The why of Southampton FC

Turkish

Why does this club exist? In years gone by it was to represent the people of the city. In more recent times it’s become a rich mans hobby and a way to get money out of China.

The match day experience survey I got recently told me all I needed to know about Southampton FC in 2019. What did you think of the food? How was the queues? What did you think of the pre match entertainment?

We are run by a marketing guy and the evidence is there for all to see. Anyone who has been a fan of our club for more than a decade will know we don’t expect champions, we don’t expect to win every week, we want a team that tries hard, plays good football, gives the big clubs a good game and now and again beats them.

Maybe I’m a romantic hankering for the old days but in my humble opinion a club like us should not ask our fans how can we serve you? How can we improve your experience It should tell us how they are going to do it, telling us this is our vision and this is what we are as a club and we as a fans can be inspired by it win, lose or draw. all these bulls7it “we march on” platitudes are not back up. They should inspire us to want to come to st Mary’s, not be asking us how they can get us there. The people running this club do not inspire us to believe it them, they are a joke, a collection of nice people who won’t tell our Chinese friend the truth, well they say the Chinese don’t like losing face, on another forum over 60% of people voted him the worst owner in the premier league. Yes goa, you’re considered worse than mike Ashley and the sullivans.

Why does this club exist? In years gone by it was to represent the people of the city. In more recent times it’s become a rich mans hobby and a way to get money out of China.

The match day experience survey I got recently told me all I needed to know about Southampton FC in 2019. What did you think of the food? How was the queues? What did you think of the pre match entertainment?

We are run by a marketing guy and the evidence is there for all to see. Anyone who has been a fan of our club for more than a decade will know we don’t expect champions, we don’t expect to win every week, we want a team that tries hard, plays good football, gives the big clubs a good game and now and again beats them.

Maybe I’m a romantic hankering for the old days but in my humble opinion a club like us should not ask our fans how can we serve you? How can we improve your experience It should tell us how they are going to do it, telling us this is our vision and this is what we are as a club and we as a fans can be inspired by it win, lose or draw. all these bulls7it “we march on” platitudes are not back up. They should inspire us to want to come to st Mary’s, not be asking us how they can get us there. The people running this club do not inspire us to believe it them, they are a joke, a collection of nice people who won’t tell our Chinese friend the truth, well they say the Chinese don’t like losing face, on another forum over 60% of people voted him the worst owner in the premier league. Yes goa, you’re considered worse than mike Ashley and the sullivans.

Britain fell into decline in the 70's simply because people were NOT asked for their opinions by anybody, so the likes of Triumph, Norton, BMC / Leyland and so on churned out products that the engineers thought "were good for them" but were in fact complete rubbish so people stopped buying them and turned elsewhere. here we are now with no industrial base worth the name.

In my own experience Marketeers can be at times waste of space bull sh*tt*rs but they are also far more likely to find the key to customer satisfaction than a bunch of bean counters or over privileged public schoolboy con-men. When the team is performing as badly as it is at the moment, these guys are probably doing their best to keep as many fans as possible on board. Whether making the match day experience more satisfying helps is a mute point.

Of course there are limits, even offering healthy eating options served at table by waiters probably wouldn't quite offset a 0-9 drubbing on a wet cold November day to make it more bearable on the trudge back home.

I was saying only the other week, "yes we just got dicked nine nil at home, but taken as a whole, queues, burgers, scarves, toileting facilities our match day experience was wonderful, just lacked somebody blowing hot air up our collective arses.

Britain fell into decline in the 70's simply because people were NOT asked for their opinions by anybody, so the likes of Triumph, Norton, BMC / Leyland and so on churned out products that the engineers thought "were good for them" but were in fact complete rubbish so people stopped buying them and turned elsewhere. here we are now with no industrial base worth the name.

