Chelsea vs Saints - Boxing Day Build-up

SuperSAINT

Wonder how much we will rotate considering we have a much more winnable game vs injury hit Palace on 28th?

Surely Ings can't start both considering his injury history and how vital he is to us?

No real full back options to change but a few elsewhere.

Wonder how much we will rotate considering we have a much more winnable game vs injury hit Palace on 28th?

Surely Ings can't start both considering his injury history and how vital he is to us?

Agree, would rest Ings vs Chelsea...

McCarthy

Cedric - Stephens - Bednarek - Bertrand

JWP - Romeu

Armstrong - Boufal

Adams - Long

Subs: Gunn, Yoshida, Danso, Hojbjerg, Redmond, Obefemi, Ings

McCarthy

JWP - Romeu

Armstrong - Boufal

Adams - Long

If Ings is rested I'd have Redmond instead of Long or Adams there. Agreed Romeu definitely should start in front of the back 4. But unfortunately RH will probably pick PEH again.

P.S. For those who say our attack is fine, why buy a striker, apart from Ings who do we have up front who can actually score goals?

Tricky game. They've had a little drop in results recently though.
They're not great at home. Breaking down teams that set up deep is not their strength without Hazard to pull the strings.

I think Lampard is quite limited tactically.

Unfortunately, we don't play that way - we've been adventurous and open on the road, and half decent as a result. But that'll probably suit Chelsea quite nicely.

Sent from my F3311 using Tapatalk

McCarthy

JWP - Romeu

Armstrong - Boufal

Adams - Long

You just don't rest an in form striker. The worst thing you could do. Ings' fitness is not an issue, the type of injury he has had in the past could happen anytime. Probably more likely to score away at Chelski than at home anyway. We desparately need someone else to start scoring some goals though (an attacking player not Stephens) if only it was not Long forming a decent pairing with Ings, because he is getting plenty of chances.

You just don't rest an in form striker. The worst thing you could do. Ings' fitness is not an issue, the type of injury he has had in the past could happen anytime. Probably more likely to score away at Chelski than at home anyway. We desparately need someone else to start scoring some goals though (an attacking player not Stephens) if only it was not Long forming a decent pairing with Ings, because he is getting plenty of chances.

Totally agree. If Ings feels he's fit to play both games and our medical staff agree, it would be mad to drop him for Chelsea

Totally agree. If Ings feels he's fit to play both games and our medical staff agree, it would be mad to drop him for Chelsea
Fair point. Yep, if the medical experts say he can cope with 3 games in a week, then agree, he should start. I was working on the assumption that there would be an element of risk in him playing several games in quick succession. Last thing we need is for him to pick up a hamstring injury, or such like. But, if the risk of such an eventuality is relatively low then unleash the Ings!

Interesting to see what rotation happens. We can’t rotate fullbacks, I don’t think we should with cb’s or gk. We’ve only really Romeu or slattery as potential midfield options.

If we’re going to rotate a striker i’d Prefer to see long rotated or the likes of obafemi.

You could always take ings off early if the game is gone to protect him.

I think as we play much better away from our terrible home support it would be good to name a unchanged line up and use the morale boost of yesterday's result. If Bournemouth can snatch a undeserved win no reason we cant collect something.

i had hoped we would have got 10 points from last 5 games but still 9 is good.

Next 7 games are not pretty and i would take 6pts any more will be a plus. We might not be in such a good position after them so dont everyone start panicking again. We have another block of 5 like we just had.

Despite recent success in 4-2-2-2 I would not be surprised to see us go to a 5-4-1 for this. There are less than 48 hours between finishing in London and kicking off on saturday and it is unrealistic to imagine you could play two high pressing games with same personnel so its either mass changes or a different ways of playing, sitting in and being hard to beat. As I other shave said Chelsea have found things easier away from home with more space this year.

McCarthy

Cedric

Stephens

Yoshida

Bednarek

Bertrand

Romeu

Hoj

JWP

Redmond

Adams

Rest Armstrong, Ings and Long and have them fresh for Palace

Although Chelsea beat Spurs 2-0 today they didn't look that much of a force to me and a lot of their play was long balls back to front in the hope that the strikers could latch onto them. Dodgy penalty decision flattered them and Spurs were woeful and just didn't turn up. Jose has some work to do there while Lampard's team are quite ploddy and predictable compared to recent Chelseas sides.

Saints ought to get something from this game if they hustle and harried their way to victory as they did yesterday.

28,000 fans at SMS v measly 1500/2500 at away games. I doubt so-called 'away fans' have much to do with our relative success on the road. In any case aren't they mostly the same people?

It’s not the amount. I’d rather play in front of 2,500 behind you then 28,000 whining, morning, groaning and ironically cheering.

It’s not the amount. I’d rather play in front of 2,500 behind you then 28,000 whining, morning, groaning and ironically cheering.

Completely agree with this...pity is, home support is getting worse nearly every game unless we’re 3 goals up.

