Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Villa v Saints build-up

Default Villa v Saints build-up

Villa seem to get a fair amount of plaudits but they've still lost a lot of games. Not sure whether they'll push on to safety or slump really.

But if we lose this, personally I think that's probably it. We might come back and make a fight of it, but I still think we'd go down.

Hoping he doesn't stick with the same team. I think we need Armstrong in games like this. If Boufal is fit, play him, but I'll assume not. Vesterguard is terrible, but I'm still not buying him being worse than Stephens.

McCarthy
    Valery Vesterguard Bednarek Bertrand
    JWP Romeu Armstrong Djenepo
    Long Ings

We're just good enough. This is another game which will ram that home, an utterly **** season again.

Inferior sides get results against better sides all the time. That's why it's a good sport. Villa are better than us in some areas and weaker in others. I think it'll be a draw.

Hard to get excited for any Saints game these days. Will likely be more of the same error-strewn dirge that they've been serving up for god know how long. Even when we win we are so monumentally ****e and frustrating to watch. I'll likely tiue in in the misplaced hope that somehow we will be better and most likely will be red with rage by the end. Oh well.

Naively I would get excited if we could actually play Boufal/Ings/Djenepo in the same attack, ideally with Armstrong supporting from midfield.

It's a potentially good attack IMO. It just needs two decent CMs behind it and we don't really have one.

Still, we're only a keeper, a back 4 and 2 CMs away from having a decent side

McCarthy

Valery
    Yoshida
    Bednarek
    Bertrand

Romeu
    Armstrong
    JwP

Boufal
    Djenepo

Ings

it wont be though, our idiot manager will go into it with Redmond, Hoj, Long...442 and we will get demolished in midfield (again)
    3-1 to villa

I'd like to see Yoshida back in, with Valery and Boufal if fit.

Think he will probably go with the same back 4 though, which he may think it's better keeping some continuity rather than switching all the time.

Anyone received their tickets through for this yet?!

McCarthy
    Valery Vestergaard Bednarek Bertrand
    JWP,Romeu,Armstrong
    Djenepo, Ings, Boufal

Vestergaard or Danso at CB for me next to Bednarek. No chance he'll drop Hojbjerg but would love to see it. Need to mark Grealish out of the game.

Need to ditch the 4-2-2-2 as our central midfield two aren't quick enough for that formation. Think if we play two in midfield up against McGinn and Grealish we'll get torn apart.

Adams in for Boufal if hes not fully fit.

10. Default

Quote Originally Posted by LGTL View Post
    A couple of weeks ago.

433 for me. Get Redmond, Hojbjerg and Bednarek out of the team!!

Hopefully we scout them this time as Ralph was surprised by the tactics West Ham used. Use the Subs wisely and not too late. Give Adams a better chance off the bench aswell

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

12. Default

Yeah ages ago, but fick knows where i've put them

Not me.

Whoops, correction. Senior moment: put it away then forgot.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Also got mine - did you actually buy them in the first place? Not so long ago I was getting excited about an upcoming gig, but realised too late that in my excitement I forgot to get tickets...

Quote Originally Posted by Dazza82 View Post

Hopefully we scout them this time as Ralph was surprised by the tactics West Ham used. Use the Subs wisely and not too late. Give Adams a better chance off the bench aswell

Can't see Hojbjerg being dropped although he's been poor. And Bednarek doesn't deserve to be dropped. Don't think Boufal will start.

So your team but with Bednarek for Danso, Hojbjerg for Boufal (Armstrong playing further forward).

I don't give a shyte who plays, or in which formation, just get 11 blokes with a bit of pride, desire and bottle, and bloody go for it.

Sent from my SM-T590 using Tapatalk

Yep, got mine a couple of days ago, ordered late as well.

18. Default

Quote Originally Posted by saint97 View Post
    McCarthy
    Valery Vestergaard Bednarek Bertrand
    JWP,Romeu,Armstrong
    Djenepo, Ings, Boufal

Vestergaard or Danso at CB for me next to Bednarek. No chance he'll drop Hojbjerg but would love to see it. Need to mark Grealish out of the game.

Need to ditch the 4-2-2-2 as our central midfield two aren't quick enough for that formation. Think if we play two in midfield up against McGinn and Grealish we'll get torn apart.

Adams in for Boufal if hes not fully fit.
    Quote Originally Posted by Micky View Post
    I don't give a shyte who plays, or in which formation, just get 11 blokes with a bit of pride, desire and bottle, and bloody go for it.

Bloody hell, here here!

Sick of seeing the namby pamby deer in the headlights look. Get 11 who will get ****ing stuck in!!

Quote Originally Posted by Shroppie View Post
    Not me.

Whoops, correction. Senior moment: put it away then forgot.

As did I! Got them about 3 weeks ago and put them away and totally forgot they came! I can’t even blame age unfortunately...