In my own experience Marketeers can be at times waste of space bull sh*tt*rs but they are also far more likely to find the key to customer satisfaction than a bunch of bean counters or over privileged public schoolboy con-men. When the team is performing as badly as it is at the moment, these guys are probably doing their best to keep as many fans as possible on board. Whether making the match day experience more satisfying helps is a mute point.

Of course there are limits, even offering healthy eating options served at table by waiters probably wouldn't quite offset a 0-9 drubbing on a wet cold November day to make it more bearable on the trudge back home.

Football clubs are very different Charlie boy. People walk around in football shirts and even get the clubs crest tattooed on their bodies because they want to be part of something, its part of who we are. You don't see people walking around with Leyland tattoos that they got put in their bodies in the 70s do you. the key to customer satisfaction in football is your club representing your city, having an identity and a cause. We aren't going to win anything like 85 or so other clubs so what makes fans keep coming back? What is going to make the next generation want to be part of SFC? At the moment we don't have any identity whatsoever, we're not a club any more we are a business that's trying to squeeze every last drop of cash out of its fan base and offering nothing back.

I was saying only the other week, "yes we just got dicked nine nil at home, but taken as a whole, queues, burgers, scarves, toileting facilities our match day experience was wonderful, just lacked somebody blowing hot air up our collective arses.

They tried that at Burnley at the back end of the 1960's - they put under seat heating into the Cricket End Stand - first time they used it the Chairman saw the wheel in the electric meter glowing as it spun round at light speed and it never got switched on again........So I guess that is still being used as the bench mark to avoid doing so! :D

............Actually just as an aside and no point making a fresh thread as this is slightly on topic.

I was looking on the official site ticket page last night and saw that you can once more buy a Half Season Ticket for £320 starting from the Palace game, firstly I thought the PR on that has been invisible, but what tickled me slightly was the line "if you intend to give this as a Christmas present please order by 15/12" - What kind of message does that send to the recipient "hey I have pots of money - so I can give you (on current form) what will likely turn out to be the most disappointing Christmas gift ever".

Agree completely.

I live away now and went to my first match this season last weekend. The whole thing was rubbish. The atmosphere, the crowd, the players, the bull**** on Twitter around the match, the price.

No one at the club who counts has a clue.

To be honest, I don't think Saints is very different from other club. They are businesses aiming to make as much profit as possible. Saints and the rest stopped being local representatives decades ago. The difference between Saints and the rest is that it is run by someone with little or no knowledge of football and cares even less. I have said both here and elsewhere that people should just stop going and stop buying the rubbish merchandise. Even larger swathes of empty seats on Mo TD should help to concentrate minds.

Sounds like a great day out at the soccer ball, go team!

Southampton exists because people like football. You're annoyed cause we're not very good at it right now. The pies don't matter much.

Very true football because of passion and thats not there atm. Also a sense of belonging to something ,just unfortunatly it happens to be us atm ,its the hand of fate your dealt i suppose.

The bigger and more valuable the club becomes the more it moves away from being local to being global. I can't think of many exceptions to that in the Prem. It is regrettable, but as another poster suggested, it seems to matter less when we're winning.

I'd have thought it would be pretty easy to have a good deal of local interest and business feeding off the club. All food/beer in the concourse to be sourced locally? Would that really be so hard? Programmes to be printed locally. Pre match entertainment (if we really must have it). Probably lots more.

my first game was september 1953 for my 6th birthday/ I have soldiered through bad times and enjoyed the good, but

nowadays what is on offer is so poor that I am wondering why we bother? My love for the club at the moment seems more as a memory of the past than what is currently on offer.

Agree completely.

I live away now and went to my first match this season last weekend. The whole thing was rubbish. The atmosphere, the crowd, the players, the bull**** on Twitter around the match, the price.

No one at the club who counts has a clue.

I had exactly the same feeling at the Bournemouth game, my first home game in two years. The light show, stupidly loud music and the fireworks building up to... distinctly average fare.

