Blasphemy and Duck Rape

Yorkshire Saint

As others have said, your stubbornness is unreal. I hate to burst your bubble, but your understanding / interpretation may not be correct.

An allegory, by its nature, is open to interpretation. Just dare to open your mind and do a bit of research into the metaphor interpretation.

How do you decide which bits of the Bible are metaphors and which bits aren't? Leaving it to interpretation leads to schisms and wars!

This is deeply flawed and irrelevant as The Bible is claimed by many to be the infallible word of god. It is not comparable to a person using such phrases.

How some interpret the stories is a matter for them. However, if their interpretation is that Noah really built a big boat, it matters not to nobody else. The world won't end because that's what they believe. By the same token, the world won't end because you have a closed mind.

How some interpret the stories is a matter for them. However, if their interpretation is that Noah really built a big boat, it matters not to nobody else. The world won't end because that's what they believe. By the same token, the world won't end because you have a closed mind.

How do you decide which bits of the Bible are metaphors and which bits aren't? Leaving it to interpretation leads to schisms and wars! Why would a kind and loving god do that? He sounds inept at getting his message across!

How do you decide which bits of the Bible are metaphors and which bits aren't? Leaving it to interpretation leads to schisms and wars!

I'm not helping you move the goalposts to another part of the Bible. However, do some research as I've suggested, and you'll see reference to various bible stories that are widely felt to be allegory / metaphorical.

I'm not helping you move the goalposts to another part of the Bible. However, do some research as I've suggested, and you'll see reference to various bible stories that are widely felt to be allegory / metaphorical.

That post does not move the goalposts. It is very much on topic of allegory and metaphor. So what is your answer?

That post does not move the goalposts. It is very much on topic of allegory and metaphor. So what is your answer?

I repeat that I am not helping you move the goalposts. If you can use Wikipedia, you can use Google. Do some research of your own. Noah and The Ark is not literal. Ditto other parts of the Bible.

Pray for Matthew

1) Why has prayer never grown a leg back for an amputee yet people claim it has healed them from cancer?

2) Could it be that cancer naturally can go into remission without medical treatment and people are thinking prayer did it?

3) Growing a new leg does not happen in nature for humans and so people cannot claim prayer grew a leg

4) The lack of amputees growing new limbs proves prayer does not work.

I repeat that I am not helping you move the goalposts. If you can use Wikipedia, you can use Google. Do some research of your own. Noah and The Ark is not literal. Ditto other parts of the Bible.

Lots of Christians think it is literal. That is why they goto the Ark museum which claims the flood literally happened!

:mcinnes:

Yet again... another completely flawed comparison.

- The name of a barbers or pub is irrelevant to getting a pint or haircut.

- Why would a non literal Noah ark believing person want to visit this place...?

It is a museum full of claims of the literal flood story! The exhibits claim it literally happened!

:lol: You have serious issues, everything goes over your head

:lol: You have serious issues, everything goes over your head

You were talking about the pub and barbers to attempt to show that names of places doesn't mean people who go there believe it is literal. That is irrelevant in the case of a pub or barbers. The Noah story has no bearing on a pint or a haircut. However the vast majority of people who go to a museum in a giant Noah's ark that claims the story literally happened would also believe it literally happened.

Lots of Christians think it is literal. That is why they goto the Ark museum which claims the flood literally happened!

You've said. I've explained that I can understand why. Tell me how Mary from Tennessee believing that Noah built a big boat impacts on you.

Pray for Matthew

1) Why has prayer never grown a leg back for an amputee yet people claim it has healed them from cancer?

2) Could it be that cancer naturally can go into remission without medical treatment and people are thinking prayer did it?

3) Growing a new leg does not happen in nature for humans and so people cannot claim prayer grew a leg

Ok, now I’m genuinely concerned about you.

You were talking about the pub and barbers to attempt to show that names of places doesn't mean people who go there believe it is literal. That is irrelevant in the case of a pub or barbers. The Noah story has no bearing on a pint or a haircut. However the vast majority of people who go to a museum in a giant Noah's ark that claims the story literally happened would also believe it literally happened.

It was a joke you utter helmet :mcinnes::lol::lol:

Pray for Matthew

Ok, now I’m genuinely concerned about you.

Can you explain why I'm wrong about prayer?

wpid-39scy.jpg

Apparently it works for cancer (which can go into remission on its own naturally)... but not amputees! Strange that! :rolleyes:

Can you explain why I'm wrong about prayer?

wpid-39scy.jpg

Apparently it works for cancer (which can go into remission on its own naturally)... but not amputees! Strange that! :rolleyes:

Your comments about prayer, and why people pray and what they pray for, highlights your complete lack of understanding. And no, I can't be arsed to elaborate.

You've said. I've explained that I can understand why. Tell me how Mary from Tennessee believing that Noah built a big boat impacts on you.

