Saints v West Ham - Match Thread

St Chalet

I wish they would. That was appalling and it’s definitely at his door

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Disagree to lay this entirely with Ralph. Club is rotten from the top, mismanaged, p!ss poor recruitment over three seasons, and he's working with a rag-tag assortment of coaches assembled by others.

Of course we'd like to know more about Rohl's departure and whether this was down to him, but we probably won't get to the bottom of that.

How did we manage to stock pile so many s**** CBs? Another masterclass from Stephens and Bednarek, dominated by an unfit Antonio and **** poor Haller. Honestly need two CBs in Jan, the club will likely sign none. Cedric and Hojbjerg can do one too

Les Reed.

I wish they would. That was appalling and it’s definitely at his door

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Starting to think the same tbh. Tactically he has been found out, selection wise he has been found out, not a good combo for a manager.

Yes the team at his disposal is poor, but I have seen managers get decent performances out of mediocrity in the past and get results. There are too many players who are having long runs in the side whilst regularly playing poorly, not good.

Given Saints position there's virtually no chance that any quality players will be coming to St Mary's in the transfer window. We are most definitely one the worst 3 sides in the league. Porous defence and struggling to score will result in relegation I reckon.

How did we manage to stock pile so many s**** CBs? Another masterclass from Stephens and Bednarek, dominated by an unfit Antonio and **** poor Haller. Honestly need two CBs in Jan, the club will likely sign none. Cedric and Hojbjerg can do one too

Its not just a center back we need.

We need a dynamic midfielder who could break the opposition lines with his passing.

I would even prioritize this in front of a center back. We need to link the midfield and the attack but we are not doing it today as our midfielder just pass it back half the time or give the ball away.

This is our most urgent pressing problem.

Normally Hojbjerg should be doing this but his passing is utterly crap

We just look so physically weak all over the pitch. PEH looked like he won a competition to play. Atrocious.

Thinking the same.

These are professional athletes? Where is the strength? Fitness? Desire? Fight? We're a team of kittens.

Ralph's idea to play a Hojbjerg/Ward-Prowse midfield was always going to end in tears. Romeu one of the few bright spots in an awful performance. Trusting in Long to start multiple games has also been a bad decision by Ralph. Saints do look like a Championship side.

We just look so physically weak all over the pitch. PEH looked like he won a competition to play. Atrocious.

Exactly what I was thinking, very few natural athletes in the side, over run, bullied by West Ham physically, just not good enough.

Starting to think the same tbh. Tactically he has been found out, selection wise he has been found out, not a good combo for a manager.

Yes the team at his disposal is poor, but I have seen managers get decent performances out of mediocrity in the past and get results. There are too many players who are having long runs in the side whilst regularly playing poorly, not good.

To be replaced by others who have routinely proven not to be up to it either.

Accept that Romeu may be a better selection than PEH, although Romeu is critiscised after a couple of games for lack of mobility. Defensively, I wonder why Yoshida doesn't get a run but again after a couple of games theres a costly mistake. Ditto Vestergaard, although his mistake could be costly and within the first match. Redmond, yes, I'd agree his selection seems to be based on the vague hope he recaptures the form from last season, the one and only season in his career he's shown any form.

Looked like a poor attendance. Says a lot when we can't fill our (relatively small) ground for a crunch relegation game when we're supposed to be finding our form.

Tells me the punters know this team just isn't good enough to win games.

Ings fantastic, Djenepo dangerous (but can't do anything without the ball), Romeu commanding when he came in, McCarthy actually pretty solid apart from silly kick at the end...whole back line poor today...Hojberg just not good enough, sooooo bad today but can't sub the captain heh...Long pointless...subs way too late...where was Boufal?

Looked like a poor attendance. Says a lot when we can't fill our (relatively small) ground for a crunch relegation game when we're supposed to be finding our form.

Anybody paying to watch this turd of a team needs their head examined. I might turn up if they sold tickets for a fiver, which is about all they could justify currently.

Edited by Plastic

I'm embarrassed to be a Saints fan. Beyond pathetic today.

It's been like this before.

Only saving grace is that if you support a proper club then it's days like these that make the victories and success all the sweeter. Not a great crumb of comfort in the here and now though.

Could be worse - imagine losing 4-1 away to Accrington Stanley.

With the exception of Danny Ings and possibly Djenepo the rest of them can just **** off.