Think a lot of the problem that many have forgotten the point of a football club, daft as it sounds, is the football. If you make that good, the rest follows; the crowds will improve, you'll sell more boxes and hospitality, and getting a better team obviously means your players will valued more.

The whole 'matchday experience' surveys and nonsense like that forget people's experience gets better if you're watching a winning product, and the 'football' side of it going for the whole buying players to sell on for a profit have forgotten that you need a good team and environment to help them develop. I'm sure there's a few players we've bought over the last 3-4 years who would be far better had we got that right.

I had exactly the same feeling at the Bournemouth game, my first home game in two years. The light show, stupidly loud music and the fireworks building up to... distinctly average fare.

Think a lot of the problem that many have forgotten the point of a football club, daft as it sounds, is the football. If you make that good, the rest follows; the crowds will improve, you'll sell more boxes and hospitality, and getting a better team obviously means your players will valued more.

The whole 'matchday experience' surveys and nonsense like that forget people's experience gets better if you're watching a winning product, and the 'football' side of it going for the whole buying players to sell on for a profit have forgotten that you need a good team and environment to help them develop. I'm sure there's a few players we've bought over the last 3-4 years who would be far better had we got that right.

Spot on. The club management seem to have complete forgotten we are a football club and are more interested in all the periphery stuff. We have all the match day experience nonsense, midweek smiling faces at training videos, endless virtue signalling, when we exist to be a football club and the better that is then everything else follows.

And it's not just about being crap. I grew up on us being crap and I can handle that. It's the lack of spirit and energy around the team. We were crap but you couldn't tell me Benali, Dodd, Le Tiss, Maddison etc. weren't trying and didn't care.

Now you've got two full backs who don't want to be there. Jobbing players who make enough money from one average PL contract not to ever really need to give a ****. ****s like Lemina and Austin obsessed with making themselves look stupid on Soshal Meejaah etc.

It's depressing. We have no identity and no defining characteristic. Clearly we will never compete financially under Gao and Kat so there's nothing at all to buy into.

It's dead.

And it's not just about being crap. I grew up on us being crap and I can handle that. It's the lack of spirit and energy around the team. We were crap but you couldn't tell me Benali, Dodd, Le Tiss, Maddison etc. weren't trying and didn't care.

Now you've got two full backs who don't want to be there. Jobbing players who make enough money from one average PL contract not to ever really need to give a ****. ****s like Lemina and Austin obsessed with making themselves look stupid on Soshal Meejaah etc.

It's depressing. We have no identity and no defining characteristic. Clearly we will never compete financially under Gao and Kat so there's nothing at all to buy into.

It's dead.

Top post and exactly what I put in my feedback and interestingly enough they didn’t contact me despite ticking the box saying they could :-)

It’s back to the Rupert era radio stations, insurance etc etc bloated squad with average players.

Two of the worst centre halves performance I have ever witnessed and seen a few over the years.

Absolutely ****ting themselves whenever Antonio went near them.

I can handle us being crap but watching them sideways and back not wanting it and panicking is rubbish at least I have a clacker, scarf and JWP every wallpaper Wednesday to look forward to.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Was it? 'Represent' how? Nothing has changed to stop people watching games at the stadium (apart from the dreadful home form for the last 3 years!)

I agree 100% with this but I am guessing if I had written it you would have accused me of having an agenda etc etc? Even so like I said I concur and I welcome the fact you seem on the same wavelength as me.

I agree 100% with this but I am guessing if I had written it you would have accused me of having an agenda etc etc? Even so like I said I concur and I welcome the fact you seem on the same wavelength as me.

The difference is I haven’t complained about everything and anything for years, whoever the owners and management were. I’m sure Martin semmens, Toby Steele etc are decent people but they simply don’t have the experience to run a premier league football club and are completely out of touch with what a fan base like that of Southampton needs. Look at the saints voice ffs, all about promoting women, lgbt, what about actually telling the club what the 98% of other fans who are going to actually shift the needle want?