Chelsea were very good against Spurs, so I can’t see us getting anything from the game. Lucky draw might be within our grasp, but it’s an outside chance.

We play better away from home because the home team generally attack more which then gives us space to play in. We always struggle against the 10 players behind the ball type of teams. I think Chelsea at theirs are expected to attack so we will get chances just depends on who the chances fall to and how many chances we get. I’d be happy with a draw.

We play better away from home because the home team generally attack more which then gives us space to play in. We always struggle against the 10 players behind the ball type of teams. I think Chelsea at theirs are expected to attack so we will get chances just depends on who the chances fall to and how many chances we get. I’d be happy with a draw.

I'd be delighted with a draw!

Those saying drop Ings are mad

To keep him fresh for a game we have a better chance of winning?

Everyone being paranoid that if we lose Ings to injury, we're fooked, is justified. Give him a game off (or take the bench), tell him to stay out of the kitchen and get him fresh for Palace. He won't forget where the goal is. Adams desperately needs to score a goal.

Completely agree with this...pity is, home support is getting worse nearly every game unless we’re 3 goals up.

Chelsea were very good against Spurs, so I can’t see us getting anything from the game. Lucky draw might be within our grasp, but it’s an outside chance.

That's because they are probably exactly like you, and go to every game proclaiming that we will lose.

Those saying that it might be an idea to rest Ings, unless the club's medical experts reckon he can cope with 3 games in a week without risking an over excursion related injury such as a hamstring pull, are mad

Fixed for you, to better reflect what people are actually saying. You're welcome ;)

So you don't agree Saints look better as an away team and Chelsea are not invincible vs bottom half sides as their last home game showed?
I agree we have a better track record away from home. (All the more reason to try and fix that particular issue)

Just because Chelsea lost their last home game against a team below them, it doesn't logically follow that they are prone to losing at home to a similar team again in the next home game. If anything, it could be argued that they will be trying harder not to let it happen twice in a row. (Indeed, would be interesting to see the stats on how many times the 'big 6' have lost two home games on the bounce against lower table sides. My guess would be under 20% of the time, if not less)

Either way, my hunch is that resting (starting on the bench) Ings Vs Chelsea could work out best for us IF there is any doubt that playing 3 games in a week puts him at greater risk of injuries such as a strained hamstring. I'm not citing any scientific reasoning for this, it's just a gut feel. I could be right, I could be wrong. C'est la vie.

Edited by trousers

To keep him fresh for a game we have a better chance of winning?

Everyone being paranoid that if we lose Ings to injury, we're fooked, is justified. Give him a game off (or take the bench), tell him to stay out of the kitchen and get him fresh for Palace. He won't forget where the goal is. Adams desperately needs to score a goal.

Absolutely. In particular avoid like the plague table legs and large bottles of salad cream.

Although Chelsea beat Spurs 2-0 today they didn't look that much of a force to me and a lot of their play was long balls back to front in the hope that the strikers could latch onto them. Dodgy penalty decision flattered them and Spurs were woeful and just didn't turn up. Jose has some work to do there while Lampard's team are quite ploddy and predictable compared to recent Chelseas sides.

Saints ought to get something from this game if they hustle and harried their way to victory as they did yesterday.

’Dodgy penalty’! Charlie, behave, it was assault.

Interesting to see what rotation happens. We can’t rotate fullbacks, I don’t think we should with cb’s or gk. We’ve only really Romeu or slattery as potential midfield options.

If we’re going to rotate a striker i’d Prefer to see long rotated or the likes of obafemi.

You could always take ings off early if the game is gone to protect him.

I might be behind the curve here- where's Valery? Where's Djenepo?

This.

Saints hardcore away support make more noise than most parts of St Mary’s and get behind the team. Most away fans have watched Saints for decades and don’t just appear when Saints are playing in the premier league or playing well.

I think as we play much better away from our terrible home support it would be good to name a unchanged line up and use the morale boost of yesterday's result. If Bournemouth can snatch a undeserved win no reason we cant collect something.

i had hoped we would have got 10 points from last 5 games but still 9 is good.

Next 7 games are not pretty and i would take 6pts any more will be a plus. We might not be in such a good position after them so dont everyone start panicking again. We have another block of 5 like we just had.

Lol

Djenepo, Valery still out. Long very doubtful but Boufal probably back.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

I've not seen press conference but surely Boufal is training and fit to play now, he stubbed his toe weeks ago, something doesn't seem right with that.

Shame Long is injured, he has made a difference recently creating space for Ings.

I've not seen press conference but surely Boufal is training and fit to play now, he stubbed his toe weeks ago, something doesn't seem right with that.

He is training now, but as Hassenhuttl has mentioned in a number of press conferences and interviews.... Boufal isn't merely a stubbed toe... he damaged tendons and has required multiple injections.

He is training now, but as Hassenhuttl has mentioned in a number of press conferences and interviews.... Boufal isn't merely a stubbed toe... he damaged tendons and has required multiple injections.

you don't reckon that there is not a whiff of being kept back because of a potential transfer?