If Mary from Tennessee runs for Governor or President then her actions based on her illogical beliefs impact others in wider society.

It doesn't even need to be her running for office, beliefs impact actions and actions impact society. Collectively a large number of Americans believing Noah's flood literally happened impact on the global community.

An ABC news poll found...

- 61% of Americans believe the account of creation in the Bible’s book of Genesis is “literally true” rather than a story meant as a “lesson.”

- 60% percent believe in the story of Noah’s ark and a global flood

- 64% agree that Moses parted the Red Sea to save fleeing Jews from their Egyptian captors

If Mary from Tennessee runs for Governor or President then her actions based on her illogical beliefs impact others in wider society.

It doesn't even need to be her running for office, beliefs impact actions and actions impact society. Collectively a large number of Americans believing Noah's flood literally happened impact on the global community.

- 61% of Americans believe the account of creation in the Bible’s book of Genesis is “literally true” rather than a story meant as a “lesson.”

- 64% agree that Moses parted the Red Sea to save fleeing Jews from their Egyptian captors

So, someone interpreting an allegory in the way you do, is only a big issue if they run for a senior government position. Got that. Let's say Mary worked in a shop, how does it impact on you? The truth, of course, is that it doesn't but for some reason you're incapable of allowing people to think freely, notwithstanding that it makes no difference to you or anyone else.

Your comments about prayer, and why people pray and what they pray for, highlights your complete lack of understanding.

1) Do people pray for others to be healed from cancer? Yes or No

2) Does cancer naturally go into remission? Yes or No

3) Yet do people claim it is the prayer that healed the cancer? Yes or No

4) Has an amputee ever grown a new leg? Yes or No

So, someone interpreting an allegory in the way you do, is only a big issue if they run for a senior government position. Got that. Let's say Mary worked in a shop, how does it impact on you? The truth, of course, is that it doesn't but for some reason you're incapable of allowing people to think freely, notwithstanding that it makes no difference to you or anyone else.

I guess you decided to skip the second paragraph in my post which explain that!

I guess you decided to skip the second paragraph in my post which explain that!

I read it. I asked how it impacts you. All this effort kind of suggests it really matters to your life. In any event, if you interpret the story literally, who are you to judge if other people do.

1) Do people pray for others to be healed from cancer? Yes or No

2) Does cancer naturally go into remission? Yes or No

3) Yet do people claim it is the prayer that healed the cancer? Yes or No

4) Has an amputee ever grown a new leg? Yes or No

I refer to my previous comment re prayer. You are a man of assumptions, presumptions, and misunderstandings.

If, however, someone chooses to pray for their uncle tom to be cured of some ill, let them crack on. It may give them some comfort. It sure doesn't impact on you or me.

I read it. I asked how it impacts you. All this effort kind of suggests it really matters to your life. In any event, if you interpret the story literally, who are you to judge if other people do.

These people are more likely to be Republican voters. Republican voters picked Trump... Trump impacts the world including you and me.

I refer to my previous comment re prayer. You are a man of assumptions, presumptions, and misunderstandings.

If, however, someone chooses to pray for their uncle tom to be cured of some ill, let them crack on. It may give them some comfort. It sure doesn't impact on you or me.

Why can't you answer the 4 yes or no questions?

Why can't you answer the 4 yes or no questions?

Because they're stupid. I've dealt with the point in my response. You have your own beliefs about what other people do and why, and somehow think it's relevant to you. That says more about you than them.

I would LOVE to know what happens in MLGs life for such a vociferous performance on this thread. Definite issues here.

Apparently it's cos Trump is president, and that's cos people believe Noah built a boat. And that affects everyone.

MLG 76 posts in a single day about a subject he doesn’t think ever happened. Just think how utterly mental that is. :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

The tolerant humanist live and let live attitude on display from an angry zealot.

These people are more likely to be Republican voters. Republican voters picked Trump... Trump impacts the world including you and me.

Wow.

Thank God that's over.

It certainly ended in a blaze of glory. It was like a fighter that needed a knock out in the 12th round coming out and giving everything but the other fighters superior jabbing, movement and skill ensuring it was all huff and puff with MLG never landing meaningful blows.

It certainly ended in a blaze of glory. It was like a fighter that needed a knock out in the 12th round coming out and giving everything but the other fighters superior jabbing, movement and skill ensuring it was all huff and puff with MLG never landing meaningful blows.

giphy.gif

'never landing meaningful blows' :D

You failed to competently refute any of my points.

giphy.gif

'never landing meaningful blows' :D

You failed to competently refute any of my points.

Another comprehensive title defence. I hold belts for the main board, the lounge and muppet show. Maybe you should set your sights on the computer games belt, you’d have a good chance with that,

• Lighthouse changed the title to Blasphemy and Duck Rape