The difference is I haven’t complained about everything and anything for years, whoever the owners and management were. I’m sure Martin semmens, Toby Steele etc are decent people but they simply don’t have the experience to run a premier league football club and are completely out of touch with what a fan base like that of Southampton needs. Look at the saints voice ffs, all about promoting women, lgbt, what about actually telling the club what the 98% of other fans who are going to actually shift the needle want?

Simply not true. If you look carefully you will see I have genuinely been supportive of the Liebherr regime. I must admit I have been more critical recently because I don’t think the club have been well run. I think you have typecast me. I am no happy clappy I grant you but I love my club. Like you though I have never felt so distant from it. One of the reasons I guess I like delving into its past so much. I was reading the eulogy Mick Channon gave at Bob Charles funeral about football in the 60s yesterday and it made me realise how different it all is now.

What’s the point of any premier league team? Money rules the league, sure there will be seasons where a few of the top 6 will in transition and someone like Leicester will surprise, but any success they have this year will quickly be shut down ax their betteff tv players will get bought by the big boys. Man City and Liverpool are both manoeuvring to increase their commercial revenues and cash in on those foreign fans which means the gap will get even bigger. I am sure it won’t be long till the big clubs demand more from the tv deal as well.

It's all about winning and entertainment, if we were doing what Leicester are currently doing the stadium would be alive and packed to the rafters.

That said I do agree it feels more detached than it was when I started watching, that's not SFC specific though, it's just the way football has gone.

Southampton exists because there are fans. If no one ever turned up then there would not be a point to it, but we do because we love the club and the city and for me I am proud to support Southampton (even if we lose more than we win at the moment).

Marketeers and marketing will always exist, and surveys will happen as it is a quick and easy way to garner some interest. From your pov Turkish they just didn't ask you the correct questions which does not surprise me in the slightest. Im with you though, its all about the football and the players attitude and the style we pursue. The questions they asked gave them answers which are easier to rectify and companies are obsessed with Customer Scores and feedback. The only feedback I have for them is this, spend some money on decent players and give us hope we can win a game or two at home this season!!!Stop taking the **** with ticket prices and encourage a full ground who are there primarily to watch their team fight for a win, and not there for "an experience". An experience is not something that is part of my life, it is something that happens once in a while and will guarantee happy memories. Watching Saints only guarantees heartbreak, excitement and joy, but who knows when and in what proportions from one week to the next.

1) I don't

2) Enlighten us with an answer to the questions

Mr Wrong, over a period of many years you have proven yourself utterly clueless when it comes to understanding anything to do with football which doesn’t relate to a computer generated version of the game, especially when it comes to fan culture. So you stick to statistics and let those of us who know what we’re talking about discuss the real thing.

Mr Wrong, over a period of many years you have proven yourself utterly clueless when it comes to understanding anything to do with football which doesn’t relate to a computer generated version of the game, especially when it comes to fan culture. So you stick to statistics and let those of us who know what we’re talking about discuss the real thing.

No answer... again :rolleyes:

The club are so far from a football club these days and I’ve never felt more detached from them. They exist to virtue signal about free tampons, LGBT, tranny rights etc. They ban anyone who shows any passion, look after their hospitality customers in blocks 1 & 2 over their own fans in those blocks, send out behaviour charters, f*ck us over with **** away allocations and have even stopped releasing news on when away games are on sale. They don’t want us there, they want a stadium full of passionless tourists who will sit on their arses, politely clap and enjoy the light shows. The sooner we go down and can cleanse the club of these non-football marketing bods and get back to being a football club, the better.

£40 to watch us play Palace on Saturday? No wonder people aren’t bothering. Will be sticking to away games, I don’t want to give them my money.

Southampton exists because there are fans. If no one ever turned up then there would not be a point to it, but we do because we love the club and the city and for me I am proud to support Southampton (even if we lose more than we win at the moment).