Blog Entries

I am going. It will be my 6th away game .....seen 4 defeats and 1 draw so far. In fact the only away defeat I missed was Spurs. I did however manage not to be at any of the 4 away wins.
    I also saw Eastleigh lose at Crewe!!

We will lose ... unless somebody offers me one million dollars (said in Dr Evil fashion!!). Otherwise just accept our fate!!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ericofarabia View Post
    I am going. It will be my 6th away game .....seen 4 defeats and 1 draw so far. In fact the only away defeat I missed was Spurs. I did however manage not to be at any of the 4 away wins.
    I also saw Eastleigh lose at Crewe!!

We will lose ... unless somebody offers me one million dollars (said in Dr Evil fashion!!). Otherwise just accept our fate!!
    Been to a lot of matches. Are you back in the UK now?

Blog Entries

It just keeps getting harder. If saints were a wife, I would have divorced her by now.

Edit: I'd be celibate though. I couldn't imagine ****ing a different eleven guys
    Last edited by Ohio Saint; 16-12-2019 at 11:34 PM.

Don't get our team...good performances agains Arsenal and Newcastle, only one point to show for it...abject performance against West Ham when we really needed to bring it.

If Ralph is any good he will have the courage to drop Hojberg who looked like a carthorse on Saturday, bring in Armstrong for him. Bertrand is out of form still. Cedric awful - Valery must be better surely? Adams better than Long. Boufal deserves a shot. Romeu better than JWP. Yoshida better than Stephens. Give it a wholesale shake-up.

2-0 Villa. Unless he drops Hoj and Redmond and brings in Yoshida. But he won't. Seem doomed at the moment.

It really doesn’t matter who is in the team, they’re all of the same standard (average)...there’s nobody with the flair to change up a gear and include Boufal and Djenepo in that because their end product is lacking. However, I agree that Hojberg has been awful...a shadow of his former self for some reason...and should be dropped for Romeu. Ings is the only real Prem quality player we have.

We will draw or lose this with two goals in the game. So either 1-1 or 2-0 Villa, the latter being most likely.

26. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Saint Fan CaM View Post
    It really doesn’t matter who is in the team, they’re all of the same standard (average)...there’s nobody with the flair to change up a gear and include Boufal and Djenepo in that because their end product is lacking. However, I agree that Hojberg has been awful...a shadow of his former self for some reason...and should be dropped for Romeu. Ings is the only real Prem quality player we have.

We will draw or lose this with two goals in the game. So either 1-1 or 2-0 Villa, the latter being most likely.
    I know it's only differences of opinion, but I'd argue Djenepo and Boufal - together with Ings are our only hope of Prem survival - they can "change it up a gear". Also, Romeu is clearly the best midfielder the Club has - he should be playing. I understand why Ralph sticks with a player like JWP - he sees his dead ball delivery as a lifeline for a struggling team short on quality - yet playing WP and PEH as a CM leaves the side hopelessly exposed and short on creative drive. If Ralph doesn't shake things up with changes and insist on a few signings in January the pain is going to continue.

But our main problem is when we do get the ball, we push forward to halfway, then stop, come back, knock it about at the back, give it to the 'keeper, etc - gives opposition time to set up defence and then we are stuffed. We need to keep attacking, not stop - someone should drive through (like Son v Burnley even) and others go with the runner to support. As soon as we stop, we may as well give them the ball back, cos we will lose it eventually. And a back 4 does not allow Bertrand to overlap and put in his great crosses - maybe we need 5-3-2 with Romeu back in the middle of the 3.

Quote Originally Posted by kenneth_kenobi View Post
    But our main problem is when we do get the ball, we push forward to halfway, then stop, come back, knock it about at the back, give it to the 'keeper, etc - gives opposition time to set up defence and then we are stuffed. We need to keep attacking, not stop - someone should drive through (like Son v Burnley even) and others go with the runner to support. As soon as we stop, we may as well give them the ball back, cos we will lose it eventually. And a back 4 does not allow Bertrand to overlap and put in his great crosses - maybe we need 5-3-2 with Romeu back in the middle of the 3.
    BIB: This. Never understood why 5 at the back requires 3 CBs. The usual 2 FBs and 2CBs with the addition of a central defensive midfielder slotting in to help out when defending but providing more creativity when we have the ball seems by far the better option.

Just go for it on saturday, changes and rotation can start on Boxing Day at Chelsea (ie Obafemi for Long) injuries and viruses excepted. Just tell Valery not to sit on his Grannies knees at Xmas.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ohio Saint View Post
    Been to a lot of matches. Are you back in the UK now?
    Finally called it a day in Feb ........ for the first time since I left the wet damp miserable weather is getting on my mammaries,
    as is seeing the disaster of a football team keep losing, although to be fair, Wolves, City in League and Newcastle away haven't been too bad, but should have done better in each match result wise.

