear the ball and was unaware of the player closing him down from behind. I'm not sure it should even have been a freekick.

Why? Because he let the ball bounce when he could have attacked it. The guy is simply shocking and should never be pulling on the Saints shirt.

Don't know why but I'm not that annoyed. The better team lost, plenty of winnable games left.

Which we won’t win enough of because we’re so f*cking weak at the back and cant take our chances.

You don’t have to play well to beat us, just stay in the game and wait for the mistakes to come.

We may as well play every game to 85 minutes then stop and add one to the opposition score, it is so inevitable that we will concede at the death. Every team we play knows Saints will capitulate in the last minutes. All they have to do is get the ball in the box. Frankly it is becoming so boring seeing this in every game. This is three points thrown away YET AGAIN.

We have 3 goalkeeping coaches, just think about that for a minute, let it digest.

And it seems that none of them have taught the keepers to save the ball ,everything is either parried or punched ,they are the only players ALLOWED TO HANDLE the ball,ffs so ****ing frustrating .

We are so easy to knock out of our own fragile low confidence its cringworthy............so many weak players who dont stand up for their teamates. Well frustrated again and just think we were so comfortable you

just knew there was an error or two in them.

Well. Here we go again,if only,if only. If only we had a decent right back and a competent mid field leader.

I live in hope.

Exasperating isnt it i feel your pain aswell mate.So infuriatingly annoying ,to top it all my workmates a Toon fan they barely did anything of note and we squander too many opertuntites......AGAIN.

Normal service resumed. Miss clear chances + make defensive mistakes = defeat. Without Ings we would be screwed. Hope that article a while back about chasing a new RB and CB was accurate. Cedric and Stephens arent even championship level defenders. Redmond needs a spell on the bench

Terrible result, but I think theres a massive knee jerk reaction again on here. Yes, we deserved to win that, but, that is a reason to be more optimistic for the season. We are playing a lot better recently. Just a small reshuffle for the next game (bye Cedric) maybe Boufal for Redmond and keep the onward progression going.

Get behind the team!

I tend to agree with this. It's massively frustrating to lose this type of game, but it is positive that our performances have definitely picked up in the last four games.

I personally think what we need to focus on to turn this type of game into points is being more clinical with the chances we get. Our problems at the other end can't really be fixed until we can change the personnel at the back in my opinion. This set of players just don't have the skills to see out games with a 1 goal lead. So we need to put teams away by taking more of our chances. I think this can be done with a small improvement in confidence and performance from the likes of Redmond and Djenepo who are both capable of getting goals at this level.

Sent from my moto g(7) play using Tapatalk

Not a bad performance overall. Mcarthy gives me the willies with his kamikazi coming out. The second goal was poor from him. I think we are far better when not passing back. When we put the ball into the channels as happened with our goal it is much more effective. Mcarthy is poor at distribution and gets us into trouble often having to kick under pressure when it comes back to him. He needs to cut out the so called clever stuff and stick the high kick into the opponents defence.

As happened the other night I take issue with Long, he spoilt another hard working game for me. He cleared the ball out to our left, chased it down then stood off Carrol and let him cross. He had stopped like he did for the Norwich goal. If he had piled on in after the ball and closed Carrol down to a yard showing the line on his wrong foot he wouldnt have been able to cross. Too many times players are making bad decisions at critical moments. They have to be ruthless and stop players rather than take an "it'll be alright I don't need to, I'll just stand off".

Cedric again got us into trouble before the second goal, instead of putting the ball up to the forwards he passed back, eventually to Mcarthy whose clearance wasn't the best straight to an opponent, Newcastle then got forward getting a free kick.

Other than that it was a pretty good team performance spoilt by some poor decision making. We are not ruthless enough.

Edited by derry

But he isn't, and he will. If he had manged to put his shot 2 feet either side of their keeper and into the net, would he still be shocking ?

He didn’t though did he? Straight at the keeper like almost all of his shots.

Almost all of his crosses go miles over the heads of the strikers.

Gets caught out of position time and time again.

Beaten in the air time and time again.

He’s beyond bad. Wish we’d just be shot if the hopeless **** for good. Cost us do many points in these last 3 years.

Edited by OttawaSaint

I’ve been watching Leicester carve through Villa like butter and I think, back under Koeman, if we had really pushed on, that could have been us.

Now we’re throwing away games and points like they don’t matter and are struggling to keep our heads above water. Bring on the 2020s and whatever it throws at us, I’m done with the 2010s.

I can only assume you are one of our youngest fans because this quote is somewhat misreading history! This decade has seen back to back promotions, European football, cup finals and semi finals and no relegation.

I fear you may be in for a more rocky road if you watch us for any length of time!

Back to today, we have paid the price for missed chances in a match that we were much the better team. Brush ourselves down and move on to Wet Spam

He’s beyond bad. Wish we’d just be shot if the hopeless **** for good. Cost us do many points in these last 3 years.

So, as far as I can work out, so far this season, at some point or another, we need to have got shot of and replaced, or at least dropped for the forseeable future;

Macca/Gunn

Cedric, Stephens, Yoshi, Bertrand

Hojbjerg, JWP, Romeu

Redmond

Long

( and probably one or two more ).

