Are we playing Chelsea twice in the first half of the season?

USA SaintsFan

I think it quite often happens that we play the same team twice in the first half of a season. Particularly when festive season fixtures have to be arranged......

They try to arrange ‘local’ derbies over this period. That doesn’t explain why Saints were drawn away at Newcastle on New Years Day though.

Chelsea specifically, probably, teams in general absolutely. You know there were times when teams used to be played as double headers, home one weekend, away the next.

In the 50's it was the same team home and away on Christmas day and then Boxing day.

Interesting. Guess I haven't been around long enough to witness that.

Although generally you tend to play different teams before having repeated match ups, I don't believe there's any strict rule about it. You would also think that the fixtures would be evenly spaced out, so that the team you play first is also the first team that you play twice, but the fixtures have never worked that way (even though you do generally find that you wouldn't play the same team in August and in April). There is often some overlap around this time of year where you might play teams a second time before you have played another team at all.