Jim Smith RIP

VectisSaint

Not remembered with much fondness I know but Bald Eagle has died. Chatted to him in the lift at St Mary's just as the Norwich games was kicking off the year we went down, I was late and was surprised he was not down on the Bench. Tainted by Redkrapp association, but well respected in the game.

Sad news and no hard feelings from the Harry times. IIRC was interviewed for the Saints job either when Lawrie Mac left or when Nicholl was sacked and didn’t get it. If Branfoot got it ahead of him what can you say other than Askham truly was the Les Reed of his era.

His sides played good football and was a regular top flight manager in the 80s. One of the best managers the skates had as well. Went a bit south at Derby and tended to be working with Harry later on although not after he shafted him a bit really when SFC went down.

Always came across as a decent bloke and a "proper football man" who tried to get his teams playing the right way.

Shame about the Skate connection, but despite that never disliked him.

Sad news and no hard feelings from the Harry times. IIRC was interviewed for the Saints job either when Lawrie Mac left or when Nicholl was sacked and didn’t get it. If Branfoot got it ahead of him what can you say other than Askham truly was the Les Reed of his era.

Yes I remember reading about that, I think it was in an interview when he first arrived as HR's assistant. Think the story was he'd been interviewed and the Saints board were delaying making a decision - sound familiar - so he took another job on offer, if it was QPR then that would be 1985 after Lawrie left.

Another Jim Smith story that is Saints related is that as Birmingham manager at the time he tried to talk Lawrie out of signing Mark Dennis, story reported that he told LM 'as a friend I'd say stay clear..' .Glad Lawrie didn't listen to him.

Will we ever say “shame about his Portsmouth connection” when talking about the likes of Channon, Stokes, Golac?

It’s ridiculous - rivalry pales into significance.

No because they were more ours. Football rivalry is part of the game and knowing what an 'old school' football man Jim Smith was (though I never met him) he'd have probably embraced this too. Dunno why some people have to get all high and mighty about tongue in cheek comments.

No because they were more ours. Football rivalry is part of the game and knowing what an 'old school' football man Jim Smith was (though I never met him) he'd have probably embraced this too. Dunno why some people have to get all high and mighty about tongue in cheek comments.

On a thread about someone's death. Stay classy, instant classy.

Harry and Jim are red and white ...

Wasn't he also manager at Blackburn in 1978 when 2 saints were sent off and Bailey started to be booed??

RIP. A good football man.

He was but that was in our 1977-78 promotion season - Here's a sad mind for you Bonfire night 5th Nov 1977 - turned out to be Peter Osgoods last game for us lost 2-1 (we got them back in the return fixture 5-0!).

Without doubt a a good footballing man - what he did at Oxford United was pretty impressive with successive promotions as back to back Champions from (old money) Division 3 to the 1st Division.

RIP

Harry and Jim are red and white ...

Wasn't he also manager at Blackburn in 1978 when 2 saints were sent off and Bailey started to be booed??

RIP. A good football man.

The Arry and Jim Derby was the game that made me invest in my first season ticket and got me going to saints games regularly! Rip jim