I never want to see Cedric on the pitch again. Genuinely one of the worst Saints' players I've ever seen at top flight level and that is some achievement. How anyone thinks he's good is anybody's guess.

It's not that he's good, it's that the alternative - Valery - is appalling. Did you not see the 0-9? Wouldn't have even gotten a game for a Tyro League u10s on that performance.

Sent from my F3311 using Tapatalk

Same old ****e. Just knew we'd throw it away with 10 mins to go.

Anyone know how many points we've dropped from a leading position this season?

1-0 up vs Wolves, finished 1-1

1-0 up vs City, lost 2-1 (87 minute)

2-1 up vs Arsenal, drew 2-2 (90+6 minute)

1-0 up today, lost 2-1 (85 minute)

Not to mention:

1-1 vs 10 man Spurs, lost 2-1

1-1 vs Everton, lost 2-1

****ed about today, but we’d be happy with 6 points from 9 a week ago. Those wins were so important and should mean our transfer window is focused on staying up rather than planning for the Championship. Another win against West Ham or Villa would be very welcome though.

The future ain't quite so bright I gotta wear shades but it would have been a darn site bleaker had we not won those 2 matches. We're firmly in the mix for survival and performance standards have taken a significant upturn. Still FURIOUS we lost that today though.

Commentators said that if you exclude own goals, the last 13 goals scored by Saints have been by Englishmen. The last time a team had such a streak was also 13 goals and also Southampton.

I don’t remember any o.gs and a quick count I get 14 (last non Englishman goal was Cedric vs P#mp&y).

Edited by OttawaSaint

Have only seen highlights but looked to me as if the game was list more through missed chances than defensive errors.

Redmond had two good chances. A bit more composure in the one on one and he should have scored. But he wasn't the only culprit. Their keeper made a couple of good saves too.

Stephens was outjumped (or misjudged the cross) for the first but in fairness it was a great cross and header. Really needed pressure on the cross. Yes, McCarthy was at fault for the second, but it was awkward - bounced in front of him and may have got a deflection. He's still our best keeper.

Obviously disappointing but essential to be positive about the overall performance. We never do well at SJP which makes it all the more frustrating to come away with nothing. We should have got at least a point. Keep a settled team (with Boufal and Armstrong options) for two critical games coming up against the teams immediately above us. Minimum of four points from those, please.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

The future ain't quite so bright I gotta wear shades but it would have been a darn site bleaker had we not won those 2 matches. We're firmly in the mix for survival and performance standards have taken a significant upturn. Still FURIOUS we lost that today though.

Yeah, sounds like we’re in a similar mindset. We simply have to get 3 / 4 points (preferably the game against Villa) or things will start to look very worrying again very quickly. Conversely, another 2 wins and it could look great!

Mrs JBS had nodded off watching the Villa Foxes game (she has been busy making John Boy towers look festive) while we were 1-1 - she woke up after the final whistle and asked “did it finish as a draw?”. “Nope we lost” the FFS! from her had a tone of it being hardly a surprise..........followed by “glad I’m going out next Saturday night and missing West Ham, going to have far more fun than you are watching that shower.”.

Same old same old.

Can't put enough of our chances away when on top, always liable to concede at the back.

Sent from my moto g(7) play using Tapatalk

That is the nub of the problem and has been for three seasons now under three different managers. The board must be idiots.

It's not that he's good, it's that the alternative - Valery - is appalling. Did you not see the 0-9? Wouldn't have even gotten a game for a Tyro League u10s on that performance.

Sent from my F3311 using Tapatalk

kinda agree, i dont trust valery at all. his dribbling is getting quite good but theres something very nonchalant and naive about his defending

Plus points;

- Saints were by far the better team

- I don't think we'll go down

- Ings is quality as are most (more on that in the negatives) of the others

- 2 winnable games coming up and Saints will never win 5 in a row (I'll take 2 wins, a loss and 2 wins)

- It was Newcastle away, a proper bogey ground, hate it

- When the team break, they do look dangerous

Negatives;

- Cedric is utter sh*t, must get rid and get a quality right back in Jan

- Need a centre back as well

- Should've scored 3 in the first half when on top to make sure Newcastle didn't come out rejuvenated as they did

- Subs were weird

- As much as I like Long, I'm not sure the team can carry someone up front with no end product

- Coaching team still needs some help / overhaul

- The goalkeeping ...

There are certain players Saints just cannot play against, regardless of who’s in the team.

Andy Carroll is one of them. Lukaku is another.

Previously it was Dion Dublin and Tomas Radzinski.

I just don’t get it. It’s utterly predictable. Carroll changed the game when he came on and we all knew he would.

There are certain players Saints just cannot play against, regardless of who’s in the team.

Andy Carroll is one of them. Lukaku is another.

Previously it was Dion Dublin and Tomas Radzinski.

I just don’t get it. It’s utterly predictable. Carroll changed the game when he came on and we all knew he would.

Michael Bridges

Robert Pires

Ian Wright

Robin Van Persie

Edited by OttawaSaint