If Ralph seriously believes this “settled team” is good enough he’s got a screw loose.

Romeu got some accolades tonight, the same player who was getting slagged off prior to his dropping. Our subs are no better than the 11 on the pitch and struggle to make an impact. Boufal has been injured. Armstrong injured. Bottom line is we have a squad of poor players and no manager is going to effectively change that unless he is supported by the club in the transfer windows. Like we have done with Danso and Adams. That’s the level of support Ralph gets!

Long pointless...subs way too late...where was Boufal?

Foot injury, so I hear.

WH were too strong for us, defended better than us, better going forward. Thought Romeu improved us.

I remember Antonio playing for us on the wing (in League 1?). At the time he was young and the general consensus was that he had pace but not enough skill or strength. What an improvement. Shame he couldn't have done it through our coaching system.

The players are mostly crap, and thats the primary season we are struggling.

There is nobody not playing who is available and definitely better than the player ahead of them.

In some areas of the pitch we are woefully short of PL level and you get exposed.

Fact is that none of our current players would have made our team 4 years ago and very few even the bench.

Thats the problem.

The players are mostly crap, and thats the primary season we are struggling.

There is nobody not playing who is available and definitely better than the player ahead of them.

In some areas of the pitch we are woefully short of PL level and you get exposed.

Fact is that none of our current players would have made our team 4 years ago and very few even the bench.

Thats the problem.

Nail on head.

It's been like this before.

Only saving grace is that if you support a proper club then it's days like these that make the victories and success all the sweeter. Not a great crumb of comfort in the here and now though.

Could be worse - imagine losing 4-1 away to Accrington Stanley.

Probably won't be long before this bunch would be doing that. Whatever happens, and it's odds on we will get relegated, we need to completely clear out this bunch of hopeless ****s at the end of the season. Only Ings, Romeu and possibly Djenepo (who was a passenger first half) really should escape. Everyone else can **** right off.

Ralph's idea to play a Hojbjerg/Ward-Prowse midfield was always going to end in tears. Romeu one of the few bright spots in an awful performance. Trusting in Long to start multiple games has also been a bad decision by Ralph. Saints do look like a Championship side.

Yep, both needed to be replaced in the summer now they seem to be our main midfielders now, no wonder we dont have any sort of creativity down the center.

Pretty much this, aside from Ings. The only other players who would get in our side 4 years ago are ones who were here already, and even then it’s touch and go aside from Bertrand.

Its not just a center back we need.

We need a dynamic midfielder who could break the opposition lines with his passing.

I would even prioritize this in front of a center back. We need to link the midfield and the attack but we are not doing it today as our midfielder just pass it back half the time or give the ball away.

This is our most urgent pressing problem.

Normally Hojbjerg should be doing this but his passing is utterly crap

Agreed that we need that kind of player but CB to me is the priority. If Stephens and Bednarek had done the basics right we would have picked up a point. Can say that so many times this season. Take the goal for example - Bednarek came steaming across and got turned by Antonio and then once the cross comes in Stephens doesnt recognise that Haller had dropped off and allowed an easy shot. And in possession the less said the better!!

There have some pretty bad performances at SMS over the past 3 seasons and this up with the worst of them.

Even with VAR in our favour we were woeful.

West Ham arent a great side but were in a different League to us, which will be the case next season.

I'm not sure this side would do well in the Championship and without Ings, Ward Prowse (who isnt the greatest but did OK today) Bertrand and Romeu we would struggle to make the top 6.

I have been a Saints fan longer than most but this team reminds me of the dark days of Branfoot.

Dark times and I can fully understand why very few people are daft enough to buy a ticket for home games.

Us season ticket holders have to sit and suffer

Agreed that we need that kind of player but CB to me is the priority. If Stephens and Bednarek had done the basics right we would have picked up a point. Can say that so many times this season. Take the goal for example - Bednarek came steaming across and got turned by Antonio and then once the cross comes in Stephens doesnt recognise that Haller had dropped off and allowed an easy shot. And in possession the less said the better!!

It was quite clear where we were weakntoday, CM. PEH and JWP absolutely hopeless, at least Romeu made things better. Our CBs weren't great today, Bednarek especially was woeful, but they weren't the cause of our failing to score and losing. We desparately need to improve midfield, average CBs can be good enough if there is talent in front of them. A decent keeper would help as well.