Goal of the Decade?

Lighthouse

There's a chance to vote for this on the OS but well worth a thread for some of the absolute belters. Nominate your top three for 'best moment' and 'best quality

Best Moment

1) Gabbi's equaliser at Wembley. Absolute limbs for a good minute.

2) Lambert at Fratton.

3) Long at Anfield (probably would be second if I'd been there)

Best quality

1) Martina vs Arsenal

2) Osvaldo vs Man City. Utter helmet though he was, that goal was something else.

3) Pelle vs QPR

OS Link https://www.southamptonfc.com/goal-of-the-decade

Boufal against West Brom is far better than Martina in my opinion.

Running from your own half past a few players, a lovely shift and a calm finish is better than a lucky punt from 30 yards any day in my book.

I love Osvaldo's goal. Was magnificent.

Best moment is Long at Anfield. There's not even any point discussing that one as far as I'm concerned.

Runner up in that category is Gabbi at Swansea, then his goal in the final.

That video on the official site sure does bring back some great memories - do feel there’s a few big omissions though. The Schneiderlin goal at home to Newcastle which capped off a 20 something pass move probably pips the goal at Bristol Rovers, and there was also that Connolly goal after 30 odd passes against Middlesbrough which people would still talk about now if it was United or Barca that scored it.

In terms of what it meant at the time Barnard to complete the comeback against MK Dons was massive goal, things could have been very different but for that comeback.

Jay Rod v Fulham at Craven Cottage is up there for me. The pass by Lambert and the finish. Great day.

That was a great goal in terms of quality, brilliant pass, great run and finish in front a a quality saints end that day.

Longs against Liverpool was something else though, only thing that comes close celebration wise was lamberts goal at st Mary’s in the fa cup and at frstton in the league v Pompey.

That video on the official site sure does bring back some great memories - do feel there’s a few big omissions though. The Schneiderlin goal at home to Newcastle which capped off a 20 something pass move probably pips the goal at Bristol Rovers, and there was also that Connolly goal after 30 odd passes against Middlesbrough which people would still talk about now if it was United or Barca that scored it.

In terms of what it meant at the time Barnard to complete the comeback against MK Dons was massive goal, things could have been very different but for that comeback.

Great shouts.

That MK Dons match was brilliant. Praise be to Johnno Quick.

Great shouts.

That MK Dons match was brilliant. Praise be to Johnno Quick.

I always thought that game was the moment the heat was turned up under the team and the lid welded shut - we looked pretty pants until Johnno Quick came on - First touch "oops we've signed Ali Dia MKII" groans all around, 2nd touch back of the net likewise with the 3rd touch all within minutes. We had 9 games after that and bagged 24 of the 27 points left on the table, and it was a pretty competitive league that year.

Hard to choose the best goal of the Decade - i could throw in Dean Hammond against Leeds first day of the season back in the Championship just ran across the top of the Leeds box then Bang!!!!! Ladies and Gentlemen, Boys and Girls please fasten your seatbelts because we are going on a ride.

I liked Martinas goal because that is one of those lightening never strikes twice moments that football throws up. Boxing Day - Bloody evening kick off - Wet - Too Sober for a Boxing day - Saints had not been playing well in recent weeks - It was Arsenal who were on their usual roll - Then from nowhere miles out what looked like an aimless punt is suddenly lighting the blue touch paper. Come the final whistle ho cares its late and your stone cold sober on a boxing day.

...............I wonder if that Long goal at Anfield was the one where he did the deal with the Devil, and his little run of goals last season was when the Devils back was turned. :p

Errrr thoughts on today’s 2nd?

Was bloody marvellous. To be a bit nit-picky, on the replays I'm not sure Armstrong gets the penultimate touch before Redmond scores, isn't a slightly lucky bounce off a Chelsea defender into Redmond's path? Not sure.

Didn't we get a goal in the Championship days where there were somethign like 35 Saints touches of the ball leading to the goal?

If that goal had been scored by today’s Oppos or any of the big clubs, and cast European ones in too, the Kleenex factory would be offering double time tomorrow for an extra shift to meet the sudden increase demand every time it was played in its entirety.

As a Saints fan seeing a goal calmly constructed like that gives you the hope that seemed miles away in recent times.

Was bloody marvellous. To be a bit nit-picky, on the replays I'm not sure Armstrong gets the penultimate touch before Redmond scores, isn't a slightly lucky bounce off a Chelsea defender into Redmond's path? Not sure.

Didn't we get a goal in the Championship days where there were somethign like 35 Saints touches of the ball leading to the goal?

It was a superb team move.

But.... it is a zero pass move goal because it is Kante that kicks it to Redmond, not Armstrong

Yes. Third goal v middlesbro. Connelly scored after countless passes. Cracking goal

I'm sure Lallana got one in the Poortvliet total football days that sounds similar. Guessing that must have been 2008ish though.

• 2 weeks later...