Watch today 7.30pm the German top game Dortmund against RB Leipzig and watch Leipzig. They play the style RH wants the Saints to play more or less.
    http://livetv.sx/dex/eventinfo/879981_dortmund_leipzig/

The OS front page pic of Kelvin Davis over seeing training and Adams falling over just about sums it up for me. Pretty clear where all this is heading.

Quote Originally Posted by adriansfc View Post
    Villa seem to get a fair amount of plaudits but they've still lost a lot of games. Not sure whether they'll push on to safety or slump really.

But if we lose this, personally I think that's probably it. We might come back and make a fight of it, but I still think we'd go down.

Hoping he doesn't stick with the same team. I think we need Armstrong in games like this. If Boufal is fit, play him, but I'll assume not. Vesterguard is terrible, but I'm still not buying him being worse than Stephens.

McCarthy
    Valery Vesterguard Bednarek Bertrand
    JWP Romeu Armstrong Djenepo
    Long Ings
    Surprised you left Cedric out as he was our best player on Saturday, then again.... perhaps not!

Quote Originally Posted by Dazza82 View Post

If you swap Bednarek for Stephens than yes, best we can hope for.

Entering this batch of games I thought we needed to win more than we lost. So a win against Villa would mean a record of 3-1-2. I'd still be a little disappointed that we dropped points at Newcastle and vs West Ham but would feel we had at least achieved what we needed to stay in contention for the rest of the season. I'm not confident though, we don't have enough good players, and frustratingly Hasenhuttl seems to want to perservere with ones who are either out of form or who aren't even as good as some of the other average players we have.

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Wayman View Post
    The OS front page pic of Kelvin Davis over seeing training and Adams falling over just about sums it up for me. Pretty clear where all this is heading.
    We need a new coaching set up. One that can coach.

Quote Originally Posted by DT View Post
    We need a new coaching set up. One that can coach.
    Ralph certainly needs help, he is not up to the job by himself that is patently clear.

I hoped they'd put out a strong team tonight but 10 changes, so they'll be fresh.

Lose this would you consider a managerial change?

Who would come here realistically would Allardyce be that bad at least we would keep clean sheets....

No point in changing manager. This squad has consistently failed regardless of the manager. The club needs to give him the tools to turn things around, which doesn’t seem likely.

Btw, what happened to this ‘player trading expert’? Isn’t the window open in two weeks or so?

Looking forward to another game where we don’t mark, don’t get anyone within 25 yards of Ings when he has the ball, another stellar oerformance from PEH where he consistently fails with 10 yard passes, and Redmond throwing his hands in the air after yet another f*ck up.

Another Ralph Groundhog Day. What’s not to like?

Quote Originally Posted by ally_uk View Post
    at least we would keep clean sheets....
    The team maybe. Posters on here - never...

I was surprised just how poor we played at the weekend, especially PEH, Cedric and Redmond, so would happily move them out. Cedric has been dreadful for a while, so the sooner (the raw, but very high potential) Valery is back, the better. Redmond still looks like he could be dangerous, it's just not quite clicking, but at the moment (if fit), we should be playing Boufal instead of him. I'm sure once Redmond scores though he'll hopefully gain a bit more confidence back and hopefully get back to his best. Hojbjerg I think is putting too much pressure on himself - worth taking out of the firing line this week and getting Romeu in there as a pair of safe hands.

Ings - Adams
    Boufal - Djenepo
    JWP - Romeu
    Bertrand - Bednarek - who cares - Valery
    McCarthy

Best I can hope for but doesn't seem to be any chance of it happening. I know he didn't start particularly well but I cannot believe the lack of opportunities we've given Adams.

Blog Entries

McCarthy
    Cedric Bednarek Stephens Bertrand
    Romeu
    Armstrong
    Djenepo Boufal
    Ings Redmond

Need to drop Hojbjerg and JWP and play Redmond up front behind/alongside Ings. Our problem Saturday was all about our MF not finding space/showing for the ball resulting in our defenders having no outlets and resorting to the sideways shuffle of old. Until Hojbjerg learns the basics of kicking the ball and passing to teammates he really should be nowhere near the team. Prowse just lacks any dynamism, together they mean no creativity in MF and no defensive capability either.

If Hojbjerg and Redmond are on the start sheet at 2.00 p.m. I will be staying in the Barton Arms!

Any suggestions on parking ?

Just win, or we are starting to get left behind in the league.

49. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Badger View Post
    we plan to park at King Edward VI Aston School in Frederick Road. Was 10 a few years ago, 10min walk to ground, couldn't be easier.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Badger View Post
    I was going to suggest "Maybe The Bus" .... but the wheels on our defensive bus have well and truly fallen off!!