Marketeers and marketing will always exist, and surveys will happen as it is a quick and easy way to garner some interest. From your pov Turkish they just didn't ask you the correct questions which does not surprise me in the slightest. Im with you though, its all about the football and the players attitude and the style we pursue. The questions they asked gave them answers which are easier to rectify and companies are obsessed with Customer Scores and feedback. The only feedback I have for them is this, spend some money on decent players and give us hope we can win a game or two at home this season!!!Stop taking the **** with ticket prices and encourage a full ground who are there primarily to watch their team fight for a win, and not there for "an experience". An experience is not something that is part of my life, it is something that happens once in a while and will guarantee happy memories. Watching Saints only guarantees heartbreak, excitement and joy, but who knows when and in what proportions from one week to the next.

When I was a kid growing up on the terraces our identity was the dell, Matt le tissier and a team which punched above its weight, now what have we got? When someone outside of Southampton talks to you about the club what do they talk about? The players we’ve sold, that’s all we are known for.

The reality is no one wins at football. Sure you win a game, you may win a trophy, you may have a period of success, but the next game the next season every one is back to zero, teams domainate for a while but they never lasts forever, don’t reach the heights of the previous season the mangers job is at risk, the fans complain, players start to get attracted by other clubs.. For clubs like us where trophies are unrealistic we need an identity and purpose otherwise what is the point? We aren’t a football club these days, as others have said it’s all about virtue signalling, free tampons, happy eid, rainbow laces, trannie flags, even the football related stuff is cringy hash tags and training videos. We need a reason to exist. The club just wants to rise all they can out or the club and drain any passion from the core support that they can with their supporters charter, grassing hotlines. It really is a sorry state of affairs.

When I was a kid growing up on the terraces our identity was the dell, Matt le tissier and a team which punched above its weight, now what have we got? When someone outside of Southampton talks to you about the club what do they talk about? The players we’ve sold, that’s all we are known for.

The reality is no one wins at football. Sure you win a game, you may win a trophy, you may have a period of success, but the next game the next season every one is back to zero, teams domainate for a while but they never lasts forever, don’t reach the heights of the previous season the mangers job is at risk, the fans complain, players start to get attracted by other clubs.. For clubs like us where trophies are unrealistic we need an identity and purpose otherwise what is the point? We aren’t a football club these days, as others have said it’s all about virtue signalling, free tampons, happy eid, rainbow laces, trannie flags, even the football related stuff is cringy hash tags and training videos. We need a reason to exist. The club just wants to rise all they can out or the club and drain any passion from the core support that they can with their supporters charter, grassing hotlines. It really is a sorry state of affairs.

That post is excellent. Absolutely spot on.

And you don't think we punch above our weight today?? I'm sure fans of clubs like Leeds, Sheffield Wednesday, Sunderland would rather be in the EPL than elsewhere.

That post is excellent. Absolutely spot on.

It’s a terrible post. Your generation welcomed sky, the premier league and its riches with open arms. We are reaping what you sowed. Professional football in its entirety is broken. This isn’t a Southampton problem.

And you don't think we punch above our weight today?? I'm sure fans of clubs like Leeds, Sheffield Wednesday, Sunderland would rather be in the EPL than elsewhere.

Again you don't get it, it's not about being good or bad, it's about our club having an identity, we don't have one at the moment. All we are known for these days is the club that sold all their best players.

Totally agree with the first paragraph. It's exactly that. The winning I was referring to was simply from game to game....during the 80s and 90s at the Dell when we won a game it was the same feeling whether we were doing well or fighting to survive.

But you're right, what do people refer to; the players we have sold or the team we "could have". Pretty s***.

I know we seem to have had our differences but I can't tell you how much I agree with this. I do wonder "what is the point" often these days especially as the football has been so dire. If I see another motivational slogan I think I will scream.