Martin Peters RIP

Winnersaint

Was one of the first midfield players to score goals by arriving late in the box, or ghosting in as it was called then. I used to play in the back four in the early days when playing football but eventually moved into midfield and copied players like Peters style, then later John Walk. England under Alf Ramsey was a very difficult team to beat. Martin Peters was a big part of the team during that period. Terrific footballer. RIP

It is a shame that this thread has only 2 replies. Perhaps the people his contribution to our nation and football is dying out. Whilst he didnt play for Saints he was someone I looked up to and admired. I recall the thrill as a kid going to the Dell and watching him with Moore and Hurst, and then when he played at Spurs. RIP Martin you are the way a modern footballer should behave, not the 'look at me' types we have now

Edited by OldNick

It is a shame that this thread has only 2 replies. Perhaps the people his contribution to our nation and football is dying out. Whilst he didnt play for Saints he was someone I looked up to and admired. I recall the thrill as a kid going to the Dell and watching him with Moore and Hurst, and then when he played at Spurs. RIP Martin you are the way a modern footballer should behave, not the 'look at me' types we have now

Basically he was only really famous for something that happened 53 years ago and nobody younger than their mid sixties will really remember that World Cup.

He played in the same era as George Best and was one of the best midfield players of his time. If fact, Alf Ramsey was quoted as saying that he was 10 years ahead of his time and he was spot on. He was a quiet, model professional which is probably why there hasn’t been much of a reaction, but those of us who saw him play in that era will remember him as much at the Bests, the Greaves and the Laws.

He played in the same era as George Best and was one of the best midfield players of his time. If fact, Alf Ramsey was quoted as saying that he was 10 years ahead of his time and he was spot on. He was a quiet, model professional which is probably why there hasn’t been much of a reaction, but those of us who saw him play in that era will remember him as much at the Bests, the Greaves and the Laws.

Yes indeed, one of the all-time greats. Not spectacular but deadly effective. I saw his first goal on his debut for Tottenham against Coventry. A trademark far post header, if I remember correctly.